New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

Rosa hesitates to slap Borgrim when he breaks into his recruitment speech, but settles on crossing her arms and drawing a deep sigh, once more. "Nine Hells, not only I'm asking for a bonus for putting up with you, but they're going to pay it up, oh yes they will."

Rosa turns to the maid. "Me, some call me the Bloody Rose. I'm an independent, working on a strict, short term," she gives another glance to Borgrim, "contractual basis, with deep-seated work ethos against such things as taking surprise naps on duty."

"Thank you for the invitation and the drink," Rosa raises the glass without emptying it, "but since we seemingly just saved your hide from a whole squad of professional and most probably fanatical murderers, I for one would be interested to know more about you."
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

2. - Top - End - #452
    Ogre in the Playground

Cesar follows the maid to the workshop, where he nurses his drink until the others arrive. "Wow, you don't mess around with them spirits" he comments, genuinely surprised when she gulps down the entire glass.

Having guided his friends to the workshop, Cesar greets them: "So, they got away, uh? No worries, we'll catch them next time".
    He turns to the maid "Well, yes: I did say companions. You should pay attention." He pauses for a moment, thinking of a good way to put things: "You have a sharp intuition: they are not regular patrolmen. They are... deputies. Yes. Deputies. You can count on them being completely thrust-worthy, given the right task. And currently, their task involves you."

"Of course, we could use a little background. Who are you, when did you arrive in town, what do you do for a living, any association or activity that you find yourself involved in?" He pauses fo a moment, then continues. "More in particular, we need to ascertain why a group of assassins would target you, of all people. I'll be the first to admit that they might have been acting on spoofed divinations, but I'd like to make sure. Does anything comes to mind?". He switches to speaking to Rosa for a moment: "While she speaks, perhaps you could check the mirror for... inconsistencies? Perhaps have a smoke too, if the lady allows?"
    My day job is killing me. But I will rise again, more powerful than ever!

PbP: Sky Captain (IC|OOC) - The Warlock of Monte Cristo (IC|OOC)
    Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

3. - Top - End - #453
    Bugbear in the Playground

The maid takes a small sip of her brandy and nods along to the explanations provided.

"Ah, ah, so you're some sort of... uh, special watch commission, then? Alright. My name is Miriam Tafstod, Miriam will do fine."

Quote Originally Posted by iTookUrNick View Post
    He turns to the maid "Well, yes: I did say companions. You should pay attention."
    'Miriam' bristles at César's comment. She huffs loudly and retorts: "I was attacked in my bed by shadowy, dagger wielding killers! Of course I'm not going to remember every little detail of what you said! I'm doing my best to hold it together!" The maid's eyes begin to well up with the beginnings of tears, but she takes a deep breath and fights them back.

"I moved to Port Blacksand five months ago, last fall. I'm from a town far to the west, called Briar, if you've heard of it. I had a falling out with a few folk and needed to look for new work, and I ended up here. Apart from the killers, it could have been a lot worse, I suppose. The folk at the Yellow House are nice enough, and I've got spinning and darning work here on the side. The only 'association' I've got is with my employers at the House, I guess, and the few folk coming in here looking for me to do some work. I've not noticed anything out of place when it come to them. As for why I seem to have been targeted by cloaked killers in the night, I don't know. You're the watch, ain't you? Maybe you should find out."

As Miriam speaks, she glances occasionally about the workshop, taking small sips of her brandy. Her left hand fidgets with the end of her braided belt in her lap.

"Y'know, its late, maybe I could talk to you later...?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

I'd like Wisdom (Insight) checks from the three of you as well as general Intelligence checks.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    GMing: City of Thieves (IC|OOC)
    PbP: Bobin (IC|OOC)

4. - Top - End - #454
    Banned

Spoiler: Checks
    Show

(1d20+1)[18] Intelligence
    (1d20)[4] Wisdom

Since neither of these can really be solved by Rage or bravado, I fully expect to fail =)

Borgrim ponders deeply how he can help here. In social situations, unless intimidation is called for, he usually gets by drinking, shouting and dancing, maybe singing a loose translation of one of his tribal drinking songs. None of that necessarily endears him to people around him, but it's fun, it get's noticed, and often that's enough to work with.

