New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: White Cloud City OOC

Aaaaand bonus damage: (2d4+9)[14]
    With your every step, these grand adventures shall grow more distant and faint. And there may come a day when you forget the faces and voices of those you have met along the way. On that day, I bid you remember this... That no matter how far your journey may take you, you stand where you stand by virtue of the road you walked to get there.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ogre in the Playground

Hanyangi's AoO: (1d20+12)[23]
    With your every step, these grand adventures shall grow more distant and faint. And there may come a day when you forget the faces and voices of those you have met along the way. On that day, I bid you remember this... That no matter how far your journey may take you, you stand where you stand by virtue of the road you walked to get there.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ogre in the Playground

Round 3
    Lash provoked an AoO on his turn and was attacked for 18 damage.
    Adarata may make an immediate AoO from Nezu

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ogre in the Playground

Pack Lord Fort DC 20 vs Sting of the Asp: (1d20+9)[26] Resist; -1 Str
    Last edited by Dorni; 2019-11-28 at 10:18 AM.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ogre in the Playground

Congratulations everyone, this is the end of the first adventure! I apologize to everyone for my general absence this past month. Sparing the details, the illness I had over christmas turned out to be a case of bronchitis and it took longer than expected to get over it. I'm finally back to being healthy again, so its past time I picked up this game.

With the end of the adventure, now is the time I'd like to ask you all for feedback. It can be any thoughts you care to share - be it on rules, characters you liked or didn't like, or even things you'd like to see more (or less) of. You can post your feedback here, on discord, or send it to me as a PM/DM, however you feel most comfortable.

The next adventure will take place after a 7 month time skip.

All characters advance to level 4. Between the spoils from this adventure and the time skip, characters gain 3420gp over the intervening time. Additionally, all players gain 3 Social Downtime Actions and 3 Training Downtime Actions. Please refer to this post for more information about Downtime Actions and what can be done with them.

Please take this time to level up your characters and ask any questions. If you have any interest in doing side scenes with each other (or with NPCs) that take place during the time skip before the start of the next adventure proper, you are more than welcome to do so.
    Last edited by Dorni; 2020-01-13 at 11:25 PM.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ogre in the Playground

In response to Discord:

Relationship Building within the Party [Social, Indefinite]: Bluff, Diplomacy, Intimidate, or level check DC 10. 1 Additional success for every +5 by which you exceed the DC. Choose a party member with which to build your relationship. Your closeness to the PC enables you to pull off feats of teamwork. Successes may be spent on the following:
    • Share Skills - 1 success; You have given each other pointers in a skill you possess. You may use your ally's skill bonus in place of a your own for a single check. The ally must agree to allow this to occur, as they may choose to share some skills but not others
    • Inspired Teamwork - 2 successes; You may share a [Teamwork] feat that you or your ally possesses. For the duration of the current encounter you may treat yourself or your ally as if you possessed a [Teamwork] feat that either of you already possess.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

At Level 4, swapping Sun Dips Low for Sweeping Tail.

Training Action 1: Swap Discouraging Strike for Disabling Strike.
    Training Action 2: Swap Stick and Move for Flick of the Wrist.
    Training Action 3+4: Learn Flash Kick.

Social Action 1: Relationship Building with Tsugiharu (1d20+4)[17].
    Social Action 2+3: Sacrificed for a fourth training action.

Spending 2,400 gold on Speedster's Footwraps, Least. The item descriptions are in my first page post.

Level up should be done!

Spoiler: Feedback
    Show
    I really liked this adventure. Very used to episodic PbP by now, so your ability to have us go through a whole bunch of combats without it getting dull was quite impressive. Good pacing with the rising danger of the monsters, a difficulty dip at the end with the big fight outside the nest, and then up to the danger of the final monster. The abilities it had to make it work as a solo were good, and demonstrated that you know what you're doing when it comes to 3.5. Very cool.

Conversely, I did feel like we would drag sometimes when in conversation, or general cool-down scenes. You would say on Discord that you were about to move us along, but the following post would still leave us in the same position - maybe with more information now, but information we could have quickly gotten OOC anyway. Some of those scenes had more rounds than necessary, I think. I'm not saying I want more combat and less talking, it was more a case of like, don't be afraid to take the reins and keep things moving. Or better, if it's time to post IC and the PCs have 60% of a plan, ask us for the other 40% on discord.
    Last edited by manwithaplan; 2020-01-14 at 02:20 AM.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Downtimes!

Training #1: Practical Studies.
    Training #2: Lore Studies.
    Training #3: Lore Studies.

