New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default If vampires are "your worst day personified," what are characters' vampires like?

Based on (1007)http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1007.html, if vampires are who the character's are at their worst on their worst day, what are the other characters' worst days and kind of vampires would other characters have?

Here are some of my guesses:

Roy: not really sure about this one, my best guess would be that Roy's worst day was when his brother died (interesting that Durkon's vampire brought that right up in their fight). So I guess his vampire would probably be angry, sad, immature, and completely absorbed in its daddy issues? Perhaps extending to a greater anger and resentment of authority figures and an authoritarian attitude stemming from its unwillingness to trust anyone else to be responsible?

Haley: not entirely sure what her worst day was based on growing up where she did but it could possibly be when Nale temporarily convinced Elan she was with him before she got her voice back. Either way I definitely think her vampire is definitely still pathologically untrusting of anyone ever and can't care about anything and likely lashes out at others to isolate itself and ensure it never cares about anything. Definitely an insecure loner. Possibly quite similar to Haley's Self Loathing, who appeared in the Nale lying strip?

Elan: this one is really hard since he's so innocent and its hard to guess what his worst moment would be. He's basically 0% malice 100% stupidity. The times when he has to accept bad things seem kind of rough for him, so maybe his vampire is angry about the world not living up to stories? Honestly, this one is the hardest.

V: it's got to be V during the soul splice... She even had the fangs...

Belkar: This one is hard. Assuming it's the worst day emotionally it seems like it would either be when Mr. Scruffy got hurt or when Durkon sacrificed his life for him. So, angry vampire that doesn't understand why they hurt for another being trying to stab out the emotions? Or if it means the worst behavior, angry vampire trying to stab everything for not giving it what it wants?

Miko: Miko's vampire has got to be basically Miko when executing Shojo and attacking Hinjo, right?

O-Chul: O-Chul is actually probably as difficult as Elan.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Based on Good Deeds Gone Unpunished, maybe it's the person his parents were raising him to be or something??? idk

Xykon: the most likely thing I can think of is
    Spoiler
    Show
    losing his coffee tasting abilities, though maybe losing his casting ability to Lirian's virus could be a candidate
    ? I think his behavior has been pretty consistent with what he did right after, so I guess Xykon's vampire would probably just be the same.

Redcloak: there are two candidates for his worst day his character is significantly shaped around them, so my guess would be that Redcloak's vampire would just be a more emotionally unstable version of Redcloak. Can you imagine the weird angsty circularly self-loathing conversations those two would have in his head?

Bonus: if there was a reverse vampire that was the best version of a character on their best day, what would that look like for different characters?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Default Re: If vampires are "your worst day personified," what are characters' vampires like?

...I think I'm Roy's vampire.
    This signature was written by me, Aveline, to indicate that this message was written by me, Aveline.

3. - Top - End - #3

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: If vampires are "your worst day personified," what are characters' vampires like?

I'm sorry to hear that :( you seem too nice for an evil undead

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

I don’t know about Elan’s vampire, but I bet his reverse vampire was the day he swung back into the main story. He and Haley declared they were in love, he proved to the order that he could be useful in a fight, and he defeated his big meanie brother.

5. - Top - End - #5

WolfInSheepsClothing

That's a good point, that was a great Elan moment and I forgot that's when he got Dashing Swordsman!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Elan’s worst day...In my opinion, there’s only one answer: Breaking out of the illusion, the realization that his family is screwed-up, broken, and isn’t going to get fixed. Thus, his vampire would probably be based around fixing his family...by any means. You just weren’t trying hard enough. I’ll repair them...Even if I hurt them to do it. It’ll take some tough love, but it’s all worth it to save my family. Basically, vampire Elan would with “fixing” his family, and would be willing to hurt anyone, including them, if he thought it’d help.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Xykon would probably be like that Vampire priestess, he'd just be down with the mindless slaughter and whatnot. Either that or he's even more of a problem because he cant stand not being in control.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raven777 View Post
    Sorcerers are also based on Charisma. If a Wizard studies the cheat codes to reality, the Sorcerer literally just glares or winks at the universe. And the universe listens.
    Quote Originally Posted by foobar1969 View Post
    Flexibility is awesome, but I'd sacrifice that spellbook in a heartbeat to be a 24-7 flying hentai apocalypse demon.

