New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Can Toddler play with hoverboards in the playground ?

I have two son and one is already 8 years old and I gave him a hoverboard for playing in playground. And my toddler want this . How I manage him? I am afraid for accident if I give him hoverboard.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: Can Toddler play with hoverboards in the playground ?

The toddler is only allowed to use it under supervision?
    Professional Ancient Relic
    Beware, Monologues
    Ambassador from Gen Z
    NBITP

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdeep Merch View Post
    Use your smite bite to fight the plight right. Fill the site with light and give fright to wights as a knight of the night, teeth white; mission forthright, evil in flight. Despite the blight within, you perform the rite, ignore any contrite slight, fangs alight, soul bright.

That sight is dynamite.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

I can't imagine how that would be a good idea. My little guy is only 16 months, loves walking wherever he can, and he still falls down a fair bit. Even at 4 or 5, going from memories of dealing with kids around that age, they don't have terribly fine motor control, which I assume is pretty required for a hoverboard. Chances are he just wants to feel included, so maybe letting him use the hoverboard but while you hold his hands and support him somewhat would be a good idea? If he makes it zoom off under his feet, then he wouldn't fall because you'd be holding him up. There are probably better ideas out there, but I just wanted to throw out the "he just wants to be a part of things" bit.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Wait, hoverboards are a thing now?
    Give directly to the extreme poor.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lacuna Caster View Post
    Wait, hoverboards are a thing now?
    Its like a segue without the handle. And they've been known to catch fire on occasion. A better question would be "wait, hoverboards are still a thing?"
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I wouldn't recommended giving a hoverboard to a toddler. I would wait when he a little older and more experience.
    Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 2019-05-07 at 03:17 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Giving him a hoverboard would be a terrible plan. An 8 year old can probably handle a hoverboard, a bicycle, a skateboard, or a scooter pretty well with a bit of practice, and if you have them wearing a helmet a fall isn't a big deal from any of them. A toddler? They can handle a tricycle, a pedal cart, and other similar much more stable vehicles and a fall at the sort of speeds you get on the vehicles in the first list is potentially a problem. You probably wouldn't let them ride a bike with no training wheels, and it's the hoverboard that is by far the most dangerous item on that list.

Telling him that he can ride it when he's older, and that it's because when you get older your motor skills get better will probably work, especially if you can point to a bunch of falling he's been doing recently.
    Last edited by Knaight; 2019-05-07 at 01:46 PM.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    I wouldn't recommended giving a motherboard to a toddler. I would wait when he a little older and more experience.
    I dunno, computer fluency seems like it keeps getting to younger and younger kids these days...
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I dunno, computer fluency seems like it keeps getting to younger and younger kids these days...
    If a toddler want to learn how to motherboard then the parents should be taught demonstration so the toddler can understand. But like I said before he should wait when he's a bit older and more experience to handle a hoverboard. That's my opinion.
    Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 2019-05-07 at 03:16 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10

PaladinGuy

only in the driveway

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    Telling him that he can ride it when he's older, and that it's because when you get older your motor skills get better will probably work, especially if you can point to a bunch of falling he's been doing recently.
    And you imagine that is going to accomplish anything? The only thing they'll understand form that is "no you can't do this because I'm not allowing you". Any reasoning will be totally wasted.

I'm continually surprised my friends with 3 kids ages 4 and down talk to their kids like they had the mental faculty of an adult. I think it's an expression of frustration, but no, a 2 year old just doesn't understand that it's stupid to throw food on the floor and that it results in not being given any treats.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danderson View Post
    I have two son and one is already 8 years old and I gave him a hoverboard for playing in playground. And my toddler want this . How I manage him? I am afraid for accident if I give him hoverboard.
    Challenge him with an easier toy your older one is already skilled in. Say a skateboard (more stability) or any other balancing toy. Bonus points if you can convince the older kid to show the small one how it is done.

He wants one because his older brother has one but he is too young to understand he is not skilled enough for it. Make him learn and train for something he wants. Give him a goal.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by snowblizz View Post
    And you imagine that is going to accomplish anything? The only thing they'll understand form that is "no you can't do this because I'm not allowing you". Any reasoning will be totally wasted.

I'm continually surprised my friends with 3 kids ages 4 and down talk to their kids like they had the mental faculty of an adult. I think it's an expression of frustration, but no, a 2 year old just doesn't understand that it's stupid to throw food on the floor and that it results in not being given any treats.
    In my experience kids are a lot smarter than they're often given credit for. The kid is old enough to be able to talk. They're familiar with falling. This isn't some complicated idea you're trying to explain to them.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

-- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danderson View Post
    Wow, I keep forgetting we're past 2015.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

The thought, at least in child dev/education circles, is merely to make kids come to expect that there is an explanation, not to make them be able to understand it, much less actually reason with them.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Kids are rather intelligent, they are immature and emotional but the thinking parts work. My 1 YO (and four months) nephew grasps the connection between the remote and TV, and will hand md the remote and sit in the chair when he wants Elmo. He also will conga on command, and has grasped that he can get attention by running at power sockets. He certainly knows enough English to understand some simple explanations, even if they are just "yucky" or "hot."
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

17. - Top - End - #17

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    Giving him a hoverboard would be a terrible plan. An 8 year old can probably handle a hoverboard, a bicycle, a skateboard, or a scooter pretty well with a bit of practice, and if you have them wearing a helmet a fall isn't a big deal from any of them. A toddler? They can handle a tricycle, a pedal cart, and other similar much more stable vehicles and a fall at the sort of speeds you get on the vehicles in the first list is potentially a problem. You probably wouldn't let them ride a bike with no training wheels, and it's the hoverboard that is by far the most dangerous item on that list.

I biked around Austria before I was 7 and did NOT use training wheels.
    Professional Ancient Relic
    Beware, Monologues
    Ambassador from Gen Z
    NBITP

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdeep Merch View Post
    Use your smite bite to fight the plight right. Fill the site with light and give fright to wights as a knight of the night, teeth white; mission forthright, evil in flight. Despite the blight within, you perform the rite, ignore any contrite slight, fangs alight, soul bright.

That sight is dynamite.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wizard_Lizard View Post
    I biked around Austria before I was 7 and did NOT use training wheels.
    An age which I note is far closer to that 8 year old than a toddler.

-- ChubbyRain

19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground

I mean I wouldn't recommend it but its not horrible I guess.