New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default World of Nibiru: help fleshing world out

So for my own unique world (known as Nibiru) magic is a natural phenomena that can be seen as "auroras" or "mist" where it collects in large amounts. Magicians of the world draw upon this "aether" to cast spells and such. Although magic isn't exactly rare, most can not harness it to impressive levels without using "crystallized" aether to boost their own attributes, and thus comes my problem.

Currently I am having trouble naming this "Crystalized" aether that players can also insert in their armor and weapons.

I will fill this page out with more world info if people want.

History
    Nibiru is the main setting of the game. It serves as the "Aether Heart" of the universe, the central node through which all Aether flows. At times the aether causes portions of the world to overlap with others, giving rise to legends of lost worlds and continents on different planes.
    Throughout the ages it has been ravished by war, powerful kingdoms being built up on the rich access to the very essence of magic, only to fall in time thanks to their own hubris. The cycle of war finally came to an end with a great black tower arose from the land, from which flowed a strange black Miasma that seems to eat at the aether it came into contact with, corrupting it. This herald the beginning of the Dark Ages.
    The world eroded, nations fell and entire races perished as it spread. Finally, the deities descended upon the remnants of a human kingdom, blessing them with the power of the "Searing Light", and giving them the means to banish the darkness and destroy the tower. The deities sealed the miasma and tower away, meanwhile creating a barrier of light around their own kingdom to protect their followers of the darkness.
    The Dark Ages ended, and a time of peace descended on the world. Albion rose as a prominent power, guided by their deities and the royal family they bless.
    In return, all they ask if for a human female, one strongly connected to the Light, to be offered to them in a ritual on the Day of Black Sun every twenty years, in a ritual known as the Rite of Ascension.

Kingdoms
    Albion- a kingdom carved into a large mountain that stands idle on a cliff. It is split into three sections or rings, with a different class living in each, the royal family and holy church taking the top ring as their own. Ruled by a royal family, who gives up a daughter to the Rite of Ascension every 20 years to keep the Deities blessing.

Other nations that survived the Dark Ages or currently exist are:
    Kemet- Egyptian inspired, gods walk amongst mortals, living in pyramid like structures, had skin of gold and animal heads. The populace live their lives in complete servitude to their deities, and they harbor a hatred for Albion, who deems them heretics. Battles commonly erupt on the borders.
    In the Dark Ages several of their deities were slain and entombed in a great labyrinth beneath the sands.

Irkalla- a great subterranean kingdom that use aetherite as their main means of light, growing dependent and almost religious towards it.

Lemuria- a great southern kingdom who worship something they call the deep one, and the creatures of the water. They offer prisoners to a great whirlpool they claim leads to their deity. The army of the nations wear shark skin suits (literally shark shaped armor) and clawed gauntlets. Religious warriors are sometimes blessed and given the Anthromorphic forms of sea animals.

Rama- a city of obsidian built into the mountains, known for their strange customs and for the undead that make up their army. Their rulers are the Ageless, immortal liches that elect a ruler who ascends amongst their number upon attaining undeath.
    They have a very strict country, with the bonds of life and death being prominent in everything they do. For example; those wed take the meaning to death literally, if one dies before the other, they will be buried alive alongside them in a crystal cube. Regardless of their own wishes.
    it is common to see undead servant patrolling the streets, doing their necromancer master's business. They are feared world wide for their army, for undead soldiers do not fear or feel and must be destroyed beyond recognition or they will rise once more, alongside those they have slain.

Scholomance- not a kingdom, but a great magical academy on an island off the coast of Albion. Welcomes all magical users.

Creatures
    Although normal animals do exist (well normal for their world), most of the creatures inhabiting Nibiru are known as Kaidan, and are more like spirits given physical form. Although some resemble normal animals, most appear like mythological creatures or my own creations. All Kaidan species are descendants from a "primal", the first Kaidan of their species.Certain mages can control them and use them as familiars.
    For the most part, they are like normal monsters in settings.
    Few changes from established MM.

