New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Anybody played Frostpunk?

I just had a voucher for a 50% off Frostpunk (as someone who bought Banished).

I vaguley remember it being talked about before release, I think, but I'd forgotten all about it.

Seems to have been rather well-received and successful. (1.4 million copies seems rather a good number for an indy game...)

It ALSO seems to have a main campaign (and scenarios), which is something of particular interest, since the lack of one is why I never played huge amounts of Banished (and, despite liking them, why I struggle to get to grips for mor ethan a handful of hours at a time with Cities: Skylines or Surviving Mars) - whereas I sunk not far short of 150 hours into Tropico 4.

So I'd be interest to see what the Playground makes of it before I invest any pennies.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Anybody played Frostpunk?

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    So I'd be interest to see what the Playground makes of it before I invest any pennies.
    I've seen Let's Plays of it by The Mighty Jingles and quill18 and the game certainly looks good.

It's by the makers of This War of Mine, which certainly adds gravitas to the hard moral choices aspect of the game, although as a lich, I doubt you'd be much troubled.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

I was pretty disappointed in it to be honest. The "choices" seem to be relatively straightforward and the game feels pretty restrictive with it's pacing and what you can realisticallly achieve if you want to succeed.

I got bored and ditched it far, far soon than I did with Skylines, but it was nowhere near as disappointing as surviving mars, which is right up there in my list of worst purchases to date in gaming.

Still, there's enough glowing reviews out there for it that it has to be doing something right.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    I just had a voucher for a 50% off Frostpunk (as someone who bought Banished).

I vaguley remember it being talked about before release, I think, but I'd forgotten all about it.

Seems to have been rather well-received and successful. (1.4 million copies seems rather a good number for an indy game...)

It ALSO seems to have a main campaign (and scenarios), which is something of particular interest, since the lack of one is why I never played huge amounts of Banished (and, despite liking them, why I struggle to get to grips for mor ethan a handful of hours at a time with Cities: Skylines or Surviving Mars) - whereas I sunk not far short of 150 hours into Tropico 4.

Scary. I had a simialr wondering what this "Frostpunk" was. And if you swap Tropico 4 for a 5 I got all of those games in my library too.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I enjoyed playing Frostpunk and going though the main campaign once, but I don’t feel the need or the desire to do it again. The campaign is pretty short, I think I finished it in 2-3 days of playing, and although I didn’t do amazingly well at it, I still scraped out a win.

It’s a pretty simple city builder that is much more about how you spend your limited resources and time than it is about making a well designed city. With this and knowing different events and outcomes, replaying the campaign feels a lot like rewatching a movie.

There’s a few other game modes and campaigns I believe now, but I don’t feel any big draw to go back and Play through them, but YMMV in regards to that.
    Former Owner of GiTP's fanciest Bloodbowl Team: The Fancy Lads
    The League's Self-Proclaimed Perennial Favorites and Season III Champions!
    Current Owner and Manager of Rampant Professionalism

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

i'd love to give it a shot. but i tried buying it one time, and it required me to install like five different addon programs or something and still wouldn't work, so i refunded the whole thing. and then un-installed those addon programs, which had the lovely side-effect of messing up some of my other programs that latched on to them for some reason

so yeah. i got that voucher too, but i'm probably not going to use it, at least not until i get a new computer.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

I played it and it's and can say that Frostpunk is a city-builder and a society simulator, but most of all a crisis management game where the crisis doesn't end until the game does.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

The general review is "Fun but not worth the sticker price". I've heard they put in a more sand-box-y mode but the game at launch was an incredibly short ride and not a particularly fun one if you're looking for a city builder in the post or near post apocalypse. It's about dealing with the end, not about thriving in it and you won't thrive.