New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Trial of character: Whiteflash

I take all the runestones of the same blue-and-white color the room glowed back to that room, regardless of size. (For now: I'm sure that's important, but one thing at a time.)

Any runestone with the same symbol as one of the runes on the wall, I put in front of the rune on the wall.

Do I have any of the right color that don't match one of the symbols on the walls?
    Last edited by whiteflash; 2020-03-04 at 04:31 AM.

2. - Top - End - #452
    Bugbear in the Playground

((No. You've already presorted all of the runes to be the correct symbol/color. You only sorted through the two piles (one in each room) of correct color/symbol combination. The result is the 36 that you now have. You have 9 of each material (there are 4 materials). Of these 9 you have 3 in each symbol (that is the correct color already). Of these 3, each is a different size.))

Laid out on the floor at the base of each wall, you have 12 objects underneath each rune. You still hold 12 objects, that match the rune on the floor.

Spoiler: dm hint for clarity
    Show

You are at the point where you just need to match sizes now.
    Last edited by Deadlykire; 2020-03-04 at 10:42 AM.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #453
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I'd figured I'd get there soon, if I hadn't already. Thanks.

I place the remaining runestones on the floor on top of the rune, just for a place to put them while I think what to do next.

Eventually, I take all the runestones that match the runes on the eastern wall, except the biggest runestones of each material, and move them out of the room and put them down next to the red runes I'd already left there.

Then I come back and take all the runes that match the rune on the northern wall, except the smallest runestones of each material, and remove them to the same place.

Any reaction so far?
    Last edited by whiteflash; 2020-03-05 at 04:39 AM.

4. - Top - End - #454

There is no reaction. However, you are left with only 4 objects against each wall.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #455
    Ogre in the Playground

The first thing I do is repeat the process for the runestones matching the rune on the floor, leaving the medium-sized runestones of each of the four materials on the rune and putting the rest in their own pile on the floor outside the room.

If that has no effect, I head over to the eastern wall, where I've left the largest runestones that match the eastern wall's rune. Are all four of the runestones left there the same size?
    Last edited by whiteflash; 2020-03-06 at 06:20 AM.

6. - Top - End - #456

There is no effect. As you head to the wall, you discover they are all the exact same size, so far as you can tell. You stack one on top of another and if there is a difference in size, it isn't one you can see.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #457
    Ogre in the Playground

In that case, I remove all of the remaining runes except for the biggest stone rune that matches the rune on the eastern wall, the smallest stone runestone that matches the symbol on the northern wall, and the middle-sized stone runestone that matches the rune on the floor.

(I've been assuming, but I don't remember if I actually asked: are the walls of this room made of stone?)

8. - Top - End - #458

(You didn't, they are)

Leaving just the stone rune of each size doesn't seem to have an effect.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #459
    Ogre in the Playground

I take another, very careful look at the walls, to make sure I'm not missing any indentations where the runestones should be going.

(Since the dice don't like me, and I'm about to have my character comb every inch of the walls until he's sure nothing is there, can I take 20?)

10. - Top - End - #460

(Nope, but I'll compromise on it. Luckily time is not a factor here. If you need another nudge, let me know.)

You take an hour to search the room thoroughly, but find nothing else in this room. In fact upon further inspection you even realize the runes that are there aren't so much carved in as much as simply part of the stone walls themselves. Even the stones walls are smooth in this room, appearing to only be a single stone in this room. The corners have a slight curve as if this room itself was hollowed out. You return to the hallway to find it to be a series of smaller stones that seamlessly transition into this room.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #461
    Ogre in the Playground

In that case, I move the biggest non-stone-runestones of each material that match the rune on the eastern wall back into the room, and place them next to the corresponding actual-runestone still in the room.

I then do the same for the smallest non-stone-runestones cooresponding to the rune on the northern wall, and the medium sized non-stone runestones cooresponding to the rune on the floor.

From there, I head back to the hallway for another look at the transition between the hallway and the room. Can I find the exact point where the solid stone seems to end and the masonry seems to start?

12. - Top - End - #462

Switching out the material doesn't seem to have an effect.

You are able to locate the exact point it changes. There is a seam when the cobblestone style surrounding ends.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #463
    Ogre in the Playground

How solid is the seam? And does it give me any hint what's under the cobblestone walls?

14. - Top - End - #464

The seam is solid. There is no hint as to what is underneath. It looks like very high quality stonework. You don't really have any background in stonework, so you can roll an investigation or intelligence check to try and gain additional information.

(Sorry for the delay, everything shutting down from the virus disrupted my access for a bit. As a note, I will be gone all next week with little to no access to the internet.)
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #465
    Ogre in the Playground

(Man, INT is starting to look like a worse and worse choice for my dump stat...)

(1d20-1)[0]

Edit: Okay, that's actually pretty funny.
    Last edited by whiteflash; 2020-03-19 at 06:57 AM.

