New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Flumph

Default What plot twist most disappointed you?

No disrespect to the Giant is intended, whatever he comes up with will be better than my stuff for sure. That said, are there any plot elements that when introduced made you disappointed?

Mine would be in Girard's Gate: Roy vs Xykon, and it's not an epic climactic battle. In fact Xykon goes down like a bitch. OK we expected Redcloak vs Xykon trouble was brewing, but now the plot is that Xykon wasn't the big bad after all, Redcloak is going to have to complete the ritual without Xykon and find a new epic caster, what a magnificent twist... Oh.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: What plot twist most disappointed you?

The "solution" how Durkon beat Durkula. For me, didn't match the setup for the scene, and the explanation given (outside the comic) read like a "rules-lawyering" victory. Basically, kill Durkula with a buffer-overrun....

Emotionally, it was pretty nice, though.
    Boytoy of the -Fan-Club
    What? It's not my fault we don't get a good-aligned female paragon of promiscuity!

I heard Blue is the color of irony on the internet.

I once fought against a dozen people defending a lady - until the mods took me down in the end.
    Want to see my prison tatoo?

*Branded for double posting*
    Sometimes, being bad feels so good.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Calavera View Post
    No disrespect to the Giant is intended, whatever he comes up with will be better than my stuff for sure. That said, are there any plot elements that when introduced made you disappointed?

Mine would be in Girard's Gate: Roy vs Xykon, and it's not an epic climactic battle. In fact Xykon goes down like a bitch.
    Xykon just lost his legs and pelvis. Dude still seemed perfectly capable of fighting if he'd wanted.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-04-30 at 05:29 PM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 1

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Xykon just lost his legs and pelvis. Dude still seemed perfectly capable of fighting if he'd wanted.
    ??? I've no idea what you mean. In that scene, which for just a brief moment I thought was real, Xykon had full on double dead "x"s for eyes.

Edit, just realised you think I meant the scene with the real Xykon, after the gate blew up. Nope.
    Last edited by Calavera; 2019-04-30 at 05:40 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

In Peelee's defense, it took me a LONG while to figure out that "Oh" at the end meant "Oh, it was just an illusion, none of this actually happened, how disappointing" rather than "Oh, Xykon going down so easily was a disappointing twist and I'm being sarcastic", which made your post very confusing for me.

It wasn't exactly a plot twist, but I was disappointed that Andi turned out to be completely unreasonable and basically cuckoo. Similarly, I wasn't a fan of Miko's "I'm special" thing.
    Last edited by hroşila; 2019-04-30 at 05:48 PM.
    ungelic is us

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Uh, I'm pretty sure Peelee was being tongue-in-cheek.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post
    Uh, I'm pretty sure Peelee was being tongue-in-cheek.
    ...... Yeeeeees, I totally didn't make the same misreading hroşila*did, nope, not at all.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 1

8. - Top - End - #8

GreataxeFighterGirl

With time most plot twists that didn't pack the punch the first time sort of settle around, so I'll throw this one it:

where Haley makes the shot.

The 1st time I got there I was pretty surprised, because I always viewed Haley's hair as orange (which I suppose is on the red color spectrum). However, on rereads this strip confirmed Haley's hair was a variant of red, so all was good.

Pretty cool reveal, and the ensuing fight's conclusion made him burning in the sun somewhat vindicating, but foreshadowing leading up to it was a little on the sparse side.

And this one, I guess.He only appeared in one previous strip and none of the Greenhilts ever made a single mention of him. Still, it's one of the sweetest and saddest strips in the whole comic and the context makes it all the more better.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

The four words.

There's a lack of direct connection between saying the words and gaining power. And, as Xykon points out, the power was never really V's to begin with.
    -.____________________
    ./___________________()-------Ron Miel
    |...___________________--------sits down
    |..| |_________________()-------and starts
    |..|/__________________--------singing
    | ___________________()-------about gold

10. - Top - End - #10

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by hroşila View Post
    In Peelee's defense, it took me a LONG while to figure out that "Oh" at the end meant "Oh, it was just an illusion, none of this actually happened, how disappointing" rather than "Oh, Xykon going down so easily was a disappointing twist and I'm being sarcastic", which made your post very confusing for me.

It wasn't exactly a plot twist, but I was disappointed that Andi turned out to be completely unreasonable and basically cuckoo. Similarly, I wasn't a fan of Miko's "I'm special" thing.
    Yeah I was kind of confused about where all that came from with Andi. It seemed out of left field and like an extra villain was needed.

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by understatement View Post
    With time most plot twists that didn't pack the punch the first time sort of settle around, so I'll throw this one it:

where Haley makes the shot.

