Thread: TW: Imperium IC

1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: TW: Imperium IC

Zaqaru Ball

Enigma 7

Spoiler: Zaqaru Ball
    Show
    Many are the guests present at the ball. From House Mertens to House Bosque, the guests come from far and wide. But the guests also come from close by, as the Zaqaru vassals are present as well. Most of these are of the same ethnicity as Zaqaru, though there are obvious minorities present. The most prominent representative of a minority is Grand Administrator Caksya Gupta, as she is an earl at the Zaqaru Council. If there are tensions regarding the minorities, at least none will be found here in the Zaqaru Ball, where things are organised well from the Zaqaru side.

Grand Diplomat Ningilga Zaqaru is the Councillor making the most rounds at the Zaqaru Ball, tending to the guests wishes with a humble grace. He is married, just like the other members of the Council, attending the Zaqaru Ball in the role of host. Dressed in a noble blue coat with golden rim, he steps towards Erid and Marus Excagon, welcoming them to the Zaqaru Ball.

Enigma 7

Spoiler: Ningilga Zaqaru’s welcome to Erid and Marus Excagon
    Show
    “Welcome to the Zaqaru Ball. I am Grand Diplomat Ningilga Zaqaru and am happy to help you with any questions or requests you may have. If you wish to know about the guests, desire directions or have something else you wish to ask, please feel free.” Grand Diplomat Ningilga humbly presents himself.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Spoiler: Readable to those on SIght Only
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zweanslord View Post
    [center]Zaqaru Ball
    Spoiler: Nabuna’s first dance with Saundri of House Arnos
    Show
    The quick dancing steps, the deep music, Nabuna is swift in his dance and with a smile moves across the dancing floor. He looks with keen interest to Saundri Arnos and her reaction as he tries to pick up the pace. Knowing she has been in the military, it is clear he is testing how she picks up in the ballfield as compared to the battlefield. As gentleman, he will be sure that should she not be an excellent dancer, he will dial down the pace, though if she proves to be a competent dancer, he is going to pick up the pace even further.

“Saundri, you have my gratitude for being here for the first dance.” Sending up for a spin, he picks up the next line as easily as the next step. “I hope your journey was a pleasant one, for Marqash is many stargates away from your homeworld. I am glad that you could make it here, because your presence holds my interest.” Another step, another tactical move to dodge another pair of dancers.

“You must be well aware the Zaqaru Dynasty is at war with House Sansone. Your personal experience could be a great asset, but I am more interested to know. Are you are the strong woman I can depend upon when the time comes for me to lead the Zaqaru assault.” He gently slows down the dance, trying to see with a careful and interested look how she reacts and how strong she is not just in word, but in the dance itself.

[OOC] If it is public knowledge, how old is Saundri Arnos? If it is not public knowledge, how old does she look?

"You do me a great honor by giving me the first dance. As for the distance, do not worry, I have traveled from one end of the empire to the other many times as part of my military duties." Saundri dances with a sharp mechanical precision. She had prepared for many months, memorizing the proper steps for the many dances popular among the Zaqaru, all while wearing a dress and heels. As Nabuna slows the dance Saundri pulls closer "Weak is the last word anyone would use to describe me. Some may call me stubborn, cruel, or a heartless automaton, but never weak. If you need an enemy killed, a blockade run, or a fleet broken, then I am the woman you want. If you want a pretty flower to show off at a ball, then look elsewhere."
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    It is public knowledge that she is 29 years old.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Troll in the Playground

"House Ytterbus

Enigma 7

Show

Spoiler: Countess Evra and Mutiyama Zaqaru
    Show

"Yes, it is. That's very perceptive of you." Unlike many other cyborgs, Evra's voice synthesizer is top of the line, almost impossible to distinguish from an organic human voice. "Thank you. The ball is quite magnificent, your family has put a lot of effort into making it quite perfect."

Spoiler: House Lyrae
    Show

"We have no love for House Jinx and the services they provide. I await your proposal.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

Zaqaru Ball

Enigma 7

Show
    Nabuna Zaqaru, heir apparent of the Zaqaru Dynasty, is dancing with Saundri Arnos at the center of the Main Ballroom as the music's rhythm becomes faster and more thunderous. A more than capable dancer, Nabuna graciously moves the pair with an eloquent and fast pace underneath the fine details of the ballroom's high ceiling.

Together they speak words, but their dance speaks as well. Where Nabuna tries to test Saundri's pace, she relies on her practised moves to match. Where his feet move with complicated patterns, she follows with a sharp mechanical precision. As the two slow down again and speak, Nabuna's lips form a smile, clearly indicating he enjoys the dance.

Enigma 7

Spoiler: Nabuna's dance with Saundri Arnos
    Show
    “You name exactly those qualities I need in the time to come. I see strength and..” Nabuna's feet move forward in a pattern of the dance beholden to those with a lot of practise, which Saundri clearly had, allowing her to match them “.. and the capability to use it well. I can offer you the opportunity to use those skills, to fight at my side against the enemies of Zaqaru. I still find myself with questions arisen from curiosity.”

Nabuna dances with Saundri, the strong sound of music leading their pace, the two claiming the center of the ballroom with their skill. As the two meet closely for a spin, Nabuna looks at her with a certain fondness, before his eyes take on a more calculated look as they move on close together. “I wonder why you come to find a husband so far from home. Is it for a new challenge, perhaps?” A curious look, which changes with the next dancing step to a frown as he asks: “Family life?” Another turn and then the whispered question as his head passes close: “Or is it something your brother the Duke hopes to gain?”

Further away from the Main Ballroom, at another moment of the Ball, the conversation between Mutiyama Zaqaru and Countess Evra Ytterbus continues.

Enigma 7

Spoiler: Mutiyama Zaqaru’s conversation with Coutess Evra Ytterbus
    Show
    “Your compliment is appreciated. To hear that from one such as yourself, who symbolises the strife towards mechanical perfection, is a pleasure.” Mutiyama looks ponderingly as he inwardly tries to analyse the sound of Evra’s voice.

“At times I find myself envious of the technology available to House Ytterbus.” He says with an appreciative look at the wonder of technology standing before him in the form of Evra. “Though as I have come to understand, it has become a necessity for the continued Ytterbus bloodline. Given that understanding, might I inquire how you view a relation, a marriage?” Mutiyama continues to observe with great interest to the guest standing out amongst the others.

[OOC] For those attending the Zaqaru Ball who have not posted yet, feel free to use details regarding the ballrooms from earlier posts or start conversations with other guests or Zaqaru attendees when making your entrance.
    Last edited by Zweanslord; 2019-03-18 at 09:14 AM.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler: Jungle biome
    Show

"Oooh missives have been sent and not by those in our kingdom no less. It seems the empire really is in an uproar if they are coming to me." The high courtesan crooned. This evening she was within a pleasure palace dedicated to natural things, a biome of wild jungle like atmosphere, many of the plants had been gathered from every corner of the galaxy as had her guests which made love under the canopies and alien tunes played from every type of instrument the galaxy could offer.

She went through each one in turn shocked by some of those that had approached attention seeking her attentions. She brought her fingers to her lips and a moan of delight moved through her as the aphrodisiac paint went from finger to lips. Shaking off the sensations she looked to one of her court, a ravishing maiden in her early 20s someone she had picked out for someone special and whispered in her ear...

Spoiler: The democratic collective
    Show
    The stunning appearence of the high courtesan glowed in a disk which shot up a 3D image of the woman. She wore a ravishing pantsuit with a plunging neckline with rather less jewelry then one would expect of her. Her face however was painted up in the aphrodisiac sensations making her blush and the signs of heated want were painted on her face as she smiled. "My my, the democratic collective coming to speak to the very heart and soul of vice and hedonism within this kingdom. I did not think I would ever see the day First Equal Aethelbyrd. Of course you may send anyone you like. I welcome the oppurtunity to speak with your impressive administration which exists as the finest phase blade against the throat of our empire. I will make sure a magnificent display is put on for your second equal."

Spoiler: House Greenstar
    Show
    The stunning appearence of the high courtesan glowed in a disk which shot up a 3D image of the woman. She was dressed in nothing but lace and various aphrodisiac paints. Her eyes lit up as if she were face to face with house greenflames leader. "My my, someone important from 2 kingdoms over has blessed our humble band of courtesans. It is a pleasure Duke Farid Saquar, I believe your uncle may have found his wife in the territories I now run." She purred from over the disk. "Of course we would be willing to meet, would you like someone sent to your home or will you becoming to our pleasure palaces to talk... Business."

Spoiler: Earl Sandy
    Show
    Earl Sandy is once again greeted by the delighted eyes of the high courtesan. "Well with all this chaos we cannot afford to let your territory be risked to the madness." Another devilish grin. "We ask for a full alliance of course, we provide the protection of our many agents enwrap you in our court and you grant us your military strength and allow us to colonize. You keep your title, and even grant your children access to the magnificent excesses of Taturus and our courts."
    Amazing avatar by Gengy

Empire 4- Vampiric Republic turned Vampiric Oligarchy
    Empire 5- Psychic Daddy

6. - Top - End - #36
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

House Greenflame

Enigma 4

The Yunmer drifted lazily in low orbit over Iteru IX, her drive quiet as the drag-vacs drew in fresh essential gasses and water vapor. The Admiral of the Haytham fleet paced the bridge. The Yumer was an older, Crusader pattern cruiser, so the bridge had a wide open design, with room for a captain to pace. One of the few things Arda missed about the Imperial designs.

“Mail Drone returning skipper, grab beam locked.” the comms officer was calm, but his words sent a ripple of tension through the bridge, it had been almost two days since the news of the Emperor's death had been sent on to the Freehold, along with a proposal to renew the Reclamation Truce.

Arda Saqar suppressed a shudder, he was sure neither side wanted a renewal of hostilities, and this proposal was little more than a formality, but the risk of some lunatic on either side causing an incident had drawn the Admiral to this far off patrol, closer to the border.

The Yunmer's captain, an older man with enough scars and prosthetics to tell a thousand and one stories flicked flicked a glance at Arda, eyes eager. He was the reason Arda had chosen Yunmer, Captain Gunther had deep grudges against the Freehold, as well as a bad record of “Independent Action”. A good trait for a patrol commander, but not for a diplomat.