But in this case, the lady might be lying - or telling the truth. Borgrim rarely pays enough attention, or cares enough to notice, which puts him at a disadvantage in situations like this. But hey - if it works with one hag, why wouldn't it work with another?

Well, what can I say, miss Miryam - Port Blacksand is lucky to find such a pretty gem washed up on it's shore, and Briar the poorer for it.

He gives his wide, slightly toothy smile - beaming an open innocence that somehow almost succeeds in compensating for his coarse and clumsy manners.
    Last edited by Kaptin Keen; 2020-03-01 at 04:13 PM.

5. - Top - End - #455
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Int - (1d20+3)[9]
    Wis - (1d20+1)[7]

Rosa rolls her eyes at the handmaid's tale. "Yeah yeah, everyone's got a sad story. Looks like you stole a page from mine."

At, last Rosa sits on the offered tool, stretching her legs. She looks at the liquor glass with disapproval, and downs it anyways. As Borgrim tries, once again, to be the center of attention, she fishes in her pack for the wrapped mirror. With half a smile she uncovers just a corner of the contraption, and leaning back on her stool, searches for an angle showing a reflection of Myriam's face. Mirror, mirror, show us who's the fairest maiden of them all... whispers the Joker in Rosa's ear.
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

6. - Top - End - #456
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    int - (1d20+1)[15] insight - (1d20+3)[13]
    Cesar needs to know about the mirror before committing to a course of action.

Cesar is surprised at the strong reaction of the maid "Miss... Miriam, I did not mean to be reproachful. If my words have bothered you, I apologise." he says, putting a hand on her shoulder in a comforting fashion.
    He continues to listen and nod to her tale, encouraging her to let it all out. Meanwhile, he sometimes looks for clues from Rosa and her mirror.
    "I assure you that we are looking at this very closely. Any information that we gather might be useful for the ongoing investigation. Have faith, Miss Tafstod."

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

7. - Top - End - #457

Miriam's demeanour quickle changes and she smiles at Borgrim. "Oh, you're too kind! Really, I don't mean to snap, but it's one of those nights..."

Spoiler: Borgrim and César
    Show

As they talk, Borgrim and César begin to notice more details about the workshop. Borgim eyes the large black spinning wheel in the corner and the wool half-spun upon it. At least, he thought it was wool, but now... no, definitely not. In fact, the material begins to glint and shift as Borgrim stares at it, and the hairs on the back of his neck begin to stand up. His nostrils catch a hint of an unknown smell, but one that immediately brings to mind a single word: Sorcery.

César's eyes catch upon strange variations on the plaster walls. At first they simply seem to be the flickering of the lamp light. But either César's innate connection with magic, or a subtle hint from his Raven Queen patron, reveals their true nature: faintly etched runes and sigils, no doubt some sort of warding magic, hidden beneath a thin layer of paint.

César focuses once more on Miriam and tries to determine the truth behind her words. The maid is difficult to read, however, and she appears to be telling the truth, or is a well-practiced liar.

As Borgrim and César alternately engage with Miriam and glance about the workshop, Rosa surreptitiously angles the mirror to get a look at the maid. It takes a little bit of finessing in the low light without making it obvious. A few moments of sidelong glances finally reward her Miriam's true form:

Spoiler: Rosa
    Show

Rosa pans the mirror, first seeing a taloned foot peeking out beneath the hem of a dark, reddish-brown robe. Working up reveals not a young handmaid but a blue-purple skinned humanoid figure with sharp, angled features (vaguely elvish?) and a cat-like smile, complete with bright, razor teeth. Blood red eyes stare out from below two large, curled and curving horns. A mass of oily black hair falls past the creature's robed shoulders along her back. Long, almost delicate fingers end in needle-sharp iron claws. Quite different in appearance to the sea hag sisters, but most certainly the Hag y Nos, the night hag.

Quote Originally Posted by iTookUrNick
    "I assure you that we are looking at this very closely. Any information that we gather might be useful for the ongoing investigation. Have faith, Miss Tafstod."
    "That's very reassuring, thank you. I'm frazzled, that's all, and I'm sorry I don't know anything about the killers. I'd really like to help..."
    Show

8. - Top - End - #458
    Ogre in the Playground

Rosa calmly wraps back the mirror and puts in it place. "So, Myriam... I hate to be the bad cop here, but let us get our facts straight, alright?"