16. - Top - End - #466

Unfortunately you aren't able to gather much more information. You can just recognize that it appears to be exceptional stonework.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #467
    Ogre in the Playground

In that case, I pull out the map again, and try to navigate from the Northeast corner (which is where I am now) to the Southeast corner.

18. - Top - End - #468

You leave the hall you are in and return to a three way intersection. One path heads West, the other South. You select the Southern path. You walk for a bit before you encounter yet another 3 way intersection. One path heads Southeast the other West. You select the Southeast path. You being to walk down a hall. You can see a room at the other end. As you enter the room, it looks the same as the one in the NE that you just left.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #469
    Ogre in the Playground

I head in. Do runes appear on the walls?

20. - Top - End - #470

As you head in, a rune appears on the floor. It is the same size as the last one. However this time it glows an earthy green. The symbol is a circle. Attached to the circle are two arcs curving away and up. These arcs continue into a second arc that covers back flat. Overall it looks like a circle with horns.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #471
    Ogre in the Playground

Do I remember seeing runestones that matched those in size and color?

If so, I head back and bring them over. If not, I take a look at the map to refresh myself on the blank areas.

22. - Top - End - #472

It is a single image on the floor. You do indeed remember seeing those in the pile you left of others in the Northeast corner. Are you gathering all of the green ones or just that symbol?
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #473
    Ogre in the Playground

I think I'll go gather the green ones that matched that symbol. Oh, and is it the only the one symbol, or do any others appear?

(I thought the ones I'd left in the Northeast corner were all red and blue, though? I thought I'd gathered all the red ones, left them outside the room when I concluded I couldn't use those in that room, and then gathered the blue ones? Shouldn't the green ones still be in the same room they started in?)

24. - Top - End - #474

(um..you are correct. It's been so long I forgot you'd not gone into the 2nd room to gather them. Would you like to RP out going to get them? Since you've established a system I'm comfortable saying you can easily navigate to the required room and follow it. If so, Do you go West or North to do so? West fills in more map, North retraces steps.)

There are no symbols on the wall like before. As you think about it though, when you entered the other room the first time there weren't any symbols either. It took you tracing your hand along the wall to seemingly "activate" them.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #475
    Ogre in the Playground

(Yeah. Solo games last a while.)

I think what I'll do is have Deon test the walls the way he tested the last set, and then go collect all of the green runes that match the symbols he sees. I think he'll go west, too, to uncover more map.

26. - Top - End - #476

You run your hand along the walls, but nothing seems to happen. You stand there to wait for a while, sure that it worked last time. After a delay the walls begin to faintly glow a green color. As more time passes, the glow becomes more intense and the runes are revealed. The large rune looks like an n, but the right side curves out and then back over itself, the stroke finishing underneath the hump of the n. The smaller symbol looks like an m. However, the right side seems to be made up of a simplistic fish symbol.

You leave the room and travel west. You come to another 4 way intersection. There is a Northern hall, and then a hall that traverses from SW to NE. You select this hall, heading NE. You come to another 4 way intersection, one already on your map. You continue down the current hall until it dead ends into a room filled with piles of objects. You glance around, and remember which pile is your sorted objects. You gather up all of the green runes, leaving the white ones.

You then travel back to the room you were in. The three glowing green runes remain, though they are starting to fade. You brush your hand across the walls, and they begin to glow more vibrantly once again.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #477
    Ogre in the Playground

So, it seems like the same system as the last room, to the extent that I understand either system? The runes on the walls are all different sizes, and each runestone matches a rune on the wall.?

I start putting the largest runes that match the N symbol in front of the wall that holds it, and the smallest runes that match the M symbol in front of that symbol. Is the floor rune medium sized in this room? If so, I put the medium sized runes that seem to match it on top of the rune.
    Last edited by whiteflash; 2020-03-26 at 09:16 AM.

28. - Top - End - #478

Yep, same system! (I'll be honest, I messed up my directions. These are supposed to be the West rooms, but I've just flopped them with the East ones since it was my mistake.)

You are able to arrange the objects so you are left with only 4 of each symbol, one of each material.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #479
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay. I think I might have figured out what you're getting at.

What exact color were the "blue" runes I worked with in the last room? Were they the light blue of a clear sky at noon, or more the dark blue of the ocean on a clear day? I know you said "blue and white," but that could be either from clouds or waves.
    Last edited by whiteflash; 2020-03-27 at 03:45 PM.

30. - Top - End - #480

The blue white matched the same blue white from the runes on the pedestal. It is more of a light blue than a deep blue. It is really a very light blue with strands/tracers of white flowing through it. As you stand and look at the current runes, you realize that even the green in front of you is not a stable color. It seems to shimmer and move between a few different shades of a deep green.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show