New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: (Pathfinder) Against the Ogres

Gri, as it turns out, was still in her rage.

But even under the influence of Kill Mode, she can still hear and process what the others are saying, and, without missing a beat, takes a swipe at the mummy's head with her flaming claws to make sure it doesn't get any ideas.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

Two flame clawattacks. This'll teach that mummy!

(1d20+16)[24] (1d8+4)[5] (1d6)[6]
    (1d20+16)[21] (1d8+4)[7] (1d6)[1]

..I'm not sure if this will combust the dry wrappings if it's just a corpse, but it can't hurt... I guess...
    <BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

"Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."

2. - Top - End - #242
    Ogre in the Playground

As Gri takes a swipe at the mummy's head it quickly burns, lucky that is all that burns due to the stone throne it is situated on. Quickly the group deduces the voice the heard must have been a magic mouth and the mummy was just a plain ol' mummy, not the animated curse inducing kind.

You all take the day to gather yourselves and the equipment found then head off back to Thend. You are all greeted with cheers as much as dumbfounded looks as the prospect of your return was no something many were counting on You make you way to Elorin's tower and present to him the orb. "Well done, brave heroes. You have carried out your mission, rescued not only townsfolk but other travelers, and saved Taran's life. I am proud to reward you with the gold you were promised. You have made the land safe for our residents again!." Taran adds 'Oh thank you, my friends. Truly you have saved my life."

You uand over the orb to Elorin who chants some eldritch words of power, almost tangible to the touch. The Orb grows brightly before shattering and falling to dust before you very eyes. "Better to destroy it than let it fall into evil hands." He says noticeably fatigued from the spell.

OOC: Everybody is rewarded with 3,000 instead of the agreed 2,500 gold (due to the townsfolk being rescued) and all the items have been identified. as follows If there is not a level designation. It is the lowest caster level available for that particular item

+1 long sword
    +1 courageous heavy mace
    Ring of Vanish (3/day at 5th level)
    5 Potions of cure light wounds (all the blue vials), 3 potions of cure lights wounds at 3rd level.
    scrolls of
    Arcane: Magic Missile, Knock
    Divine: Spiritual weapon, Magic Weapon, Comprehend Languages
    +1 keen dagger
    +2 short sword

3. - Top - End - #243
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Callan rubs his hands and grins, "Right then, that's done. Shall we regroup at the tavern? I still need that drink, and I have a proposal to make."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Callan could make use of the ring of vanish, but then so could others I imagine. Same for the arcane scrolls. Probably distribute the potions relatively equally. Callan has no use for the other items.

Is there a purveyor of magic items in town? I could do with some shopping
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-
    Guides, tables, and other useful tools for 5E D&D

4. - Top - End - #244
    Titan in the Playground

The dwarven archer, now that they are safely within the towns walls, visibly relaxes, a small but obvious tension releasing, like the bowstring once it has sent the arrow along it's path. "A drink ur tew soun's gud ta me. Props'l, eh? Likin' tha soun's o'that." he says with a grin as they make their way down to the nearest tavern.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ogre in the Playground

The group all go back to the Tavern who finds their bill settled by the elf lord. Talking about what has happened and whatever it is Callan wants to propose.

OOC: Yep, you can buy magical items. Elorin is the most likely choice, though Delver the blacksmith might have some, and of course there are chances of traveling merchants.

You guys have now as much downtime as needed, just let me know when you are all ready to continue on with the adventure.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Sticky is quickly ensconced underneath a table and given a raw chicken, feathers and all, to munch on.

Callan orders a tall mug of the tavern's best ale and savors it for a bit, "So, you guys did good work in there. Got most of the job done even before I was around to make things look good. I don't normally do this, but you've convinced me. I think we ought to stick together, make this sort of thing our main gig. Get a name, a commission, and, ooh, a flag! Gotta have a flag. We can be professional ogre ass kickers rather than just moonlighting at it."

"So, what do you say?"
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-

7. - Top - End - #247
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Gar

"I'll take 2 please." Gar buys an ale for each hand. "You guys handled yourself well - even when things got hairy. I'd be a fool to seek out less skilled company. I'm also glad to be rid of that powerful relic and I'll sleep safer knowing it was destroyed and is out of reach of nar-do-wells ... such as myself" He winks in jest.