Rosa takes a deep breath in, letting it known she's both out of patience and in for a long speech.

"We're after those crow cultists. While trailing them, we found a black hair they used during a dark ritual, probably to locate its owner. After analysis of an occult nature, said hair turned out to be from one, what was the correct turn of phrase, ah yes, Hag y Nos I believe. Said hair also turned out, after some further divination, to be yours. Now, this may all well be a big misunderstanding, why not. Who cares about the specifics? I don't. However, these crow idiots will certainly come at you again. You can decide to be helpful now and aim us at them, or you can decide to make another enemy. Your choice. Keep in mind that, for one, we know more about you than you know about us, two, we have some serious magical backup, three, we just took out three trained killers and a wizard without breaking a sweat, all the while managing not to loose your trail. You may think these are threats but, in all honesty, all this is just stating facts. It's late. All I want from you is a nudge in the right direction. Then we go home and you can go back playing house-maid or do whatever you were doing."

She finishes with a weary sigh, as if to add, well, at least I've tried.

Show
    Help on this roll would be welcome: Persuasion - (1d20+2)[9], Extra - (1d20+2)[17].

9. - Top - End - #459
    Ogre in the Playground

"My friend here is correct. You would do well not to underestimate us or try to play us for fools, Miss, yet we are not you enemies. We are not after the small fishes, we have a specific goal in mind and we can reward whoever helps us reach that goal. You have the potential to be a valuable asset in my eyes. Do not make yourself a liability instead."
    Spoiler: Roll
    Show
    persuasion - (1d20+6)[7] to help/ get help from Rosa

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

10. - Top - End - #460
    Banned

Aww! Borgrim hangs his head, and his shoulders slump, as he realises we're abandoning the diplomatic route - but then he bounces back with a bright smile as he remembers, I'm really no good at diplomacy anyways.

I am Borgrim, called Wyldstrike, and Grim Leaper - and this is Hastings, babtised in the blood of mine enemies, he says as he holds up his oversized 2-hander, know that none have stood against us and lived. We do not threaten, but merely inform: The future is brief and predictable to all who oppose us.

Show

So ... can Indimidate be used to assist Persuasion? I realise it's not designed that way, but isn't that the whole idea of the good cop/bad cop thing?

DiploIntimidate: (1d20+1)[7] or, alternatively, +4 if the hulking barbarian is allowed to use Strength as the basis of his intimidation, rather than his social graces.

Bah! The dice gods hate us.

Or they're trying to tell us to just end the witch. Borgrim suspects the latter. Foul sorcery must be punished.
    Last edited by Kaptin Keen; 2020-03-08 at 04:11 AM.

11. - Top - End - #461

Miriam looks to César and then Rosa in turn. Both catch the briefest glint of fiery light deep within the maid's eyes, and then her demeanour shifts. The worried, harried expression drops entirely from her face, leaving a blank coldness. Her shoulders seem to settle and her back straightens. The workshop walls give the impression of closing in, just slightly, as the oil lamp wavers and then evens out.

All pretence dropped, 'Miriam' holds up a hand. "Sit down, Master Borgrim. The 'jig is up', as they say, and there is no need for further threats. Indeed, I am not a humble maidservant, but rather what young Mistress Rosa stated: a Night Hag, in the local tongue. The other part of my tale is not far from the truth, however. I did flee from Briar, in the west, though it was the crow cult, as you call them, who hunted me. I hid from them for a time, but as you can see, they've tracked me down once more.

As for help, I don't know where in the city they roost. But I can tell you a little of what they are after. They pursue creatures such as myself, as well as all manner of what you might call monsters, or spirits, or demons, in order to extract their soul-stuff. To do what with, I can't be certain... probably eat it or something, Hells if I know. They also seek out soul-stuff from other sources. Which I suspect is why they've run into trouble with some of the gangs here in Blacksand, as there seems to be some sort of illicit soul trading going on, if you weren't aware.
    "

The Hag y Nos tilts her head and shrugs an eyebrow. "That's about all I know about the crow cult, specifically. If I knew a little more about what exactly you're after I might be able to offer more... a wizard, you say? The old geezer under the bridge? Ha! I knew there was something peculiar about that tent, though he shrouds it well. No doubt he's the one who keeps those two 'aunties' down in the sewer in check..."
    Show

12. - Top - End - #462
    Banned

What is your name, lady night hag - and why are you here?

