New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 50 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212237 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: MitD XIII: Learning is happening

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    That one, I confess I never heard of.
    Perry Bible Fellowship. As Aveline says, it's on the mature side; it's often very dark, but rings pure and true when it is. (Probably my favorite example of such is "An End to Gopher Trouble," although "Better Luck" is pretty great as well.)

2. - Top - End - #332
    Bugbear in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    Perry Bible Fellowship. As Aveline says, it's on the mature side; it's often very dark, but rings pure and true when it is. (Probably my favorite example of such is "An End to Gopher Trouble," although "Better Luck" is pretty great as well.)
    Thanks for sharing; those are both funny. Is it weird to say that the gopher's face in the first one really cracked me up?

3. - Top - End - #333
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Sounds like someone needs more SMBC in their lives.
    This is an almost universal truth, to be honest. Also, I had not heard of PBF, but after looking at Ruck’s links I’ll definitely add it to my list of webcomics.

Peelee’s Lotsey

4. - Top - End - #334
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
    The uvuudaum has eyes. Look at the image on p225 of the ELH: there's a pale blue eye behind the head-spike. Much like a bird with a closed beak, really.

Not sure I'm buying it but I'll give it the benefit of the doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Crusher View Post
    bullhonkey!
    You, sir, are my new hero. Can I worship you from the shadows until it's time to overthrow Pelee as the thread overthrowing plotter?
    Pretending to be one of Peelee's ninja lotsey under Darth Paul.
    Currently busy getting crushed.

Will switch allegiance for awesome quotes.

5. - Top - End - #335
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Jineon View Post
    Can I worship you from the shadows until it's time to overthrow Pelee as the thread overthrowing plotter?
    Your initiative pleases me. I will be sad to see your uprising crushed by my lotseys. I'll still throw an ice cream party for them, of course, but still.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

6. - Top - End - #336
    Titan in the Playground

You, sir, are my new hero. Can I worship you from the shadows until it's time to overthrow Pelee as the thread overthrowing plotter?
    Your initiative pleases me. I will be sad to see your uprising crushed by my lotseys. I'll still throw an ice cream party for them, of course, but still.
    Wait, who's that Pelee? Is it like an inferior attempt to clone Peelee? Or an attempt to clone an inferior Peelee? Joruus at least had a critical role in showing-rather-than-telling Thrawn's character; Peelee is already enough of a character
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

7. - Top - End - #337

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    Wait, who's that Pelee? Is it like an inferior attempt to clone Peelee? Or an attempt to clone an inferior Peelee?
    I like to think of "Pelee" as a sound effect used in an attempt to summon the Peelee.

8. - Top - End - #338

ElfWarriorGuy

Of course! Always delighted to have another worshiper, and all I ask is $19.99/month for my newsletter.

Edit -

I like to think of "Pelee" as a sound effect used in an attempt to summon the Peelee.
    This reminds me of my favorite depiction of summoning Cthulhu-esque monsters:

- If Cthulhu can be summoned by humans who are so far beneath it, why can’t humans be summoned by ants?

Well if a bunch of ants formed a circle in my house I’d certainly notice, try to figure out where they’d all come from, and possibly wreak destruction there. That’s why knowing and correctly pronouncing the true name is so important to the ritual. Imagine how impossible it would be to not go take a look if the circle of ants started chanting your name.

And they’re like, you can’t leave because we drew a line made of tiny crystals - now you have to do us a favor. And you’re like, let’s just see where this goes “yup, you got me… what’s the favor?”

and usually the favor is like, “kill this one ant for us” or “give me a pile of sugar” and you’re like… okay? and you do, because why not, it isn’t hard for you and boy is this going to be a ****ing story to tell, these ****ing ants chanting your name and wanting a spoonful of sugar or whatever.

And SOMEtimes you get asked for things you can’t really do, one of them, she’s like, “I love this ant but she won’t pay any attention to me, make me important to her” and you’re like… um? how? So you just kill every ant in the colony except the two of them, ta-da! problem solved! and the first ant is like *horrified whisper* “what have I done”
    Last edited by Crusher; 2019-04-16 at 01:23 PM.
    "You are what you do. Choose again and change." - Miles Vorkosigan

9. - Top - End - #339
    Ogre in the Playground

The correct answer when talking webcomics that are not OOTS is PBF.
    Hm. How about either Gunnerkrigg Court or Paranatural for the fantasyish area? OotS is off the table due to everyone here actually reading it.
    I started reading webcomics when I was fairly young (like middle school I think?) and so I have a lot of light hearted things on my list.

