New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Funeral of a Friend (Pathfinder 1.0 IC)

"For dealing with the scouts, I suggest we use something that can take them out in a single move. Unfortunately, I dont know anything that might be able to assist on the matter." Brac brings up. He wonders about sneaking. "I dont know how we should sneak around. Maybe, I could take my Wolf form but it could end up backfiring if they see me as a threat…."
    Thanks to linklele for the amazing avvy.
    Quote Originally Posted by jidasfire View Post
    On a long enough scale, every OOTS forum discussion turns into a debate about alignment, Miko, or Familicide.
    or Star Wars.
    Spoiler: Easydamus result
    Show

Neutral Good Human Paladin/Cleric (3rd/2nd Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-15 Dexterity-13 Constitution-14
    Intelligence-16 Wisdom-17 Charisma-14
    Alignment: Neutral Good

2. - Top - End - #212
    Ogre in the Playground

"We need to find their scouts and take them out... quietly," the Sarenite replied, glancing about as she contemplated the best ways to use the ground to complicate matters for the enemy. Her training in fortifications would surely be of some use here, given that they had a little time. "Lenna, do you think you can find them? Perhaps we could set an ambush..."

3. - Top - End - #213
    Ogre in the Playground

(1d20+4)[10] to assess area to determine appropriate field fortifications that could be helpful

4. - Top - End - #214
    Bugbear in the Playground

"Hmm. There is some divine power I can use to protect me from prying eyes, but I would have to do that part alone."

She fiddles with her holy symbol, staring down the path the water takes, nervous about how strange this all is.

"Do you want me to scout ahead?"

5. - Top - End - #215
    Ogre in the Playground

"I could scout ahead, as well," Tesselin volunteers. "I am light on my feet, after all..." he adds, indication the swirling blue patterns on his skin.
    S C R E A M I N G is always a free action.

If you don't have a group that supports you - if you instead have a group that judges you - find a different group, trust me. It's not worth your life to waste it on a bunch of hyenas who serve no value to you aside from keeping you down. Everyone deserves to have a say at the table regardless of how they do it.

-Guy, "How to be a Great Game Master"

6. - Top - End - #216
    Troll in the Playground

Brac knows that he is better for combat than stealth. At the very least, it sounded better to leave it to the experts. "I am fine with this suggestion. Just be careful. We need to take advantage of the enemy not knowing of our position." Brac shared his thoughts with the rest. At least he knew he could handle combat if it became necessary.
    Thanks to linklele for the amazing avvy.
    Quote Originally Posted by jidasfire View Post
    On a long enough scale, every OOTS forum discussion turns into a debate about alignment, Miko, or Familicide.
    or Star Wars.
    Spoiler: Easydamus result
    Show

Neutral Good Human Paladin/Cleric (3rd/2nd Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-15 Dexterity-13 Constitution-14
    Intelligence-16 Wisdom-17 Charisma-14
    Alignment: Neutral Good

7. - Top - End - #217

"Alright, you two scout ahead, see what we are up against. We will try to find a good location for an ambush while we wait.

As for their scouts, my powers will probably let me take a couple of them out quickly if they get close enough. It won't exactly be discreet, though, so it's only an option if the main force is still a good distance away."

8. - Top - End - #218
    Ogre in the Playground

Tesselin nods. He looks to Lenna. "I'll take the left side of the bridge, you take the right?" he suggests. Once this is agreed upon, he slips forward among the trees, walking quietly as he can manage and keeping low to the ground.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Stealth - (1d20+12)[27] plus Inspiration - (1d6)[2]

EDIT: That'll be a 29. Yay Tess!
    Last edited by hannahbbug3; 2019-07-04 at 08:07 AM.

If you don't have a group that supports you - if you instead have a group that judges you - find a different group, trust me. It's not worth your life to waste it on a bunch of hyenas who serve no value to you aside from keeping you down. Everyone deserves to have a say at the table regardless of how they do it.

9. - Top - End - #219

Lenna takes a brief moment to pray to her deity, hand clutching the holy symbol of the hunter, before swiftly shuffling forwards on the right.

Show
    Lenna casts Blend, so a +4 to stealth for the next 30 minutes, and can hide without cover and concealment so long as she's going slow about it.