Assuming it's not myriam, that is.
    Last edited by Kaptin Keen; 2020-03-14 at 04:46 AM.

13. - Top - End - #463
    Ogre in the Playground

The whole atmosphere wasn't certainly helping, but Rosa shivers at the mention of souls. Someone here is searching for a pathway to transcendence: An ambition you sorely lack, girl, whispers the Master.

Borgrim's voice brings Rosa back to her sense. With both distress and anger, she punches Borgrim in the shoulder. "Ouch!"

Rosa waves her hurting hand in the hair. "What are orcs made of? Bricks? And would you stop flirting with every and each and all of the ladies we meet? This is not a fancy debutante ball or something. Serious matters are being discussed!"

Rosa turns back to the hag and clears her throat. "Sorry, miss. Back to business. So you believe those night attacks on so-called shipments are the symptoms of competition over an illicit soul market... Rosa lets her voice trail, as her question was mostly rhetorical. "Does the name Zanbar Bone ring a bell?"

14. - Top - End - #464
    Ogre in the Playground

César slowly digests what the Night Hag is saying. He is still thinking things through when Rosa speaks and reveals their true target. He was not sure if he would have done the same, but the point is moot now that the cat is out of the bag. He listen to what the hag has to say about the villain.

"We'll be looking into the soul market soon enough then. Soul trading is not what you want to overlook in a city, but this might be a chance to disrupt both the traders and the crow people."

"The cult might still try and get you later, by the way. You should consider getting under our protection. Or setting up a counter-ambush, if you feel bold enough" he says. Turning for a moment towards Rosa and Borgrim: "It might be good to warn the other two hags as well."

"Oh, and the wizard under the bridge is actually an ally of ours. Please let him be."

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

15. - Top - End - #465
    Banned

Soul trade sounds like sorcery, but otherwise is above Borgrim's pay grade. He would stop it on general principles, without any real need to understand the concepts behind it.

Still ...

Flirting? Really, Rosa, you cannot be jealous - we're not involved in any way. And being polite is not the same as flirting.

I'd like to form a full picture here. So someone is trading souls? That .. sounds like something we should stop.

I'd still like to know what our new friend here,
    he gestures at the night hag, is doing .. and her name. It's only polite - we've introduced ourselves.

16. - Top - End - #466
    Ogre in the Playground

"Me... Jealous?!... I... I..." Rosa turns as red as her dark tone of skin can let appear, evidently in anger —but maybe even a little disgust— as shown by her features contorting in various ways, from wide eyed terror to scowl to pout.

She settles on crossing her arms and silently, deliberately, looking away from Borgrim.

17. - Top - End - #467
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingTheShade View Post
    "Me... Jealous?!... I... I..." Rosa turns as red as her dark tone of skin can let appear, evidently in anger —but maybe even a little disgust— as shown by her features contorting in various ways, from wide eyed terror to scowl to pout.

She settles on crossing her arms and silently, deliberately, looking away from Borgrim.
    Borgrim may be simple, but that's not necessarily the same as stupid. He smiles, then winks at Rosa:

Of course, when two such attractive specimens as you and I meet, some ... friction is to expected. Some sparks may fly. But perhaps for now we should stick to the matter at hand?

18. - Top - End - #468

"The cult might still try and get you later, by the way. You should consider getting under our protection. Or setting up a counter-ambush, if you feel bold enough" he says. Turning for a moment towards Rosa and Borgrim: "It might be good to warn the other two hags as well."

"Oh, and the wizard under the bridge is actually an ally of ours. Please let him be."
    The hag's face remains unreadable. She raises a hand and shakes her head.

"I'll be safe enough here, at least for a little while. This place is more secure than it looks. If you can track down the cult and position yourselves favourably, I might be convinced to lend a hand to an ambush. It would have to be a certain thing, however. I've nearly finished my preparations, so I'd just as soon leave this city when they are complete, than throw it all away for some reckless fight."

