New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Why did Loki screw over Hel?

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    It brought impressiveness!
    Well, I mean...
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    What do you mean?
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Halfling in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    Hel makes it sound like winning the bet gives you something more than just the power of the souls. Like she'll get the power from all those souls, enough power to be head of her pantheon but she'll also get another choice prize.

If that's true then maybe whatever that is is the key to why Loki set the bet up.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I doubt this is the first such bet. Over billions of worldlives, Lokis probably set up millions of wagers and bets. And, seeing as Gods don't have perfect foresight, they take him up on his hustles because they make things interesting. Sometimes one side of the bet gets screwed, sometimes both sides do. But the point of the bets is that they keep everyone playing. It shakes things up, stops the cycle from becoming boring, and sometimes they create unexpected results. I mean, who could've predicted the chain of events that led to Durkon being given his new divine mission? While the wager wasn't the sole cause of it, the chain would've been broken if Hel had a High Priest at the Moots.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Largely unsupported headcanon: Hel could have ended the bet whenever she wanted, get her normal due of souls back, and make Clerics and participate in the world as usual. All she'd have to do is go to the rest of her pantheon and admit to being wrong. Souls aren't the most important thing, she lost the bet. Just.. admit to choosing wrong. To having lost. She can't do it. She'll go to any lengths to avoid that.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

My hunch is that, for Hel, the point of the bet is exactly what it looks like. Teach her that minding her followers is important if she wants a balanced divine diet. It may screw her up for a world or two, but that's no big deal over divine timespans with their countless millions of worlds. One or two worlds seem like a lot to us, but we've seen how vastly different divine scales are.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Riftwolf View Post
    I doubt this is the first such bet. Over billions of worldlives, Lokis probably set up millions of wagers and bets. And, seeing as Gods don't have perfect foresight, they take him up on his hustles because they make things interesting. Sometimes one side of the bet gets screwed, sometimes both sides do. But the point of the bets is that they keep everyone playing. It shakes things up, stops the cycle from becoming boring, and sometimes they create unexpected results. I mean, who could've predicted the chain of events that led to Durkon being given his new divine mission? While the wager wasn't the sole cause of it, the chain would've been broken if Hel had a High Priest at the Moots.
    seconding this. i'll bet almost every god of every pantheon has had a bet like this going at some point or another. In this instance though Hel was involved, and she's taking things more seriously then everyone else did.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #37
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post
    yeah i seriously doubt there was anything inherently malicious or planned about it all. Loki is a trickster god, most likely he just thought it'd be funny.
    Yeah, this. Loki's whole schtick is playing tricks on the other Gods, both in real-world mythology and in OotS.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Just to put a few things into perspective:

In 1140 Durkon speculated there are "millions [of worlds], maybe billions". Let's take a somewhat conservative estimate from that and say 50 million.

A human that lived for 90 years, has lived for 32,872 days or 788,928 hours or 47,335,680 minutes ...

Those gods have likely survived more worlds than a human lifespan has MINUTES!

What Loki did to Hel was more of a prank that will clear up and will be forgotten or laughed about together in 10 minutes than anything life threatening.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

Loki is kind of a living reminder that most of the more devastating events in history have as their reason : ‘It seemed like a good idea at the time’.
    Yeah. (Not sure if that's Rich's intent, but it fits like a glove). Hold my beer ...
    Loki is a trickster god, most likely he just thought it'd be funny.
    Arrival of the-weirdo in 3, 2, 1 to laud the very essence of being chaotic ... hey, where did he go?
    Why can't it just be "Loki (Trickster god) was tricking his family members (Again)"?
    That's my baseline assumption.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    The equivalent of scamming her out of money for this world, to make himself richer in the process.
    This also fits.
    Quote Originally Posted by hroþila View Post
    Seven Bananjas. Maybe more.
    Duelling bananjas?