Stealth Rolls! (1d20+14)[23]

10. - Top - End - #220
    Ogre in the Playground

Tesselin and Lenna advance ahead of the hobgoblin force, making their way to cover near the bridge. The hobgoblin scouts advance across the field slowly, and none of them notice the two adventurers making their way to head them off. The scouts in fact seem pretty lax and exhausted. They are complaining and taking off their boots, sitting down, and griping loudly. There are five scouts ahead of the main force, settled in at the bridge, talking to each other and planning how to settle up camp. The main force is not in sight yet, still far enough away that their torches cannot be seen in the growing darkness. If the group is to take down the scouts, now is the time, or time to hide out so the camp can be spied on later.

Erica sets up a few basic fortifications in the trees- simple wooden constructs that will provide light cover from ranged attacks or melee if the position is held. If the larger force comes to bear, it will also give time to retreat.
    The Bear is Back.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Ogre in the Playground

Erica stands by, her work complete...

I'm good to proceed to an attack on these scouts, unless our ambushers want to do it!

12. - Top - End - #222

Assuming the scouts return with the information, Hector responds eagerly:

"I say we ambush them as quickly as possible! The more we can take out away from the main force, the easier this will be! Maybe those of us who are best at staying silent try to get close for the initial strike, while the others circle around them and cut off their escape route?"

13. - Top - End - #223
    Ogre in the Playground

A strange breeze seems to stir after a moment, and Tesselin exhales under his breath a few words that make their way to Lenna's ears. "Shall we strike?" he asks, glancing in the direction he knows the elf to be. The channel of wind remains for a moment or two longer, allowing enough time for Lenna to respond with a 'yes' or 'no.' Even as he waits, however, he slowly readies his bow.

Spoiler: Using This
    Show
    Wind-Carried Voices (Sylph)
    You are a master of seeing through falsehoods and sharing secrets—the wind itself seems to carry your voice to those you trust.
    Benefit(s): You gain a +1 trait bonus on Sense Motive checks to tell when someone is lying to you. Additionally, at will, as long as you are outdoors or in an area where there is noticeable air movement, you can whisper to any creature from up to 30 feet away. You can only designate one person in sight to hear your voice, and nearby creatures can hear these messages with a successful DC 20 Perception check. This is an extraordinary ability that otherwise functions as message.

14. - Top - End - #224

It takes those two moments for Tesselin to hear the response as Lenna sizes up the situation, drawing her bow and whispering the swiftest of prayers to let her aim be true. Letting her focus on the goblins wane for but a moment to allow the predator to shine through.

What Tesselin hears from the northern elf as she lets loose an arrow is meant to only compliment her ideal answer.

"Let the hunt begin."

Show
    Lenna is going to spend one minute of her animal focus to grant her a +2 to Dexterity then shoot an arrow at one of these scouts with Deadly Aim.

(1d20+6)[17] vs AC for (1d8+4)[5] Not sure if I get much from stealth, as I completely forget about that kind of thing at the moment. lol.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Ogre in the Playground

As soon as Tesselin sees that arrow cut loose, he fires his own, aiming for a different target than Lenna.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Attack - (1d20+6)[10]
    Damage - (1d6+1)[4]

16. - Top - End - #226
    Ogre in the Playground

Lenna's arrow flies true and strikes a hobgoblin across his throat, opening up a severe cut but not quite putting him down immediately. Tesselin's arrow strikes a hobgoblin in the chest, but it becomes apparent that it lodged in his armor rather than piercing through. The hobgoblins raise an alarm among themselves and are ready to do battle!

Show
    Initiative time. I'm ruling that if the rest of the party wants to jump in they will come in at the end of the order, since it will take a double move action to get into the fight. The current order is-

Tesselin- 25
    --------
    Hobgoblins- 16
    -------
    Lenna- 11
    Rest of the party, in any order
    The Bear is Back.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Ogre in the Playground

As Tesselin's arrow strikes, he grins - only for it to fade as he realizes no damage was done. He swiftly draws and aims another arrow, letting it fly at the same hobgoblin. This time, he hopes, he'll do better.

Show
    Attack - (1d20+6)[18]
    Damage - (1d6+1)[4]

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ogre in the Playground

Bump - I think its the DMs init?

19. - Top - End - #229
    Ogre in the Playground

Tesselin's arrow strikes true this time at the hobgoblin falls to his knees, holding the arrow and bellowing loudly. The other four hobgoblins draw bows and return fire at their assailants, not realizing that they are flanked by the rest of the party in the trees. The volley of arrows peppers down on both Tesselin and Lenna, cutting them both.