A small smile creeps into the corner of her mouth. "Worry not, I've a hard and fast rule not to meddle with wizards."

Rosa turns back to the hag and clears her throat. "Sorry, miss. Back to business. So you believe those night attacks on so-called shipments are the symptoms of competition over an illicit soul market... Rosa lets her voice trail, as her question was mostly rhetorical. "Does the name Zanbar Bone ring a bell?"
    Miriam nods, her eyes lingering for a moment on Rosa's half-hidden horns. "That is what drives the cultists; a hunger for souls, either trapped, or ripped from violently from creatures such as myself. I don't see any other reason for them to quarrel with the underbelly of the city." She shrugs. "But I've been hiding from them... so I haven't been able to spy on their every move."

Miriam's eyes give the faintest flicker in the lamp-light at the mention of Zanbar Bone. She runs a finger hesitantly across her lower lip.

"The name doesn't mean much to me, but I can sense the creature you mean. Yes, the intent behind your words... I keep a careful watch over the creatures who travel through the Ethereal, and I've taken note of this 'Zanbar Bone'. He and some of his hound-beasts have made a few trips in the last few weeks. I don't know their intent, however. Again, I've been doing my best to keep my presence hidden."

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptin Keen View Post
    I'd still like to know what our new friend here,[/COLOR] he gestures at the night hag, is doing .. and her name. It's only polite - we've introduced ourselves.
    The hag finally turns to Borgrim, giving him an empty smile.

"As I've said, I travelled here from Briar, in order to escape the cult that you have now encountered. They followed me, and I have been making my preparations to leave this city and attempt to elude the cult once more. Oh, and 'Miriam' will do just fine. I seem to have grown rather fond of it."
    Show

19. - Top - End - #469
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wogwoggle View Post
    The hag finally turns to Borgrim, giving him an empty smile.

"As I've said, I travelled here from Briar, in order to escape the cult that you have now encountered. They followed me, and I have been making my preparations to leave this city and attempt to elude the cult once more. Oh, and 'Miriam' will do just fine. I seem to have grown rather fond of it."
    Still pretending to ignore him, Rosa watches Borgrim from the corner of her eye, a smug smile creeping at the corner of her mouth. She suppresses a chuckle with a cough.

20. - Top - End - #470
    Banned

Miriam, eh? Well, while a pretty name it hardly does you justice - but I suppose you guard your real name closely. It will do.

So you're just an innocent victim then? Fleeing the Crow cult, seeking safety, gainful employment, bread on the table and a roof over your head?

21. - Top - End - #471
    Ogre in the Playground

The hag's face remains unreadable. She raises a hand and shakes her head.

"I'll be safe enough here, at least for a little while. This place is more secure than it looks. If you can track down the cult and position yourselves favourably, I might be convinced to lend a hand to an ambush. It would have to be a certain thing, however. I've nearly finished my preparations, so I'd just as soon leave this city when they are complete, than throw it all away for some reckless fight."

A small smile creeps into the corner of her mouth. "Worry not, I've a hard and fast rule not to meddle with wizards."
    "Oh, it looks mightily secure. I can sense the enchantments. If you do decide to skip town, we might just ask you to leave this place for us to use as a secure shelter." says César, thinking about the runes.
    "Still, if I were you I'd rather strike at my enemies than flee, given a reasonable chance of success, which we will, react assured."

He is taken by surprise about what she says about Bones: "Bones, here?" he asks, incredulous. He ponders. "We should look into that, but I fear defending ourself and this city from Ethereal incursions might be beyond anyone's capability."

"We should regroup with our wizard ally and formulate a new plan of action. Se if any of our other leads has turned up t be worthwhile." he proposes the rest.

Show
    5E is just similar enough to blindside you with its differences, apparently.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

22. - Top - End - #472
    Ogre in the Playground

"Oh, it looks mightily secure. I can sense the enchantments. If you do decide to skip town, we might just ask you to leave this place for us to use as a secure shelter." says César, thinking about the runes.
    Enchantements? That borrower of power is more perceptive than you, girl, taunts the Master inside Rosa's ear. She winces, and looks around the room, trying to figure it what's going on.

