New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

Default Warlock Build for Front-line heavy party

The party I am about to join consists of a Battlemaster Fighter, Barbarian, Revised Ranger, and Divine Soul Sorcerer, starting at level 3. As no one has any ritual casting abilities, I plan to go with the Pact of the Tome and pick up the Book of Ancient Secrets invocation.

Tabaxi Warlock
    Rolled Stats:
    STR: 10
    DEX: 12+2=14
    CON: 16
    INT: 12
    WIS: 7
    CHA: 18+1=19

Fiend Patron
    Pact of the Tome
    Agonizing Blast
    Book of Ancient Secrets

Cantrips:
    Eldritch Blast
    Minor Illusion
    Sacred Flame
    Vicious Mockery
    Mending

1st Level:
    Identify (ritual)
    Alarm (ritual)
    Hex
    Command

2nd Level:
    Hold Person
    Invisibility

How does my build look so far? Any tips for later levels (spells, invocations, feats)?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Re: Warlock Build for Front-line heavy party

If you switch to GOOlock, you get Dissonant Whisper. DW is great when enemies have lots of melee around because it uses the targets reaction to force it to move away from you.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Dissonant Whisper should provoke the AOOs too.

It would have paired great with Spike Growth a couple of games ago... "you just crossed 40' of spikes? Do it again!"

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

With such a damage heavy team that relies on multi-attacks, you're not going to bring much uniqueness to the table as a high damage caster that relies on finishing enemies and dealing AoE damage.

Agreed with everyone else, Great Old One has a lot of tricks that your team can't already do.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

Dissonant Whispers looks cool, but I'm not impressed with the casting at higher levels. Is the base effect worth it enough to use one of my limited high level slots for only a few extra D6s of damage?
    How useful is the rest of the GOO's spell list and abilities? The Awakened Mind feature seems fairly similar to the message cantrip, is it different enough to be worth taking it over all the temp hp given by the fiend patron?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Nobody in the Playground Moderator

Before Hexblade was a thing, I LOVED my Fiend/Tome Warlock with Moderately Armored feat. It's a fun character from level 1 to levels 5 or 6 or so and then you'll probably be looking to multiclass because IMO Warlocks get kinda stale around those levels.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by CTurbo View Post
    Before Hexblade was a thing, I LOVED my Fiend/Tome Warlock with Moderately Armored feat. It's a fun character from level 1 to levels 5 or 6 or so and then you'll probably be looking to multiclass because IMO Warlocks get kinda stale around those levels.
    What would you say the best multiclass is from pure warlock? Sorcerer? What level would be best to leave warlock?

Thanks again for all the help!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by LetsGetStarted View Post
    What would you say the best multiclass is from pure warlock? Sorcerer? What level would be best to leave warlock?

Thanks again for all the help!
    Feindlock plays fine as a single class to 17. Just grab kiss of mestopholies and enjoy spamming fireball.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LetsGetStarted View Post
    Dissonant Whispers looks cool, but I'm not impressed with the casting at higher levels. Is the base effect worth it enough to use one of my limited high level slots for only a few extra D6s of damage?
    You can swap it out for another spell at high levels if you get tired of it. At low levels, it is reasonable crowd control and AOO provocation.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Honestly, if you are looking for a multiclass to go with warlock for that party I would take bard. Lots of decent control spells, backup healing, skills ... personally, I like lore bard X/ hexblade warlock 2 or 3 ... take Tomelock if you like. Personally, I think fiend patron doesn't bring that much to the table unless you want it for role play reasons. The medium armor, shield and martial weapon proficiencies, eldritch+agonizing blast, 2 short rest spell slots all go along way towards helping out any weaknesses in the bard (mostly lack of a decent at will damage ability to use when you aren't casting spells and limited armor choices).

On top of that, the bard can pick up magical secrets from any school and they get song of rest and jack of all trades.

Another popular multiclass that would work well with your group would be 1 level of life cleric/ lore bard X. Your melee folks would love the addition of bless to the line up. Life cleric gives a boost to your healing as well as armor and shield proficiencies. However, it does get away from the base warlock.