New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Post [3.5] Monster Mash - LA-assigned Monster Builds

As many would be aware, there have been a number of threads run by Inevitability where the playground has voted on LA assignment for various printed monsters.

The LA-assignment archive

...I thought it might be fun (and constructive) for us to offer builds for these creatures, using the assigned LA.

Builds can be as simple as one line (i.e. Troll Giant 6/Barbarian 1/Swordsage 13) or as detailed as an Iron Chef entry.

The idea is that others would offer critiques, suggestions and comments on the build.

To keep a "level playing field", I would suggest the following guidelines:

• No LA buyoff.
    • No homebrew, 3rd party or PF material.
    • Dragon magazine material optional.
    • If you're going to use templates, maybe stick to templates that have already been rated in the LA-assignment threads.

Also, should go without saying, but...be nice! You can offer suggestions on a build without being unpleasant about it.

All for a bit of fun, and maybe educational.

Cheers - T

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Reserved

Reserved just in case.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] Monster Mash - LA-assigned Monster Builds

For the purpose of the Society of Unconventional Adventurers, I had devised this Air Elemental 4/Scout 1 as an EL 5 guy. Using flaws, I took Great Flyby Attack, thus allowing me to attack as much as 8 different targets within a single Flyby Attack. That triggers Skirmish bonus damage for all 8 of them. The idea would have been to build off of his crazy high Dex (26), with stuff like Tactile Trapsmith to enhance his trapmonkeyness, and maybe latter some sort of Shadow Hand to get Dex to damage...

I also toyed with the idea of an Unicorn 4/Ardent 5, for the EL 10 dungeon. Using Practised Manifester to shore up for the lost manifester level and remain up to date with 5th level powers. Picking mantles for gishing like the Life mantle, etc, to turn the Unicorn into an ubercharger with some more varied tricks.

For the 15th level dungeon, I'd wanted to turn my first Villainous Competition entry (see my signature) into a PC: a Bodak 9/Wilder 6 named The Alien. Lotsa death-gaze-enhancing feats, supported by psionics to dispel away death effect immunities, etc. His sheet is actually thoroughly done, if anyone wants to steal it

And my last idea was a Gelatinous Cube 4/Dragonfire Adept X. That +16 Con is very tempting for a crazy boost to the breath weapon DC, while Humanoid Shape as a lesser invocation turns the jelly into a usable PC.
    VC XV, The horsemen are drawing nearer: The Alien and the Omen (part 1 and part 2).
    VC XVI, Burn baby burn:Nero
    VC XVIII, This is Heresy! Torquemada
    VC XX, Elder Evil: Henry Bowyer

And a repository of deliciously absurd sentences produced by maddened optimisers in my extended signature

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by remetagross View Post
    I guess I could pull off those builds I had prepared for the dungeon that was mentioned once...

By the way, a while back, Dimers and I did co-DM a PbP one-shot for EL 5 PCs using monsters from this thread, though it didn't get past a few encounters before the game came to a halt. We had a Barbarian Ghoul, a Warlock Lantern Archon, a Warblade Awakened Cheetah...it felt about right, power-wise, we had devised encounters adapted to the peculiarities of the PCs (like the paralyzing touch of the Ghoul, etc) so as to make certain monsters vulnerable to them and some others resistant, and the encounters seemed about OK as far as CR 5 encounters went. It pretty much validated these monsters as PCs with their assigned LA, as far as a pair of fights can do such.
    A barbarian?! Gahh I was a cleric
    https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1515334

I also had my Formian taskmaster
    https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1519114
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    I feel like telling the ghost of Gary Gygax to hold your beer is a good way to suddenly stop being the GM, but I have to admit that this would probably be remarkably effective. At what, I dunno, but effective.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombulian View Post
    I am continually astounded by how new you are here in contrast to how impressive your mind is.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Sorry mate^^ but I swear there was a Barbarian somewhere....maybe an Imp?
    VC XV, The horsemen are drawing nearer: The Alien and the Omen (part 1 and part 2).
    VC XVI, Burn baby burn:Nero
    VC XVIII, This is Heresy! Torquemada
    VC XX, Elder Evil: Henry Bowyer

And a repository of deliciously absurd sentences produced by maddened optimisers in my extended signature

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

I'm not that good at 3.5, but I may lurk this thread.