First Eternal foe of the Draconic Lord, battling him across the multiverse in whatever shapes and forms he may take.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

DruidGirl

Now I want to know what Non-Vampire-Malack was like.

Vampire Malack claims that killing him and resurrecting his non-vampiric self would just be a very elaborate way of killing him, but if he is shaped after the hole in that person's heart, then are they really that different?

(I imagine the desire to sacrifice thousands to Nergal may be caused by being Nergal's creature. It seems to be driven more by religion than by anger. That, or Malack's tribe sacrificed sapient creatures back then, too, and he just got frustrated at how inefficient the process was.)
    Last edited by Themrys; 2019-03-21 at 08:55 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Themrys View Post
    Now I want to know what Non-Vampire-Malack was like.

Vampire Malack claims that killing him and resurrecting his non-vampiric self would just be a very elaborate way of killing him, but if he is shaped after the hole in that person's heart, then are they really that different?

(I imagine the desire to sacrifice thousands to Nergal may be caused by being Nergal's creature. It seems to be driven more by religion than by anger. That, or Malack's tribe sacrificed sapient creatures back then, too, and he just got frustrated at how inefficient the process was.)
    It's been 200 years since Malack was vampirized, he's had ample time to develop his own personality beyond "the worst day of his host's life", he's made friends and has had children. Think how often you've heard people say they're not the same person they were 20 years ago, now add 180 years to that.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by CriticalFailure View Post
    Haley: not entirely sure what her worst day was based on growing up where she did
    That'd probably be the day her mom was shot and killed in front of her.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

When the vampire says it's your worst day personified, I don't think that means the day that was saddest for you. It means who you are at your worst. It is essentially all your flaws magnified. Durkon's a tough one because of course he's such a generally good dude that it took the saddest day of his life for him to get angry enough to go to such a dark place. Given this, my interpretation of the other vamps is a bit different.

Roy: At his worst, Roy is caustic and dismissive, and the worst thing he ever did was leave Elan behind. Seems to me, Roy's vampire would be arrogant, assured of his own superiority over others, and have no regard for his underlings.

Haley: Haley can be mistrustful and greedy, and once in awhile can be kinda cold-blooded. Her vampire would probably be solitary and secretive, killing anyone in her way and taking whatever she wanted to a hidden lair that no one could ever find or reach.

Elan: Elan's innocence comes with a side of carelessness and distractability. His vampire would probably treat mortals like toys, cruelly playing with them until he grew bored.

Vaarsuvius: V, well, we all know V's big flaws. Vampire V would probably devote themself to some sort of dark evolution, researching a method to attain godhood.

Belkar: Belkar's vamp would probably be little more than a savage, bestial predator. A highly effective one, mind you, willing to recklessly destroy whole towns in a single night.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jidasfire View Post
    When the vampire says it's your worst day personified, I don't think that means the day that was saddest for you. It means who you are at your worst. It is essentially all your flaws magnified. Durkon's a tough one because of course he's such a generally good dude that it took the saddest day of his life for him to get angry enough to go to such a dark place. Given this, my interpretation of the other vamps is a bit different.

Roy: At his worst, Roy is caustic and dismissive, and the worst thing he ever did was leave Elan behind. Seems to me, Roy's vampire would be arrogant, assured of his own superiority over others, and have no regard for his underlings.

Haley: Haley can be mistrustful and greedy, and once in awhile can be kinda cold-blooded. Her vampire would probably be solitary and secretive, killing anyone in her way and taking whatever she wanted to a hidden lair that no one could ever find or reach.

Elan: Elan's innocence comes with a side of carelessness and distractability. His vampire would probably treat mortals like toys, cruelly playing with them until he grew bored.