Social #1: Relationship Building with Adarata, Level DC 10 (1d20+4)[21]. Three successes.
    Social #2: Relationship Building with Yumi, Level DC 10 (1d20)[11]+4 Rerolled, 16. Two successes.
    Social #3: Holding.

Spoiler: Feedback
    Show
    No complaints here, and after a single adventure I can't really tell if there's something that I want more/less of.

I have to say, though, that for a moment I doubted your sanity in making us face something dishing out an average of 80 damage per round with all NPCs paralyzed. Turns out that you managed to estimate the right diffculty for a thrilling boss fight, so...great job! It's bad for my heart, though.
    Last edited by Hyperbolic sine; 2020-01-14 at 09:09 AM.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ogre in the Playground

Relationship Building (Yumi) [Social, Indefinite]: Bluff, Diplomacy, Intimidate, or level check DC 10. 1 Additional success for every +5 by which you exceed the DC. Successes may be spent to call in favors and gain minor assistance from the NPC, or to shift the NPC's attitude toward you.

Also, could you list which skills you're investing the skill points from your downtimes in?
    Last edited by Dorni; 2020-01-14 at 08:51 AM.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Sure! Athletics and Bluff +1, Knowledge (Local, Streetwise) +1, Knowledge (Martial, Nobility) +2.

Should I keep a log somewhere?

Also, VPs reset after this, don't they? If so, I'll reroll the Yumi check because why not: (1d10+14)[16].

Finally, Social #3: Kuroda Spy Network, Stealth DC 15 (1d20+18)[23]. -4 if bonus from BotN doesn't count. Two/one success(es). Too busy with friends and girls, I guess.
    Last edited by Hyperbolic sine; 2020-01-14 at 09:12 AM.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hyperbolic sine View Post
    Should I keep a log somewhere?
    I'm not going to stop you from doing so, but just listing the change at the time you take the downtime is sufficient for me since that allows me to check your sheet and verify that its a legal change.

I'm also going to rule that bonuses from stances like BotN don't count towards Downtimes. Yes, you can have a stance up as long as you want and very few things can force you out of a stance, but it still isn't truly a permanent bonus. I also don't want people to be incentivized to hunt for stances or maneuvers that give them a bonus on their favorite Downtime action or feel locked into such stances/maneuvers if they already have them.

And yes, VPs will reset at the start of the next adventure. Use em or lose em!
    Last edited by Dorni; 2020-01-14 at 09:58 AM.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Makes sense. Then, for the records, I had one new maneuver and one switch: + Fading Strike (VM) and Weakening Venom Prana (SS), - Offensive Roll.

And I think I'll get my weapon and armour enchanted to +1, so -3000 gp.

Levelup should be complete.
    To the optimist, the glass is half-full.
    To the pessimist, the glass is half-empty.
    To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Might suffer occasional hiccups in posting rate. Apologies for the inconvenience.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Troll in the Playground

Griffon

Hooray, level ups!

For level 4:
    +2 to Charisma, bringing Shiori's Charisma up to 20.
    Swapping Guard's Oath (Eternal Guardian) for Hollow Darkness Mantra (Infinite Shore).
    Shiori gained Echoes of Steel, allowing him to gift a just-used Maneuver of his to one of his allies as a pre-readied Maneuver of their own for one minute.
    Shiori Gained his Zealot Mission! Surprising no one, Shiori chose Protection.
    Protection grants Shiori the spell-like ability Living Bastion, extending his reach by 5 feet while psionically focused. If he expends his focus, he can cut the damage of an attack done to an ally within his reach in half.
    I haven't spent my GP yet; I may just end up enchanting something.

Downtimes:

2 Training Downtimes: Advanced Martial Study to regain Guard's Oath (Eternal Guardian) (weird to do, yes, but it works out).
    1 Training Downtime: Practical Study to add 1 point each to Concentration and Perception.

1 Social Downtime: Dreamwalk (Lucid Dreaming DC 15): (1d20+9)[28] Three Successes!
    1 Social Downtime: Dreamwalk (Lucid Dreaming DC 15): (1d20+9)[13] Zero Successes.
    1 Social Downtime: Build Relationship with Hitomi (if possible). I'd like to roll Diplomacy for this, if possible: (1d20+12)[13] Welp. One success.

I have 1 VP left... I'm not sure what to do with it. I'd like to find out if Yumi has been possessed, but I think that's what the Dreamwalk successes are for.