“Bring all dispatches to my screen as soon as they have been decrypted Comms, Captain Gunther, please join me. The old Cyborg walked over, hand resting on the butt of his dueling blaster. “We're ready for em’ Admiral, they won't even make it past DefSAT 1.”

“If it comes to that Captain, then I believe you are correct, but I hope it does not come to that.” Arda turned to the message, and relief washed over him. The truce would hold. “Comms, compile a message to all ships of the Haytham Fleet, The Truce holds, stand down, resume normal patrols. War exercises planned at DefSAT 2 are-”

“Admiral, forgive the interruption, there is another message, it is from The Grand Sheik.” The comms officers voice was tinged with apprehension, was the Truce broken after all?

“On my screen Comms, belay the fleet broadcast.” Arda replied, resentful of Captain Gunther’s sudden hungry look.

Cousin, the Freehold Truce holds, but four civil wars have broken out already. The Empire will tear itself apart. Return to Samarkand at once.

Bring the Fleet.

How Farid had found out about the truce before the Fleet Arda did not know, but the message brokered no dispute, for the first time in more than a Century, the Haytham Fleet would look inward.

Players

To House Berger
    Spoiler
    Show
    We have finished our archiving, when your Gate Map is available we would be willing to trade.

Tartarus
    Spoiler
    Show
    I would actually like one of your people to attend me to the Zaqaru Ball high courtesan. My talents lie firmly in the lab and the battlefield. I find I am usually little more than a bobbing head at events like this. I note your rank excludes you from the event, though why the Zaqarus would deny a House like Tartarus at any social gathering of this magnitude eludes me. I am near certain that you could find a use for attending an event like this, so I offer the plus one of my invitation in exchange for a briefing on what interesting things you might hear at the ball. I will leave shortly, so we shall meet your party in orbit of Athon. I’ll send along a list of our wardrobe incase you desire dressing to match.

Duke Farid Saquar,
    Lord of Samarkand
    Master of the Grand Marquis

And as an aside, my Uncle found great happiness in his Marriage, your house has my thanks for taking care of a man as wounded as he. War is often unkind to veterans long after their fight is over.

The Zaqaru Ball
    Spoiler
    Show
    The party from House Saquar arrives masked in copper beaten thin and treated chemically to be translucent, then traced all over with gold scrollwork to the shapes of the exotic fauna of their homeworlds. Duke Farid Saquar is by far the most extravagant in a long coat in the bluegreen of tarnished copper, inlaid with gold and light-projecting circuitry to leave a subtle echoing presence to his movement. His mask does little to disguise his identity, for he seeks no partner, having brought one from abroad. The serene visage of a Samarkite Craterhoof overlays his young face.

The Greenflame contingent quickly splits off, no political agenda among the lesser Earls and Counts of the party, free to enjoy the Festivities. Farid as well, seems content to watch the entertainments at first, after offering suitable greetings to the host.

NPCs

To House Sasone
    Spoiler
    Show
    Duke Stefano,
    A strange claim, what use would the Zaqaru have to sabotage your defenses while making an alliance with your faction?

Duke Farid Saquar,
    Lord of Samarkand
    Last edited by A_Dinosaur; 2019-03-18 at 12:55 PM.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

Zaqaru Ball

Enigma 7

Show
    As the attendees of House Saquar arrive, they are welcomed like the others. As the Ball’s dances move on, music is played, drinks are taken and the clock turns on, a young female in her twenties, Ayammere, granddaughter to Meta, the sister of Duke Abolar, asks one of his family members to a dance. Duke Farid Saquar eventually finds himself in the company of Duke Abolar Zaqaru himself.

“I do hope you are enjoying yourself, Duke Farid Saquar and..” A curious look at Farid’s plus one, hinting to be introduced to the lady. After the introduction, he pleasantly states. “A pleasure to meet you. May I borrow Duke Farid temporarily? Do not worry, I do not seek a dance with him, but merely to catch up as Dukes amongst another.”

The conversation is hardly the only conversation held between noble families. Meta, Abolar’s sister, conversed with two noble women. Earl Varrais de Pantou, holding a colony in the system of Champseau (coordinates 10\-4) and Earl Ninki Eshnuk, holding a colony in the Dimarq system (coordinates 10\-3). Duke Abolar Zaqaru also approached an earl, namely Earl Ossus Sibab, who holds a colony in the Arkech system (coordinates 9\-2).

Enigma 7

Spoiler: Meta Zaqaru and Earl Varrais de Pantou
    Show
    “Such a beauty to see our children dance, don’t you think, Varrais?” Meta sits at a table in a long gown set with subtle emeralds, talking with Earl Varrais de Pantou, a woman in her forties. Both their husbands are fetching a drink and taking their time, knowing the women have something to discuss amongst another.

“Don’t you think my granddaughter Sidad and your son Rostac make an excellent dancing pair? They may both yet be children, with her at seventeen and your son nineteen, but I am sure they would make a beautiful pair. Just like our families would make quite a pair.” Meta offers a warm smile.

“Varrais, we must think of the future. Not just that of our children, but of our family lines. War has arrived in the Akkadu sector. Zaqaru can greatly use your support, the support of House de Pantou.”

“You know me well, for I have gone to Champseau several times to enjoy the pleasure of ice fishing in the frigid ice colony you are well known to harvest the clearest water of the sector from. Perfume de Pantou is renowned and I have a significant collection of my own. Believe me when I say that I wish to see our family lines joined in marriage. I know this means Zaqaru asks vassalage of House Pantou and I truly hope that you will consider it.”

“I see an excellent opportunity in the dance between Sidad and Rostac, their dance blossoming to something greater. I can assure you, Zaqaru will reward you well should you choose to accept a betrothal between Rostac and Sidad.” Meta looks at Earl Varrais de Pantou, curious to her reaction.

[OOC] The Zaqaru consider children to become adult at 20.

Spoiler: Meta Zaqaru and Earl Ninki Eshnuk
    Show
    “Ninki, how wonderful to see you. Here, have a drink!” Meta graciously puts down a drink to Earl Ninki Eshnuk’s liking down at the bar she is standing at. Here too, her husband manages to take Ninki’s husband to a drink of their own, so Meta and Ninki can talk.

“It’s a rich flavour, a wonderful taste, just to your liking.” Meta knows Ninki likes her drinks, enjoying expensive tastes. She smiles to Ninki and offers some small subjects to discourse about, before touching the main subject. “It’s lovely to see my grandchildren dance. I believe your nephew is an excellent dancer as well. Gamala, right? You may not have noticed, but Inlit, my granddaughter, thinks he’s cute.” She gently points over to the teenager of fifteen years standing at the side of the ballroom, looking at Gamala of eighteen years old dance with other women. “She’s quite jealous of the others who do are smooth enough to get a dance out of him.” Meta says with a smirk.

“Perhaps we could help them along? A hint to Gamala to ask her to dance would do wonders.” She says with clear enjoyment at the antics of the children, but then her gaze turns more strict. “There is however something more serious I wish to discuss. While we enjoy the pleasantries here, I know what kind of danger House Eshnuk is exposed to. With the war in the Akkadu sector between Zaqaru and House Sansone, Dimarq is caught in the middle.”

Meta looks at the other woman with concern. “Ninki, trust me, Zaqaru does not want any harm to come to your family or Dimarq. You may find it hard to believe, but I believe the best way to do that is to side with Zaqaru. We can coordinate with your forces against House Sansone and assure the minimum, or ideally, no losses. I know this is serious business and I wish we could converse in lighter terms, but matters of war are grave indeed”

“I offer a betrothal between Gamala Eshnuk and Inlit Zaqaru, a vassalage to Zaqaru. I will assure you that you will be rewarded.” She offers Ninki an expensive bottle of wine to her taste, as symbol of the rewards to come.

Spoiler: Duke Abolar Zaqaru and Earl Ossus Sibab
    Show
    “Earl Ossus Sibab. I offer you my deepest apologies.” Duke Abolar Zaqaru is speaking to Earl Ossus Sibab in a cozy corner where they can speak a bit more privately than in the middle of the ballroom. “I know what I did wrong, why you took the opportunity of the death of our Emperor to declare independence.” Duke Abolar sighs, his age starting to show and he looks with reluctance, with regret.

“I was so busy with the peace treaty, with trying to ensure Zaqaru is safe, that I forgot to look out for you and yours. It is my fault the Arkech system is undeveloped and your colony is still the only one there. I understand your concern and take it gravely to heart.”

“Yet I now find myself unable to tackle that concern, for war is now declared. I need your help, Ossus. You have been my loyal agent even before you took up the title of Earl. I should have listened when you quietly voiced your concerns earlier, but instead I listened to my louder advisors. I regret my past action and wish to make amends. While I may not be able to offer investment in expansion, I can offer investment in House Sibab itself. Please take my offer of reward and in the upcoming trying times serve me loyally as you did before, as vassal.”
    Last edited by Zweanslord; 2019-03-18 at 04:08 PM. Reason: typo

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

The Democratic Collective of the People

The closeted meeting between the First Advisors, First Equal, and the ambassador from Vastaad was ongoing, and Second Equal Aeswin's reports were starting to become a jumbled mass of letters. Her eyes were struggling to stay open. Bed, and her partner, were calling.

But the People came first. The factories were firing, and the Workers put in long hours. She could do no less. With a sigh, she turned the lights on slightly brighter - the work she was doing, organizing the agents across the empire - was worth the slight waste of energy. As she began to type again, her office door was pushed open, revealing a young individual wearing dark glasses and holding a disc. They set it down on her desk, gloved hands being careful with the cargo, and offered a small nod.

"A return from a missive, ma'am. First Equal cannot be reached."

"Yes, thank you. Good."

With a sigh of relief, she played the disc on her personal date unit, eyebrows rising in two different types of interest as the recording played. As the message finished, she looks to the messenger, wishing for a darker complexion to hide the blood in her cheeks and neck.

"Oh... my. Thank you. Um. Prepare a ship, immediately. Send word that the First Equal to to be made aware as soon as possible. I will depart in four hours."