Vaarsuvius: V, well, we all know V's big flaws. Vampire V would probably devote themself to some sort of dark evolution, researching a method to attain godhood.

Belkar: Belkar's vamp would probably be little more than a savage, bestial predator. A highly effective one, mind you, willing to recklessly destroy whole towns in a single night.
    I mean, Gontor's says otherwise.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Firbolg in the Playground

Xykon: the most likely thing I can think of is
    Spoiler
    Show
    losing his coffee tasting abilities, though maybe losing his casting ability to Lirian's virus could be a candidate
    ? I think his behavior has been pretty consistent with what he did right after, so I guess Xykon's vampire would probably just be the same.
    Spoiler: SoD
    Show
    Can vampires taste coffee? If so, a vampire Xykon might actually be less bad than lich Xykon.

14. - Top - End - #14

GreataxeFighterGirl

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    Show
    Can vampires taste coffee? If so, a vampire Xykon might actually be less bad than lich Xykon.
    Non-lich Xykon is actually a remarkably chill guy. If vampirization works in reverse, he'd just be a lazy, less murdeous Elan-ish person.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by understatement View Post
    Non-lich Xykon is actually a remarkably chill guy. If vampirization works in reverse, he'd just be a lazy, less murdeous Elan-ish person.
    I disagree, considering
    Show
    1)He killed his family
    2)He killed the wizard who wanted to train him with a relatively small amount of provocation
    3)He killed the lizardfolk for having too long of a name.

Human Xykon was a little bit more chill than lich Xykon, but that's a low bar.

16. - Top - End - #16

GreataxeFighterGirl

Good point. I did mean he was more on the Affably Evil side of the spectrum, as in when he was being "nice" (ex: see him talk about coffee) he was not actively being a complete A-hole, although still as evil.

He fried Xavion and the lizard-dude without almost any thought -- he was way too lazy and "local"-petty to care. What he did to the SG was your point embodied.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Halfling in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Vulsutyr View Post
    I bet his reverse vampire
    Woah this is a super cool concept and with D&D's plethora of monsters I'm surprised I haven't seen it as a thing. (Maybe I missed it?) Maybe because good and violating free will don't go along well? But contagious positive energy spirits that take control of evil bodies and made them do good is so neat. Maybe they are hoping the soul that watches will eventually like doing good, will turn out to be the good version of Ponchula, or will eventually just fuse with the positive energy redeeming it in the afterlife?

18. - Top - End - #18

WolfInSheepsClothing

Yeah when I was thinking about that I was wondering what kind of good positive energy spirit could have that effect... Maybe they'd mostly bite the evil and try to show them the error in their ways?

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Yeah when I was thinking about that I was wondering what kind of good positive energy spirit could have that effect... Maybe they'd mostly bite the evil and try to show them the error in their ways?
    Deathless ("Good undead" created by positive energy) are mostly beings that keep defending someone, somewhere or something even beyond death, be it due to extreme determination that mixes with positive energy, blessed rituals or the blessing of some god.
    Each one of us, alone, is but a drop in the sea
    Our powers pale compared with the great heroes
    Our battles don’t hit theheadlines or shake the earth
    But they are few, can’t be everywhere, and we, many
    So, when the world or universe needs saving, they come
    But when people needs saving, we are the ones to appear
    We're underdogs, but we rise up to the challenge to be heroes.
    (Wishing Joe, a low-powered superhero)

"I really like the Geek Math'ology we do here"

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Elan's worst moment in the comic was when he not only discovered that his father was evil, but also that he used storytelling conventions to hurt people.

So, Vampire Elan would be, basically, Tarquin. Using his Bardic Lore to hurt people in a way that makes for a good story.
    Last edited by The Pilgrim; 2019-03-22 at 07:53 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Halfling in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

If you go with "worst" meaning "saddest," then Vaarsuvius' vampire wouldn't be a personification of the day V evil, it'd be a personification of either the day the dragon announced she was going to kill V's children (which is technically the same day but you know what I mean*) or the day V realized the full effects of Familicide. Personally I've always been torn about which moment was worse for V. On the one hand, you have the moment someone tells you they're about to kill your kids and trap their souls and there seems to be probably nothing you can do about it, and on the other hand, you have the moment you realize you accidentally killed countless people. So, sudden extreme fear for loved ones' lives (mixed with frustration and panic) vs. sudden extreme guilt. Tough call. Of course, V didn't completely fall apart during the first incident like V did in the second, but that was because the kids hadn't died yet so V needed/was able to focus on trying to figure out a way to save them.

