New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: For Science! A Guide to the Revisited Artificer

I really appreciate the recent updates to the guide.

I think you really might want to consider the assumption that all artificers will be backliners.

My warforged artificer will admittedly have a +1 ac to help, but it does add up to a 21 AC with medium Armor using shield and I fused armor even at low levels and access to shield and absorb elements.

As a battlesmith I can have 2 attacks - Shield and Returning spear plus polearm master and sentinel on the front lines makes a good front line tanker. Perhaps not the best at damage but can really be a great protector of the squishy folk.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Firbolg in the Playground

Awesome guide. Few things to keep on mind:
    The dragonmarked spells are explicitly added to the class spell list so a few options open up for SII or crafting. Knock and warding bond for non Battle smith stand out.

Shield master is really good with the capstone. Even with a 14 in Dex you have a good chance of negating a lot of damage. It may not be the best feat but for some builds the additional survivability is worth noting.
    what is the point of living if you can't deadlift?

All credit to the amazing avatar goes to thoroughlyS

3. - Top - End - #63
    Pixie in the Playground

In the post where you talk about Infusions, it appears you missed everything alphabetically before "Reproduce Magic Item"

Boots of the Winding Path - Repeating Shot may have accidentally been removed when you were making updates.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Halfling in the Playground

GnomePirate

Ah, thank you, that's exactly what happened.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Troll in the Playground

First: Truly, thank you for the guide. I know you've worked quite tirelessly over the months as the Artificer has been refined, and your work is not unnoticed. Thank you.

When it comes to the Artificer, the only question I struggle with is... Why should I pick Artificer over ____? Why should I go Artificer over Ranger, or Paladin? Or Wizard or Bard?

I think the Artificer very well fulfills the 'sixth man' role. The 'We need a jack of all trades' sort. I think its quite similar to a magic-oriented Rogue, in the sense of a skillmonkey, someone that has the answer to the problem.

Artificer seems exceptionally great for certain campaigns where monsters have resistance to nonmagical weapons... Looking at you, Avernus and Strahd.

From an optimization perspective, I don't see ways to really squeeze blood from the stone, so to speak. Rangers and Paladins, we all know ways to cheese them a bit to really get bang for your buck. I don't really see how to with the Artificer. (Note: Not saying that's a bad thing.)

6. - Top - End - #66
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

I feel like the fire genasi is a good option that is getting overlooked.

7. - Top - End - #67

GnomePirate

Definitely an accurate assessment. I see the Artificer occupying a similar niche to Bard, as an intermediate of caster and Rogue, leaning closer to Rogue while Bard leans more toward caster. In exchange for only being a half caster, it keeps the Rogue's lockpicking utility and boasts higher damage and bulk than the Bard does. It's also easily the best crafter, for those whose games are able to include that dimension. While I'm not under the delusion that it's overall at the same power level as the Bard, I think it brings enough and has some distinct stuff to offer to any table.

For combat optimization, yeah the utility class definitely has fewer directions to pursue, similar to how Fighter or Barbarian bring less to non-combat pillars. TSAR is one of the better methods, and something that only the Artificer doesn't have to go out of the way to be able to do.
    Last edited by Languid_Duck; 2019-11-19 at 02:26 PM.

8. - Top - End - #68

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by Teaguethebean View Post
    I feel like the fire genasi is a good option that is getting overlooked.
    Can I ask why? It has fantastic stat boosts, but only brings Darkvision (which most races have), Fire Resistance (helpful!), and two spells that scale off a secondary stat. Produce Flame does worse damage than Fire Bolt, even before the latter benefits from the level 5 features of Alchemist and Artillerist, and it's lighting is easily emulated with Light or one of the Magical Tinkering options. It's just underpowered compared to some more bloated race options.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Trustypeaches View Post
    A few suggestions.

Arcane Jolt: Green -> Blue
    It's not the extra damage that's amazing, it's the ACTION-LESS CHEAP HEALING. Screw healing word or other subclasses with bonus action healing like Dream Druids and Celestial Warlocks, you're able to revive unconscious targets without using an action, bonus action, or even a reaction. That's crazy good.

Arcane Turret: Gold -> Blue
    I also still think you're overvaluing the Arcane Turret a bit given their drawbacks, personally. I won't restate since I've said it all before, but I'd only rank it Blue. You can reference my earlier points here

Returning Weapon (Infusion): Gold -> Blue
    Even if you have someone in your party who can make use of Thrown Weapons, it's not exactly an "optimal" strategy worthy of gold ranking IMO. It's the only way to make the "Thrown" playstyle viable, but the Thrown build is still bad compared to other options.