My best ideas for builds are ways to play the Unholy Scion build while still being a fetus. My best idea so far was to be a kobold egg carried around by the charmed mother, but there's room to grow.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

So, anyone want to help me with this build:

Forest Troll Giant 5/Cloistered Cleric 1/Swordsage 14. (Cleric dip for domains, and access to a Wand of Venomfire).

What feats and domains would you recommend? Demonic domain gives +1 profane bonus to attack and damage with natural weapons...

For stats, looking as follows (elite array):

Str 13 +6
    Dex 14 +6
    Con 8 +10
    Int 12
    Wis 15
    Cha 10 -4

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    So, anyone want to help me with this build:

Forest Troll Giant 5/Cloistered Cleric 1/Swordsage 14. (Cleric dip for domains, and access to a Wand of Venomfire).

What feats and domains would you recommend? Demonic domain gives +1 profane bonus to attack and damage with natural weapons...

For stats, looking as follows (elite array):

Str 13 +6
    Dex 14 +6
    Con 8 +10
    Int 12
    Wis 15
    Cha 10 -4
    So it really depends on what you are looking for as far as domains, War could be a good one if you can get improved unarmed strike from it. Hunger will give you a better bite attack, time will give you improved initiative, dream immunity to fear, pride lets you reroll a one on saves, and travel freedom of movements. Honestly it would probably be good to try and take a few levels of totemist to increase the number of natural attacks you have since it seems like you are going with that focus. Investing in the poison line of feats from Serpent Kingdom also seems like a pretty good idea. As well as picking up pounce somewhere, are you planning to do that with that one pounce maneuver? (I am not very good with ToB)

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

Goblin

I built a half-dragon (red) thoqqua for one of the first games, but I never even started the game because of time commitments elsewhere. Maybe this thread would be a good place to report, not only the character, but some of the rules questions I had and some of the rulings I got from the DM (Dimers):

Spoiler: Rulings
    Show
    • Type Traits: I begged and got permission to keep elemental traits, even though Half-Dragon gives the dragon type.
    • Claws: I initially didn't want the claws from the half-dragon template, because it just felt like it didn't suit the "worminess" of the character, but Dimers kind of told me to take the claws anyway. So I fluffed the claws as sharp appendages somewhere near her head (like insect mandibles, or maybe just flexible scales, I don't remember the decision).
    • Item Slots: Dimers gave me 5 body slots for magic items: body, head, 2 rings and waist.
    • Item Protection: My items had to be protected from fire, and I was allowed to pay for it using the rules for protecting spellbooks in Complete Arcane (p. 140). I paid 200 gp for fire resistance 5 (1/5th of the price for the resistance option that protects against all 5 basic energy types). A thoqqua's touch usually does 2d6 fire damage (average 6.5 damage), but fire damage is halved against objects, and all my items had hardness of 2 (leather) or greater, so the maximum fire damage my touch could do to them was 4 (12 / 2 - 2), so fire resistance 5 was sufficient to protect my items.
    • Companion Protection: I also took the Draconic Aura feat at 3rd level, and selected the Energy Resistance aura, so my companions could have fire resistance 5, because I really didn't want to be a hazard to them.
    • Custom Item: I was allowed to make and wear a necklace of natural weapons custom-built as a ring for +50% cost
    • Languages: There's no indication that a thoqqua can speak, so Dimers decided to rule that it has no native speech ability; but he did let me spend skill points on Speak Language to buy the ability to speak. I only had 3 class skills, and 36 points to spend, so I needed something to spend my skill points on, anyway.