Show

Gar has his eye on the +2 short sword - he'll toss back the vanishing ring he took temporary possession of and if need be kick in some coins to make it fair.

I guess we should count up the rough value of loot and then figure out what the split is, I suspect the +2 weapon is disproportionately more then the average.

Thoughts ? objections ? Anyone else need that sword ?

8. - Top - End - #248
    Titan in the Playground

After taking a long draw on his drinking and giving a loud belch in appreciation, Zed nods. "Kickin' da ogres in tha rear seems a good a thing ta do as anything fer the countryside an'da nermal folk."

Spoiler
    Show

The only thing that Zed would have been interested would have been the ring but he is happy with the gold.
    Anyone TWF? That dagger might be handy if you are.
    Last edited by razorback; 2019-09-10 at 05:44 PM.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ogre in the Playground

"I'll stick with any personal guard I can get," Obret appears to only be half joking. "I'm not sure about kicking others, but working with the same group for a while sounds nice."

Show
    If no one really cares about the weapons, Obret wouldn't mind taking the mace. Edit: He really doesn't care about the other items, and won't insist on an even split.
    Last edited by sandmote; 2019-09-14 at 12:46 AM.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ettin in the Playground

The drink in front of the half elf is a mere tankard, but Gri has been casually helping herself to an entire rack of ribs in the tavern. She shows no sign of slowing down even as the others talk.

"We work well and I'm hunting monsters anyway with or without you all. So I'll stay with you all. ...You're gonna keep paying for my food in towns, though, right? she seems completely serious while asking this with half a rib bone sticking from her maw.

Show

Gri is keeping that short sword. Best weapon she can use when outside of rage.

The dagger, she doesn't mind giving up to pawn/sell for any kind of party fund, provided that she gets a cure mod potion or two. I wouldn't be against getting that ring, but since she can't sneak attack, just hit someone at flatfooted AC, I think Zed has priority for it.
    <BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

"Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."

11. - Top - End - #251
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Callan finishes his mug and thumps it down, "All right then! we stick together. Callan's Outriders are on the job! Erm, no? Okay we can work on the name."

12. - Top - End - #252
    Ettin in the Playground

"...I don't have a horse. Not a rider, unless you want to buy me one of those, too."

13. - Top - End - #253
    Titan in the Playground

"Canya see me legs danglin' off 'orsy, he? Not a pretty sight, lad, not'all." he says with a last drink. "'A'right, lets make ita pact 'ntil den, eh?" Zed says as he orders another round for the group.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Callan waves his empty mug around nonchalantly, "We just got paid more than enough for horses. Or whatever else your legs would look pretty danglin' off of. If we're going to be roaming the countryside in hunting down trouble we'll all need some way of getting around quickly right? Whether we're chasing or being chased, more speed is always good."

"So anyways, this Elorin guy put you on the trail of that orb thingy right? He pays very well apparently, so how about in the morning we go back and see if he's got anything else that needs doing? Right now though, I intend to enjoy this ale, and see if any of these pretty ladies want to dance with a short but limber man."

Show
    Speaking of "more speed is always good" I would be interested in making "geckoshoes of speed". I can make normal horseshoes of speed easily enough, but nailing metal to her feet just seems wrong oddly enough. This would let her keep up with a horse at full speed. Permission to proceed?
    Last edited by Daishain; 2019-09-15 at 09:33 PM.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Ogre in the Playground

Callan manages to find one woman to dance with him, a half-elfish girl who steps on his feet more than one occasion, she apologizes each times with a blush. Everyone can tell it is not from lack of grace, but from the difference in partner sizes. She of course, not used to dancing with somebody a bit over 2 feet shorter than her. You all have a good time the next couple of days, planning on recouping injuries and getting to know each other better, both personally and in combat abilities.

You start to make your way to Elorin's tower, but are intercepted by the town crier. He looks ragged and nervous. He takes a moment to catch his breath. "You have been summoned before Mayor Kleine."

He leads you to town hall and into the great meeting chamber the Mayor, who is a late middle-aged man with peppered hair and a long beard, seated behind a large raised desk in a padded wooden chair. "Adventures," He says gravely, "I have alarming news. Scouts have reported seeing hobgolins* and bugbears entering Bittriln. It is rumored they have taken the gnome burrow-town and are negotiating a powerful alliance with the intent of sweeping into the land and driving out all opposition forever. This alliance must be stopped at all costs."