Arcane Weapon (Spell): Blue-> Gold
    I have no idea why this isn't ranked at gold tbh. Repeating Infusion + Arcane Weapon crossbows is the Artificer's hands down best damage option, even if you only leave your Dex at 16 and focus on Intelligence.

I look forward to seeing your updated rankings for the new spells added to their list like Faerie Fire and Vitriolic Sphere.
    Stupid question - Where is the Arcane Weapon spell from? I can't remember seeing it.
    He was born with a gift of laughter and the sense that the world was mad --Rafael Sabatini

10. - Top - End - #70
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Arcane weapon was a spell on the more recent UA for the artificer, unfortunately it didn't survive to actually be printed in the Eberron books.

11. - Top - End - #71

I just realized RAW the BS steel defender cannot grapple or shove. Not a big deal but with it's athletic proficiency that grows with lvs it would have been a nice option.

12. - Top - End - #72

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Languid_Duck View Post
    [CENTER]Subclasses
    Tools of the Trade: Armor crafting is great on paper, but depends on how generous your DM is and how well you two are able to navigate/compromise on the crafting rules.
    One thing to note is that alchemists get fabricate at high level, which combined with armor smithing let's you instantly craft things that normally take literally years to make; plate armor is the longest duration crafting in the game outside of magic items. This may make it slightly better than other crafting options-but it's somewhat niche, if only because you need to be level 13 to do it.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGuy

You might want to edit Fortified Position, from what I've seen it only takes 1 action to summon both turrets (still only takes your bonus action to use both).

14. - Top - End - #74

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by MrCharlie View Post
    One thing to note is that alchemists get fabricate at high level, which combined with armor smithing let's you instantly craft things that normally take literally years to make; plate armor is the longest duration crafting in the game outside of magic items. This may make it slightly better than other crafting options-but it's somewhat niche, if only because you need to be level 13 to do it.

That's true, but any Artificer that gets Smith's Tools is going to be exactly as awesome at using the spell in this way as a Battle Smith would be, since there aren't any more subclass-specific crafting bonuses.

Quote Originally Posted by porkpotpie View Post
    You might want to edit Fortified Position, from what I've seen it only takes 1 action to summon both turrets (still only takes your bonus action to use both).
    Ah, forgot to fix that, thank you for catching it.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Bugbear in the Playground

Spell Sniper: Wizard gives some cool options or attack roll spells, and caster builds can enjoy the ignoring of cover.
    I think you've missed one of the biggest draws of Spell Sniper - all spells with an attack roll, have their ranged DOUBLED.
    this is very effective for Artillerists.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The Tools of the Trade feature for each specialization lost the crafting bonus.

17. - Top - End - #77

Quote Originally Posted by Graymage View Post
    The Tools of the Trade feature for each specialization lost the crafting bonus.
    I was moved to lv 10 under magical item adept. Sucks it got pushed back but now it effects all magic item crafting.
    Good news everyone! Plate armor stays as the hardest nonmagical gear to craft.

18. - Top - End - #78

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by bronzemountain View Post
    Stupid question - Where is the Arcane Weapon spell from? I can't remember seeing it.
    It was in the UA but was removed when the class was released in Rising from the last war.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Languid_Duck View Post
    Mounted Combatant: A Battle Smith could put this to tremendous use. In addition to the usual benefits, you and your Defender can now both impose disadvantage on attacks against the other, improving staying power.
    Maybe I'm dense, but how do you and your Defender impose disadvantage on attacks against each other? My brain is not connecting the dots.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Troll in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by intently View Post
    Maybe I'm dense, but how do you and your Defender impose disadvantage on attacks against each other? My brain is not connecting the dots.
    With mounted combatant you can force people to attack you not the Defender (provided you're a small race to mount it), the Defender can then use it's reaction to impose disadvantage on one attack.
    For D&D 5e Builds, Tips, News and more see our Youtube Channel Dork Forge

Feel free to message for any build requests or challenges

21. - Top - End - #81

NecromancerGuy

One thing that occurred to me is that you can easily give a steel defender your infusions and buff them-in particular gauntlets of ogre strength and the belt of giant strength-making these ones more powerful even if you don't have a party member that uses them.

Also, fire shield actually gives you the opposite damage from the resistance. So a chill shield grants fire resistance, and does cold damage. A warm shield grants cold resistance, and does fire damage. Hence, it's more useful than one may imagine.

I just realized; Hand bow artificers can use a shield with their repeating weapon, because you can fire it without ammo. You don't need two hands to use it in any way.
    Last edited by MrCharlie; 2019-11-25 at 04:17 PM.