And they’re like, you can’t leave because we drew a line made of tiny crystals - now you have to do us a favor. And you’re like, let’s just see where this goes “yup, you got me… what’s the favor?”

and usually the favor is like, “kill this one ant for us” or “give me a pile of sugar” and you’re like… okay? and you do, because why not, it isn’t hard for you and boy is this going to be a ****ing story to tell, these ****ing ants chanting your name and wanting a spoonful of sugar or whatever.
    FORMICIDE FOR THE ANT GOD
    SUGAR FOR THE SUGAR GOD
    Last edited by Squire Doodad; 2019-04-16 at 03:34 PM.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

10. - Top - End - #340
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    Wait, who's that Pelee? Is it like an inferior attempt to clone Peelee? Or an attempt to clone an inferior Peelee? Joruus at least had a critical role in showing-rather-than-telling Thrawn's character; Peelee is already enough of a character
    It is, of course, an attempt to disguise my attempt at overthrowing the one true silver dragon and not at all a failure of my part at basic copy-pasting or spelling.

This reminds me of my favorite depiction of summoning Cthulhu-esque monsters:

- If Cthulhu can be summoned by humans who are so far beneath it, why can’t humans be summoned by ants?

Well if a bunch of ants formed a circle in my house I’d certainly notice, try to figure out where they’d all come from, and possibly wreak destruction there. That’s why knowing and correctly pronouncing the true name is so important to the ritual. Imagine how impossible it would be to not go take a look if the circle of ants started chanting your name.

And SOMEtimes you get asked for things you can’t really do, one of them, she’s like, “I love this ant but she won’t pay any attention to me, make me important to her” and you’re like… um? how? So you just kill every ant in the colony except the two of them, ta-da! problem solved! and the first ant is like *horrified whisper* “what have I done”
    Thanks for reinforcing my belief in you.

11. - Top - End - #341
    Titan in the Playground

Did you retype a Tumblr screencap, there, or did you have a link to the original to copypaste? I've seen that around but only as screencaps, and searching for specific Tumblr posts is unreliable at best.

Though I think it's this one, unless that's a plagiarism of the original.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

12. - Top - End - #342

AssassinGuy

Wait... there was crushing to be done? Did I miss it?

But if I'm following this correctly, then I have to crush Crusher. So it's a Crusher crushing?

And Jineon, who lists themselves as a lotsey ninja under me, is also worshiping Crusher from the shadows, so I have not one, but two uprisings to crush. Truly, this will be a test of my skills and awesomeness.
    The simplest solution would be to take over everything for myself, but then ruling would be so much work. I prefer to be the power behind the throne. Like Kissinger.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Also, everything Darth Paul just said.
    Namer Of MitD Threads
    Charter Member and Head Ninja of Peelee's Lotsey Ninjas
    [furiously scribbles notes on how Darth Paul is the MitD]

13. - Top - End - #343

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Did you retype a Tumblr screencap, there, or did you have a link to the original to copypaste? I've seen that around but only as screencaps, and searching for specific Tumblr posts is unreliable at best.

Though I think it's this one, unless that's a plagiarism of the original.
    Oh, I copy-pasted it off something a friend posted. I knew they didn't write it, but they also didn't have a link to where it came from so I figured I'd just leave it vague rather than imply it came from somewhere specific.

14. - Top - End - #344

AssassinGuy

And I enjoyed it so much that I copy-pasted it over to a new thread on Agnostic.com, because if any crowd can appreciate ants worshiping humans, it would be them.
    Jineon; the secret revolution continues. The password is Swordfish.
    Last edited by Darth Paul; 2019-04-17 at 11:41 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Also, everything Darth Paul just said.
    Namer Of MitD Threads
    Charter Member and Head Ninja of Peelee's Lotsey Ninjas
    [furiously scribbles notes on how Darth Paul is the MitD]

15. - Top - End - #345
    Ogre in the Playground

Is there an in-universe explanation for why MitD's eyes can be seen through the darkness even if its magical? Or do they just work like that because reasons?

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

-Squire Doodad

16. - Top - End - #346
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    Is there an in-universe explanation for why MitD's eyes can be seen through the darkness even if its magical? Or do they just work like that because reasons?
    The D&D RAW on when you are standing in a dark square is that you can see out of it (because by the rules, you can pick any of the corners to "see" from) even when others cannot see into those same shadows.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

17. - Top - End - #347
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    My theory is that we don't see his eyes at all. The things we see are only for us to know where he's looking at (or not if he's sleeping) and what are his current emotions. Like any other drawn media in pitch black, the eyes are always visible. Imagine if there was only an umbrella floating above a dark cloud; boring as hell and doesn't convey anything. We need to see his eyes to emotionally connect with MitD.
    Profile picture by Caerulea.

18. - Top - End - #348

ElfWarriorGuy

I was perusing some obscure extra-planar creatures (none a good fit), when I suddenly had a thought:

We’ve definitely never seen a demon or whatever teleport another creature, right?

I didn’t think so, but it occurred to me that I’d always assumed it was a constraint but I’d never actually checked.

19. - Top - End - #349
    Dwarf in the Playground

I was perusing some obscure extra-planar creatures (none a good fit), when I suddenly had a thought:

We’ve definitely never seen a demon or whatever teleport another creature, right?

