New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Holy Symbols

1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Holy Symbols

Just occurred to me that none of these vampire clerics should be able to cast their spells, because they don't have holy symbols of Hel!

Guess we'll just be handwaving that away, now, though. :P
    Attention LotR fans
    Spoiler: LotR
    Show
    The scouring of the Shire never happened. That's right. After reading books I, II, and III, I stopped reading when the One Ring was thrown into Mount Doom. The story ends there. Nothing worthwhile happened afterwards. Middle-Earth was saved.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Holy Symbols

The Church of Hel seems holy the first thing a Cleric wears around their neck.
    Prove otherwise.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

I just read the Cleric description on the SRD and it didn't specify clerics need their holy symbol to cast spells, just to turn/rebuke undead?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

The Holy Symbol is only really needed to turn/rebuke undead.
    Hel is an evil deity and thus grats rebuke undead to her clerics.
    All clerics of Hel are undead, as Hel can't make clerics among the living.

Therefore, Hel doesn't gives a Holy Symbol to her clerics, to prevent them from going blind for bolstering themselves.
    Last edited by The Pilgrim; 2019-03-22 at 07:43 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by The Pilgrim View Post
    The Holy Symbol is only really needed to turn/rebuke undead.
    Hel is an evil deity and thus grats rebuke undead to her clerics.
    All clerics of Hel are undead, as Hel can't make clerics among the living.

Therefore, Hel doesn't gives a Holy Symbol to her clerics, to prevent them from going blind for bolstering themselves.
    Who would have guessed that Tarquin had such a dirty mind?
    Ever wondered how many games are mentioned in the comic? I have listed them all in a geeklist: https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/2...es-order-stick

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    I just read the Cleric description on the SRD and it didn't specify clerics need their holy symbol to cast spells, just to turn/rebuke undead?
    Most cleric spells require the "divine focus".

Divine Focus (DF)

A divine focus component is an item of spiritual significance. The divine focus for a cleric or a paladin is a holy symbol appropriate to the character’s faith.

If the Components line includes F/DF or M/DF, the arcane version of the spell has a focus component or a material component (the abbreviation before the slash) and the divine version has a divine focus component (the abbreviation after the slash).
    Last edited by Goblin_Priest; 2019-03-22 at 08:04 AM.
    Attention LotR fans
    Show
    The scouring of the Shire never happened. That's right. After reading books I, II, and III, I stopped reading when the One Ring was thrown into Mount Doom. The story ends there. Nothing worthwhile happened afterwards. Middle-Earth was saved.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Goblin_Priest View Post
    Indeed. On the other hand, it is usually easy to desecrate a holy symbol of another religion to make it acceptable to your own. Usually, by breaking it or defiling it or both - say, take Thor's symbol, brake off half the hammer head, drop a few vampire blood drops, now it is a holy symbol that Hel I'm sure will find acceptable.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Humanist View Post
    Who would have guessed that Tarquin had such a dirty mind?
    ...Please tell me that’s sarcasm.

9. - Top - End - #9

BlackDragon

Ah, OK, I missed that bit.

Having said that--all the vampires we're currently seeing are ex-members of the Cult of Stone, right? Since they didn't have a deity, would they have had a holy symbol to start with? And I guess it's up to Hel what makes a valid divine symbol for her worship--maybe she considers the vampiric body itself to be a sign of faith!
    Last edited by factotum; 2019-03-22 at 10:11 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Blue robed Vampire’s host served Thor. And if the Creed of the Stone did not require a holy symbol I wonder why each of its member carries a lump of rock as a necklace.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

11. - Top - End - #11

Regardless of deity or lack thereof, no one can cast a spell that requires a divine focus without a divine focus.

(Note that some spells require a divine focus for one class but not for another--notably when they're on both the cleric and wizard/sorcerer lists--but no spell requires a divine focus for one cleric but not another.)

12. - Top - End - #12

Complete Champion had a cantrip (orison) that allows a cleric to summon up a divine focus- presumably for these sorts of situations.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

For me as a non-player, this clarifies why Redcloak took the time to go get his backup holy symbol in the obviously-urgent situation of O-Chul and Darth V in the tower.
    This signature was written by me, Aveline, to indicate that this message was written by me, Aveline.

