New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Griffon

Default Archivist: Information Overload vs. Arcane Armament?

Hello, I was just wondering how everyone compares these attacks since both use your action to attack? It looks to me that Information Overload is considerably weaker unless your specifically moving close enough to engage in melee, due to the limited number of times you can move the manifested mind? Even then it seems weaker due to the damage scaling poorly, ?

Even the increased damage that can come from spending spell slots seems to be heavily outweighed by the damage done through a similar use of the spell, Arcane Weapon? (P.S. I am using a 16 attribute, with all ASI spent for the primary attribute and considering both attacks hit or the save is missed. I am also using a spear or hand crossbow for calculation even though a Heavy Crossbow is much more deadly unless you calculate Crossbow Expert.)

Level 1: 4.5 to 13.5 vs 11
    IO: 1d8 to 3d8 at DC 13
    AA: +5 to hit with 2d6+4

Level 5: 9 to 18 vs. 24!
    IO: 2d8 to 4d8 at DC 15?
    AA: 2 shots at +8 to hit with 2d6+5

Level 6: 13 to 22 vs. 24!
    2d8+4 to 4d8+4

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Archivist: Information Overload vs. Arcane Armament?

Quote Originally Posted by Citadel97501 View Post
    Hello, I was just wondering how everyone compares these attacks since both use your action to attack? It looks to me that Information Overload is considerably weaker unless your specifically moving close enough to engage in melee, due to the limited number of times you can move the manifested mind? Even then it seems weaker due to the damage scaling poorly, ?

Even the increased damage that can come from spending spell slots seems to be heavily outweighed by the damage done through a similar use of the spell, Arcane Weapon? (P.S. I am using a 16 attribute, with all ASI spent for the primary attribute and considering both attacks hit or the save is missed. I am also using a spear or hand crossbow for calculation even though a Heavy Crossbow is much more deadly unless you calculate Crossbow Expert.)

Level 1: 4.5 to 13.5 vs 11
    IO: 1d8 to 3d8 at DC 13
    AA: +5 to hit with 2d6+4

Level 5: 9 to 18 vs. 24!
    IO: 2d8 to 4d8 at DC 15?

Level 6: 13 to 22 vs. 24!
    2d8+4 to 4d8+4
    Were's this from?

Please visit and review my System.
    Generalist Sorcerer

3. - Top - End - #3

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Asmotherion View Post
    Were's this from?
    https://media.wizards.com/2019/dnd/d...icer2-2019.pdf

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Arcane armament feels like it should have been put on a subclass instead of the main body, But one thing information overload can do is hit creatures 300 feet away from you that are out of sight. The conjured mind itself is like an arcane eye at will and can scout for the whole party while being unstoppable, I think the creators wanted archivist to be more about utility than damage, they also can make spell scrolls in-mass so they will end up getting more spell casts than the other 3 sub classes. Also a Stun on an Intelligence saving throw is incredibly useful past level 14.

5. - Top - End - #5

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Matticusrex View Post
    Arcane armament feels like it should have been put on a subclass instead of the main body, But one thing information overload can do is hit creatures 300 feet away from you that are out of sight. The conjured mind itself is like an arcane eye at will and can scout for the whole party while being unstoppable, I think the creators wanted archivist to be more about utility than damage, they also can make spell scrolls in-mass so they will end up getting more spell casts than the other 3 sub classes. Also a Stun on an Intelligence saving throw is incredibly useful past level 14.
    Hmmm, I seem to have misread the fact it can move 30' as a bonus action, and doesn't have a timer so once again it seems that the class is very focused on utility and scouting. Really helpful for dungeon crawling with the ability to search for traps before you get there while walking.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

In my opinion the Archivist is the “rogue” option of Artificer, especially if you make them a forger.

7. - Top - End - #7

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Anderlith View Post
    In my opinion the Archivist is the “rogue” option of Artificer, especially if you make them a forger.
    That is definitely what it feels like as the Battlesmith is the dps fighter, the Alchemist is the support healer, and the Artillerist is the wizard as he either blasts or gives a crap load of THP.