Magic
    Magic comes from various sources, each functioning differently. Divine magic is power granted to believers through their faith in a higher being, while Elemental magic manifest when one learns to control the elemental aether that gives the world form. By channeling the ambient aether into their own "spirit (thinking of a term here" and forming it into their desired spell.
    Various types of magic are known to exist; cyromancy, pyromancy, geomancy, chronomancy, sangromancy, anti-life magic, necromancy, divine magic, primal magic, druidic, etc
    Other types of powers exist within the world that do not belong to magic; the spiritual ki powers of the eastern lands, kineticism (the ability to manipulate the fundamental forces of the world), ad more obscure unknown forms.
    Word magic (looking for a better term) is a lost art known only to a few (fragments exist within enchanters) and is power unlike normal magic, where one speaks the primal language of the "Elders" before being lost in the "Star Fall" millennia past.

Aetherite
    Aetherite is the crystalized form of aether, which houses great power. Beings may use aetherite to use the magic stored within, even if they themselves have no magical talent. It is also gathered and crafted into armor and weapons by some, although this takes certain types of rare Aetherite that is hardly available.
    Aetherite can be inset in armor, while Aethershards (smaller fragments) are inset into weapons giving them attributes of the shard. Enchanters may also place magical runes onto items, giving them unique attributes.

Classes
    The game has numerous classes, each having their own unique skill tree and abilities that interact with the elemental attributes of the game in different ways. So far they all play uniquely, and each have their own advantages in battle. Each character can have two classes, while the main character's first class is locked as Scion.
    Scion - Unique to the my character.
    Knight
    Pyromancer - Elemental user of fire.
    Devout - Divine magic users, known as bishops, priest, clerics, etc across the world.
    Rogue
    Bard
    Geomancer - Elemental user of earth.
    Chronomancer - Time magic. Forbidden magic.
    Swordmaster - Master's of martial arts. Known as Samurai in the eastern lands.
    Archer
    Sangromancer - Blood magic user.
    Ferromancer - Elemental user of metal.
    Cyromancer - Elemental user of ice.
    Necromancer - Uses undead magic.
    Kineticist - Uses Kineticism (manipulating force and gravity)
    Hydromancer - Elemental user of water.
    Aeromancer - Elemental user of wind. (looking for different name)
    Electomancer - Elemental user of electricity. (looking for different name)
    Mentalist - Mind magic
    Diabolist - a being who uses anti-life magic (want a new name. Name does not fit)
    Primalist- beings that use primal magi (wildshape and turning body parts into those of animals, learning monster attacks) [blue mage]
    Summoner - a being that can summon kaidan
    Druid - a druidic magic user
    Monk - a spiritual warrior of the eastern lands

Characters
    I wont list characters here, but in addition to classes, each character has at least 4 unique skills on their skill trees, representing their character growth throughout the game.

Worlds
    Theoretically there exist an infinite number of worlds in the multiverse, each universe having it's own "Aetherheart" that serves as the conduit of magic, connecting to the "Nexus", the primordial point from which everything came.
    Last edited by j_spencer93; 2019-05-19 at 02:21 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: World of Nibiru: help fleshing world out

Not bad. I will jot those down. I was considering something to do with quartz. Avoid spheres to mitigate the FF similarities.

Honestly really liking the idea of Aetherite.
    Last edited by j_spencer93; 2019-04-25 at 08:57 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Is there any one person or group who discovered magic, or discovered how to crystallize it? It could be named after her/him/them.

What do people call magic? Is there a deity of 'magic'?

Otherwise, some random ideas:
    - Mistite, Mist Shards, Mist Stones
    - Aurorite, Aurora Shards, Aurora Stones,
    - Aetherium

Good luck!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by j_spencer93 View Post
    So for my own unique world (known as Nibiru) magic is a natural phenomena that can be seen as "auroras" or "mist" where it collects in large amounts. Magicians of the world draw upon this "aether" to cast spells and such. Although magic isn't exactly rare, most can not harness it to impressive levels without using "crystallized" aether to boost their own attributes, and thus comes my problem.