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by woweedd View Post
    ...Please tell me that’s sarcasm.
    Actually I am not surprised that Tarquin thinks about sex a lot. However I did think he was too clever and sophisticated to make such a crude joke. I really should put this in the things I didn't notice but it sort of feels like I did not legitimately discover it.

Also if this digression from the OP's original question continues, then "Holy Symbol" will start to become a euphemism.
    Last edited by Mad Humanist; 2019-03-22 at 11:39 AM.
    Ever wondered how many games are mentioned in the comic? I have listed them all in a geeklist: https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/2...es-order-stick

15. - Top - End - #15
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Elan's interpretation of a holy symbol: (image link)
    This signature was written by me, Aveline, to indicate that this message was written by me, Aveline.

16. - Top - End - #16

However I did think he was too clever and sophisticated to make such a crude joke.
    He had to be interrupted to stop him from commenting directly on his son's girlfriend's breasts immediately after he was introduced.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    He had to be interrupted to stop him from commenting directly on his son's girlfriend's breasts immediately after he was introduced.
    Not to mention the alacrity with which he adopts "wash the gorilla" or something along those lines as an euphemism for sex.

Grey Wolf
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Since Hel can only have undead clerics, her holy symbol will always be an undead (i.e. a darkened, desecrated) version of the symbol its cleric used in life.
    Each one of us, alone, is but a drop in the sea
    Our powers pale compared with the great heroes
    Our battles don’t hit theheadlines or shake the earth
    But they are few, can’t be everywhere, and we, many
    So, when the world or universe needs saving, they come
    But when people needs saving, we are the ones to appear
    We're underdogs, but we rise up to the challenge to be heroes.
    (Wishing Joe, a low-powered superhero)

"I really like the Geek Math'ology we do here"

19. - Top - End - #19

On second though, countering myself, I'm now not convinced that they have actually cast any spells that do require a divine focus. Symbol of Death doesn't. Dispel Magic doesn't. I can't recall off the top of my head all of the spells the vampire clerics used.

Oh wait, Durkon used Righteous Might, right? That needs a DF.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Indeed. On the other hand, it is usually easy to desecrate a holy symbol of another religion to make it acceptable to your own. Usually, by breaking it or defiling it or both - say, take Thor's symbol, brake off half the hammer head, drop a few vampire blood drops, now it is a holy symbol that Hel I'm sure will find acceptable.

Grey Wolf
    Hard to say how things are ruled in the OotS-verse, but personally I'd rule against that in my games. A holy symbol, to me, should be specific to the god granting the powers, and not just a desecration of an opponent's symbol. It's more about representing the god specifically than pleasing him, and there's nothing about a descecrated rock that screams "Hel".
    Attention LotR fans
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Not to mention the alacrity with which he adopts "wash the gorilla" or something along those lines as an euphemism for sex.

Grey Wolf
    Also, he’s a rapist.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Hard to say how things are ruled in the OotS-verse, but personally I'd rule against that in my games. A holy symbol, to me, should be specific to the god granting the powers, and not just a desecration of an opponent's symbol. It's more about representing the god specifically than pleasing him, and there's nothing about a descecrated rock that screams "Hel".
    Note that all clerics of thor-turned-vampire-thralls have a black gem in their holy symbol, as opposed to the blue ones that Minrah, Tinna, Rogo, High Priestess Rubyrock, and Brother Sandstone use.

They're desecrated for hel, thanks to their dark energy and servitude to her (Durkon's immediately changed back when he was turned, and as it seems to be, the other clerics' did as well).

Presumably, the rocks that the Creed Of Stone vampire clerics use are similarly corrupted. This is why there's no question of their former gods/rocks of worship stopping to decide to not give them spells for the day.

The holy symbol is the link between the cleric and the god- So in lieu of having to go grab half a dozen Hel-specific symbols (uncommon, considering no one really worships her), her vampires instantly change their (gem)stone to be corrupted in her name.