"Still, if I were you I'd rather strike at my enemies than flee, given a reasonable chance of success, which we will, react assured."
    Rosa gives a nod to Myriam. "You can take it how you want, but I now something about running away from monsters. I'm not from around here either. In your shoes, I'd rather become their nightmare than letting them be mine," Rosa's smile starts wan, but soon becomes feral.

"We should regroup with our wizard ally and formulate a new plan of action. Se if any of our other leads has turned up t be worthwhile." he proposes the rest.
    Again, Rosa nods her assent, this time silently.

Show
    Persuasion - (1d20+2)[6] (Extra - (1d20+2)[13]) to persuade Miriam to fight back.

23. - Top - End - #473

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptin Keen View Post
    So you're just an innocent victim then? Fleeing the Crow cult, seeking safety, gainful employment, bread on the table and a roof over your head?
    Miriam gives a sly shrug. "Not the words I would choose, but that's the gist of it, yes."

"If I skip town, I won't be around to stop you, so be my guest. And if you are dead-set on seeking out the cult, then I'll be moving on shortly if you succeed. And in that case, consider it a gift."

At the mention of runes, Rosa studies the walls more closely. Looking at them with new information slowly reveals faint patterns, unmistakably of a magical nature, well hidden by the layer of paint covering them. The overall pattern reminds her of the wards guarding Nicodemus' townhouse, though the smaller shapes are distinctly different.

He is taken by surprise about what she says about Bones: "Bones, here?" he asks, incredulous. He ponders. "We should look into that, but I fear defending ourself and this city from Ethereal incursions might be beyond anyone's capability."
    Miriam raises an interrupting finger. "Ah, I wouldn't say 'here', exactly. More that I've sensed the creature's presence as it moved about in the Ethereal. I'm not sure how close, or how often he's come to the city on his moonlit jaunts."

Rosa gives a nod to Myriam. "You can take it how you want, but I know something about running away from monsters. I'm not from around here either. In your shoes, I'd rather become their nightmare than letting them be mine," Rosa's smile starts wan, but soon becomes feral.
    "Hmm. Alright, it doesn't cost me much to offer some aid. And I may be willing to get my hands dirty once you've got a definite bead on their leader, or leaders. Just like a snake, cut off the cult's head and the rest will not worry you. I just haven't been willing to risk trying it alone."

Miriam gazes intently at Rosa as she speaks. The corner of her mouth curves into a subtle smile, and the fire deep within her eyes flares briefly once more. She then straightens up and edges over toward the spinning wheel. She gathers up what appears to be a skein of silvery spun wool, coiling it in her hands. Wisps of grey smoke rise as the skein shifts in the lamplight, taking on the appearance of a fine, silvery chain. Miriam offers the coil to Rosa, and speaks:

"When commanded, this chain will leap towards its quarry and attempt to bind it. It should prevent any sort of magical jaunting or hoping while they are ensnared." She turns toward César, and pulls a plain brass key from a pocket. "If you've got the chance, take this -- and a letter I'll write in a moment -- to the Yellow House and the doorman, Hugo, will fetch a jewelry box I've left there. You can make use of the contents as you see fit. Just be sure to unlock the box with this key, or things will end badly."

Miriam moves to behind the workbench, producing a piece of parchment and a quill. She scribbles a hurried note, folds it, pulls a bit of wax from another pocket, and seals the letter. She hands it to César with a nod. "Goodnight, then. Keep an eye out."
    Last edited by Woggle; 2020-03-24 at 08:46 PM.
    Show

24. - Top - End - #474
    Banned

Borgrim is rather unconvinced any night hag is simply looking for peace, quiet and 'gainful employment' - whatever that might entail to such a creature. Surely not a job as seamstress. But as the group is being ejected, all he has time to utter is 'but ... um ...?!'

Once out in the street, he will mutter to Rosa and César I don't feel we're much the wiser. I suppose we should pick up Miriam's box, and personally I'd like a word with Hugo. Among other puzzlements, it seems unlikely the average seamstress can afford to keep a doorman. Nor that the average doorman would fight with quite such determination. He might have a bit of barbarian blood in him.