Show
    Tesselin takes 3 damage, Lenna takes 5. One arrow hit apiece.
    The Bear is Back.

20. - Top - End - #230

Lenna hisses as one arrow cuts into her, pondering for but a moment if she should shift her focus to the downed one.

No.

The better target is one of the four already firing back, and not the one currently more focused on his own wound. She takes aim again at the one she'd already sliced the neck of, praying that she gets it just a little more on target.

Show
    Lenna is going to take another shot at the one she's already hit to try and finish him off. The bellowing of the one hobgoblin should bring hopefully bring the party over.

Lenna Attack: (1d20+7)[9] vs AC for (1d8+2)[10] damage.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Ogre in the Playground

Spurring her mount forward into a canter, the paladin gave a sharp 'yah!' and leveled her polearm, directing her mount into an ideal position between her archer allies and the enemy with her knees - the kind of spot where she had as many of them in her hammer's arc as possible so that if any tried to move away, they'd get brained for their trouble.

The pointy end leveled at one of their hearts, she made a mighty thrust --

(1d20+7)[25] power attack to hit
    (1d20+9)[20] dmg

22. - Top - End - #232

Hearing the sounds of battle, Hector rushes towards the skirmish, ready to jump in.

Show
    Double-move to get into the action!

23. - Top - End - #233
    Ogre in the Playground

Erica's charge has the hobgoblin's screaming in fear as her mount thunders into combat and one of the creatures is impaled on her spike, a gout of dark blood showing that she's pierced his organs and killed the scout thoroughly.

Show
    Assuming everyone moves forward into combat it is back to the top of the order.
    The Bear is Back.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Ogre in the Playground

Though slightly reeling from the hit he'd taken, Tesselin - as calmly as he can, panic did not help in battle - draws another arrow from his quiver and fires again. "We can get them!" he says, watching as his allies tear out of the trees into a flanking position. "Hector, take advantage, they weren't expecting you!" he says.

Show
    Combat Advice on Hector to give him a +2 to his next attack roll! (Move Action)
    Firing at whichever scout looks like it's taken the most damage. (Standard Action)

Attack - (1d20+6)[26]
    Damage - (1d6+1)[6]

25. - Top - End - #235
    Ogre in the Playground

Another scout falls to Tesselin's bow shot, leaving just two remaining in action. Outnumbered and obviously over matched, they turn and start running for the larger army, trying to warn them of of your position!

Show
    The hobgoblins turn and run, getting 60 ft away from Lenna, Tesselin, and Erica, but only 30 ft away from the rest of the group, giving you all a chance to cut them down before they can warn the larger force.
    The Bear is Back.

26. - Top - End - #236

Emboldened by Tesselin's advice and the alarmed by the sight of the fleeing figures, Hector brandishes his spear and charges forward, hoping to intercept the closest foe.

Show
    Charge attack: (+2 from Tesselin, +2 from charging): [roll]/1d20+9[/roll]
    Damage if hit: (1d8+4)[11]

27. - Top - End - #237
    Ogre in the Playground

Leveling her polearm, Erica spurred her mount forward and swung, making sure to position herself such that the fleeing goblins would be vulnerable for a strike if they kept running!

(1d20+7)[27] to hit with power attack
    (1d12+9)[14] dmg

28. - Top - End - #238
    Ogre in the Playground

Erica smites another hobgoblin to death with her charging strike, but Hector's blow is turned aside in an awkward way by the armor of the monster, nearly twisting his spear our of his grasp. There is one hobgoblin remaining, running for his life.

Show
    Brac, Tesselin, and Lenna can all get an attack in before he starts to sprint.
    The Bear is Back.

29. - Top - End - #239

Lenna grabs another arrow and pulls back with gritted teeth. If her decision to attack causes the downfall of this little band of new companions, she'd never be able to forgive herself.

Show
    Lenna Attack: (1d20+7)[14] vs AC
    Lenna Damage: (1d8+2)[10]

30. - Top - End - #240
    Ogre in the Playground

Lenna's arrow strikes the fleeing hobgoblin between the shoulders and brings him down. The clearing becomes silent as the dead scouts bleed out into the dirt. Now the question becomes what the group will do with the oncoming battalion of goblin muscle.

Show
    Could everyone check in so we make sure we're all still here?
    The Bear is Back.