EDIT: ...when I find out what to roll for Hitomi, can I reroll that? If not, I know where that 1 VP is going!
    Last edited by Zelphas; 2020-01-14 at 10:38 PM.
    Originally Posted by Xefas:
    "I need the Goblins in phalanx arrangement. Sky Blotters in the back! Swissles? Assume the Swizzle Stick Formation! We're going in!"
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ogre in the Playground

Relationship Building (Hitomi) [Social, Indefinite]: Bluff, Diplomacy, Intimidate, or level check DC 10. 1 Additional success for every +5 by which you exceed the DC. Your closeness to Hitmoi enables you to pull off feats of teamwork. Successes may be spent on the following:
    • Share Skills - 1 success; You have given each other pointers in a skill you possess. You may use your ally's skill bonus in place of a your own for a single check. The ally must agree to allow this to occur, as they may choose to share some skills but not others
    • Share VP - 1 success; You may spend one of your VP on Hitomi's behalf. You may use any function of VP.
    • Inspired Teamwork - 2 successes; You may share a [Teamwork] feat that you or your ally possesses. For the duration of the current encounter you may treat yourself or your ally as if you possessed a [Teamwork] feat that either of you already possess.

Yes, you can use VP to reroll downtimes
    Last edited by Dorni; 2020-01-14 at 07:47 PM.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Troll in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Dorni View Post
    Relationship Building (Hitomi) [Social, Indefinite]: Bluff, Diplomacy, Intimidate, or level check DC 10. 1 Additional success for every +5 by which you exceed the DC. Your closeness to Hitmoi enables you to pull off feats of teamwork. Successes may be spent on the following:
    • Share VP - 1 success; You may spend one of your VP on Hitomi's behalf. You may use any function of VP.

Yes, you can use VP to reroll downtimes
    All right! Hmm; I actually got one success on Hitomi even with my horrendous roll, and Dreamwalking might be more important in the long run, so I'm going to use my VP to reroll the failed Draemwalking one.

Dreamwalking Redux (Lucid Dreaming DC 15): (1d10+19)[29] Crit chance: (1d2)[2] If crits count, Four Successes! If not, three successes.
    Last edited by Zelphas; 2020-01-14 at 10:39 PM.
    "I need the Goblins in phalanx arrangement. Sky Blotters in the back! Swissles? Assume the Swizzle Stick Formation! We're going in!"
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ogre in the Playground

Unfortunately, this isn't M&M where crits give you another +5 on your total. So 3 successes.

Fighting in the Ring [Social, Indefinite]: Acrobatics, Athletics, Bluff, or Level check DC 15. White Cloud City's fighting rings are more than just a place for fighters to earn a payout, settle disputes, and build their reputations. A great many citizens from all levels of society will visit whether it be for entertainment, gambling, cheer their favorite, or to scout and recruit. A fighter can make a great many connections. Successes may be spent to influence an NPC's attitude (ex: they're a fan, or they're wary of the PC's reputation, etc), or to acquire assistance in some matter. Cost varies based on the NPC or the manner of assistance being requested.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ettin in the Playground

Just as a heads up I'm getting back from vacay and the crazy holiday rush. I'll be leveling Kotetsu and catching up tomorrow which is my first day off after coming back.
    <BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

"Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."

18. - Top - End - #198
    Troll in the Playground

Griffon

All right, I spent 2,000 GP to give a +1 bonus to Shiori's shield and his Mithral Shirt.

I also spent 5 GP to buy 5 pounds of sealing wax, which I would like to add to the list of items in Shiori's My Calm Things Complication (with GM approval).
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    I also spent 5 GP to buy 5 pounds of sealing wax, which I would like to add to the list of items in Shiori's My Calm Things Complication (with GM approval).
    Sounds fine to me

20. - Top - End - #200
    Pixie in the Playground

Mateo Alvarez AKA El Diablo Blanco/ Keiji Mutoh

Link to sheet is in discord since I don't have enough posts yet. Will Edit it in later.

Spoiler: Backstory
    Show
    Mateo was born to Gabriel and Elena Alvarez of the Vagabundo clan. Mateo grew up, like most children of clan Vagabundo, aspiring to be a Luchador. Fortunately for him his father, Gabriel, was a powerful Luchador known as El Diablo, so his future entry into their ranks seemed assured.

Unfortunately at the age of seven his family would lose their place of honor amongst the clan. Mateo’s father had gained a lust for prestige and had begun challenging other warriors from other clans for their weapons. Soon after El Diablo just started taking weapons from other warriors if they lost, even if there was no wager. This angered Clan Vagabundo and came to a head when El Diablo took the weapon from a minor noble.

