New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default How to Start Playing Dungeons & Dragons (5th Edition) Without Breaking the Bank

Hey, guys. I have humbly published a guide on how to get started in D&D while on a budget. I hope you all enjoy and I wish each of you a pleasant day.
    https://www.gametruth.com/guides/a-b...king-the-bank/
    Last edited by hboyce1; 2019-04-29 at 05:06 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: How to Start Playing Dungeons & Dragons (5th Edition) Without Breaking the Bank

Visit your local library?
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxWilson View Post
    Just, please don't. Insisting on that technicality improves nothing.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: How to Start Playing Dungeons & Dragons (5th Edition) Without Breaking the Bank

Nice guide, in skimming it I didn't notice if it tells you that with internet access that without spending an additional dime you may just
    download a complete legal copy of the D&D Basic Rules from the WotC website here.

Then add a few more free rules with the V5.1 Systems Reference Document (including the OGL) here

and the Elemental Evil Player's Companion

I'd recommend shelling out $20 and getting The "Lost Mines of Phandelver" adventure in the 5e Starter Set which is a good one.

The Dungeon Master Guide, Player's Handbook, Monster Manual, and the Princes of the Apocalypse adventure may all be checked out from the North Branch of the Berkeley Public Library, and most California Public Libraries may borrow from each othet for free via the Link Plus system.

That's more than enough to get started and play.

(EDIT: Shadow monk'd:
    Quote Originally Posted by NaughtyTiger View Post
    )
    Last edited by 2D8HP; 2019-04-29 at 02:33 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

It's too late for me. I'm already seven books in the red, about to pull the trigger on four more.
    Go on, get out of here while you still can.
    You can make it - YOU still have time.
    Go! You have to leave me! GO!

Save...your...self...

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Telesphoros View Post
    Says page not found for me.

Better link for you:

https://www.gametruth.com/guides/a-b...king-the-bank/
    Hey! Thanks for the heads up. The link should work now.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    Nice guide, in skimming it I didn't notice if it tells you that with internet access that without spending an additional dime you may just
    download a complete legal copy of the D&D Basic Rules from the WotC website here.

Then add a few more free rules with the V5.1 Systems Reference Document (including the OGL) here

and the Elemental Evil Player's Companion

I'd recommend shelling out $20 and getting The "Lost Mines of Phandelver" adventure in the 5e Starter Set which is a good one.

The Dungeon Master Guide, Player's Handbook, Monster Manual, and the Princes of the Apocalypse adventure may all be checked out from the North Branch of the Berkeley Public Library, and most California Public Libraries may borrow from each othet for free via the Link Plus system.

That's more than enough to get started and play.

(EDIT: Shadow monk'd: )
    Hey! Great advice all around. I think you make some good points. The roll20 and 5esrd sites I reference make it easy to surf through the information within the SRD, so that's how I decided to share that info. Beyond that, I also link the basic rules page offered by Wizards of the Coast. The basic rules and SRD are pretty much paramount for new players, so those definitely need to be present.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Imbalance View Post
    It's too late for me. I'm already seven books in the red, about to pull the trigger on four more.

Save...your...self...
    Haha, at least you haven't sunk thousands in minis yet. There is still time!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Telesphoros View Post
    We use to use Legos as miniatures, then one of us bought a 3D printer... hundreds of miniatures later, and that thing is still working overtime.
    Hot damn. I want one.

9. - Top - End - #9

PaladinGuy

Probably a useful resource! Are you open to feedback?

If so, maybe mention that the PHB is the core book for players and that it should probably be the first book you buy.
    Also, I'm not sure that Neutral Good characters are as concerned with the balance between Good and Evil, as between Law and Chaos.
    Proclaiming something "objectively" true or false does not excuse you from proving it so.

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by hboyce1 View Post
    Haha, at least you haven't sunk thousands in minis yet. There is still time!

Oh, that ship sailed, sunk, and became a coral ecosystem long before I got into D&D...

11. - Top - End - #11

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by NaughtyTiger View Post
    this is how i got my start.
    Have you accepted the Flying Spaghetti Monster as your Lord and Savior? If so, add this to your signature!
    Beholders are just a meatball that fell out of the Flying Spaghetti Monster
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.
    my first game started on a pirate ship
    Sorry for any spelling mistake

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NecessaryWeevil View Post
    Probably a useful resource! Are you open to feedback?

If so, maybe mention that the PHB is the core book for players and that it should probably be the first book you buy.
    Also, I'm not sure that Neutral Good characters are as concerned with the balance between Good and Evil, as between Law and Chaos.
    Hey! I am always open to feedback. Thank you for your support and for your thoughts on the article. You make some great points!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

Oh, that ship sailed, sunk, and became a coral ecosystem long before I got into D&D...
    Lul. I feel you.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Save...your...self...
    Heh, I'm next to you on this sinking ship ...
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society