He looks to each of you individually before continuing. "So adventurers, we need you to drive the goblinoids from Bittriln and rescue any gnomes there. Futhermore, you must prevent any treaty, and any from escaping. Both races are violent, and bugbears are suspicious. There is a good chance they will turn against each other if their people do not return."

* remember hobgoblins are not evil as a race, but they are militant. They would be Lawful Neutral- google hobgoblin legionnaire to get a visual of what the typical hobgoblin warrior looks like
    Last edited by ngilop; 2019-09-16 at 02:01 PM.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Ogre in the Playground

Obret shakes his head solemnly during the suggestion for mounts. Upon hearing the town crier he responds, "I must keep myself fed. I must avoid falling ill. I must breath," he replies pointedly. "But if it'll keep out an invasion, I suppose I can help keep a counter strike force going," he continues less harshly.

Turning back to the party he asks, "might the rest of you join in a defense of the area?"

17. - Top - End - #257
    Ettin in the Playground

Show

Are there horse wranglers in the area? Gri is SO going to by a heavy warhorse if nobody stops her, but she wants to know what her options are for a horse, barding and such...

Gri tilts her head. "So, they strong-arming the gnomes into a bad treaty, or are they actually conquering them like tyrants?" She gathers the Mayor doesn't want his village to get the same treatment, but Gri is cautious when confronted with what can only be a political situation.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Gar

Gar tilted his head a little. "I think the treaty we are preventing is between the hobgolins and the bugbears. If we kill all the invaders from the gnome city the mayor thinks their alliance will fall apart." Gar suggests but didn't seem certain.

"I mean if we want to be subtle, we could try and frame each side for breaking the treaty. Stick a hobgoblin blade in a bugbear body and drag it on the road to the city to be found etc. Stick up a bunch of signs along the road that the city is under the control of the hobgoblin tribes and their slaves the bugbears. Stuff like that"

Gar looks over his new group of friends and ponders for a moment. "Well or we could just do the direct approach and kill everything over 3 and a half feet tall." Gar shrugged. He seemed happy with either approach.
    Last edited by Ragnarok'n'Roll; 2019-09-16 at 08:11 PM. Reason: inadvertent bad word and wrong color

19. - Top - End - #259
    Titan in the Playground

"I got no luv fer the hobbies an da bugbears... well, dey be bugbears, eh? I'dda need ta stock up on some arrows but can be gud ta go shortly. Speedily, if'n we can manage, eh?" Zed says to the others when prompted by the mayor. "Anyting inya stables to help? Maybe da armory, too?"

20. - Top - End - #260
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Callan states, "Sure, we should be able to manage that. On the whole none leave alive thing, if you want to be sure of that, we'll probably need a few more hands. A small squad of archers to stand watch and shoot anyone that slips past us should do the trick. Once things turn against them, they'll have a dozen ways to run, and we can't watch them all at once."

21. - Top - End - #261
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Gar

Gar ponders for a few moments. "Well its gnomes and a burrow-town. Might be a limited number of ways in and out. It might not take much effort to bottle it up. or it might be an unpluggable mess of holes everywhere. Any of us been there before?" Gar asks the group

22. - Top - End - #262
    Titan in the Playground

"Nar, neva been there but looks liken' w'r all gonna hava chance, eh?"

23. - Top - End - #263
    Ogre in the Playground

The Mayor thinks for a moment about sending troops to Bittriln before answering " I would assume that yo,u being such capable warriors, would not need any such assistance. But, I could send a guide to lead you there."

It started to rain, just a light drizzle, while you were gathering what you all felt you needed on this journey. You meet the guide in front of the West Wind stables and travel for 2 rainy days through a craggy ominous landscape of rocky outcrops and steep-sided valleys. You can see occasional tracks of wolves in the mud - notably larger than normal- along with footprints some human sized and other, larger creatures.