Four hours to prepare for a journey. Four hours to say goodbye to her partner. And, if she was being honest with herself, four hours to find out what alterations could legally be made to her standard-issue jumpsuit.

Spoiler: Tatarus - Untraceable, using 1 Court
    Show
    The ship makes its way to the appointed dock. It is plain, small, and only functional. Its nature as an ambassadorial vessel leaves it nearly without armor, exposing much of its innards.

A woman steps out, wearing a gray jumpsuit. The top button is undone and the waistline has been hemmed slightly to define the wearer's body a bit more. On each shoulder, a small insignia is visible.

The woman's straight, dark hair is pulled back and she look around in barely-contained interest at the spectacle that is likely awaiting her.

She she gets the eventual chance to pass on her message, she takes a moment to master herself and focus.

"I am Second Equal Aeswin. I speak for the People this day. I know that we have... vastly different methods, but the Collective and the Silk Touched share similar goals - taking power from those with," she pauses for a moment and makes a face, making her disdain for the phrase clear, "'better' blood. With this in mind, we are reaching out to you in hopes of coming to an agreement. For now, our goal is merely peace and the promise of consideration as our respective plans move forward. Should war with a real force break out, I would hope that mutual support would be possible.

What are you initial thoughts?"

Aeswin leans back, smiling faintly. Her eyes remain locked on her counterpart's, careful not to let her vision stray to the... distractions around her.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Orc in the Playground

The Zaqaru Ball
    The Favor owed

House Greenflame was granted an immense gift and curse by inviting Taturus as their plus one. The gift was such that no one would be able to turn their heads away from these arrivals. Oh yes, Taturus had every intention to make a splash at this shindig in fact the goal was to show up the dynasty at their own party for DARING to not grant their number an invitation. The High Courtesan while not there had placed on the arm of house Greenflame two absolutely ravishing beings that were dressed exactly as himself. The roiling golden designs which actually moved on the outfit splashing with stunning design accentuating what greenflame had chosen to wear. The next girl a platinum blonde who had clearly been genetically improved at birth struck a cutting figure in a matching outfit only this was silver, they were prizes for house greenflames kindness and would dance with him and act in whatever manner he saw fit, happy to be showed off if he wished it or give him space should he deem it so.

The other two of the four +1's however made sure to be the flashing neon witness that Taturus was present. As of course the moment it got around they had been invited by a duke (probably by Taturus agents themselves) then earls of every stripe were happy to ask Taturus to supply them with +1s (of course Greenflame was rewarded their finest courtesans).

When greenflame was introduced to the leadership of the dynasty he had his platinum blonde dressed in silver and when asked to leave his arm she would pout albeit playfully and leave him be until she summoned her or both of them again.

The ones who would act as the voice of Taturus and aid the political machinations of their family was:

Kisara Volpose (courtesan and diplomat)
    Spoiler
    Show

and

Yasha Miras (Cousin of the high courtesan)
    Spoiler
    Show

OOC: Tatarus has managed to bring 4 individuals to this gala (2 are looking after every desire of house greenflame) Kisara and Yasha can be contacted if you are interested in spending time with our organization at the party.

Spoiler: Untraceable, Using 1 court (Leader) to directly speak
    Show
    The lessor nobility which were usually everywhere within the pleasure palaces where the high courtesan lay her head were no where to be seen. The democrat was greeted with a lavish display only by those of Tatarus themselves the walls they walked through moved telling stories of ship battles and mighty armies marching against one another. This evening they had been programmed not to show the successes of the mighty emperor (as was typical) but instead of the Republic and democracys through time. It also hit on the sexual, all manner of delightful and devious things writhed on the walls of the high courtesans pleasure palace.

A dozen barely dressed male guards led the second equal into a large dance hall where the lessor courtesans played out all sorts of delicious scenes in three rings around Miras herself at its center. The room also had an amazing scent, no signs of the sweat or smokes were present something seemed to drain all of that away and only provide this rich and delightful aroma.

A throne was presented to Second Equal Aeswin where she could sit, but it was not so they could sit face to face but side by side as if they were married or bound by one of the numerous marriage traditions of the empire.

Miras herself was beautifully dressed, Second Equal Aeswin could easily figure out she was actually more conservative then usual and wore a suit of sorts but also was covered in aphrodisiac paint, something designed to induce desire through the skin and make the nerves more responsive to stimuli.

After the greetings and hellos she listened to the rather forthright offer and Miras laughed wistfully but considerate. "We are split Second Equal Aeswin I must admit, our current system exists within the empire and we have become healthy and strong because of the nobles. They feed us and we send our people among their families and they are given the greatest lovers in the galaxy and we are given... Much." She smiles, "but all things changes, and all things end. We can guarentee you non aggression. We can offer aid but it must be in secret so we don't isolate ourselves from the nobility completely. We would be willing to send our agents to aid you and disrupt threats of course we don't have the military might to protect you as you do us."

She taps her chin, "I do want to ask if you win your glorious revolution where do you see our silk touched in your order? I have to admit propoganda tells us you will have my girls ravaged and my men executed for daring to be interlopers of the court, I don't believe it I am educated but there are fanatics... I only ask because short term agreements are easy its much more to establish an alliance that lasts years. I need to know your democracy would aid the silk touched that we would not be victims in your glorious revolution."
    Last edited by kaio999; 2019-03-19 at 12:50 AM.
    Amazing avatar by Gengy

Empire 4- Vampiric Republic turned Vampiric Oligarchy
    Empire 5- Psychic Daddy

10. - Top - End - #40
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

House Vastadd

House Greenflame
    Spoiler: Enigma 4
    Show
    Duke Greenflame,

My thanks for your kind wishes.

I will wait to hear from my ambassador before passing judgement on the republic. I worry that they are anarchists and cannot be reasoned with. But if they are then the full might of the empire can handle them.

LYRAE
    Show
    Honoured Duke Kelse,

Thank you for your candid condolences, I did not support my father’s ways and hope to be the change my house needs.

I too would like to discuss cooperation between our houses, as I would with all the empire. I shall be attending the Zaqaru Ball and will make time to speak with you there if you are in attendance.

Spoiler: Using 1 Court
    Show
    Constantin rubbed at his wrists as he was guided to the meeting room. It is difficult to tell whether this is a nervous habit or due to the itchy peasant clothes his sister had forced him to wear. Upon entering the room he relaxes a little, please to see that they aren’t complete anarchists and still understand the basis of hierarchy.
    “It is a pleasure to meet with you all today. I must say that I am impressed at what people can do when they work together. In the empire we are taught that the peasants require nobility to lead them, but you are proof this is not the case.
    We can learn a lot from you and have a hope we have enough to offer in return. The imperium is once again falling apart and the lands of the warring houses will be ripe for the taking.The courts are awash with gossip and we would be happy to send it your way if you can help us rebuild our lands.
    We also ask for a chance to expand without military interference. Our family’s history is in trade and we would like to set up some routes to your land in the future.”

Zaqaru Ball
    Spoiler: Apologies
    Show
    Out of time for today, will add in next post.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Spoiler: To: The Silk Touched; Using One Court
    Show
    Aeswin smiles slightly at Miras' explanation and question.

"But what if you didn't even need to rely on those bloated tyrants for your comfort? What if everyone, from the basest of your farmers to your most, ah, skilled servants, was cared for, regardless of their talents or ability to win over the hearts of others? That is the goal we strive for, none other: complete and utter safety, health, and security for every citizen of this empire. We have no desire for seizure of your persons. We want to see all people equals. Your people are, without question, hedonists and full of waste. But executions are reserves for those who directly oppose our mission. We don't aim to kill. We aim to educate. Over time, you would lose your status, it is true. But you would also keep your lives, and would never be beneath another person. That is, unless you, ah, desired that sort of arrangement.

I don't need an answer this moment. Think it over. Consider what it would mean for your people. We understand that breaking with centuries of practice can be difficult. Just remember: people suffer while we delay, and the People's understanding has its limits.

Now. Details. Mutual Non-Aggression is ideal for us. In addition, we will promise you protection in the event any of your more aggressive neighbors decide that your lands should be their own. For now, our fleets are small, but they will grow rapidly as we now prepare to liberate the people of this empire. In exchange, we ask two things. First, strongly consider what I have said here today about where you might fit into our society. Second, keep us in mind when you hear of ongoing plots against the People and aid us in what ways you can. We don't ask you to lay down lives for us, as that must be each person's own decision. But you have a certain set of skills that we are not inclined toward, of course."

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    In practical terms, non-aggression. We promise to send Navy to protect you should the need arise, you promise to use some of your Agency to warn us of threats.

Spoiler: To: House Vastadd; Using FL
    Show
    The gathered Advisors look to the First Equal, clearly here mostly for their presence rather than their voice. Aethelbyrd nods slowly, considering the offer.

"An agreement such as this sounds reasonable. Your conquests must abide by our rules, though. You may not engage in the looting or destroying of the people's property. The goods and resources taken from nobles must be either given to the people who produced it or taken for the war effort with appropriate recompense. Any collateral damage must be repaid either directly or through safe passage to our lands. Any individuals who refuse to work for you or who you cannot care for must be given passage to colonies we control.

Trade rights we extend without tariff or demands, as such exchange only benefits all involved. We will by no means oppose your conflict with other nobles. The independent regions between our current spheres of influence can be divided evenly for now, though we intend to move toward the less agreeable nobles first [ie, toward right parts of the map]. When we eventually move toward other more entrenched systems, we may require use of gates under your control. I trust this won't be an issue?"

The First Equal then nods toward the door. Two men enter bearing trays of drinks and light finger foods.

"Now that we know you are speaking in good faith and talks have begun, please accept refreshments after your journey. We apologize for the delay, but too often have nobles sent ambassadors here merely to mock us or promise our destruction."

12. - Top - End - #42

PaladinGuy

House Greenflame

Enigma 4

Players

The Zaqaru Ball
    Spoiler
    Show
    Lord Zaqaru! Allow me to introduce Lady Silkgrace, a servant of Tartarus. Allow me to finish my drink and you will have my undivided attention. My dear would you please find Count Gyre and tell him I will be away a moment? Thank you. Duke Saquar will follow Duke Zaqaru.