25. - Top - End - #475
    Ogre in the Playground

"When commanded, this chain will leap towards its quarry and attempt to bind it. It should prevent any sort of magical jaunting or hoping while they are ensnared."
    "Similar to a norn weaving fate's own thread..." Rosa takes the silver chain and folds it into hoops before slipping it inside her left sleeve. She gives a silent, grateful nod, looking delibarately into Miriam's eyes.

Once outside, she rolls her eyes at Borgrim's conjectures about the doorman. "Alright, let's go, we don't have time."

(Unbeknownst to her, Mao the cat has not only caught up, but started pawing at a silvery thread dangling from her left sleeve.)

26. - Top - End - #476

Borgrim, Rosa, and César tread back along Winding Street, the air cool and still in the wee hours. There is no sign of the watch as the three approach the yellow-doored house. No sign, either, of the would-be assassins. A small patch of discoloured cobblestone is the only clue left hinting at the nights violent events.

César hesitates a moment before rapping on the yellow door. A stern voice, recognizably that of the brash doorman, calls out:

"Who knocks at this damnable hour!? We've had an dreadful night, what business have you here?" A small slat in the door slides to reveal the capped, bleary-eyed doorman peering out into the street with a small lamp. He spies César's watch uniform, and frowns. He then takes the offered letter. The lamp lowers, but the doorman can be heard behind the door mumbling through the contents of the letter. The lamp rises back to the gap and the doorman offers a "I'll be just a moment, kindly wait here."

The slat slides back into place, and the doorman's steps can be heard tramping up a set of stairs. After a minute or two of waiting in the stillness of the empty street, the trio hear the doorman return. This time the door opens and the doorman steps out with an unadorned jewelry box. He offers the box, then nods to César. "Do send the maid our regards, if you chance to see her again. The mistress was more than satisfied with the work she did, and always punctual, too. But of course, I understand her not wanting to return, not after being awoken in the middle of the night by such dreadful creatures! Now, I wish you goodnight."

The doorman doesn't give much room for a reply. He quickly steps across the threshold and closes the door behind him. A bar can be heard being put into place, then a long yawn.

The rest of the walk back to Nicodemus' is quiet and uneventful. When Borgrim, Rosa, and César arrive, Nicodemus is asleep in his chair, his pipe laid out beside him. He raises a single finger to indicate the doors to the washrooms. "You'll find... beds through the doors... sleep well... hurmph..." The old wizard snuffles but never opens his eyes.

Through the doors are small but mightily comfortable cots, each covered by a down-filled quilt. Sleep claims all three the moment they close their eyes.

In the morning the trio awake to find Nicodemus absent. The jewelry box and its key sit on a small table, accompanied by a carefully closed leather pouch and a note written on a piece of parchment. The note reads:

I took the liberty of borrowing a few black pearls from the box. The pouch contains the finished powder necessary to permanently defeat Zanbar Bone. Do be careful with it. I've left to restock my supply of tobacco, and shall return.

Nicodemus

Show

If the box is opened, it will reveal:
    • A pouch with a single black pearl (presumably it contained more at some point)
    • A black figurine of a horse
    • A carefully preserved caterpillar cocoon
    • 50 gold pieces worth of bits of jewelry

If you like we can assume that you spend a few minutes to fetch your silvered weapons from the silversmith: Borgrim's greatsword, and a dagger and 5 bolts for Rosa.
    Last edited by Woggle; 2020-03-29 at 11:15 PM.
    Show

27. - Top - End - #477
    Ogre in the Playground

"Well, a girl needs her beauty sleep... Don't know about you guys, but it's been a while I slept so well." Rosa yawn and stretches.

"Borgrim, if you'd be so nice and make yourself useful, please go fetch those silver weapons. Gnomes are creepy already and I think that one was leering or something. Maybe drooling too, at some point? I'm going to do foul magic here and you don't want to be around anyways."

Rosa extricates a piece of pipe-coal and a sheet of goat smelling velum from Nicodemus' mess. She opens the box, empties its contents on the velum, adds the woven silvery chain, and starts drawing simple diagrams around them. She mumbles a dark and onimous chant soon reprised by barely audible otherwordly voices. That last bit is useless from an arcane standpoint, but might well be useful to deter morning conversation by Borgrim.