Finally, your guide stops short, and points up the steep valley. Near the top of the ridge, you can see an opening. a series of ledges make a zigzag track up the valley side to reach it. Without a word, you guide trots off a distance and begins to set up a camp. You are on your own, and nightfall is setting in.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Ettin in the Playground

Gri had left the meeting to get new gear, eventually returning with at least two new things. For one, she was now carrying an actual blade: a cup hilted rapier with a bronze/green pattern and a crosspiece barely poking out on two sides of the bowl with a pommel intentionally made to look like a greened acorn. She still seems to be adjusting to wearing it but more amazing is that she went out and got a horse. A rather big one with a coal coat and gray mane and feathering, the shire seemed a little ornery (much like Gri,) but while it turned out Gri was a novice rider the war steed had little to be angry about regarding her. He apparently was smart enough to realize a light rider such as her made his job all the easier but he'd bite at anyone else (or rather, anyone larger than Gri) who tried to take his reins.

Sufficed to say, the pair get along well. Gri refers to him eventually as Boulder (which he also likes) and spent the better part of the trip trying out trots, canters and runs, having more fun traveling than she's ever had before.

But as soon as they stop for camp, Gri is her usual all too serious self. With Boulder seen too, she immediately starts gathering materials for lean-tos, and even a fire. Rain or no rain, if you know where to look, you can provide...

Spoiler: OOC/rolls
    Show

Handle animal for her horse: (1d20+5)[17]

Survival checks to make some shelter against the rain, hunting, and starting a fire in that order.

(1d20+7)[8]
    (1d20+7)[24]
    (1d20+7)[18]

25. - Top - End - #265
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Callan is mildly miffed as his entirely sensible suggestion is shrugged off, but he gets over it quickly enough.

On reaching the gnomish town, or at least what is presumably the entry to it, he scratches his chin, "Huh, not what I pictured at all. I guess it won't be too tough to cover the exits after all."

"Okay, the approach could be a problem, we'll probably get whacked off easily if we try to take the main path up. They'll definitely have a watch, and there's not much cover from above it looks like if they want to make it rain arrows and rocks. Hobs and Buggers can both see in the dark right? What do you guys think about taking the long way around? Sticky can climb those steep bits easy enough, and I can set ropes for the rest of you to follow. Get to the top of the ridge, and then we can drop back down onto the entry."

26. - Top - End - #266
    Titan in the Playground

"Eye be no spida, lad, but I can manage ta clim'up iffn it save us da trouble. Course, eye can see in da dark as gud as an'ne hobbie." the gruff dwarf says.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Gar

Gar is mostly silent on the journey. It was clear from his cursing he hated being out in the rain.

"War and strife never seem to pick sunny days" He grumbled at one point during the ride.

Looking up at climb, Gar tilts his head. "I'm an okay climber - but I'm a better lover. My ring can protect me from falling so maybe I should go first with the rope ? " Gar looked at Sticky and tried to size up how well he would climb. "I mean he is likely a better climber but I wouldn't want to see him get hurt. He's been through a lot the past week."

"Up to you though, you know Sticky better."

Spoiler
    Show

Gar had some odds and ends to buy in town before they left:

a light horse(combat trained)
    a Bedroll / blanket
    14 days feed for the horse
    around 20 bottles of cheap wine

====================

-200 Gp ( its less but Gar tips big due to his ego)

Last edited by Ragnarok'n'Roll; 2019-09-21 at 10:25 PM. Reason: Apparently one should capitalize the beginning of a sentence

28. - Top - End - #268
    Ogre in the Playground

"If you like, I can just fly up instead," Obret notes. "Although I'm not great at sneaking." He pulls out some of his own rope and waves it a bit. "A fog could if I'm caught?"

29. - Top - End - #269
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"Sticky can make it, I wouldn't ask her to climb on ceilings right now, but that's the sort of thing she does when at her best. Let's get going while we still have light."

Show
    Whatever the precise details of the lay of the land, in the interest of moving on, sticking with the basics of what was proposed. Heading up the hill out of view of the probable watchers at the hollow entry, having Callan and sticky lay down rope for any sections that are difficult to simply walk up, then circling around behind to approach unseen.
    Last edited by Daishain; 2019-09-25 at 06:32 PM.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Titan in the Playground

"Unless ya gonna ferry the lot'o'us up, guessin' we be clmbin', eh?' Zed says to Obret with a wink.

Spoiler
    Show

Climb checks, as needed.
    (1d20+9)[25]
    (1d20+9)[25]
    (1d20+9)[29]
    (1d20+9)[24]
    (1d20+9)[13]