Knowing that if this was not stopped Clan Vagabundo sent Luchadors after El Diablo to stop him. El Diablo defeated all of them, even going so far as to take one of the Luchadors masks. The insult to the clan was so great that the elders banished him, labeling him a rudos. A bounty within the clan was also placed on his head. One that has yet to be claimed.

Due to this, the honor of Mateo’s family name had been tarnished. Life became hard for Mateo and his mother. Commissions that had frequently come his mother’s way for tailoring dried up. For Mateo his training as a Luchador continued but only because he had shown talent for it. It wasn’t easy as and any specialized training that he might have otherwise received would now come at a cost. He swore at a young age to restore his family name and bring his father to justice.

When Mateo had finally come of age to enter the ranks of the Luchadors Mateo chose the name of El Diablo Blanco as a statement. He would restore his families honor while staying true to the ways of the Luchador. It was also a declaration that he would hunt his father down and bring an end to El Diablo.

Though he did become an apprentice Luchador no stable would accept him within the clan. He would have little to no help in his endeavors and would need to act as Agente Libre in Clan matches.

Spoiler: Personality
    Show
    Mateo, like most of clan Vagabundo, is loud and bombastic, often to the annoyance of others not of his clan. His goal to redeem his family name has made him very driven. This does cause him at times to be a little hardheaded and reckless though.

Spoiler: Clan Vagabundo
    Show
    Around 50 years ago a clan of Luchador’s found their way to the doorstep of White Cloud City. Their home city had been destroyed by demon beasts and they were forced to flee. After an arduous journey in which no few lost their lives the Luchador’s found the city. At first they were denied entry but after showing the prowress of their Luchadors against the demon beasts, the city Lord allowed them in. Since then they have continued to practice the way of Lucha and lend their skills to the city as needed.

In addition to that they have also set up their own trade companies, consisting mostly of tailors, leatherworkers, and paper mills. While their styles and use of bold color combinations hasn’t caught on to well, their consistant quality has earned them a few customers who have become intrigued by the Vagabundo’s patterns. The Clan has also has taken to participating in the colosseum on a regular basis.

Spoiler: Complications
    Show
    The Mask (Honor): Mateo holds the honor of his mask above all else. As such he won’t fight without. The only exception is if his life is in danger. If so Mateo can fight back if only to escape the confrontation or to reach his mask. Once he is out of danger he may not reenter the fight until he has put on his mask.

The Mask (Responsibility): The Mask is Mateo’s symbol as a Luchador. He must take great care to make sure it’s not damaged in battle. He must also properly clean and care for it outside of battle.

The Mask (Temper): Mateo will treat all insults to his mask as a personal insult.

El Diablo (Enemy): Mateo made a declaration when he chose his Luchador name. He will pursue his father, El Diablo, until the man is defeated and justice is met.

Clan (Prejudice): Family is looked down upon in the clan. He is not supported by the clan. He petition aid from the clan but it will usually come at a cost.

Personal code of Honor (Honor): Mateo follow’s the way of Lucha closely. He won’t attack an enemy when they are down and if the match is decided he will abide by the ruling (whether in his favor or not). If Mateo gives his word that he will do something he will follow through.

Hate of people acting dishonorably (Hatred): Does not tolerate others acting dishonorably or against their own code of honor

Recognition (Motivation): In order to regain his family honor, Mateo will seek out performing deeds worthy of praise and recognition, whether it be from his clan or from White Cloud City.

Ally of Justice (Motivation): Due to his father’s betrayal, Mateo can stand seeing villains perpetrate crimes. If he witness’s something Mateo will attempt to do something to stop whatever crime is occurring.
    Last edited by Zetion; 2023-01-29 at 08:54 PM.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ogre in the Playground

I finished going over the sheets and it looks like we're just about ready. I noticed a few things but its mostly minor.

Tsugiharu
    - Attack with Waveblade should be +9 (3 BAB + 5 Dex + 1 enchant)

Shiori
    - I didn't see Shiori's Ability Boosts listed anywhere. If I missed which stats you picked please let me know.
    - Where does the +4 armor on the shield come from? A +1 heavy shield would normally be +3 AC

Kotetsu
    - HP should be 54.
    - Looks like Hengeyokai bonus to dex and move speed only apply in hybrid or animal form
    - You still have a few available Disciplines if you want them. I count Lightless Divine Wind, Leaping Gale, and Dancing Leaf, but you have access to 6.

Keiji
    - Looks good to me

22. - Top - End - #202
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Tsugiharu
    - Attack with Waveblade should be +9 (3 BAB + 5 Dex + 1 enchant)
    Fixed, thanks. Though it looked to me all attacks were one lower, not just the waveblade.