22. - Top - End - #82

Quote Originally Posted by MrCharlie View Post
    One thing that occurred to me is that you can easily give a steel defender your infusions and buff them-in particular gauntlets of ogre strength and the belt of giant strength-making these ones more powerful even if you don't have a party member that uses them.

Also, fire shield actually gives you the opposite damage from the resistance. So a chill shield grants fire resistance, and does cold damage. A warm shield grants cold resistance, and does fire damage. Hence, it's more useful than one may imagine.

I just realized; Hand bow artificers can use a shield with their repeating weapon, because you can fire it without ammo. You don't need two hands to use it in any way.
    The only problem with SD and your infusions is that it can't benefit from any of the level 2 ones.
    As you level you get better more general items but battle Smith will most likely be using all their infusions on themselves for the first few levels.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dork_Forge View Post
    With mounted combatant you can force people to attack you not the Defender (provided you're a small race to mount it), the Defender can then use it's reaction to impose disadvantage on one attack.
    Thank you.

The part I quoted said you and your Defender can now both impose disadvantage on attacks against the other. How does the Artificer impose disadvantage on attacks aimed at the Defender?
    Last edited by intently; 2019-11-25 at 05:13 PM.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by stoutstien View Post
    I just realized RAW the BS steel defender cannot grapple or shove. Not a big deal but with it's athletic proficiency that grows with lvs it would have been a nice option.
    Is that so? I was under the impression that when making an attack, you can exchange one of your attacks for a shove or grapple attempt. Raw I don’t think there’s a “grapple action” specifically

25. - Top - End - #85

Quote Originally Posted by Dualswinger View Post
    Is that so? I was under the impression that when making an attack, you can exchange one of your attacks for a shove or grapple attempt. Raw I don’t think there’s a “grapple action” specifically
    That is only true if the attack action is made but the SD doesn't use the attack action. Id allow it to grapple but just thought it was odd.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGirl

Query: Is there any benefit to outfitting a SD with a str boosting item? It seems according to their profile that it's damage is based off your proficiency modifier rather than any of its actual stats.

Also, say that I was a level 5 ranger, who then at level 8 gained a Steel Defender. Would my proficiency bonus increase be applied retroactively?
    Last edited by Dualswinger; 2019-11-26 at 11:59 AM.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Dualswinger View Post
    Query: Is there any benefit to outfitting a SD with a str boosting item? It seems according to their profile that it's damage is based off your proficiency modifier rather than any of its actual stats.
    Yes, a creature's strength modifier is always added to the attack and damage rolls of melee weapon attacks as a general rule: stat blocks include this in the attacks for simplicity, but the mechanic is still there, and if a creature's strength changes so does the attack and damage bonus.

Also, say that I was a level 5 ranger, who then at level 8 gained a Steel Defender. Would my proficiency bonus increase be applied retroactively?
    By RAW? No, but it's a poorly worded feature and I think most DMs will allow it to work properly even if you took your levels "in the wrong order".

28. - Top - End - #88

Quote Originally Posted by Damon_Tor View Post
    Yes, a creature's strength modifier is always added to the attack and damage rolls of melee weapon attacks as a general rule: stat blocks include this in the attacks for simplicity, but the mechanic is still there, and if a creature's strength changes so does the attack and damage bonus.

By RAW? No, but it's a poorly worded feature and I think most DMs will allow it to work properly even if you took your levels "in the wrong order".
    I don't know on the str to attack for SD. I would personally rule it would work but no idea if it was attentional.

29. - Top - End - #89

Planetar

Fantastic guide! Thank you so much for putting this together. I've been planning my warforged artificer for awhile, and this is really helping me smooth out the edges.

My only real nitpick is I think you're underrating the continual flame spell. I'd give it a purple rating for one reason: the flame lasts "until dispelled." This is a bad spell to keep prepared all the time, but it's a great spell to prepare every once in awhile. You can put together a rough lantern, cast continual flame on a bead, put it in the lantern and boom! You never need a torch or the light cantrip again. Then on your next long rest, you can prepare a different spell and still reap the benefits of your magic lantern.
    Last edited by Legimus; 2019-11-26 at 02:19 PM.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Troll in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by intently View Post
    Thank you.

The part I quoted said you and your Defender can now both impose disadvantage on attacks against the other. How does the Artificer impose disadvantage on attacks aimed at the Defender?
    You can't, my reply was the only interpretation I could think of for what they said. Though arguably since you have better AC and defenses making the SD immune to attack is better thanimpsoing disadvantage.
    For D&D 5e Builds, Tips, News and more see our Youtube Channel Dork Forge

Feel free to message for any build requests or challenges