And here is a quick statblock (I wish GitP had the OOC codes, like Myth-Weavers has: they're so handy for displaying statblocks):

Spoiler: Zrrkushkrya
    Show
    Zrrkushkrya
    Neutral Female Half-Dragon (red) Thoqqua 3

Size and Type: Medium Dragon (Augmented Elemental, Fire)
    Hit Dice: 3d10+12 (34 hp)
    Initiative: +3
    Speed: 30 ft, Burrow 20 ft
    Armor Class: 24 (+11 natural, +3 Dex), Touch 13, Flat=footed 21
    BAB/Grapple: +2 / +9
    Attack: slam +10 melee (1d6+8 plus Heat, Burn)
    Full Attack: slam +10 melee (1d6+8 plus Heat, Burn) and 2 claws +7 melee (1d4+3 plus Heat) and bite +7 melee (1d6+3 plus Heat)
    Space/Reach: 5 ft / 5 ft
    Special Attacks: Breath Weapon 1/day (30-ft cone, 7d8 fire, Ref DC 15); Burn (Ref DC 15); Heat 2d6 fire
    Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft, Immunities (fire, paralysis, poison, sleep, stun), Low-light vision, Tremorsense 60 ft, Vulnerabilities (cold)
    Saves: Fort +8, Ref +5, Will +5
    Abilities: Str 24, Dex 16, Con 18, Int 10, Wis 16, Cha 16
    Skills: Jump (CC) +10, Listen +9, Move Silently +9, Speak Language (CC) 3, Spot (CC) +6, Survival +9
    Feats: Draconic Aura (Energy Resistance), Entangling Exhalation, Multiattack, Power Attack
    Items: dragon spirit cincture, ring of natural attacks (+1 claws), vest of resistance
    Languages: Common, Draconic, Ignan

Naturally, the goal of this character was really just, "Fire! Fire! Fire!" But she would have been pretty good in melee: if all her attacks hit, she could deal 50+ damage with a basic full attack, and her AC was solid. I don't remember Dimers' ruling on the "springing charge" maneuver that thoqquas are supposed to be able to do, but I'm sure it would have been interesting to play around with.

I was also hoping her ability to tunnel through stone would help with dungeon navigation and trap avoidance, and possibly as a nifty escape route if we had to flee (the tunnels she makes leave "blistering hot" walls, but my companions would have fire resistance, thanks to my aura, while our opponents wouldn't, so they might not be able to pursue us easily).

Her future progression would have involved a barbarian level for Pounce, to work with the springy charge thing, but I wasn't sure where to go after that. I also planned to take the Dragon Breath feat at 6th level so I could get more use out of her breath weapon. I also needed to try investing in something other than fire, even though that wouldn't be nearly as fun.

-----

Also, I've pointed this out before, but we've been using Inevitability's Reassigned LA's at the ongoing Realm Folded Tavern game at Myth-Weavers for some time now. I got it approved by the other moderators, and players have been building all kinds of fun stuff with it.
    Last edited by Blue Jay; 2019-03-22 at 11:30 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

I present to you, one of the angriest characters in all of D&D.

Asura, Nature's Wrath
    Chaotic Shifter (longtooth) Were-Wolverine
    Lion Totem Barbarian 1/ Wolverine 4HD/ Warshaper 3/ Weretouched Master (wolverine) 4/ Frenzied Berserker 5/ Berserk 1

Capable of raging/frenzying/battle-furying 5 times simultaneously. He can even end some of these voluntarily. Throw in Morphic Body - which arguably applies twice if you are both in wolverine form and shifting - and your total bonus to strength (before items or even initial stats) is +42 or +46.

If using the LA thread assigned LA of +1, you've got more damage resistance and an extra level to play with. Another level of Warshaper nets you fast healing 2. The Feral Creature template gives some lovely stat boosts, though it appears the special attacks it grants only apply in humanoid or hybrid form, while the wolverine rage only applies in wolverine form. Barbarian 2 gives some nice options (my favorite is usually Wolf Totem for Improved Trip into Knock-Down, but this build is probably too feat-starved without flaws). And of course many more.