Might suffer occasional hiccups in posting rate. Apologies for the inconvenience.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Troll in the Playground

Griffon

Shiori
    - I didn't see Shiori's Ability Boosts listed anywhere. If I missed which stats you picked please let me know.
    - Where does the +4 armor on the shield come from? A +1 heavy shield would normally be +3 AC.
    If I'm thinking of the right thing, Shiori has +2 to Charisma under "Racial Features", at the bottom center of the first page. I can't find his level 4 ability score boost anywhere, though...

He gets an extra +1 from the Feat "Focused Shield", which is specifically a +1 to his shield bonus. I can put that 1 in the Misc. tab, if you prefer.

EDIT: Looking at his Ability scores, I think I took another +2 in Charisma.

EDIT 2: Found them (with Hyperbolic's help!); +2 boost to Wisdom at level 2, +2 to Charisma at level 4. Added them to the bottom of page 1 of Shiori's sheet.
    Last edited by Zelphas; 2023-02-01 at 12:53 AM.
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #204
    Ogre in the Playground

No need, now that I know what I'm looking at Focused Shield shouldn't be an issue

25. - Top - End - #205
    Troll in the Playground

Griffon

Diplomacy (DC 15): (1d20+12)[29]

If I can take 10, ignore this.
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #206
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

K-nob DC 15: (1d20+4)[6]

Also, because I'm nosy, Sense Motive (?) (1d20+11)[24] to see if some classmate looks more personally affected (such as, if they were grieving their grandfather...).

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh yeah, we can roll that Diplomacy check here! (1d20+2)[18]
    <BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

"Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."

28. - Top - End - #208
    Pixie in the Playground

Diplomacy (1d20+6)[10]

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Hyperbolic Sine
    Show
    Your classmates run the full scale of either not feeling much grief or simply doing a good job of hiding it, but two of them stand out as more heavily affected. First, the always-cheerful Kaede is noticeably down in the wake of the news, although she tries to hide it by trying to raise her classmates' sprits. The second is Benjiro, who is more withdrawn and with a somehow shorter temper than usual. He goes hard during sparring, seemingly taking out his feelings that way.

If you want to investigate further, tell me what your approach is going to be and we can figure out which skill to roll. Alternatively, you can spend successes from your Kuroda Spy Network downtime to get the information. 1 Success for Kaede, 2 for Benjiro.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Hyperbolic Sine
    Show
    As per Discord, 3 successes spent on Kuroda Spy Network.

You share your concerns with your clansmen and the Kuroda information network doesn't fail you. In the case of Kaede the information is forthcoming almost as soon as you describe her. Kaede's true name is Ginken Sanae, and Uesugi Hoshi was indeed her grandfather. Her mother, Ginken Katsuko, was born Uesugi Katsuko. She is Uesugi Hoshi's daughter and the current City Lord Nagato's younger sister. She married into the Ginken Clan, who have long been close and loyal allies of the Uesugi. Hoshi doted on his grandchildren, so even though Kaede is of the Ginken clan she still had a relationship with her grandfather.

Benjiro is a bit more of a puzzle. His barely disguised real name, Kaiu Kenjiro, is easily ascertained. The Kaiu are one of the Great Clans. Their family motto is "We Are The Wall" and they make good on that claim as some of the city's foremost builders, engineers, and stonemasons. They maintain the city walls and are experts in fortifications. In fact, as some of the city's foremost stonemasons they've constructed significant portions of the city over the years and are major landlords. The warriors that come from the Kaiu clan are known for their incredible endurance and for favoring heavy weapons with crushing power.

What's harder to figure out is why Benjiro would be so affected by Lord Hoshi's passing. The Kaiu clan frequently butted heads with the Uesugi and as far as the Kuroda can find Benjiro wouldn't have spent any appreciable time with Lord Hoshi. With a little investigation however, it became more clear. It wasn't that he'd known Lord Hoshi personally. The Kaiu clan patriarch had in fact been one of Hoshi's fiercest rivals when the two of them were younger - a rivalry that had ended with the Kaiu patriarch's repeated defeats. However, the man hadn't resented his defeats - instead he had an immense respect for Hoshi's strength and skill. And while later as patriarch of the Kaiu he may have regularly disagreed with Hoshi's policies, the immense personal respect between the men had allowed the two to find common ground.

Benjiro's sadness may in fact be sadness at his own grandfather's obvious pain at the loss of a close and highly respected friend. But from accounts, the Kaiu patriarch regularly shared the stories of Hoshi's exploits. Its likely that Benjiro regarded Lord Hoshi, The Man without Enemies, as something of a hero.