After identifying the box's contents, Rosa frowns, looking at the piece of pipe-coal in her hand. She lights her pipe and searches for Nicodemus' scent.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Ritual casting Identify on the box contents and the chain (just checking the latter isn't cursed or something) + using Thaumaturgy for mood effects and to mess with Borgrim's head.

Curious about Niccodemus' action last night and early morning.

Spoiler: Gnomes
    Show
    Also, Gnomes are creepy, aren't they?
    Last edited by WalkingTheShade; 2020-03-30 at 03:53 AM.

28. - Top - End - #478

One by one, the items laid out on the velum reveal their secrets to Rosa:

Spoiler: Identified Items
    Show

• Chain of Binding. Speak its command, make an attack (Dex + Prof) against a creature within 20 feet. With a successful hit, the chain will snake out and the target is Restrained. A DC 20 Strength check will break the chains. While Restrained, the target is forced to make a DC 15 Dexterity saving throw whenever it attempts to use a magic teleporting/blinking effect. A failure will result in the magic having no effect. Even if the target succeeds, the chains will travel with the target. Once used, the chains cannot be used again until the next dawn.
    • Obsidian Mare (Cursed). A small figurine of a Nightmare. Speaking its command and tossing it to an unoccupied space will transform the figurine into a Nightmare for 24 hours. The Nightmare will not obey any commands, and while not immediately hostile, will defend itself. Once used, the figurine cannot be used again for a week.
    • A black pearl. Mundane, but valued as a source of luck and as an alchemical ingredient.
    • A caterpillar cocoon. Mundane. Possibly used as a magical ingredient?
    • Warded Jewelry Box. When closed and locked, will release a thunderous shockwave (Thunderwave) if any attempt to open the box in any way other than with its key.

Once Rosa is done with the items, she produces her pipe. She inhales and the room begins to dim about her. She focuses on the immediately apparent scent of Nicodemus' own tobacco. The tendrils of its smell twist about, beginning to coalesce into an image...

Then, like a great wave crashing on the shore, a riot of scents and stimuli wash over Rosa, drowning out any hope of latching on to any one smell individually. The scent of magic swirls and cavorts chaotically about her, blinding her to all else. Her head spins and for a moment she fears she may be sick, but at last the bedlam about her begins to settle. Nicodemus' smoke solidifies into a form resembling the wizard. While she can't make out its face, Rosa gets the very strong impression the smoke figure is smilling. From a great distance Nicodemus' voice speaks:

"Now now, Rosa, I do value my privacy, as I'm sure you're aware. Best put the pipe away for now, hmm? Worry not, I'm quite alright, I just needed to get out and stretch my legs."

As the voice fades, so too does the smoke figure. Rosa rouses from her reverie to find herself slumped back in her chair.

Show

If either Borgrim or César were about they would have watched Rosa fall into her familiar reverie, but this time much deeper. And when the smoke figure of Nicodemus appeared, they would have seen the same figure materialize before Rosa, and also would have heard it speak.
    Show

29. - Top - End - #479
    Banned

Oh! A fetch quest? Why, of course, your ladyship ...

Borgrim would object on principle - except that it suits his purposes just fine to have a little walk around town without the other two looking over his shoulder. So much so, his big, bright smile may well cause Rosa to consider what else he might get up to, while without supervision.

I will indeed make myself useful, and go fetch our weapons. I do consider gnomes to be fine individuals - excellent craftsmen and traders, reliable, meticulous, less greedy than dwarves.

Borgrims mind is already brimming with plans: Fetch the earrings, give them to the girl, get laid, get drunk, get in a fight, steal some stuff - maybe have an exhilerating chase with the city guard. His whistling and high spirits as he leaves the tent will easily fill Rosa with inner dread.

30. - Top - End - #480
    Ogre in the Playground

As a Watchman leading a double life, César is quite apt at going to sleep and getting up in 0 seconds flat.
    As the others get up, he does the same, only to sneak in a power nap right after. You never know when you are going to need an extra ounce of wakefulness. He finally rises as Rosa finishes his identification ritual. He goes to her, asking "So, anything useful?". He looks around, reads the Wizard's note, then asks a second question: "Uhm, I wonder how long that is going to take. Well, at least we have what we really need now." Finally, he realises there's only two of them: "Wait, did you send the big guy out alone?

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika