New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: OOTS #1161 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    But in England the word for that rank is Earl, not count. You wouldn't be calling Louis "Basileus Louis", would you?
    Of course not, because "Basileus" is a silly word for "king" and I thought you French were better than that. You're a romantic language, for pete's sake! The Romans had a great root word for you to use!
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

2. - Top - End - #392
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Of course not, because "Basileus" is a silly word for "king" and I thought you French were better than that. You're a romantic language, for pete's sake! The Romans had a great root word for you to use!
    We use it: ‘‘roi’’. ‘‘Basileus’’ is Greek, that was my point: using neither your own word nor the one from the individual’s native culture is kinda weird.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2019-04-27 at 01:55 PM.

3. - Top - End - #393
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

We use it: ‘‘roi’’. ‘‘Basileus’’ is Greek, that was my point: using neither your own word nor the one from the individual’s native culture is kinda weird.
    I can always revert back to "English is weird." Those clever Brits, giving me a nice escape route like that.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-04-27 at 02:08 PM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

4. - Top - End - #394
    Ettin in the Playground

Stuff to say before I forget:

- I when my eyes first hit panel 9, I was convinced that Haley was going to shoot Roy in the nuts again
    - Rich is very good at drawing hands
    - The period at the end of the WUMF is hilarious

5. - Top - End - #395
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Gunsforhands View Post
    - Rich is very good at drawing hands
    Nonsense. Not only does he draw them with two digits too many, he also adds a completely unnecessary lump of flesh between the arm proper and the fingers. And this despite the fact that his characters have perfectly normal hands he could copy!
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

6. - Top - End - #396
    Titan in the Playground

But in England the word for that rank is Earl, not count. You wouldn't be calling Louis "Basileus Louis", would you?
    A few things that are probably worth noting.

Firstly, although "Count" was never an English title, there were Counts in England, because from 1066 onwards the English nobility overlapped significantly with the French nobility, with many lords holding a title in each kingdom, usually including the king. It was therefore a word in sufficiently common use as to be adopted into English in its own right even though it was never the name for an English title.

Secondly, although Earls and Counts are of the same noble rank, after about 1066 Earldoms didn't necessarily correspond to a territory in fact. You might be Earl of Gloucester but that didn't mean you ruled Gloucestershire: it was just a title, of varying levels of prestige. Counts, by contrast, were de jure rulers of the county to which the title corresponded. This is a simplification but not too much of one. There is therefore a distinction between the two titles, and may be part of the reason why the titles remained differentiated in English, with Earls being the title used for British title-holders, and Counts for European title-holders.

(Pre-1066, Earldoms were associated directly with territory, but at that point the territories were much bigger and Earls were more akin to contintental Dukes.)

Thirdly, "Count" is probably the wrong title for Vlad Dracula anyway. As a Voivode, Vlad was more akin to a French Duke, or a sovereign Prince. English has always had problems when it comes to translating Eastern European titles and this is no exception.
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

7. - Top - End - #397

There's also the issue that because of the spread of the French language as the preferred tongue of the elites*, many local terms were displaced by Francophone ones (see also Russian literature like Tolstoi). So there's a certain level of cultural contamination at work.

*hence the phrase lingua franca

8. - Top - End - #398
    Ogre in the Playground

I think the mistake here is that you're defining earl as "noble of count rank" instead of as "English noble of count rank." Because of that qualifier, it would be absolutely unsuitable for Dracula, while count fits (although, as noted, duke would have been a better word, not only because of its implied rank but because of the etymological parallels between voivode and duke*). This is not altogether unusual. For example, the Finnish parliament is called eduskunta, a native formation, but all other parliaments are called parlamentti, a loan.

It is possible that the alliteration of Duke Dracula would have made him sound too much like some sort of mascot, though.

*Even better would have been to not let Old English heretoga** die off (cf. German Herzog), but alas and wailawai.
    **Let's make hartow a thing.
    Last edited by hrožila; 2019-04-29 at 06:50 AM.
    ungelic is us

9. - Top - End - #399
    Bugbear in the Playground

Yea, it probably just sounded better for the intended audience. Continental, aristocratic.
    Attention LotR fans
    Spoiler: LotR
    Show
    The scouring of the Shire never happened. That's right. After reading books I, II, and III, I stopped reading when the One Ring was thrown into Mount Doom. The story ends there. Nothing worthwhile happened afterwards. Middle-Earth was saved.

10. - Top - End - #400
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

"Duke Dracula" just doesn't have that ominous edge.