I didn’t think so, but it occurred to me that I’d always assumed it was a constraint but I’d never actually checked.
    it was explained with quarr at least that demons (or its just the imp in particular) cannot teleport living matter (reason why the three fiends told varsuvius to kill himself so quarr teleported V head to his master)

We have seen Sabine use planar travel, thou but its not very precise.

20. - Top - End - #350

Quote Originally Posted by Vendanna View Post
    it was explained with quarr at least that demons (or its just the imp in particular) cannot teleport living matter (reason why the three fiends told varsuvius to kill himself so quarr teleported V head to his master)
    Nah, it was a weight limit. All devil teleport are 50 on object only, but let's ignore that for the moment so I can be right.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-04-20 at 07:11 PM.

21. - Top - End - #351
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vendanna View Post

We have seen Sabine use planar travel, thou but its not very precise.
    Qarr couldn't teleport more than 50 lbs. Vaarsuvius' entire body presumably weighs more than that.

EDIT: Damn, ohylaxtrt'd.
    Last edited by Ruck; 2019-04-20 at 08:24 PM.

22. - Top - End - #352
    Ogre in the Playground

Qarr couldn't teleport more than 50 lbs. Vaarsuvius' entire body presumably weighs more than that.

EDIT: Damn, ohylaxtrt'd.
    Ah, but both of the issues are present:
    Qarr can't teleport more than 50 lbs of unliving matter
    * shades *
    * gets punched *
    Okay fine its a moot point since neither condition could be reliably met.

Incidentally, a question arises: what could the ABD do to actually hide themselves from V forever? I mean, the ABD has some pretty impressive spellcasting skills for her kind (which is already pretty high), but she isn't epic and V spent several months mastering increasingly advanced scrying skills. Surely V could find her? I don't know what V could do to go there or to kill her, but V could conceivably have do so, right?
    Last edited by Squire Doodad; 2019-04-20 at 09:57 PM.

-Squire Doodad

23. - Top - End - #353
    Colossus in the Playground

If her plan was to force Vaarsuvius to look for three True Resurrections to get their family back alive, traumatized by having died horribly, make Vaarsuvius hunt her down on another plane of existence for a battle before they could get their children back, and make Vaarsuvius have to think the situation through in their trance-deprived state to realize that they could ever get their children back, that was plenty cruel enough.

24. - Top - End - #354
    Ogre in the Playground

If her plan was to force Vaarsuvius to look for three True Resurrections to get their family back alive, traumatized by having died horribly, make Vaarsuvius hunt her down on another plane of existence for a battle before they could get their children back, and make Vaarsuvius have to think the situation through in their trance-deprived state to realize that they could ever get their children back, that was plenty cruel enough.
    ...ah.
    Well then.

-Squire Doodad

25. - Top - End - #355
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

I doubt her plan included getting killed by V as a contingency at any point. Like many dragons, she was probably very confident in her own abilities and sure that she could crush V anytime she wanted if she really wanted to. Since death was not supposed to be the punishment, but rather the loss of their children, my bet is that, should V have found her back, she would simply have moved to yet another plane, much like she did the first time.
    Last edited by Jineon; 2019-04-21 at 10:33 AM.

26. - Top - End - #356
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

I doubt her plan included getting killed by V as a contingency at any point. Like many dragons, she was probably very confident in her own abilities and sure that she could crush V anytime she wanted if she really wanted to. Since death was not supposed to be the punishment, but rather the loss of their children, my bet is that, should V have found her back, she would simply have moved to yet another plane, much like she did the first time.
    Also, the V she observed was failing at finding the people she was looking for on the same plane of existence. Given how unreliable targeting a specific destination in another plane apparently is, she was probably pretty confident. Throw in a contingency spell to plane shift and she probably hide for a while.

27. - Top - End - #357
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Throknor View Post
    Also, the V she observed was failing at finding the people she was looking for on the same plane of existence. Given how unreliable targeting a specific destination in another plane apparently is, she was probably pretty confident. Throw in a contingency spell to plane shift and she probably hide for a while.
    Turns out the Contingency spell she used made it so it warped her to V's location.
    Whoooooooooooooooooooooops

-Squire Doodad

28. - Top - End - #358
    Halfling in the Playground

Kobold

Well im in bed nursing a killer fever, so I decided to reread some parts of the comic. I noticed that, in the strip where Redcloak explains who the 3 skeletons are (431, I have no idea how to link with my phone) MitD, recognizes the spells the huecuva casts as divine spells.
    I know it doesnt add much to anything, but do the prefered candidates so far have a high spellcraft check? Can a protean (which I dislike as an option, mostly out of a gut feeling) achieve that somehow?

29. - Top - End - #359
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Pampukin View Post
    but do the prefered candidates so far have a high spellcraft check?
    Yes, the Uvuudaum has Spellcraft +56 and Knowledge (Religion) +52. That said, the Monster has been around Redcloak for a long time.

30. - Top - End - #360
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
    That said, the Monster has been around Redcloak for a long time.
    Relevance?