New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ghost in the Playground

Default Dead Wizards Society

There's an old book written by a collection of fools that states that complex systems create complex problems. Problems of course, being a rather academic word for evil. This book's claim was correct when applied to a broad number of worlds, times and peoples. No greater example existed than in the world of Aria.

Aria, like many worlds, was one of complex systems, both sentient and non. There were biological systems, governing systems, and of course, systems of magic. Magic existed in the sky surrounding the world, and in the very earth its people walked on. The magic of the sky was that of order, light, and justice. The magic of the earth was wild, chaotic and dark.

Of course, there was more than just sky and earth magic, but it was these two that shaped the boundaries of this world...

But this isn't a story about the magical or biological boundaries of Aria. No, this is a story about its people. For you see, many ages had passed, and through these ages the people of Aria learned to live with, and even harness, the magic that flowed through their world. And as time went on, those who learned and studied the ways of magic became far, far more powerful than kings or their generals.

And as such things go, these groups of powerful magic-users became institutions unto themselves, rivaling kingdoms and empires in strength. Those that were born into such orders and families grew up in wealth and secret knowledge. Those that didn't...well, they tried their best.

By the year of the Olde Calendar 5534, things were rather bleak on Aria. For what kingdom could stand up to mages, wizards and sorcerers? And which of these magic-users would share their knowledge with anyone but their own? None, for so twisted and paranoid had the many magical orders grown, that all were a weaver's thread away from jumping down each other's throats. And such a war would be terrible thing for those caught in it...

Yes, it is indeed a bleak time for anyone who was not born lucky enough to be a member of a magical order or society. And yet, the kingdoms and empires do plot and scheme to usurp the powerful leeches that prey on their kingdoms. One such kingdom is Ghuul.

Ghuul is as gray and dreary a land as its name would imply. But its people were hardy, none more so than Isaac Rufus. And Isaac was a very important man. Not all that remarkable looks-wise, but he had a rather interesting ability. Isaac Rufus was perhaps the only man in Aria, throughout its many, many ages, who was simply unaffected by magic.

No spell cast, no incantation uttered, could move a hair on his head. In fact, those most powerful enchanted weapon would do no more damage to Isaac than a regular weapon. Which was to say, quite a lot. For Isaac was susceptible to a weapon, be it sharp or blunt.

But it was not weapons that were afflicting Aria, or the kingdom of Ghuul. No, that would be magic-users, and as far as the King was concerned, Isaac Rufus was the greatest warrior in all of the world.

Now, Isaac might disagree. But he had no choice. Accident had led to his discovery by the king, and now fate would run its course. Let's go check in on him now...

Isaac Rufus stands in the middle of a large hall. The walls are draped in banners and tapestries, and pyres of coals keep the stones warm. The doors at the far end of the hall open, and King Utan of Ghuul enters with his advisers. Several robed people accompany him.

The king opens his arms wide as he approaches."Isaac my boy! How good to see you!"

Isaac bows slightly, but the king motions for him to straighten up. "It is good to see you as well my king"

The king beams, turning and presenting several robed people behind him. "Behold, I told you that you shall not have to travel alone, and thus, I have delivered on this promise! For I have been training our own magic-users in secret, with any scraps we could find!"

Isaac looks over the magic users, curious. "My lord, are you sure that's wise? No doubt the magical orders will be powerful,"

The king dismisses the notion with a wave"Oh no doubt they'll drop like flies. But they'll give their lives protecting you, and there's plenty more were that came from!"

Isaac swallows, unsure of the situation "Very well my king,"

"Have you given any thought to where you are going? It is time we brought the magical orders in our land to heel!"

Please vote on the location you would like to travel

[] Go to the Tower of the Silent Mages
    [] Go to the Wizard City of the Red Sorcerers
    [] Go to the Death Pits of Nhurum

Welcome to Dead Wizards Society, the game of fast-paced, high-causality combat! Interested players choose a type of a wizard to be. Types can be anything you want! If you can think of it, you can be it. A fire mage, a blood wizard, a sorcerer of iron. Having said that, keep it slightly serious.

Once you've voted on the location and made your choice in magic, the game begins! Each turn will feature our hero Isaac Rufus visiting some wizard's to kick their ass and stop their evil legacies. Players roll 1d100 each turn to determine their chances of survival. The GM rolls a 1d100 as well, and if the player rolls higher than the GM, they survive the round!

Players who survive three rounds in a row get to upgrade their magic user, but be warned, you're going to lose a lot of young wizard adepts on the way! There will be turns were all players are wiped out!

If you wish to join, vote on the location, chose your magic type, and post your 1d100 roll all in one response. We'll begin once we have enough players.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Dead Wizards Society

Well this is an amusing idea for a game, but I don't think dice rolls work in this part of the forum so you may need to move it somewhere else. Or just ask an admin if they can/will change that.
    To test: [roll]1d100[/roll]
    Edit: Yeah, rolls don't work here.

the Death Pits of Nhurum sounds fun.
    And I'll go for a..... spider mage.
    Last edited by Ramsus; 2019-04-07 at 05:37 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Perhaps make a dice rolling thread.

Yes, let us die in the death pits. I shall be a warlock of weather.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Sounds like fun. Might go with a dreamer type caster.
    [] Go to the Death Pits of Nhurum
    Last edited by Extrail; 2019-04-11 at 08:49 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

I vote for the Tower of Silent Mages. And I will be a Mind Mage.