The 1st time I got there I was pretty surprised, because I always viewed Haley's hair as orange (which I suppose is on the red color spectrum). However, on rereads this strip confirmed Haley's hair was a variant of red, so all was good.

Pretty cool reveal, and the ensuing fight's conclusion made him burning in the sun somewhat vindicating, but foreshadowing leading up to it was a little on the sparse side.

And this one, I guess.He only appeared in one previous strip and none of the Greenhilts ever made a single mention of him. Still, it's one of the sweetest and saddest strips in the whole comic and the context makes it all the more better.
    Honestly, I didn't get that at first as well.
    I thought they were talking about the red hair clip or jewel or whatever pulls Haley's hair together and is red.......
    But that's just me and English language =)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Miel View Post
    The four words.

There's a lack of direct connection between saying the words and gaining power. And, as Xykon points out, the power was never really V's to begin with.
    I admit I rather liked that one except I found the "it's 4 words because repetition of I" a little un-elegant.
    But again, just me and English language.....I came to like it, and it certainly makes sense with the interpretation that it served as an emphasis that V, V AND NOBODY ELSE had to succeed!

Quote Originally Posted by CriticalFailure View Post
    Yeah I was kind of confused about where all that came from with Andi. It seemed out of left field and like an extra villain was needed.
    Yeah, for me that also was a little bit of a weird setup that didn't exactly pan out to give me the impression that was probably intended....
    It is ok that Rich needed an antagonist for Bandana and if that needs to be her former babysitter who is jealous - fine. But it just wasn't set up very well in my opinion. Not extremely bad or anything, but also not as well as other story arcs.

To each their own, I guess.
    Boytoy of the -Fan-Club
    What? It's not my fault we don't get a good-aligned female paragon of promiscuity!

I heard Blue is the color of irony on the internet.

I once fought against a dozen people defending a lady - until the mods took me down in the end.
    Want to see my prison tatoo?

*Branded for double posting*
    Sometimes, being bad feels so good.

12. - Top - End - #12

Lizardfolk

that the linear guild were evil.
    I know.
    One of the first twists.
    I like zzd'tri
    Professional Ancient Relic
    Beware, Monologues
    Ambassador from Gen Z
    NBITP

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdeep Merch View Post
    Use your smite bite to fight the plight right. Fill the site with light and give fright to wights as a knight of the night, teeth white; mission forthright, evil in flight. Despite the blight within, you perform the rite, ignore any contrite slight, fangs alight, soul bright.

That sight is dynamite.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Miel View Post
    The four words.

The direct connection is there because those were the words V used to convince himself that he should accept the fiend's deal--hence being the right four words at the right time to the right person (himself) for all the wrong reasons. If he hadn't said the words he'd probably have withdrawn his hand and tried to find another way to save his family.

14. - Top - End - #14

GreataxeFighterGirl

The stutter's also a little off.

I guess "I have to succeed" wouldn't fit V's speech patterns, though.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I was dissapointed with Hylgia murdering Durkon and being allowed to get away with it. Though I still hope that a proper karmic death will visit her before the end of the current book.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by understatement View Post
    The stutter's also a little off.

I guess "I have to succeed" wouldn't fit V's speech patterns, though.
    I don't think that was a stutter, but a longer pause. Stuttering would have been represented as "I– I must succeed", I think.
    ungelic is us

17. - Top - End - #17

GreataxeFighterGirl

Quote Originally Posted by The Pilgrim View Post
    I was dissapointed with Hylgia murdering Durkon and being allowed to get away with it. Though I still hope that a proper karmic death will visit her before the end of the current book.
    As Roy points out, she's "allowed to get away with it" because it's also Durkon's kid strapped to her chest (well, until this current strip. Guess she's fair game then).

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Do you know, I can't think of one. Rich is very good at plot twists and satisfying reveals; that's one of his biggest strengths as a writer, I think. I don't ever remember thinking "that doesn't work." I guess the most wrong-footed I've been is the revelation that Redcloak may be key to saving the world, since I really want him to pay for his crimes. But that hasn't played out yet. I have confidence that Rich will handle it well.
    "Ah! your talk, your damned philosophy!"
    "Talk? It's not talk. It's not reason. It's hand's touch. I touch the wholeness, I hold it. Which is moonlight, which is Takver? How shall I fear death? When I hold it, when I hold in my hands the light--"
    -Ursula K. Le Guin, The Dispossessed

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Calavera View Post
    Mine would be in Girard's Gate: Roy vs Xykon, and it's not an epic climactic battle. In fact Xykon goes down like a bitch. OK we expected Redcloak vs Xykon trouble was brewing, but now the plot is that Xykon wasn't the big bad after all, Redcloak is going to have to complete the ritual without Xykon and find a new epic caster, what a magnificent twist... Oh.
    Wait. Your complaint is that Xykon went down too fast in the illusionary battle? As you state later, you believed for a little bit that it was a real fight.