Speaking of feats:
    1. Longtooth Elite (with flaws Improved Unarmed Strike and Extra Rages)
    2. Track (B)
    3. Power Attack
    6. Cleave
    9. Intimidating Rage
    10. Shifter Savagery (B)
    12. Destructive Rage, Ragewild Fighting (B)
    13. Diehard (B)
    15. Improved Unarmed Strike
    18. Leap Attack

Edit: you probably don't actually need Improved Unarmed Strike, since them taking that attack of opportunity just guarantees two of your rages will proc if they haven't already. That in mind, bumping Leap Attack to level 15 and taking Shifter Multiattack or Extra Rages at 18 is probably the better call, for effectively +3 to all natural weapons and shifting +1/day or 2 extra rages respectively.
    Last edited by PoeticallyPsyco; 2019-03-29 at 08:31 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

Or perhaps you want something Halloweeny for the season? Halloween Webcomics II

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Blink Dog 4/LA +1/Invisible Fist Cobra-Strike Monk 2/Totemist 2/Swordsage 7/Shadowlord 4
    1. RHD 1 - Hidden Talent (Dimension Hop) or Darkstalker
    2. RHD 2
    3. RHD 3 - Weapon Finesse
    4. RHD 4
    5. Monk 1 - IUS, Dodge
    6. Monk 2 - Mobility, Spring Attack
    7. Totemist 1
    8. Totemist 2
    9. Swordsage 1 - Planar Touchstone (Catalogues of Enlightenment: Portal)
    10. Swordsage 2
    11. Shadowlord 1
    12. Shadowlord 2 - Sun School
    13. Shadowlord 3
    14. Shadowlord 4
    15. Swordsage 3 - Shadow Blade
    16. Swordsage 4
    17. Swordsage 5
    18. Swordsage 6 - Craven
    19. Swordsage 7

Gets 4 Shadow Pounces per round, plus Sun School pretty reliably. Incurs multiclass penalties, but what can you do?

Might play around with some Aboleth builds later.

Iron Chef Medals
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sir Driscoll Conia - Silver - IC L

Nick Snarespan - Gold - IC LIII

Lucy "Legs" Silvertail - Bronze - IC LXVIII

Bolfarg of Knoss - Gold - IC LXXVII

Ivarr Deathborn - Bronze - IC LXXVII

Ahmtel - Silver - IC LXXVIII

Tocke of Nessus - Gold - IC LXXIX

The Blessed Third - Silver - IC LXXXI

Galahad Galapagos - Gold - IC LXXXIV

Sai-don, Knight of the Tide - Bronze - IC LXXXIV

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Question Re: [3.5] Monster Mash - LA-assigned Monster Builds

So, need some suggestions on a Visilight build...

Outsider 5/X 1/Suel Arcanamach 4/Abjurant Champion 5/X 5

Not sure how to fill in the gaps. Obviously want to get Suel Arcanamach casting to 10.

Alternatively...

Outsider 5/X 1/Sorcerer 3/Warrior Skald 1/Sublime Chord 5/Abjurant Champion 5.

Obviously going to need Silent Spell for casting.

Also, looking for a list of Sor/Wiz spells that don;t have Verbal components (a lot of these would be useless in the majority of builds):

Launch Item
    Silent Portal

Accelerated Movement
    Breath Flare
    Death Grimace
    Distract
    Eyes of the Avoral
    Lantern Light
    Nether Trail
    Stupor
    Wings of The Sea

Aiming at the Target
    Desiccating Bubble
    Essence Of The Dragon
    Molten Strike
    Price of Loyalty
    Suppress Dragonmark
    Turbidity
    Understand Object

Air Breathing
    Amorphous Form
    Corpse Candle
    Dragonskin
    Evil Eye
    Gaseous Form
    Invoke the Cerulean Sign
    Khyber Trap
    Mesmerizing Glare
    Scintillating Sphere

Blinding Breath
    Negative Energy Wave
    Rebuking Breath
    Spell Snare
    Stunning Breath

Airy Water
    Breath Weapon Substitution
    Dimension Door, Greater
    Dispelling Breath
    Ethereal Breath
    Stop Heart

Imperious Glare
    Mislead

Animate Breath
    Hide from Dragons
    Greater Stunning Breath

Breath Weapon Admixture
    Enervating Breath

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

So, need some suggestions on a Visilight build...