Currently I am having trouble naming this "Crystalized" aether that players can also insert in their armor and weapons.

If you are going with the idea of "magic~thoughtstuff" then unrefined Oneirosite and refined Oneirium (from Oneiros) are my favorite on that topic.
    Maybe the whole Aetherium is what is man-made, while the Oneirosite is what happens when a huge amount of aether naturally collects and saturates a rock or tree or something.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by j_spencer93 View Post

Is this the same as Planet X, the world that some say will one day collide with the Earth?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I doubt every culture would have the same name for it. The Tears of Angels, Pearls, Dinky's Balls, Gents, Favors, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

7. - Top - End - #7

Lizardfolk

you could go really ambiguous and call them crystals.
    Some more ideas
    aetherium
    aethuric crystals.
    Mistals

sorry if I repeated anything.
    Professional Ancient Relic
    Beware, Monologues
    Ambassador from Gen Z
    NBITP

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdeep Merch View Post
    Use your smite bite to fight the plight right. Fill the site with light and give fright to wights as a knight of the night, teeth white; mission forthright, evil in flight. Despite the blight within, you perform the rite, ignore any contrite slight, fangs alight, soul bright.

That sight is dynamite.

8. - Top - End - #8

Put down the plotdevicium! And stand away from aetherial condensatory apparatus!
    Love this concept!

9. - Top - End - #9

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky McDibben View Post
    Put down the plotdevicium! And stand away from aetherial condensatory apparatus!
    Can I sig this, if so, how do I sig something?
    Professional Ancient Relic
    Beware, Monologues
    Ambassador from Gen Z
    NBITP

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdeep Merch View Post
    Use your smite bite to fight the plight right. Fill the site with light and give fright to wights as a knight of the night, teeth white; mission forthright, evil in flight. Despite the blight within, you perform the rite, ignore any contrite slight, fangs alight, soul bright.

That sight is dynamite.

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    If you are going with the idea of "magic~thoughtstuff" then unrefined Oneirosite and refined Oneirium (from Oneiros) are my favorite on that topic.
    Maybe the whole Aetherium is what is man-made, while the Oneirosite is what happens when a huge amount of aether naturally collects and saturates a rock or tree or something.
    I really like this idea in a way. I think I will try to come up with a term for man made "Aetherite"

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    I doubt every culture would have the same name for it. The Tears of Angels, Pearls, Dinky's Balls, Gents, Favors, etc.
    I have worked that in. Most terms used are from the main country the story starts in "Albion" however as the player goes throughout the game they learn that the "gods" of their land have distorted history for their own means.
    So as you progress you learn new names for certain terms, but generally i try to keep them relatable to not confuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonagel View Post
    Is there any one person or group who discovered magic, or discovered how to crystallize it? It could be named after her/him/them.

What do people call magic? Is there a deity of 'magic'?

Otherwise, some random ideas:
    - Mistite, Mist Shards, Mist Stones
    - Aurorite, Aurora Shards, Aurora Stones,
    - Aetherium

Good luck!
    Really what it is called depends on the country and group of people. Its a little complicated but only the "magical institute" calls it magic. The "Searing Light" religion views it as divine blessing, the northern folk claim its the spirits of the ancients beckoning the call of "Shamans". Etc

Also, lol i have been busy making the game so sorry i haven't been posted. Going to do an older fashion 2D RPG first and then maybe update it to a 3D game if it gets enough attention.

The world uses various names old lost continents, worlds, etc and ties them together as "Nibiru" being the "Aether Heart" of the universe. The aether leaks from it into all other worlds, causing overlaps at times, which is how the names and such have spread. So far the game takes you to at least 4 worlds, although only 2 have enough free roam to learn about.

If anyone wants to know more I can change the original post to a more detailed setting summary.
    Last edited by j_spencer93; 2019-05-15 at 06:01 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by Wizard_Lizard View Post
    Can I sig this, if so, how do I sig something?
    Knock yourself out, bro!