So I don't get your complaint. Or is the complaint that you did believe the illusion and were disappointed that it turned out to be an illusion?

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

MiTD head faking Xykon into leaving the desert (much to Red Cloak's frustration): not sure if that's a plot twist, but it sure wasn't disappointing. It was the rational consequence of O'Chul's mentoring and friendship.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2019-05-02 at 08:46 AM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    MiTD head faking Xykon into leaving the desert (much to Red Cloak's frustration): not sure if that's a plot twist, but it sure wasn't disappointing. It was the rational consequence of O'Chul's mentoring and friendship.
    What's clever about this is that there are multiple layers to that. Xykon isn't dumb, and he probably knows that the MitD is trying to save the Order, but what he wants to do most is to reassert his dominance on Redcloak. And there's no better way to do it than by taking the advice of the guy who is obviously covering for the good guys.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Resileaf View Post
    What's clever about this is that there are multiple layers to that. Xykon isn't dumb, and he probably knows that the MitD is trying to save the Order, but what he wants to do most is to reassert his dominance on Redcloak. And there's no better way to do it than by taking the advice of the guy who is obviously covering for the good guys.
    That's how I read it too. Xykon felt he had been bested by Redcloak in the Tsukiko affair, so he lashed out at the earliest opportunity in the pettiest way he could think of just to put Redcloak in his place.
    ungelic is us

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

That's how I read it too. Xykon felt he had been bested by Redcloak in the Tsukiko affair, so he lashed out at the earliest opportunity in the pettiest way he could think of just to put Redcloak in his place.
    And it continues at Kraagor's gate. His every interaction with Redcloak is to put him down, insult him, and tell him to shut up because he's the one in charge.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

I’m not sure Xykon knew that the MitD was genuinely trying to help the good guy, but as soon as Redcloak took a stance he was going to take the opposite. Or rather as soon as Red tried to order him around ‘‘if you would just listen, for once...’’
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Firbolg in the Playground

I'll go with Andi's motivation, too. This is for two reasons. The first one is that I thought it was the result of two different mentalities (engineer vs artist/dreamer). The second is that I found Andi much easier to relate to: feeling unappreciated and disgruntled in the workplace isn't too rare. I have said in the past that her character had something Dilbertesque about her. I definitely wasn't expecting it to be "she never grew out of being her babysitter".
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

26. - Top - End - #26

WolfInSheepsClothing

I was also confused that the ship's engineer wouldn't know that the weapons could be dropped. Seemed like a pretty big thing for the ship's engineer to miss.

Speaking of Redcloak paying for his crimes and Xykon, it makes me wonder what they could do to him that would make him more unhappy than working with Xykon does.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

I was also confused that the ship's engineer wouldn't know that the weapons could be dropped. Seemed like a pretty big thing for the ship's engineer to miss.
    Because she spent more time on deck complaining to the captain and attempting coups than she did repairing the weapons, obviously.

It is also easy to miss functionality you don't expect to be there. The mechanisms for a quick release should look similar to the mechanism that allows you to slow-release the weapon (for, say, repairs or upgrades).

But ultimately, the text was clear that for all her self-aggrandising, she was just not that great of an engineer, and obviously even less of a captain. Dunning–Kruger effect incarnate, in effect.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

28. - Top - End - #28

GreataxeFighterGirl

Speaking of Redcloak paying for his crimes and Xykon, it makes me wonder what they could do to him that would make him more unhappy than working with Xykon does.
    Probably Gobbotopia being handed back to Azure City people.

Or the TDO rejecting him.

Or getting soul binded.

RC says he's going to "retire" to Gobbotopia if he has the chance, and we all know what that means. And I really can't see anyone but Xykon dealing the final blow.

IMHO

29. - Top - End - #29

BlueWizardGirl

The Azurites are never returning to Gobbotopia. The city’s fall was a direct consequence of the crimes of the Sapphire Guard; it will not be reversed. And GDGU made it clear that the Azurites are doung fine where they are.

Either Gobbotopia will survive, or it will be destroyed (either by the Rift, or by an angry Xykon). The latter really is the worst thing that could happen to Redcloak.

I want the goblins to have a home and equality with other nations, so I really hope that won’t happen, but it is in line with Rich’s trend of having characters face terrible consequences for their actions.

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by Resileaf View Post
    Pretty sure we have word from the Author that that was exactly what was going on. I don't remember what thread, though.
    I'd just like to point out that saying that something unsupported is the case unless someone else can prove that it is not is an utter failure of logic. - Kish