Outsider 5/X 1/Suel Arcanamach 4/Abjurant Champion 5/X 5

Not sure how to fill in the gaps. Obviously want to get Suel Arcanamach casting to 10.

Alternatively...
    Crusader 1, jade Phoenix mage 5. You'll be very close to full bab, get some initiator stuff. Grab full proficiency and make a decent gish.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    I feel like telling the ghost of Gary Gygax to hold your beer is a good way to suddenly stop being the GM, but I have to admit that this would probably be remarkably effective. At what, I dunno, but effective.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombulian View Post
    I am continually astounded by how new you are here in contrast to how impressive your mind is.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

I always tried to make a cool Athach tripper, but as a gestalt. First time I see this LA-assignment, and Ill try me strength with it. So fun stuff - savage species says additional hands give you additional 5ft. reach.

Athach 14/ Exoticist 2/ Wolf Totem Barbarian 2/ Chaos Monk 2

From Wolf Totem Barbarian you get improved trip
    From exoticist you get exotic attack and Meteor Hammer proficiency (DrMag #319)
    Monk with fighting style giving combat reflexes (get it from monk without prereqs so you dont care about your int) I picked INVISIBLE EYE coz so :D

Made also small cheating - I treat HDs as how mature my athach is - and my athach started being barbarian, before being fully mature (it allowed me to take some feats :D)

Take monks decisive strike for double damage also on aoo

Total reach is 45ft (15 from athach + 15 from Meteor Hammer + 10 from reach weapon size increase + 5 from additional hand)

Attributes (elite array):
    14 + 16 = 30
    15 + 2 = 17
    12 + 10 = 22
    13 + -4 = 9
    8 + 2 = 10
    10 + -4 = 6

Spoiler
    Show
    CR Class Base Attack Bonus Fort Save Ref Save Will Save Skills Feats Class Features
    1 Athach 1 +0 +0 +0 +2 Skills Power Attack Three arms, +1 natural armor
    2 Athach 2 +1 +0 +0 +3 Skills +2 Str, bite 1d4, poison (1d4 Str, 1d4 Str)
    3 Athach 3 +2 +1 +1 +3 Skills Improved Bull Rush +2 Str, +2 Con, Bite 1d6
    4 Athach 4 +3 +1 +1 +4 Skills +2 natural armor, poison (1d6 Str, 1d6 Str)
    5 Athach 5 +3 +1 +1 +4 Skills +2 Str, +2 Con, +3 natural armor
    6 Athach 6 +4 +2 +2 +5 Skills Mage Slayer Rock throwing (2d4, 50-ft. range increment), +2 Str
    7 Athach 7 +5 +2 +2 +5 Skills Multiattack, Large size, reach 10 ft., +4 natural armor, Speed 40 ft.
    8 Athach 8 +6 +2 +2 +6 Skills +2 Str, +2 Con, bite 2d6
    9 Athach 9 +6 +3 +3 +6 Skills Shock Trooper Rock throwing (2d6, 100-ft. range increment)
    10 Athach 10 +7 +3 +3 +7 Skills +2 Str, +2 Dex, +5 natural armor
    11 Athach 11 +8 +3 +3 +7 Skills +2 Str, +2 Con, poison (1d6 Str, 2d6 Str)
    12 Athach 12 +9 +4 +4 +8 Skills To be filled +2 Con, +7 natural armor, bite 2d8
    13 Wolf Totem Barbarian 1 +10 +6 +4 +8 Skills Fast movement, illiteracy, rage 1/day
    14 Athach 13 +10 +6 +4 +8 Skills +2 Str, +8 natural armor
    15 Wolf Totem Barbarian 2 +11 +7 +4 +8 Skills Knock-down Improved Tripping
    16 Athach 14 +12 +7 +4 +9 Skills Huge size (face 15 ft.), reach 15 ft., speed 50 ft.
    17 Exoticist 1 +13 +9 +4 +9 Skills Meteor Hammer proficiency, exotic attack
    18 Chaos Invisibe Eye Monk 1 +13 +11 +6 +11 Skills Robilar's Gambit Combat Reflexes, decisive strike, unarmed strike
    19 Chaos Invisibe Eye Monk 2 +14 +12 +7 +12 Skills Lightning Reflexes, evasion
    20 Exoticist 2 +15 +13 +7 +12 Skills Improved Initiative
    Last edited by maxion; 2019-04-04 at 08:38 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by PoeticallyPsyco View Post
    I present to you, one of the angriest characters in all of D&D.

