New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Thirsting blade and multiple attacks.

Sorry guys, after 20 years of dnd 3.5 I finally am getting into 5.0, and have many questions but here's just one: 5 warlock/ 5 fighter character with pact of blade feature and thirsting blade invocation. On his turn he has 2 attacks(second from fighter lvl 5), will both attacks benefit from thirsting blade? And if so does he also get his reaction and any bonus actions he has coming?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Thirsting blade and multiple attacks.

You get two attacks, not four, when you take the Attack Action. You will not get a second attack for your Reactions and Bonus Actions unless explicitly stated (e.g. with the Monk's second-level feature).

PHB164, multiclassing section:
    E x t r a A t t a c k
    If you gain the Extra Attack class feature from more
    than one class, the features don’t add together. You
    can’t make more than two attacks with this feature
    unless it says you do (as the fighter’s version o f Extra
    Attack does). Similarly, the warlock’s eldritch invocation
    Thirsting Blade doesn’t give you additional attacks if you
    also have Extra Attack.
    Last edited by PhantomSoul; 2019-04-22 at 12:21 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

I didn't think "thirsting blade" fell in the same category as the class feature: "extra attack" and therefore didn't think it fell under that restriction. I guess I was wrong, even though I don't agree with it :)

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by Aramyll View Post
    I didn't think "thirsting blade" fell in the same category as the class feature: "extra attack" and therefore didn't think it fell under that restriction. I guess I was wrong, even though I don't agree with it :)
    It has the same wording as the others: it sets the number of attacks per Attack Action.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

RangerGuy

If it stacked, like the way you want, then a L5 Warrior/L5 Lock would have four attacks: the same as a L20 Warrior.
    If it stacked, like the way you want, then a L11 Warrior/L5 Lock would have 6 attacks at level 16.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

• Thirsting Blade: You can attack [...] twice, instead of once, whenever you take the Attack action on your turn.
    • Extra Attack: [...]You can attack twice, instead of once, whenever you take the Attack action on your turn.

The wording is identical.

Additionally, the rules on Extra Attack stacking: "If you gain the Extra Attack class feature from more than one class, the features don't add together. You can't make more than two attacks with this feature unless it says you do (as the fighter's version of Extra Attack does). Similarly, the warlock's eldritch invocation Thirsting Blade doesn't give you additional attacks if you also have Extra Attack."
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2019-04-22 at 01:48 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

On his turn he has 2 attacks(second from fighter lvl 5), will both attacks benefit from thirsting blade? And if so does he also get his reaction and any bonus actions he has coming?
    Both are linked to the "attack" action. Neither your reaction nor your bonus action can use the "attack" action.

It's just a careless reading of RAW, there's nothing to agree about.
    Trust but verify. There's usually a reason why I believe you can't do something.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

MindFlayer

One makes you attack twice. The other also makes you attack twice.

Even if both apply, both just make you attack twice. It isn't like they say "attack one more time than usual", or "double your number of attacks". Simply attacks=2.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Alfgar View Post
    If it stacked, like the way you want, then a L11 Warrior/L5 Lock would have 6 attacks at level 16.
    I think I have an idea for my next character!

10. - Top - End - #10

DruidGuy

The upside of it NOT stacking is that you get to use your L5 Warlock invocation for something different.

It also frees you from having to be Pact of the Blade for your warlock choice, unless you just like the flavor. 5 levels of Tomelock or Chainlock on a fighter could make for a fun character.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Alfgar View Post
    If it stacked, like the way you want, then a L5 Warrior/L5 Lock would have four attacks: the same as a L20 Warrior.
    Or 12 with action surge

If battle master with sweeping strike could blow every dice.

Compared to 3.5
    At least in my opinion
    The munchkining is toned down alooot. Which I'm ok with in general cuz..... I'm the rper of the group XD

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Side note: you can get four attacks by level five.

A Hunter ranger can attack twice, get one extra attack using horde breaker, then get a fourth attack as a bonus action from two weapon fighting, polearms master (the feat), great weapon master, (the feat) or crossbow expert (the feat)

A monk can use flurry of blows for four attacks.

A fighter can get two attacks, action surge for two more, and then get a bonus action attack.

Going to higher levels, things get even sillier. The fighter with ten attacks is generally the limit, although rangers *can* get higher under the right circumstances.
    Make Martials Cool Again.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

Thanks to EVERYONE for all the input. It's much appreciated 😊

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

I'd say that's a very common misconception with a 3rd edition background, since there used to be way more attacks available per turn with many classes, not just the pure warrior classes.

I'm probably repeating an already said thing, but it's worthwhile to put 5th edition's attacks into proper perspective. In 5th edition, movement doesn't come at the cost of Actions (meaning that you don't have to use an action to move; you can use your roundly Action to move more with the Dash Action, but again, you don't have to), while in 3rd edition, if you made a move action, you could only make a standard action along with it. This usually meant you could attack only once on the turn you moved (more than 5 feet).

In 3rd edition, if you wanted to make multiple attacks in a turn, you had to stand still (or at most, move only 5 feet) and make a full-round action. In 5th edition, there are no 5 foot steps nor full-round actions, so the attack procedure is largely different as well. For example, in 5th edition you can move as much as you want before or after the attacks made as part of your Action, as long as your movement per turn permits it. Especially if you have the Extra Attack you could move, attack, move, attack again, and move. Something you can't do in 3rd edition (at least without intensive investment on one-trick-pony feat chains).

Also, do pay attention where capital letters are used. They have a purpose (e.g. Attack Action ≠ attack, per se. Attack Action is the name of a rule, while attacks granted by the rule are the effect of the rule).
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2019-04-24 at 02:40 AM.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014