Quote Originally Posted by Morquard View Post
    Those gods have likely survived more worlds than a human lifespan has MINUTES!
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

10. - Top - End - #40

Maybe the plan is not primarily about Hel, but about Loki getting followers:
    The stupid setup means dwarves need to die honorably in order to avoid Hell (note Loki proposed this exception!).
    ALTERNATIVELY, they can be followers of Loki - if they are of a certain mindset that fits.
    What, you wish to follow a different chaotic evil diety? Like a goddess of sickness and disease, maybe? Too bad, she doesn't do clerics in this world......
    So, choose Loki or bust!

(yes there are MORE gods, but still one goddess less for competition is good for Loki,I'd guess)
    Boytoy of the -Fan-Club
    What? It's not my fault we don't get a good-aligned female paragon of promiscuity!

I heard Blue is the color of irony on the internet.

I once fought against a dozen people defending a lady - until the mods took me down in the end.
    Want to see my prison tatoo?

*Branded for double posting*
    Sometimes, being bad feels so good.

11. - Top - End - #41

I believe in the Grey Wolf Theory: that Loki was able to kill two birds with one stone. He not only screwed over Hel, but also Thor, by having him, a (seemingly) Chaotic god, be the biggest patron of one of the most Lawful societies on the Material Plane. I also wonder if it wouldn't have an effect on Thor like the non-magic-believers had on Odin, in messing him up somewhat for the next iteration of the planet.
    I wonder if Loki was responsible for Odin's mental health issues. I suspect we're never going to find out though.
    Ever wondered how many games are mentioned in the comic? I have listed them all in a geeklist: https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/2...es-order-stick

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

My guess would be that Loki hates the undead (which is stated in-comic) and since Hel's domain includes the undead, he did it because weakening Hel would mean fewer and weaker undead.

13. - Top - End - #43

GreataxeFighterGirl

To thread q:

Why not?

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Duelling bananjas?
    Yes. Formally speaking, "bananjas" would only be appropriate to the two parties in the duel with respect to each other, while for a third party observer "bananja" would be correct conjugation....But traditionally, "bananjas" was used to additionally imply a duel was taking place; so it's still considered correct to say dueling baninjas are undertaking bananjas, and was so even before "bananja"'s noun formulation was widely accepted.
    Last edited by Jasdoif; 2019-03-09 at 02:21 PM.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

15. - Top - End - #45
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by dps View Post
    My guess would be that Loki hates the undead (which is stated in-comic) and since Hel's domain includes the undead, he did it because weakening Hel would mean fewer and weaker undead.
    My question is, for how many worlds' time has Loki hated the undead?
    This signature was written by me, Aveline, to indicate that this message was written by me, Aveline.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Aveline View Post
    My question is, for how many worlds' time has Loki hated the undead?
    How many worlds even have undead?
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

17. - Top - End - #47

How many worlds even have undead?
    While we have insufficient information to answer that, I would point out that undead creatures - or undead-like creatures - are a fairly common element of fantasy settings. Not universal, of course, but fairly common.

Also, assuming that a deity of X is a deity of X because the deity is in some way interested in X (as opposed to being a deity of X because mortals chose to ascribe X to the deity or consider X to be related to the deity's domains), it's relatively likely that X is going to be something common across most of the worlds that the deity had a hand in creating.

18. - Top - End - #48

Quote Originally Posted by Aeson View Post
    While we have insufficient information to answer that, I would point out that undead creatures - or undead-like creatures - are a fairly common element of fantasy settings. Not universal, of course, but fairly common.