House Vastadd
    Spoiler
    Show
    In that we agree, good luck in your negotiations.

On another Avenue, is your hous interested in a joint research project? Both our houses maintain significant universities, and I imagine we could make swift progress on any project we put our people too.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: To the Duchy of Lyrae [PM
    Show
    ]The emissary of the crown princess is a stern naval captain with several campaign medals on her uniform. She introduces herself as Captain Keyes, "Your grace, my lady sends her regards and wishes to know what type of agreement we can work out to benefit both our campaigns."

Spoiler: Earls Young and Amets to Duchy of Lyrae [Engima 3
    Show
    ]Your Grace,

We in fact think it unlikely that any conflict from House Jinks would spill into us. Our territories are little more than waystations easily ignored by fleets. Which is not to say we favor House Jinks. They likely covet our lands and will seek to take them over eventually.

The question is what you will offer instead.

Signees-
    Earl Amarjeet Young
    Earl Chanda Amets

Spoiler: Early Sandy to the Tatarus [Enigma 3
    Show
    ]We would prefer something more tangible than your courtly pleasures. Provide the means to colonize one the planets neighboring my own under the Sandy flag and I will not dispute your colonization of the remainder of this system.

Earl Yafe Sandy

Spoiler: House Sasone to House Greenflame [Enigma 5
    Show
    ]Duke Saquar,

What use indeed. It is not the way of allies to sabotage each others defenses. You only do that to your enemies. And thus you see why we broke off the marriage.

Duke Stefano Sansone
    Lord of the Lion Marches

Spoiler: The Zaqaru Ball
    Show
    Spoiler: Earl Varrais de Pantou and Meta Zaqaru
    Show
    Earl Pantaou gives Meta calculated smile, "You honor me Meta my son has certainly found a wonderful dancing partner in your granddaughter."

Her face turns contemplative, "But still my family has held the Champseau system in trust for generations. The ice belts are some of the richest in the sector and a reserve against calamity. It is true that these are trying times and may indeed be a calamity worth mining them for, but I am not altogether convinced."

"At the very least your house would need to grant us sovereignty over the system to develop as we see fit. We know it better than anyone after all."

Spoiler: Earl Ninki Eshnuk to Meta Zaqaru
    Show
    Earl Eshnuk gives the Zaqaru a strained look and sighs, "Meta, you know we can't accept. The Sansone fleet will have to pass through Dimarq. It's not a matter of which of you is stronger. They're simply closer to us than the Zaqaru fleet. As it is they won't waste time with our palty defenses, but if we offer you vassalage. Well that would be an insult on top of material aid to their enemies. We would not possible escape unscathed."

"Now after the war we will see. When you take Gade we will not be on the Sansone doorstep any longer. And then relations between us will be much more promising."

Spoiler: Earl Ossus Sibab and Abolar Zaqaru
    Show
    Earl Sibab strokes his long beard and ponders, "Your grace, I would gladly rejoin your service, but I am no longer a lone blade in the shadows. I have people to care for. Family who rely on me to take care of them. You need to focus on the war effort I know. But after the war you will have resources to spare."

"Repair any damage to my station from the war and help my people colonize Arkech II within the next decade, and I will swear my house to you."

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

House Lonestar

Benjamin leans back on his chair, looking down range of the shooting range. He lets out a shot from his hand-canon, the shot was loud enough that the next town over could hear the echo it made. "SO! How goes the diplomcizin and all. We get any messages back yet?"

"WELL BOSS, IT SEEMS THE EXACGON FAMILY HAS RESPONDED, BUT THEY HESITANT ABOUT MAKING ANY REAL ALLIANCE"

" Well, they were a bit on the smaller side so it's not a big loss. What about the other two? Them Cyborgs and house Vast-"

"JINKS ACTUALLY. WE SENT THAT OTHER TRANSMISSION TO THE WRONG HOUSE. BUT YTERBUS HAS YET TO MAKE A RESPONSE YET. WE THINKING IT's FROM THE WHOLE SHIN DIG BY THE ZARQUE DYNASTY"

Benjamin pinches the bridge of his nose. This..this wasn't the best start for his plans of galactic conquest Unification "Great....thats..that's really wonderful. Just what I needed to know today. Fine, want something done right, do it yourself. Get the ship ready. I got some I got some points of intrest to go look at"

Spoiler: TO Exagon Family Enigma 4
    Show

"WELL PARTNER, THAT MIGHT BE ARRANGED, BUT THE BOSS MAN WAS LOOKIN FOR LIKE MINDED FOLK TO TRY AND MAKE A TRUE BLOC OF ALLIANCES. UNIVERSE BE A SCARY PLACE AFTER ALL, BIT DANGEROUS TO GO IT ALONE WITHOUT A REAL ARMY."
    Last edited by Shadowflick; 2019-03-21 at 11:53 AM.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

Zaqaru Ball

Enigma 7

Show
    Duke Abolar Zaqaru expresses his gratitude towards both the Duke of House of Greenflame and Lady Silkgrace, a servant of Tartarus. When Duke Farid Saquar finishes his drink, both dukes retreat to one of the many niches scattered through the Erit Palace.

Enigma 7

Spoiler: Duke Abolar Zaqaru and Duke Farid Saquar
    Show
    “Thank you for the opportunity to speak, Duke Farid Saquar.” Duke Abolar Zaqaru states as they take a seat at a small table. “The reason I wish to speak with you is because I have received report that the Haytham Fleet is turning its attention away from the Freehold.” Duke Abolar Zaqaru looks with interest to see Duke Farid Saquar’s initial reaction before he continues. “Let me be straightforward. I can use your aid in the war against House Sansone.”

He holds a hand up momentarily. “I know you have your reservations, as you expressed your feelings regarding the war declaration in an earlier message. You are, however, without a doubt, the best positioned to provide support to my just cause, given the proximity of our territories and your fleet now able to turn its attention elsewhere.”

“I know this may not put your reservations at ease, but I have been thinking about what you mentioned regarding the Republic fools. Help me in the war against House Sansone and the Zaqaru forces will sooner be free to act if, or when, those Republicans become a problem. In addition, this will present the opportunity to gain glory in this righteous endeavour and redistribute wealth to those who could make better use of it, such as yourself.” [OOC] Clearly hinting towards raids here.

“What do you think?”

[OOC] Will answer the earls later on.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Orc in the Playground

LYRAE

Spoiler: House Laramy [PM
    Show

Captain Keyes, though escorted with due secrecy on Fortune's End, is given full military honors and led to a room where Duke Athaia awaits alone in high uniform.
    "You can likewise send my regards to our princess. And with that we can drop the formalities if you'd like, Captain."
    "Now, I don't presume to know of your plans, but my hunch would be that you are planning to secure your House with as little bloodshed as possible. Wouldn't want to inherit smoking ruins, after all. That would leave your Navy free to act elsewhere for the time being. Our agents can provide you cover for a false flag operation and lead you through rogue portals with safety so that we may catch them unawares with overwhelming strength. With our forces combined, we might have just enough to seize most of the Jinks worlds overnight.
    I would like to deal with them quickly and decisively, as their espionage capabilities are more than a match to our own and their pockets deep. Once they are done for, I can pledge my full support, whether it's subterfuge or brute force. The best way around it might just be to... remove the other claimant after all. In the meantime, we can help each other to Jinks plunder."
    The Pen is mightier than the Sword - when the message is written in Blood.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Troll in the Playground

House Ytterbus

Enigma 7
    Spoiler: House Lonestar
    Show

"I would be amenable to a limited form of alliance, but I would like to keep my commitments open for the time being."

Show

Spoiler: Evra and Mutiyama
    Show
    Marriage is... an interesting topic among us. It depends on who you ask. Some marry for life, and our lives are quite long. My grandparents, Memnon and Areh Ytterbus, they were like that. Others don't bother at all, and still others, like my esteemed brother, prefer to artificially have children without being married."
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

18. - Top - End - #48

PaladinGuy

House Greenflame

Enigma 4

“Yarro! It is good to see you again!” Arda Saquar and Viviain Yarro grasped forearms In the Navy style of greeting. Doctor Yarro took the opportunity to press her medical scanner to the Admirals pickline, a permanent iv port all Greenflame Navy Personnel had surgically installed.
    “Tch, Arda you actually took my advice for once! Any side effects from the Prolong Treatment?”

“I'll let you know after Cousin and I race the Istanbul Course, the rat has insisted I come straight there before I even visit my sons. So it must be something he wants to speak of immediately.”

“The Istanbul? You've been in normal gravity less than an Hour Arda! I'll be med monitor then, before you pop your heart like a crakfruit.”

“If your Prolong treatment is as you say then there should be no issue. Right doctor?”

“Watch your cheek old man, it's an honour to be my lab rat, and I'm the one who mixes your Nutrient Mix.”

Doctor Yarro climbed to the observer platform along with a few other courtiers, sitting at the monitor station and plugging in her med scanner. The Istanbul Course stretched out below, two kilometers of tier 3 obstacle course, split in the center by an artificially generated river chilled to just above freezing temperatures. At this hour, there were half a dozen other people making the paces, it was important that the citizens of Samarkand remained in fighting shape, and there was a small stipend doled out to each civilian who remained in approved muscle indexes. The noble cousins emerged to the starting area talking quietly to each other, stretching to warm up. Farid and Arda Saquar were remarkably similar looking, though Farid had nearly fifteen centimeters on Arda. Both kept at their training, and their bodies were enhanced well beyond that of a normal human with a variety of steroids. Their initial conversation finished, they began their race, scaling the initial rubble obstacles with the practice of a thousand repetitions, even the wirecrawl did little to slow them, their flexibility cybernetically enhanced at the joints, allowing them to keep a low sprint speed while they crawled through a tunnel barely two dozen centimeters high.

Dr Yarro studied her diagnostic closely, the Prolong treatment was designed to keep naval personnel able during long patrols. The sheer size of the border fleet during the Reclamation Wars had forced House Greenflame to seek a cheaper option than the old imperial exo suits, so a young Vivian Yarro had proposed the Prolong treatment as her Doctrate Offering. In the fifty years since the treatment had changed a great deal, and now it was in many ways better than the Exos.