Asura, Nature's Wrath
    Chaotic Shifter (longtooth) Were-Wolverine
    Lion Totem Barbarian 1/ Wolverine 4HD/ Warshaper 3/ Weretouched Master (wolverine) 4/ Frenzied Berserker 5/ Berserk 1

Capable of raging/frenzying/battle-furying 5 times simultaneously. He can even end some of these voluntarily. Throw in Morphic Body - which arguably applies twice if you are both in wolverine form and shifting - and your total bonus to strength (before items or even initial stats) is +42 or +46.

If using the LA thread assigned LA of +1, you've got more damage resistance and an extra level to play with. Another level of Warshaper nets you fast healing 2. The Feral Creature template gives some lovely stat boosts, though it appears the special attacks it grants only apply in humanoid or hybrid form, while the wolverine rage only applies in wolverine form. Barbarian 2 gives some nice options (my favorite is usually Wolf Totem for Improved Trip into Knock-Down, but this build is probably too feat-starved without flaws). And of course many more.

Speaking of feats:
    1. Longtooth Elite (with flaws Improved Unarmed Strike and Extra Rages)
    2. Track (B)
    3. Power Attack
    6. Cleave
    9. Intimidating Rage
    10. Shifter Savagery (B)
    12. Destructive Rage, Ragewild Fighting (B)
    13. Diehard (B)
    15. Improved Unarmed Strike
    18. Leap Attack

Edit: you probably don't actually need Improved Unarmed Strike, since them taking that attack of opportunity just guarantees two of your rages will proc if they haven't already. That in mind, bumping Leap Attack to level 15 and taking Shifter Multiattack or Extra Rages at 18 is probably the better call, for effectively +3 to all natural weapons and shifting +1/day or 2 extra rages respectively.
    Though it is feat heavy fist of the forest would be an amusing addition for this guy...

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by liquidformat View Post
    Though it is feat heavy fist of the forest would be an amusing addition for this guy...
    Yeah that definitely fits the theme. If using the +1 LA and either using flaws or forgoing Leap Attack I think a level in it would be worth the price of admission. Especially since a second bite attack means an extra point of Con damage, and that's always a welcome addition.

My second build is a little simpler. War Troll 12/ Monk 8, with Vow of Poverty. Definitely take Touch of Golden Ice as one of those bonus feats. Who needs items when you're dishing out dexterity damage and the dazed/stunned conditions like they're going out of style.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

Or perhaps you want something Halloweeny for the season? Halloween Webcomics II

17. - Top - End - #17

ElfMonkGuy

I made a Giant Owl for one game, with plans to go into Sword Sage.

This was using the base +2 LA rather than the adjustment thread. The game started at 3rd and also allowed three additional 'free' hit dice which had to be either monster HD or LA. It was obviously much better to have 3 RHD than 2 LA and 1 RHD, but I had a fun character idea of being a paladin mount that survived its paladin. The game never actually fired off, but building the character gave me a pretty good idea of how it would turn out.

It looked something like this...

Giant Owl 4 / Swordsage X (and +1 LA)

Str: highest possible (it's a melee character, and also carrying capacity matters)
    Dex: eh
    Con: high
    Int: eh
    Wis: high-ish
    Cha: eh

Feats...
    1st: Improved Flight/Hover (Hover gets a non-party-friendly dust cloud that blinds with no save; getting to 'good' maneuverability lets you hover at full speed, but without the dust cloud. With the terrible ground speed and the fact that RAW and probably RAI the cloud also blinds you, I decided to go with the more reliable option of Improved Flight.)
    3rd: Flyby Attack
    6th: Adaptive Style

The high strength and quadrupedal carrying capacity (+50%; easy to miss on the initial read-through) meant that it was going to be pretty easy to be the 'wings' of the party, which gives you something useful to do outside of combat at those levels (magic items to increase carry capacity can also let you carry large-size party members) while Swordsage gets you more skillpoints to do stuff with in later levels. A bonus to Wis and massive racial bonus to listen means you are seldom surprised. This particular campaign was pretty low-OP, so I expected the ability to carry others around to be useful even into the mid and later levels. The high Strength also lets you land maneuvers reliably.

You struggle a bit for damage before 6th. From that point onward you're pretty well solidified in your role as a mobile striker sort of character who flies in with a maneuver or two with Flyby Attack, then holds off for a turn to recover. The GM ruled that having two claws could be used for dual-wielding maneuvers from Tiger Claw. Seems pretty reasonable to me given that claws are a discipline weapon, but your mileage may vary.

You can also be a mount for a spellcaster or archer and keep them mostly out of danger via your high movement between flyby attacks. If you truly have no shame and your GM is pliant then you could do the whole backpack party thing and become a flying fortress. I'm pretty sure that requires a very lax attitude towards the rules, though.

A large Move Silently bonus with a bad Hide skill is questionably useful, but with a high movement speed and good sensory acuity, one mustn't forget the enemy's distance penalties.

Naturally, the disadvantages are that you aren't a spellcaster, you lose out on skillpoints for your first few levels, and your initiator progression is slowed somewhat. Also no hands, although maneuvers make the lack of a magic weapon for full attacks hurt a lot less.

I feel like a 'better' build would be a pouncing ubercharger, as flight takes care of a lot of the complexities of charging at people. However it's worth noting that the game in question was, at least on paper, planned to be low-ish OP.
    Last edited by Anachronity; 2019-05-02 at 02:17 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

I'm trying to build an half-earth elemental ogre mage grapple wizard recurring villain(level 10), and I'm struggling with spells, but like the basic idea, which is to enter grapple without warning, use spellflower+touch spells to incapacitate, and use natural strength/possible armor spikes to finish off opponent.

Main problems: spell list, figuring out schools to ban because I chose focused specialist for bonus spells.

Unarmed strike, improved grapple, still spell

Partial spell list:
    Adept spirit
    Appear behind
    Spellflower
    Backblast
    Bedevil

Daltims fiery tenticles
    Disarm
    Entice gift
    Ghoul touch
    Touch of idiocy
    True strike
    Combust

Enchantment disruption
    Shocking grasp
    Last edited by minichirops; 2019-05-20 at 06:13 PM. Reason: Left out detail

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Ogre-Mages are notoriously over CR'd at CR 8. Is this a PC or NPC?

Some people prefer the "fixed" version of Ogre-Mage here: http://archive.wizards.com/default.a...d/dd/20060721a

20. - Top - End - #20
    Barbarian in the Playground

Ogre-Mages are notoriously over CR'd at CR 8. Is this a PC or NPC?

Some people prefer the "fixed" version of Ogre-Mage here: http://archive.wizards.com/default.a...d/dd/20060721a
    Cool article! That comparison table to the Stone Giant was very damning.
    Known among friends as "Ogres"

...so as we can see, no internal consistency from WotC (unsurprising).

