New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: If a group of top YouTubers got together and left to form a competitor backed.

I'm sure a second vidme will succeed.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Default Re: If a group of top YouTubers got together and left to form a competitor backed.

It's not crazy. But they'll also not be able to compete.

The current 'Net infrastructure premieres the big 5, and that's unlikely to change soon. There are significant barriers of entry.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Considering that the people grumbling haven't switched to Dailymotion, Vimeo, or various other sites it's clear they still get value from Youtube. Given that the technical side is largely interchangeable between these and Youtube's business practices aren't exactly beloved it's probably because there's a huge benefit to visibility.

This new, hypothetical company? It's Vimeo or Dailymotion but smaller.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

There is two major entry barriers.

1) It takes a hilariously large amount of cash to run an online video archive & service. Which is why Youtube failed in the first place and got bought by Google, who had the cash (and IIRC burnt through a lot of it before YouTube became sustainable, and then only because Google also had the ad system to support it).

2) Being a top youtuber content producer professional has pretty much 0 overlap with the professional knowledge needed to create and run a video website. While I cannot discount there being a person that fits both sets of knowledge at the same time, it would be a remarkable coincidence, rather than a sure deal.

So, in short, they likely would have neither the money nor the ability to do so.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Who would care?

Not most people. Sure, some people would follow the providers to the new service, but most people would just find a new channel to follow.

IMO, they are all pretty interchangeable.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Great Modthulhu: Poster proved to be a spammer/bot.