The Cousins made the river, Farid in the lead by perhaps a minute, though privately Yarro suspected that was a lack of adjustment time. They hit the water at speed, easily fighting the current across. Arda’s suit flashed a few risky numbers, but nothing serious enough to risk stopping the nobles game for.

At this point they were overtaking other runners, and both skipped a climb section entirely by simply leaping the obstacle entirely. Finally, Farid took the last obstacle and grabbed up the rifle for the Istanbul's final challenge. Twelve targets, points for speed.

Arda caught up before Farid was finished, missing only one target to Farid's three. Though Farid still won by a few points for his faster course.

From the observation deck, Dr. Yarro could see the two nobles resume their conversation, still panting their exertions. Arda wore a dark expression, though nodded in agreement and brought up a projections holo. According to the med scanner, both of their hearts were beating much harder than they had been on the course.

Vivian Yarro looked to the sky, where an seemingly endless stream of orbit shuttles ferried equipment and supplies out to the void, where the Haytham fleet drifted in orbit. She was hardly a pacifist, and had no illusions about what the Emperor's death meant for the galaxy. But she couldn't help but worry for her fortunes in the coming conflicts. would there be space for a scientist like her? Would the foreign nobles send their people to die in droves? Would her nobles do the same? The Saquars were no strangers to war, it was a noble thing to die in the name of Haytham and the Greenflame, but they also put value on life. Dr. Yarro had seen (and spent) the numbers of the medical research and veterans comfort budget. Would those numbers stay high if internal conflicts turned sour?

How soon would they have to find out?

Players

The Zaqaru Ball
    Spoiler
    Show

Duke Abolar and Duke Farid
    Spoiler
    Show
    Farid’s face remained motionless at the mention of the Haytham Fleet, though his smile was fixed at the mention of Sasone.
    “In my own investigations, Lord Abolar, there have been certain warnings against alliance with your house. I have hardly had time to fully discover the truth to such claims, but tell me, why do you believe your brief brother-in-law broke of Nabanu and Guaria’s marriage. For Stefano’s tale of events paints your actions in a terribly strange light.”

NPCs

To the Earl of (08, -08)
    Spoiler
    Show

Good Earl,
    There are dark times ahead, and your System poses a new strategic importance to the Republic, as they could fortify it against both the Haytham Fleet and any potential aid from the Bergers, Voss, or even Sasone and Zaqaru. Vastadd’s new Duchess seems like a clever sort, but her fleet is outnumbered three to one. I believe the best solution is to set up a new Duchy based around your system, and the Systems (9,-8) and (8,-7), with you as Duke. The Haytham Fleet will guarantee your independence, and in exchange you will answer to my house and allow us access through your space. If the freehold should act overtly aggressively, as I believe they will, at least it will be difficult for them to cut our fleets off from each other. That is of course, if you are interested, good Earl.

Duke Farid Saquar,
    Lord of Samarkand

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

Zaqaru Ball

Enigma 7

Show
    Mutiyuma Zaqaru and Evra Ytterbus continue their conversation, as do Duke Abolar Zaqaru and Duke Farid Saquar Greenflame.

Enigma 7

Spoiler: Mutiyama Zaqaru and Evra Ytterbus
    Show
    Mutiyama listens with interest to Evra's response and a look of curiosity besets him. “And if I were to ask you?”

Spoiler: Duke Abolar Zaqaru and Duke Farid Saquar Greenflame
    Show
    Duke Abolar Zaqaru looks at Duke Farid Saquar Greenflame with an intent gaze. To the right, he leans a bit forward. “Duke Stefano Sansone never was my brother-in-law. My son, Nabuna, and his daughter, Guaria, married. That did not make Guaria’s father and myself brothers-in-law. However, I would have been happy to have called Stafono my brother-in-law before he started to throw baseless accusations at me.”

Duke Abolar Zaqaru sits straight up and narrows his eyes for a moment. “Accusations which have shifted your perspective.” The ruler of the Zaqaru Dynasty shakes his head. “The warnings you have received are based on weak derivations. House Sansone discovered sabotage, where tools of Zaqaruan make were found. A suspect fled to Dimarq, with a head to Zaqaru. There was a transmission with a ship at the Zaqaru border around the time of sabotage.”

Abolar starts to explain further. “So to the simple bystander, Zaqaru is involved. However, my agents have intercepted the message and I have shared it with House Sansone. The suspect fled Arkech and then took the stargate leading to Champseau, not Zaqaru space. The tools of Zaqaruan make are available throughout the Akkadu sector and even commonly in use by House Sansone itself.”

A grimace forms on Abolar’s face. ”But Stefano did not believe it, stating his trust was shattered. Not willing to accept further help in the investigation, or give time for independent investigation, he broke off the marriage. You ask for my opinion why he broke off the marriage. Let me tell you.” Once again, Abolar leans forward, but this time with anger on his face.

“Pride and regret, that’s why.” Shortly grumbling, Abolar backs off again to explain. “His pride clouds his judgement as he is unwilling to admit House Sansone does not have the capability to find the true perpetrator and therefore tries to wash his hands off it by pointing his accusations at Zaqaru. And I heavily suspect that he regrets the marriage contract after all this time and saw these turns of events as reason to break it off.” There is a scowl on Abolar’s face for a brief moment, a look of insult.

“He knew this would happen, for I told him what would happen. A marriage contract of this significance cannot be broken without severe consequence. I could not, cannot, sit idly by and let him get away with such a violation of code of conduct between nobles. Given the past history between our families, I have the legal backing and stand justified to act.” His eyebrows, set strict above his eyes, then rise up as his emotions clears somewhat.

“Therefore, I ask your aid. Are you willing to provide?” Duke Abolar Zaqaru looks intently at Duke Farid Saquar Greenflame, for this is the critical moment before negotiations. The terms are obviously up for negotiation and the main question is now, will there be negotiation?

Show
    Meta Zaqaru offers a warm smile back as Earl Varrais speaks of the wonderful dancers. She listens keenly to the offer and seems to think for a moment. “I believe what you suggest may be arranged in due time, Ninki. We go back, the two of us, and I can use my influence to help your wish become a reality. However, Zaqaru granting a title is unlikely to be recognised in the upcoming years by our fellow nobles, though in a few years time I see that being no problem.”

“Therefore, I suggest the following. Let us arrange a betrothal between Sidad and Rostac, where she marries with him in six years, at the age of twenty three. Before that time, I will see to it that you gain your influence over the system, or you may consider the betrothal void.” Meta Zaqaru leans forward. “Though do realise I am helping you a lot here. I do expect you to invite me often for ice fishing and grant me access to the best fishing spots.”

Show
    Meta Zaqaru looks disappointed, but forgiving. “If that is how it must be. I understand your concerns. Though I still strongly advise you to take me up on the offer before the end of the Ball. It is a generous one, for I can offer you repairs to any damage done. However, should you chose to wait until later, then I am unlikely to be your liaison, and I do wish the best for you.” Should Earl Eshnuk still not respond to the offer, Meta Zaqaru will stand up and leave the Earl alone, rejoining with her husband to move in the crowd of the ball.

Show
    Duke Abolar Zaqaru nods towards Earl Ossus Sibab. “I understand your plight, for I know what it is like to have a family to take care of. Know that you have my word that Zaqaru will invest in the Arkech system so that Arkech II may be colonised and your station will be repaired in any event of damage.”
    Last edited by Zweanslord; 2019-03-22 at 04:01 PM.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Orc in the Playground

LYRAE

Enigma 5

Spoiler: Earls Young and Amets
    Show
    Honourable Earls,
    once the nearest Jinks worlds are freed from their oppressors they will be needing capable administrators to restore law and order. A couple of leal counts would do, I would think.

Spoiler: House Ytterbus
    Show
    Our proposal is quite simple. Let us rid the Imperium of this tumor, and share the spoils. You need not declare war even if you so desire, we will content ourselves with support from your operatives and reward it accordingly.
    The Pen is mightier than the Sword - when the message is written in Blood.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

House Berger
    Enigma 5

Duke Berger arrived at the Zaqaru Ball somewhat late, as getting there without being noticed by the Voss had presented some difficulties. He had brought her cousin Emma with him, as she was not yet married. He wasn't one to often indulge, but such events had plenty of important people present, and the deals that could be made there could decide the future of his House. He was wearing something very close to the uniforms the officers of the House Berger navy did, while Emma was dressed more glamorously, in a beautiful red dress. He might currently be at a Ball, but he was the leader of a House at war. Besides, uniforms looked good.

"Come then, we are already late, and I'd hate to have Nabuna give your spot to someone else" he said, and began escorting her towards were Nabuna likely was to be found. "While you enjoy your dance, do try to direct the discussion not only your possible future, but also the House's. Remember the matters we discussed earlier, and find a way to bring it up. I'll see who else I can find here, likely some who are willing and able to aid us."

He left Emma close where the Ball was taking place, and headed out to find a drink.

Show

Spoiler: Emma Berger to Nabuna Zaqaru
    Show
    Emma, at first, took a less passive role, showing Nabuna her preferred style. After a while, she allowed him to take the lead again, as she felt was proper among nobles. At 24 she also simply expected him to be a more experienced dancer.

"I must admit I have not thought about the future that much - the war with the Voss is currently taking all of my cousin's - the Duke's, that is - time, and the entire house Berger is of course doing what we can to help him" she says, "But, I did request him to bring me with him to this wonderful event, and perhaps that is telling enough" she adds with a smile.

Spoiler: Ernst Berger to Litte Zaqaru
    Show
    Ernst happily accepted the drink, welcoming the brief moment of rest in the midst of war preparations.

"Ernst will do. I assume I may call you Litte?" he said as he returned the smile. The conversation at first was some small talk, but it was clear they both were anxious to move on to something more serious.

"Do tell me, how familiar are you with grandfathers stance on house Voss? I imagine house Berger will eventually come out on top in the war, but that will only end up weakening them, not dismantling their house as is my will. Your systems are conveniently right on the opposite side, and you will have to deal with the Voss eventually in one way or another. Perhaps, after our respective wars have been settled, we could work together on this? Divide their systems among us, and we are both much better off."

The following readable by house Vastadd only, using FL to PM
    Spoiler: House Vastadd (PM)
    Show
    "Izabela! My dearest relative" Duke Berger greets her. I believe there was something you wished to discuss? Something that required a little bit more privacy? I doubt anyone would be able to hear us here, given everything going on around us. Do you have any specific plans in mind?"

Players

Spoiler: House Greenflame
    Show
    Very well. Please inform us when your project is completed - I'll likely place an order.

We too have sorted out the mess our archives were in. With the help of our... additional gate maps, we can send some out our forces without having to worry about any blockades. Be it spies or navies you are moving around, nobody can stop you from doing so, if you have access to said maps.

NPCs

Spoiler: Earl Byron
    Show
    Honorable Earl,

it is not my wish to destroy anything in your system - the very opposite. I seek to secure the system. Swear fealty to me as my vassal, and in return, I swear to make you a count, and provide you assistance in developing colonies in the unoccupied zones near you.

Duke Ernst Berger

Spoiler: Shadda Cabal
    Show
    Greetings. Could you perhaps offer me an overview of the services you are currently providing?
    Quote Originally Posted by bigstipidfighte View Post
    Pahvi, if this is serious, you are a god among men.

22. - Top - End - #52

PaladinGuy

House Greenflame

Enigma 4

Players

The Zaqaru Ball
    Spoiler
    Show
    Abolar and Farid
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Duke of Samarkand stared for a moment, clearly unsure, but he regained his composure quickly. “I see, so your house is practically forced to war. A war you will no doubt have difficulty winning alone, given the infamy of the fortresses arrayed against you. The Sasone would of course be crippled if you succeed in your goal, but dislodging them from arguably their most important system…” Farid paused, clearly running the military numbers through his mind.
    “It is a tall ask, Duke Abolar, even if all of our fleets gathered in full strength, we would barely reduce them to your current strength over the next five years. And no doubt we too would sustain losses. You've made you ambitions for kingship clear, and if Voss finds no allies Berger will crush them in short order. Your wording may become a self-tied noose.”

The sounds of the party filtered through the walls, causing Farid to pause again.

“Still after speaking with a few others around the Imperium I’ve realized there is scarce chance of diplomacy prevailing through the Laramy crisis. Luckily my ancestors had the wisdom to build many ships. I’ve little interest in raiding, and do not wish to be dragged into a war that could last decades over the promise to help later with a problem that faces my sector now. Perhaps allow us to talk market and research. I’m aware that your house is a bit… old fashioned, in their Education system, but if you were to assign those resources to my house for say, a period of twenty five years [5 turns], with the offer that any project we assign them to work on, Zaqaru will receive a copy of the blueprints, I would consider offering part of the Haytham Fleet as a sort of mercenary force. For a price of course.”

Diagnostics flickered across Farid's contact lenses, reports of recent fleet numbers and positioning.

“Given the sheer size of the warp-capable orbital defenses Sasone has doubtless clustered in their choke point system, I refuse to send in anything less than the full might of both our fleets, and for that I ask for the science agreement, and [6 trade] each turn the Haytham Fleet assists yours. With Haytham currently at [12] strength, that is a good rate of return no?”

The Tartarus Contingent
    Spoiler
    Show
    “Pardon me, lady of Tartarus, are you able to speak on behalf of your High Courtesan? I would like to ask a few question about both your services and your opinions of your direct neighbors, the House of Steel and the good bankers of Xinclaire.”

House Berger
    Spoiler
    Show
    Excellent, are you willing to trade [lore:outer expanse 1] for your gate map?
    Last edited by A_Dinosaur; 2019-03-25 at 02:38 PM.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

Zaqaru Ball

Enigma 7

Show
    Enigma 7

Spoiler: Nabuna Zaqaru and Emma Berger
    Show
    Nabuna seems intrigued as Emma takes a more active role in the dance as the two swirl over the dance floor. Taking the lead as she allows, she gives a nod as she mentioned the fate of House Berger. There is a short smile as she mentioned she requested to be present. “That would have one believe you are dedicated to your family. But where do your interests lie?” Nabuna asks as they move over the dance floor.

Spoiler: Litte Zaqaru and Ernst Berger
    Show
    Litte nods, Ernst can indeed call her Litte. As the conversation moved on to more serious matters, her eyes started to become more keenly interested. “House Voss? That depends on what they do. Unless you find one of them dancing with Nabuna, another one of my family members or talking to Abolar himself, I doubt he’d care at this time. As for the future, that’s more difficult to say.” She shrugs for a moment.

“Will the wars be short enough so that Abolar can determine the direction? It seems more likely that his successor will determine. Now, if that were my father, Abus, then I could certainly arrange for a listening ear. My uncle, Nabuna, I can tell less about. If only someone could convince the councillors that Abus is the better candidate.” With the none too subtle hint, she tries to distract with pouring another glass for Ernst.

“To be more straightforward, perhaps you and I can work together on it on a more personal level? With a closer relation, my relatives may well be more keen to listen. Though I want you to be straightforward with me as well, Ernst. What is your ambition beyond House Voss? With the current upheaval and your blood close to that of the imperial bloodline, surely you must be thinking of more than merely dividing systems?” Litte looks with a playful smile as she takes another sip of her drink.

[OOC] Apologies, will answer House Greenflame later on. EDIT: See below.

EDIT

Show
    Enigma 7

Spoiler: Duke Abolar Zaqaru and Duke Farid Greenflame
    Show
    Duke Abolar Zaqaru eyes Duke Farid Greenflame with some scepticism when he turned around quickly enough, finding reason in Abolar’s cause. Listening attentively as Farid assesses the situation aloud, Abolar is sharp on edge when he pauses.

A smile appears when Farid starts the negotiation, mentioning market and research. It is clear Abolar is pleased to have a negotiation partner in front of him. The smile turns into somewhat of a scowl as Farid mentions the education is old fashioned, showing his dislike of the presentation, but he quickly recovers, not letting it stand between them. There’s a pained look as Farid asks for assignment of the Zaqaru research capacity, which Abolar tries to hide under a grimace.

The grimace clears when Abolar hears what Farid has planned. There’s a momentary blink, as his body language betrays he had not expected House Greenflame willing to commit the full forces of the Haytham Fleet. Straightening himself out, Abolar takes a moment to order his own thoughts.

“I’m happy you see the reason for this conflict and are willing to make available the Haytham Fleet.” Abolar gives a nod in recognition. “It is not my intention to have the war over Gade last decades, as should be evidenced by my request for assistance. I assure you, all of the Zaqaru fleets will be dedicated to this conflict.” There’s a short twitch in Abolar’s eyes. “Now, if I understand you correctly, you ask for fifty research years over the span of twenty five years, with Zaqaru receiving copies of any blueprints from the research, to make the Haytham Fleet available for hire. The price for hire is the yearly market output of six industries in exchange for the Haytham Fleet, which counts at twelve Zaqaru fleets.” There is a greedy look as Abolar mentions the strength of the Haytham Fleet.

“Do realise you are asking for a lot. That is the full industry and university output of Zaqaru you state as price. I fully acknowledge you are offering a lot in exchange, but this both leaves me with questions and no room for the Zaqaru fleet to cover for repairs.” Abolar takes a deep breath, showing he is thinking about the offer, but clearly is wary. “The first question is regarding the duration research exchange. To what extent does that make the Haytham Fleet available for hire? You already mentioned that you do not wish to be dragged into a war for decades given the problem in your sector. The price suggests both a natural limit and a willingness to, if the engagement is as swift as we hope, a further availability. Am I correct?”

“Given you mention sharing blueprints, can I be assured that it is prototypes you wish to assign the research to?” Abolar looks at Farid, trying to get a further impression of his motives. “In addition, how will combined tactics be done?” With his questions, Abolar buys himself time, as the pentive looks in between show him mulling the offer.
    Last edited by Zweanslord; 2019-03-26 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Added an additional response to prevent double posting.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

House Vastadd

Spoiler: 1 Court PM
    Show
    “We have no intention of taking anything by force, our expansion will be through purchases or permitted construction. If this leaves us with people that cannot be found work we can offer them passage to your lands. Our acquisitions will fill out the lands to the south but we won’t cut off your expansion, the empire shouldn’t do much to stop your activity on the outer reaches either. Our eventual borders should lead to mutually beneficial trade between our lands, if you decided to protect you transports with a fleet of warships then we wouldn’t stop you.”

Constantin is careful to only take a fair share of the food and chuckles at the mention of the other ambassadors. “Under any other leader that would have been my job. But Izabela is different, she understands the need for cooperation and wants to learn from other leaders not mock them.”

House Greenflame

Show
    I would be honoured to join a research project with your universities. They have been a pet project of mine for many years and I am glad to get an opportunity to used them. Did you have anything in mind? I would like to develop our trade back to historic glory but join other projects to start with.

((We would use all (7) University on a joint Market project or half (3) on something else.))

Show
    House Berger

Spoiler: FL PM
    Show
    “Ernst, it is so good to meet you. I was worried that the extended family were falling apart what with the troubles in House Laramy and your own. But my agents have assured me that you have everything under control. I appreciate my position as cousin of the emperor but with feuds in House Laramy I look for other options to maintain my status. You would be a far greater leader than either of those idiots, you strike me as a man who knows how to get things done.”

“So to business, as we speak my agents are been worming their way in to House Voss, among others, to learn what they can. I would love to offer you information as a gift but my father’s ‘work’ has taken a toll on my house and the agents don’t work for free. Let me know if there is anything you would like them to do.”

Nabuna Zaqaru

Spoiler
    Show
    Alissa smiles as Nabuna approaches, absentmindedly tapping her foot with the improved beat. “I came expecting a bit of fun, I’m glad that you don’t disappoint.” She rises up out of her seat taking Nabuna’s hand. As she does so the bottom of her gown flows upwards like a reverse waterfall stopping just above the knee.

They cut through the ballroom weaving through the dancers with beautiful flowing movements. Alissa’s mouth pressed close to Nabuna’s ear so they could talk in private. “I am honoured that my sister chose to accept me into the house officially, especially now it allows me to spend my time in such pleasant company. We are looking to restore the house to it’s former glory, nothing more. In preparation for your event we have learnt a lot about House Sansone, just making the most of the resources my father left us. But let us not talk of trade for now, just enjoy the dance.”

