New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default PFS Legal Question: Are Muleback Cords of Resist legal for PFS?

Basically, I'm trying to solve an encumbrance problem as well as a saving throw problem with one item. I know that if you've done a specific Chronicle that has these Muleback Cords of Resist as a reward available for purchase, then they're legal. Of course, I haven't done that scenario and I have no idea which scenario that is. If anyone can let me know which Scenario rewards the Muleback Cords of Resist, that would be very helpful.

My other question is this: I'm also trying to find the PFS rule that specifically says that combined magic items are not legal (assuming that's the actual rule) because I haven't been able to find it yet.

I'm basically trying to find out if I can purchase Muleback Cords of Resist with sufficient Fame/Prestige if I haven't done the chronicle that specifically awards them.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: PFS Legal Question: Are Muleback Cords of Resist legal for PFS?

PFS is limited to printed items. The rules for combining said items are not legal for play in PFS.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

WHat exactly IS your encumberance problem?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

RangerGuy

You might not find an explicit rule 'cause PFS works only with printed material. You will find Lesser Circlet of Persuasion, Elven Shroud (Cloak of Resistance + Cloak of Elvenkind) and Muleback Cords of Resistance but they're print in Chronicle Sheets.

I can tell you it's from Season 9 and Tier 1-5. And I am saying too much.
    But the strong man is stronger when alone.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Halfling in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

PFS (as someone else stated) effectively limits you to what is in the books. No customs or combined, EXCEPT where it appears on chronicle sheets.

Like the Holy Avenger DAGGER, or the versatile metamagic rod, or the muleback cords of resistance.
    Signature goes here, something something witty?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Yeah, I've confirmed that you can't combine items under PFS rules. To answer Ngilop's question, basically I was at the limit of my 12 Strength encumbrance and had to find a way to keep going over the 43 pound Light encumbrance with a 30 pound +1 Breastplate, a 5 pound Handy Haversack, a 2.5 pound Darkwood Buckler and an 8 pound morningstar. I figured getting Muleback Cords of Resistance would solve the problem of encumbrance and getting a shoulder slot item that would give resistances since I couldn't wear Muleback Cords and a Cloak of Resistance in the same slot.

Then I realized that I had enough gold to purchase a +3 mithral breastplate (which weighs only 15 pounds), which solved the encumbrance problem (which freed up space for more items, especially the Cloak of Resist) and also solving the problem of upgrading my armor and AC.

Sometimes, the simplest solutions are the best.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

that's good you found an alternative.

I was going to just mention maybe have ant haul cast on you once a day.

Being medium encumbered isn't that bad. I think 75% of the time or so all my characters have been medium encumbered. Well, the ones that wear armor.

I have found the why behind the what is normally more important than just the what, hence my question.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

So, you should have been suffering all of the penalties of Medium encumbrance (or worse) already because you were wearing a (non-mithral) breastplate... so why did you need to get down to light encumbrance?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Firebug View Post
    So, you should have been suffering all of the penalties of Medium encumbrance (or worse) already because you were wearing a (non-mithral) breastplate... so why did you need to get down to light encumbrance?
    In point of fact, I wasn't suffering from medium encumbrance, but I was about to. I was at the limit of light encumbrance but when I switched a few items around as I got a bit more gold to buy new items, I had to switch out my 8 pound morningstar to a lighter starknife to stay within Light encumbrance. And I just jumped from 3rd Level to 9th Level as a result of all that sweet, sweet pregen XP I had saved from playing 4th level pregen characters over the past couple of months, not to mention the 30,000 gp that came along with the XP. (Playing under Pathfinder Society rules has its advantages, that's for sure.)

My cleric is only my second character (my first is a swashbuckler who pretty much has to stay at Light encumbrance for all the obvious reasons) and I'm new to the d20 system as well as the Pathfinder/D&D game(s) in general, so I'm still unfamiliar with the encumbrance rules and whether or not medium (or heavy) encumbrance is all that consequential for certain classes. From what I know so far, medium encumbrance is not all that debilitating for something like a cleric, though the exact effects of such escape me at the moment. All the same, my preference was to stay in light encumbrance if I could and avoid any issues, hence my post here.

Anyway, thanks for your help, guys.