Also, assuming that a deity of X is a deity of X because the deity is in some way interested in X (as opposed to being a deity of X because mortals chose to ascribe X to the deity or consider X to be related to the deity's domains), it's relatively likely that X is going to be something common across most of the worlds that the deity had a hand in creating.
    Yes, but there's nothing saying that most, or even a significant portion, of the worlds were fantasy settings. There was a sentient movie theater snacks world, after all, which likely had a patron deity of ice, and a deity who hated the sliced jalapeños that go with nachos, just to give examples.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

Yes, but there's nothing saying that most, or even a significant portion, of the worlds were fantasy settings. There was a sentient movie theater snacks world, after all, which likely had a patron deity of ice, and a deity who hated the sliced jalapeños that go with nachos, just to give examples.
    The sentient snacks used magic.
    Forum Wisdom

20. - Top - End - #50

The sentient snacks used magic.
    From my point of view they used midichlorians.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

From my point of view they used midichlorians.
    Those don't make the flashy lights. Maybe get your point of view checked by a point of eye doctor?
    Forum Wisdom

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

The Freezer was an overdeity who didn't grant spells or otherwise interact with sentient snacks. The Slushie, on the other hand....
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

23. - Top - End - #53

Those don't make the flashy lights. Maybe get your point of view checked by a point of eye doctor?
    The doc said nothing was medically wrong but I seem to be losing the will to live. The healthcare system in this universe is ridiculous.

Anyway, yeah, on further reflection I might be wrong. It's definitely possible (even very likely) that magic, and undead, and everything else they are patron gods of exist in every world.

24. - Top - End - #54

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Humanist View Post
    I wonder if Loki was responsible for Odin's mental health issues. I suspect we're never going to find out though.
    Well, yeah, works don't usually tend to answer questions they don't pose. There's no reason to actually assume Loki was involved with Odin's situation besides "He's Loki, so obviously he's involved with everything."

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

The doc said nothing was medically wrong but I seem to be losing the will to live. The healthcare system in this universe is ridiculous.
    What's his degree in? Alternatively, who does he specialize in treating?

Anyway, yeah, on further reflection I might be wrong. It's definitely possible (even very likely) that magic, and undead, and everything else they are patron gods of exist in every world.
    I think that the job descriptions are a bit flexible, though (Else you have frost giants next to sentient pizzas), in gritty cyberpunk world, Hel might have had dominion over technozombies.

EDIT: Also I don't think loki could trick a in-command-of-all-his-mental-faculties Odin. One is a trickster, the other is a planner.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2019-03-09 at 05:21 PM.
    Forum Wisdom

26. - Top - End - #56

Art history.
    [URL="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAKtZ_r0V6E"]I think that the job descriptions are a bit flexible, though (Else you have frost giants next to sentient pizzas)
    You mean the big ice cubes?

27. - Top - End - #57
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

I remember Hilgya talking about choosing Loki because his followers had some kind of exemption to the rules of honour? I don't remember the exact quote but if that's the case, Loki becomes the primary candidate of worship to any dwarf that doesn't want to live a life of subservience.

28. - Top - End - #58

Quote Originally Posted by Papa_Hewi View Post
    I remember Hilgya talking about choosing Loki because his followers had some kind of exemption to the rules of honour? I don't remember the exact quote but if that's the case, Loki becomes the primary candidate of worship to any dwarf that doesn't want to live a life of subservience.
    That's 1113, and it's a theory, not a rule. Big gamble, and one won't pay off, if you ask me.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

, and it's a theory, not a rule. Big gamble, and one won't pay off, if you ask me.
    Doesn't have to pay off, Loki just has to think it's a good idea. Best case scenario is he becomes the primary god of his pantheon, worst case scenario he has to talk down his angry, and at this point, easily manipulated daughter who's now the most powerful Northern God.

Note when I say easily manipulated I mean in Loki's mind. Tricksters like him rarely expect major repercussions for their actions, and he could argue that it was his plan to make his loving daughter the ruler the entire time. He's got to have a ridiculous bluff modifier after all.

(Had to delete the link since this is a new account, thank you for posting it)

30. - Top - End - #60

Quote Originally Posted by Papa_Hewi View Post
    Doesn't have to pay off
    For the dwarves it does. Hilgya is the only one we've seen to espouse that theory, and her judgement is... let's call it severely compromised.