Edit: I missed the other dance and will have to add later
    Last edited by Atrum Umbra; 2019-03-26 at 06:07 PM.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: House Laramy to the Duchy of Lyrae [PM
    Show
    ]Captain Keyes shakes her head, "I'm afraid you don't understand our current situation. We are engaged with the rogue duke's even now. Perhaps a few escort squadrons could be spared, but nothing like the overwhelming force you are requesting. If anything since you are not currently engaged with the Jinks it would be more strategically sound for your forces to help us secure our position first before dealing with House Jinks.

Spoiler: Earl Séverin to House Greenflame [Enigma 3
    Show
    ]Your Grace Saquar,

Of course I'm interested. The chance to become a Duke does not come along every day, or even every century. Still even for a well established house such as yours creating a new Duchy is a bold endeavor. I will not make any binding oaths of fealty until you have proved to me that you can back up your plan with more than words. Help me colonize the rest of the Algiers system and you will have my loyalty.

Earl Halcyone Séverin

Spoiler: The Zaqaru Ball
    Show
    Spoiler: Earl Varrais de Pantou and Meta Zaqaru
    Show
    Varrais gives Meta a wry smile, "Of course, only the best ice fish will do for you my dear Meta. I'm sure our family will do wonderfully together."

Spoiler: Earl Ninki Eshnuk Meta Zaqaru
    Show
    Earl Eshnuk looks grave and inclines her head, "I am sorry Meta, but it is better to avoid damage entirely than to repair it after the fact."

Spoiler: Earl Ossus Sibab and Duke Abolar Zaqaru
    Show
    Ossus nods and lifts his glass, "Then to House Zaqaru. May your war be swift and victorious."

Spoiler: Earls Young and Amets to Duchy of Lyrae [Engima 3
    Show
    ]A generous offer your grace. And what would you ask of us in the meantime? As humble earls we lack the resources to provide much support to your campaign.

Spoiler: Early Byron to House Berger [Enigma 3
    Show
    ]Your Grace,

A generous offer and more than I would expect in these trying times. I accept and I will give you my oath.

Earl Erasmus Byron

Spoiler: The Shadda Cabal [Enigma: Too High for You
    Show
    ]Ah the Young DUke comes to Uss. We can bee of assistance in manyy ways young DuKe.

Do you require mapss. WE have many maps of all the space ways. Or maybe the young duke requiress assistancce with his warp gates, yes? DO you desire material goods. Our alchemists can make many mundane and exotic tHings.

Spoiler: House Voss to House Berger [Enigma 6
    Show
    ]Duke Berger,

House Voss does not want a war, and we are sorry you feel the need to pursue one. We wish to discuss an end to it. We are willing to return your sister to your custody.

Duchess Brechtje Voss
    Last edited by ArcaneStomper; 2019-03-27 at 01:48 AM.

26. - Top - End - #56

PaladinGuy

House Greenflame

Enigma 4

Players

The Zaqaru Ball
    Spoiler
    Show

Abolar and Farid
    Spoiler
    Show
    Farid holds up his hands in peace at Abolar’s gramace, responding quickly to keep flow.

“It is indeed a great deal of industry, but you implied raiding yourself. I do not wish to have my fleet fly across the Imperium to be seen as pirates, but as neighbors by borders, in a war with legal grounds you could supplement your income with prizes taken in battle. Certainly enough to replace losses during the war.” The Duke shrugged, projecting a few diagrams off of his coat into the air between them.
    “The duration of availability will last until the end of the research agreement, though I will only guarantee the current cost in trade for the duration of the current Sasone war, after which the fleet may be needed home and the price will need to increase accordingly. I know your house would not stoop to such methods, but I will be vigilant against acts besmirching the spirit of my offer, dragging out the conflict, starting other wars and the like.”
    “As to what my Universities will be researching over the next few years there are a number of projects currently proposed.” The diagrams flash through an eclectic mix of weaponry, ship designs, and medical theories. “Given the strong military traditions of your house I think it would be best to assign them to military matters, probably the new star fighters. I believe there is great potential in smaller ships with no warp drive. They would need to be carried to battle of course, but once there the lack of warp drive frees up plenty of space for weapon payloads.”

A new diagram of a bulky, defensive battleship flashed up. It has no major weapons, but bristles with point defense.
    “Once we finish with the starfighter design and testing we will move on to a dedicated carrier, I envision a time where fleets are based around these ships and their escorts. But that is likely decades away. For now they will be one more powerful arrow in your fleets quiver.”
    Farid had relaxed somewhat, clearly enjoying simply talking about scientific plans. He shook himself, refocusing.
    “As to war coordination who will be in charge of your fleet? To sweeten our deal, assuming you agree to the original terms I will send my Cousin Arda to conduct operations for Haytham. How much information do you have on the Sasone fleet and orbital defenses?”

House Vastadd
    Spoiler
    Show
    I am pleased to hear that. I personally need to build toward a project that can enhance the rate which we Research, my chief scientist has proposed a medical treatment that will enhance and focus the brain on a never before seen scale. Did you have something in mind for a market project?

Due to the scale of the facilities we will likely be producing I would prefer the research prototype developed in my space, though you will have free access to build equipment. Though if you prefer to focus on a trade and market project either of our nations would work. [It takes a colony site]

NPCs

Earl Severin
    Spoiler
    Show
    Agreed, I will see to it you have the resources. How many free colony sites remain in the Algiers system?

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

Zaqaru Ball

Enigma 7

Show
    Nabuna Zaqaru dances with Alissa Vastadd, a beautiful and fast paced dance, the dance of the two flowing over the dancefloor. Later that evening, however, when his official dances in the Main Ballroom have passed and he has talked with many, he moves off to other rooms, intent on seeking somebody out. His search is direct, as he knew from the servants where the guest he sought could be found.

Duchess Izabela Vastadd, earlier approached that evening by Barnarnzuu Zaqaru, their meeting already a while ago, now finds herself approached in one of the smaller ballrooms by the heir apparent of Zaqaru instead. Nabuna bows before her and holds out his hand. “Would you dance with me, Duchess Izabella Vastadd?”

[OOC] Sorry Atrum Umbra for springing another conversation on you while you have not responded to the earlier Barnarnzuu Zaqaru conversation yet. Arcanestomper wants to move towards an End of Turn, hence why I could not wait until the natural end of the other conversations before presenting this opportunity and offering a possible next step.

Enigma 7

Spoiler: Nabuna Zaqaru and Alissa Vastadd
    Show
    Nabuna smiles as she takes her hand and the bottom of her gown flows upwards. They dance on a fast beat together, Nabuna clearly enjoying the dance as he smiles. When she whispers in his ear, there’s a brief lapse in his step as she speaks of nothing more than restoring their house and not talking of trade for now. As he honours that, it becomes clear that while he enjoys the dance, there is a distinct difference in level of passion.

Spoiler: Nabuna Zaqaru and Duchess Izabela Vastadd’s dance, if accepted
    Show
    As the two start the dance, the music changes, to a rhythm filled with tension. “Thank you for accepting the dance, Duchess Izabella Vastadd.” He swiftly moves over the dancefloor, letting the two dance and the quicksilver gown fantastically swirl along.

“Your sister did not wish to discuss during the dance, but I hope I can convince you otherwise.” He smiles shortly. “For I wish to know your thoughts regarding an idea. Considering you are still single as well, how do you feel about a marriage yourself?” A swift spin in the dance, he does not allow her the chance to reply, though he notes her response. “Rest assured, I offer any children would be of the Vastadd name and not carry the Zaqaru name. Think about it. It will be but time before I am leader of Zaqaru and then we stand together as the leaders of two mighty families.”

Nabuna starts to dance faster, pace increasing with the increasing pace of the music. “All I ask is that you help me become King. Together, you would be able to exceed the former glory of your House. As King, I can help you strike against threats seeking to undermine those of noble blood, such as the foolish peasants calling themselves a republic. With a King’s support, you with such an imperial ancestry, could bid for a far greater station, perhaps even the greatest.” Nabuna smiles and slows his pace for a while, eagerly hearing Izabella’s response.

Show
    Abolar nods towards the effect of reputation, acknowledging it as recognisable. He seems thoughtful with regards to the perspective Farid offers towards taking prizes. When Farid answers the questions regarding the length of the research agreement, Abolar seems especially interested and is obviously making some mental notes. His attention seem to fade a little as Farid talks about research proposals, though there is a smirk there.

“You should talk with Grand Scientist Baresu Zaqaru, I am sure you two will find much to discuss regarding ship designs. While I have my reservations regarding the battleship, there are already plans regarding improving the effectiveness of our bomber strike craft. I am sure that our forces well complement one other, I can provide carriers, strike craft and frigates alongside the cruisers of the Haytham Fleet.”

“As for who leads the Zaqaruan fleets, that will obviously be Grand Admiral Elos Roshami. Though know that it will not be just Zaqaruan fleets tasked to this objective. With regards to intelligence, in summary I know that the Sansones have access to the equivalent of 13 Zaqaruan fleets, 4 agencies, 4 industries, 6 universities and 3 courts.”

“I find your offer very appealing, though I have one condition. Should the noble might of our just cause prove great enough to overwhelm the enemy within the upcoming five years and secure the war goal, it is clear that righteousness is on our side and I wish to make use of the opportunity, extending the war to make House Sansone truly pay for their folly. Can we agree that should we find luck on our side for such swift victory, the price for continued support remains the same for the next war against the Sansones? After all, another swift victory would practically be guaranteed.”

Show
    “Fantastic!” Meta Zaqaru looks pleased at Earl Varrais de Pantou. “May I have the honour of announcing the betrothal?”

Show
    Meta Zaqaru sighs. “Let us hope you can indeed avoid damage. Enjoy the ball, Eshnuk.” She stands up and leaves the Earl alone, rejoining with her husband to move in the crowd of the ball.

Show
    Duke Abolar Zaqaru raises a glass towards Earl Ossus Sibab. “To Zaqaru. May we claim a swift victory.”