21. - Top - End - #21

I think they count as monsters for this- been thinking of playing a pseudoddragon one day, wholly Dragonfire Adept, assuming LA3 with the HD levels removed.

Main thing I'm not sure on is if you still get feats on levels that are within the LA levels. I may be misunderstanding how LA works. (if you do get feats on LA levels, I'd probably just stick mindsight and flyby attack/prereqs for that if possible in there since pseudos are 60ft telepathy-users and fly)

The main goal was to be a dragon-spellcaster who can sort of hide away and pretend to be 'merely a familiar' if the humans grow to his distaste, and playing on the kind of alien-ness of being a tiny dragon the size of a dog or a large cat in a world full of humanoids. Character's initial goal would be to be a much-feared dragon in legends, but would slowly grow through play into protecting its hoard- the party, people it wants to protect and preserve!

Threw in some luck feats because they do look fun. Would swap that for upgrades to breath attack or dragon subtype feats otherwise.

Main stats would be Charisma, Int, then Con in that order I guess. Charisma for invocation DC, Int for skills to play with luck feats, and Con because if I get a decent third stat roll it'd make a change to have nice hp for once.

Character Level 4: Dragonfire Adept 1 *Least Invocations unlocked!*
    1 Invocation known: Endure Exposure- entire party is immune to my breath weapon and get the benefits of a endure elements spell.
    Level 5: Drgonfire Adept 2
    *Level 2 Dragonfire Adept Breath Effect: Frost Breath- can do a breath attack that isn’t going to set the world on fire.
    Level 6: Dragonfire Adept 3
    2nd invocation known: Magic Insight- Provide party with benefits of Identify at will.
    *Level 6 feat: Lucky Start- accumulate luck rerolls daily, can now reroll initiative checks
    Level 7: Dragonfire Adept 4
    Level 8: Dragonfire Adept 5
    *Level 5 Dragonfire Adept Breath Effect: Slow Breath- applies Slow in breath range
    Level 9: Dragonfire Adept 6 *Lesser Invocations unlocked*
    Invocation to learn: Charm- at will charm monster.
    *Level 9 feat: Make your own luck- can now use luck rerolls to reroll all skill checks immediately.
    Level 10: Dragonfire Adept 7
    Level 11: Dragonfire Adept 8
    Invocation to learn: Voracious Dispelling- at will dispel magic
    Level 12: Dragonfire Adept 9
    *Level 12 feat: Entangling Exhalation- can now entangle creatures with my breath weapon and get damage for 1d4 rounds
    Level 13: Dragonfire Adept 10
    *Level 10 Dragonfire Adept Breath Effect: Sleep Breath: can make weak enemies sleep
    Level 14: Dragonfire Adept 11 *Greater invocations unlocked*
    Invocation to learn: Baleful Geas- standard action version of Geas/Quest
    Level 15: Dragonfire Adept 12
    *Level 15 Feat: Exhaled Barrier- can now create a 10x10 opaque force field out of our breath attacks.
    Level 16: Dragonfire Adept 13
    Invocation to learn: Chilling fog- solid fog slows targets, and deals damage.
    Level 17: Dragonfire Adept 14
    Level 18: Dragonfire Adept 15
    *Level 15 Dragonfire Adept Breath Effect: [left blank, possibly the bahamut/tiamat one depending on alignment]
    *Level 18 Feat: Extra Invocation (take an extra invocation up to one below what our max is. Take the Lesser Invocation, Walk Unseen, so we have at-will invisibility*
    Level 19: Dragonfire Adept 16 *Dark Invocations unlocked!*
    Invocation to learn: Energy Immunity- at will, no longer get damage from 1 energy type, changeable at will.
    Level 20: Dragonfire Adept 17
    Last edited by Malphegor; 2019-05-21 at 09:02 AM.
    OI YOU! Join this one Discord where people talk 3.5 stuff! Also chicken infested related things! It’s pretty rad! https://discord.gg/6HmgXhUZ