For the record, I agree that "worst" probably means when you displayed your worst qualities. I just wrote the first paragraph because it's something I've wondered about for a while.

*Actually, I suppose we should discuss the implications of "worst day" vs. just "worst moment." ??
    "The genealogical trees at the end of the Red Book of Westmarch are a small book in themselves, and all but Hobbits would find them exceedingly dull." -J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by The Pilgrim View Post
    Elan's worst moment in the comic was when he not only discovered that his father was evil, but also that he used storytelling conventions to hurt people.

So, Vampire Elan would be, basically, Tarquin. Using his Bardic Lore to hurt people in a way that makes for a good story.
    I think the thing was more along the lines of "the moment you were at your worst" than "the worst moment you lived".

Because if losing a loved one was the worst day of your life, I have a hard time seeing what that makes of you as an evil vampire. You'd just sob all day?

It'd make a lot more sense to be interpreted as "the day you deviated the most from your morals".
    Attention LotR fans
    Spoiler: LotR
    Show
    The scouring of the Shire never happened. That's right. After reading books I, II, and III, I stopped reading when the One Ring was thrown into Mount Doom. The story ends there. Nothing worthwhile happened afterwards. Middle-Earth was saved.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Goblin_Priest View Post
    I think the thing was more along the lines of "the moment you were at your worst" than "the worst moment you lived".

Because if losing a loved one was the worst day of your life, I have a hard time seeing what that makes of you as an evil vampire. You'd just sob all day?

It'd make a lot more sense to be interpreted as "the day you deviated the most from your morals".
    Take a look at the motto of Neutral Evil on the strip 1138 : Lesson Planar.

Do not underestimate the power of despair to destroy.

Edit : I think it’s the day you felt worst, because an identity centered on pain is one that leads to harm others.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2019-03-22 at 02:22 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by nolongeralurker View Post
    you have the moment you realize you accidentally killed countless people.
    There was nothing accidental about Vaarsuvius killing countless people. They were bragging about their massive body count a second after they'd done it.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    There was nothing accidental about Vaarsuvius killing countless people. They were bragging about their massive body count a second after they'd done it.
    Ah yes, but V did accidentally kill countless people. You know, on top on the ones V killed intentionally.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2019-03-22 at 07:03 PM.
    Forum Wisdom

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

NO, but see, those people had scales and weren't metallic colors, so they don't count.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Ah yes, but V did accidentally kill countless people. You know, on top on the one V killed intentionally.
    "Accidently killed people I didn't WANT dead", perhaps?
    Quote Originally Posted by Goblin_Priest View Post

"He/she/they/this world took my family from me. I will repay the favor". Think Redcloak, you've got the right idea. Or Punisher.
    Last edited by woweedd; 2019-03-22 at 09:30 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Ah yes, but V did accidentally kill countless people. You know, on top on the one V killed intentionally.
    Hmm...no; Vaarsuvius could have easily not cast familicide, seeing as ABD was already dead at that point.

Outside of that, I'm going to suggest "incidentally" fits better than "accidentally".
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    Hmm...no; Vaarsuvius could have easily not cast familicide, seeing as ABD was already dead at that point.
    Yes? I didn't question that?

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    Outside of that, I'm going to suggest "incidentally" fits better than "accidentally".
    Sure.
    Forum Wisdom

29. - Top - End - #29
    Colossus in the Playground

Yes? I didn't question that?
    I think you typoed "one" where you meant "ones."

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

I think you typoed "one" where you meant "ones."
    Ah, yes, that is what happened. Good catch.
    Forum Wisdom