The conversations between Meta Zaqaru and Earl Ninki Eshnuk ends as she rejoins her husband. Duke Abolar Zaqaru and Earl Ossus Sibab share another glass, but eventually Duke Abolar Zaqaru moves on to speak with other guests.
    Last edited by Zweanslord; 2019-03-27 at 04:17 PM.

28. - Top - End - #58

PaladinGuy

House Greenflame

Enigma 4

Players

Zaqaru Ball
    Spoiler
    Show
    Abolar and Farid
    Spoiler
    Show
    Farid's eyebrow rises slightly at the new condition, but he nods. “If you will be adding war goals Duke Zaqaru then my fleet will continue to persist at your side, at the previous price. But in exchange for this quirk in our deal I ask that I will have a seat at the peace talks, to potentially make a demand of my own, if the war draws particularly long.”
    Farid extends a hand across the table, offer to shake.
    “Are we agreed, Abolar Zaqaru?”

29. - Top - End - #59
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

House Berger
    Enigma 5

Ernst was standing to the side of the Ball, simply watching the people dance. He wasn't planning on taking part, he'd never been interested in dancing, or parties in general. Other than diplomacy required, of course. He had just been delivered a message claiming that the Voss wanted peace. That they didn't actually want this war. That they'd even extradite his sister. Of course, with the reputation the Voss had, that was likely only a ruse, something to get him to lower his guard with.

"The war must continue" he thought to himself. Anything else would lead the Voss somehow finding a way to win again, against all odds. He kept watching the dancers move around the large room as the messenger patiently awaited for his response. Should the fleet continue mobilizing? "Order the fleet to continue as planned. You can't trust the Voss, and this 'peace offer' just makes an ambush ever more likely. We will be going on the offensive." And with that, the messenger was on his way, no longer irritating the snobbier nobles with his mere presence. Ernst stayed, still wondering whether truly was a ruse, or a legitimate offer.

Show

Spoiler: Emma Berger to Nabuna Zaqaru
    Show
    "My apologies. It's just so often when asked of one's family, the question is really only about the head. It is good to see there are exceptions to that."

"Well, back home whenever I'm not working on some official business my family tries to bore me to death with, there's a wonderful garden I've managed to put together, even though most in House Berger don't appreciate the finer things in life. If you ever come visit, you must let me show it to you. Even though they don't like to admit it, many of my relatives spend significant amounts of time there.

Apart from that, I'd say music. That of course being one of the reasons I so enjoy this event. The other, of course, being you."

Spoiler: Ernst Berger to Litte Zaqaru
    Show
    "We all have our ambitions. And taking [05, -02] away from Voss won't 'just' split them in half, it will split them in half in a very convenient manner. You see, that is the only system linking the kingdom to yours. And if I get the opportunity to gain control of the kingdom in some way, I will take it. I imagine your ambitions are very similar regarding the territories around your systems. As to what comes after that, we'll have to take a closer look in a few years."

Ernst grabs the drink Litte just poured for him.

"As to more personal matters", Ernst continues whilst returning the smile, "this Abus does indeed sound like the better candidate. It is getting late, and the Ball will soon be ending, so I'll be more blunt than perhaps is the custom in polite company. One of the reasons I came here was to secure a non aggression pact with Zaqaru. Those you only accept with close familial ties, correct? Such as a duke marrying the granddaughter of a duke. If that were to happen, we could sign [NAP worth 15 prestige]. That would not only prevent us from attacking each other, but bring some of the most powerful fleets in the galaxy closer together. We will need that if we ever plan to directly go against the Laramy, which I fear must eventually happen. Neither of the current candidates are fit to lead.

Of course, we'd have to manage to shift some of the current votes around. I believe both Grand Admiral Elos Roshami and Grand Scientist Baresu Zaqaru are voting for Nabuna not because they consider him a much better candidate than Abus, but because they believe him to be a better choice as far as the war is concerned. Now, if you, daughter of Abus, were to be married to me that might change some things. You see, if I assign some of my family members, many of them experienced officers, to lead the fleet into battle it is in fact the second strongest fleet in the entire galaxy, only behind the imperial Laramy fleet itself. While the next few years I must spend fighting the Voss, after that I should be able to aid you in your war if it is still ongoing. And if choosing Abus over Nabuna brings such allies, Both Elos and Baresu may yet vote for him."

Using FL to PM, following readable only by house Vastadd
    Spoiler: Ernst Berger to Izabela Vastadd (PM)
    Show
    "Hmm. I too have doubts on whether any of the remaining Laramy can ever become a proper emperor. It's far too early to strike directly against them though, that will have to wait for later. As far as information goes, this year's budget has already been spent, as far as agents go. Ask again after a while, and I may accept that offer. What is of interest to me, however, is your universities. Anything specific you are planning to research? I'd be very interested in acquiring more modern technology for the fleet."

Players

Spoiler: House Greenflame
    Show

Duke Farid

At this time, I can not allow the gatemaps to fall under control of people outside House Berger. House Berger is at war, and we must use the maps to our full advantage. While this is an unfortunate circumstance, I am sure you understand.

Duke Ernst

NPCs

Spoiler: House Voss
    Show
    Duchess Brechtje,

your House is infamous for it's unreliability. Backing off now would simply have me turn my back at the dagger you are pointing towards me. The war will continue.

Spoiler: Earl Byron
    Show
    In which case I give you mine. For the time being, many of our resources will have to be spent on the war with the Voss, but as soon as it is settled I can offer much more assistance. Hopefully this works for you.

Spoiler: Shadda Cabal
    Show
    I am interested in those maps you speak of. Are there additional gates that one can travel? Take shortcuts, so to speak.

The services offered by your alchemists also pique my interest. Anything you can tell about these items? Something that could be of use in our war against the Voss, perhaps?
    Last edited by Pahvimato; 2019-03-28 at 09:52 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigstipidfighte View Post
    Pahvi, if this is serious, you are a god among men.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

Zaqaru

Enigma 7

Show
    Duke Abolar Zaqaru and Duke Farid Greenflame have been speaking with each other in a niche somewhere between ballrooms. Their conversation comes to an end and Duke Abolar Zaqaru excuses himself to mingle amongst the ball crowd again. While he speaks a few guests as he is spoken to, he also taps a servant, exchanges a few words and then walks over to the ballroom where his sister, Meta Zaqaru is present.

The two hold a brief conversation, with mixed emotions visible on Duke Abolar’s face. After the conversation, where he clearly shows a sign of gratitude towards Meta, he then makes his way through the crowd and meets up with somebody Meta Zaqaru spoke to before. Earl Ninki Eshnuk, Earl in the Dimarq system, finds herself in the presence of a host of the Zaqaru Ball, Duke Abolar Zaqaru, with a conversation to follow.

Enigma 7

Show
    Duke Abolar Zaqaru smirks, but then his gaze turns serious. “Please state what you consider particularly long.”

[OOC] Conversed with Dinosaur on Discord and I know the answer to the above question. I’ll let Dinosaur post it in the next IC post, but will proceed on considering time concerns.[/OOC]

“We are agreed.” Duke Abolar Zaqaru stands up and moves to the side of the table, waiting for Farid to rise and then takes the offered hand, shaking it as seal of the deal.

After some final words, Duke Abolar Zaqaru mentions: “Now that we have an accord, there is a matter I must attend to if we are to succeed swiftly. I will return to you with news afterwards. After the ball, I will have Grand Scientist Baresu Zaqaru contact your House regarding the research and Grand Administrator Caksya Gupta regarding the trade. Enjoy the ball in the meantime and we will speak later.”

Spoiler: Duke Abolar Zaqaru and Earl Ninki Eshnuk
    Show
    “Earl Ninki Eshnuk, I am happy to see you at the Ball and hope you have enjoyed the drinks. I just spoke with Meta and understood you refused the offer to a betrothal.”

Duke Abolar Zaqaru opens his hands in a gesture of good will and openness. “You have justified concerns from your perspective, however I must inform you that the reasoning is lacking, for there is missing information.”

“The Sansone fleet will not pass through Dimarq. Instead, the battlefield will be at Dimarq. Unless you prevent it. Swear fealty to Zaqaru and the frontline will be the Dimarq-Gade gate, putting the Eshnuk holding behind the Zaqaru line.” With utter and complete confidence Abolar speaks: “Then Sansone will be driven back and Gade taken.” The statement finishes with a knowing smile.

“Ninki, if you wish to be known as the one who prevented a long and drawn out battle at Dimarq, I offer you this chance. Allow Zaqaru to be swift in its justice. Know that I will reward such loyalty after the war. So here, at this Ball, I ask you politely. Will you join Zaqaru?”

Spoiler: Nabuna Zaqaru and Emma Berger
    Show
    Nabuna’s smile widens, to show he is flattered by the last comment of Emma Berger. “It pleases me to know that.” It clearly does as there is an upbeat swing in his dancing steps, though there may be more to it.

“A garden you say? The beauty of the garden completes a mansion’s domain, so I can understand why many would spend time there, though it makes me wonder as to how the nearby interior is considered by your relatives.” There’s a short laugh as Nabuna steps forward. “Apologies, I simply find interior design to be of interest myself, but that is not what you are busy with. I would certainly be interested to see your garden. What do you consider the most vital part of a garden?”

Spoiler: Litte Zaqaru and Ernst Berger
    Show
    “I like the way you think, Ernst.” Litte Zaqaru mentioned with a clear smile. She pours another flower decorated glass with wine from the golden ornamented bottle, offering one to Ernst as well.

“Smart military strategy. Clear diplomatic goals, including those which extend beyond the coming years. Fine assessment of the current Zaqaru relations. For once,” Litte Zaqaru takes another drink from her glass. “I don’t mind bluntness.” However, her face shows that she is lying - it’s not once she won’t mind.

“Ernst, let’s make marriage arrangements so I will become your Duchess.” Litte offers a smile towards Ernst.

“Though I will point out that our marriage will, considering the Zaqaru position, be less prestigious [Non Agression Pact will only be 10 prestige if based on a marriage with Litte], because I am not the heir apparent.” There’s a short pause. “Given that latter subject, I do suggest you, in time, personally get in touch with the councillors to make the point. While I could, the message will be stronger from your position. I fear they may be caught up in the current matters to consider the arguments you raise.”