It's representing her in the way that in corrupting the clerics' holy symbols symbolizes her gaining power over all as she welcomes in all the dwarf souls to power her throughout the next world's tenure.
    Last edited by Gluteus_Maximus; 2019-03-22 at 01:31 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Requilac View Post
    Wow, i can’t believe it, WotC actually made the rules compatible for a situation in which an ape demon is leaping into the air to knock a vampire out of a Poylmorphed T-rex’s jaws who is flying 120 feet above the ground.
    Amazing Avatar by Smutmulch

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by woweedd View Post
    Also, he’s a rapist.
    Well, yes, but while "classy" and "rapist" are not mutually exclusive categories, they are also not particularly correlated. He is also a murderer, after all. And a massive egomaniacal, self-interested, egotistic, egoistic, selfish, self-seeking, self-regarding, self-absorbed, self-obsessed, self-loving, narcissistic, vain, conceited, proud, self-important a-hole. All of which can include both classy and crude individuals.

Grey Wolf

23. - Top - End - #23

I think the phrase you're looking for is "sexist, egotistical, lying, hypocritical bigot".

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Well, yes, but while "classy" and "rapist" are not mutually exclusive categories, they are also not particularly correlated. He is also a murderer, after all. And a massive egomaniacal, self-interested, egotistic, egoistic, selfish, self-seeking, self-regarding, self-absorbed, self-obsessed, self-loving, narcissistic, vain, conceited, proud, self-important a-hole. All of which can include both classy and crude individuals.

Grey Wolf
    And he never once reported to the Redudancy Bureau of Redudancy, the fiend!
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2019-03-22 at 02:05 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Grey Wolf
    And now I'm thinking of some of those RPG systens, like Numenera, where adjectives define some of the character's statistics.
    Last edited by D.One; 2019-03-22 at 03:12 PM.
    Each one of us, alone, is but a drop in the sea
    Our powers pale compared with the great heroes
    Our battles don’t hit theheadlines or shake the earth
    But they are few, can’t be everywhere, and we, many
    So, when the world or universe needs saving, they come
    But when people needs saving, we are the ones to appear
    We're underdogs, but we rise up to the challenge to be heroes.
    (Wishing Joe, a low-powered superhero)

"I really like the Geek Math'ology we do here"

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post

Grey Wolf
    And don't forget calling a succubus a booby trap or reminiscing about his sexploits in the middle of a battle.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Grey Wolf
    You forgot "...with delusions of grandeur" on the list.

- M
    No matter where you go...there you are!

Holhokki Tapio - GitP Blood Bowl New Era Season I Champion
    Togashi Ishi - Betrayal at the White Temple
    Da Monsters of Da Midden - GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Season V-VI-VII

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Actually I am not surprised that Tarquin thinks about sex a lot.
    Also, given that several of his many wives seemed to have been political nobodies, he probably married them for the sex rather than for politics or money.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by D.One View Post
    And now I'm thinking of some of those RPG systens, like Numenera, where adjectives define some of the character's statistics.
    Yeah, I did as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Who could ever forget about giving their pet orangutang a bath?
    Quote Originally Posted by ijuinkun View Post
    Also, given that several of his many wives seemed to have been political nobodies, he probably married them for the sex rather than for politics or money.
    I am bleeding due to how hard I have to bite my tongue to avoid an RL politics observation. Not your fault. *heads off to get alcohol, swabs, and such*
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2019-03-25 at 09:36 AM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

On topic: I think a good point about the holy symbols, but probably (as noted) easy to desecrate one. I can also see an evil god accepting other holy symbols as part of their own, when twisted against the original cleric, sorta like a trickster god's cleric might use another god's to deceive about who they really serve. Not sure on the RAW for a given setting for those things, but seems cool and decent for the comic.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    I think the phrase you're looking for is "sexist, egotistical, lying, hypocritical bigot".
    Has he displayed hypocrisy?

He seems pretty straight-forward in his exploits, when not actively deceiving the country he's currently serving (well, controlling and pretending to serve) or conquering. While I suppose that is hypocrisy in the sense of pretending to be a servant while actually being the ruler, he's fairly straight about what he's doing to folk who matter narratively (which, to him, is folk who matter.)