New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: Please sell me on why I'd want to ever play a bard, when they seem so weak...

Quote Originally Posted by samcifer View Post
    I'd never use Blindness/Deafness. It's a CON save, which (to my understanding) is something many monsters you'd want/need to handicap are strong in. It seems far too unlikely to take hold whereas Bane is a CHA save which only demons and celestials are really good at (again as I understand it).
    Really doesn't matter. There are no other options for CC spells that don't require concentration. No concentration is the selling point, and con is helping to keep it from being completely overpowered.

Bane is a concentration spell.
    Last edited by sophontteks; 2019-05-29 at 06:06 PM.

2. - Top - End - #152

Default Re: Please sell me on why I'd want to ever play a bard, when they seem so weak...

Quote Originally Posted by sophontteks View Post
    Really doesn't matter. There are no other options for CC spells that don't require concentration. No concentration is the selling point, and con is helping to keep it from being completely overpowered.

Well, there's Plant Growth, in some situations.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Bugbear in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by sophontteks View Post

Quote Originally Posted by MaxWilson View Post
    Well, there's Plant Growth, in some situations.
    There is also Synaptic Static, which is on the Bard list. Hit them with Bane first, so they have -1d4 on the Synaptic Static Int save. Then, in addition to the 8d6 Psychic damage, they subtract (1d6+1d4) from each attack roll and Concentration save, 1d6 from each Ability Check, and 1d4 from each Int save to escape the Synaptic Static effect. Which does NOT require concentration.

These are both more Debuff than CC, though.

4. - Top - End - #154

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Crgaston View Post
    There is also Synaptic Static, which is on the Bard list. Hit them with Bane first, so they have -1d4 on the Synaptic Static Int save. Then, in addition to the 8d6 Psychic damage, they subtract (1d6+1d4) from each attack roll and Concentration save, 1d6 from each Ability Check, and 1d4 from each Int save to escape the Synaptic Static effect. Which does NOT require concentration.

These are both more Debuff than CC, though.
    Well I'd be starting off at lv. 8 with warlock 2 / bard 6, so a lv. 5 spell is a ways off, assuming we make it that far. Our campaigns tend to only fo about 5 - 7 levels and we started off at lv. 5 this time
    Last edited by samcifer; 2019-05-29 at 07:44 PM.
    "I'll have my revenge, and Deathstalker (part) II! ™"

5. - Top - End - #155

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by samcifer View Post
    Well I'd be starting off at lv. 8 with warlock 1 / bard 6, so a lv. 5 spell is a ways off, assuming we make it that far. Our campaigns tend to only fo about 5 - 7 levels and we started off at lv. 5 this time
    1+6=7

There's always Bane + Dissonant Whispers, which upcasts pretty well, and the aforementioned Blindness, neither of which requires concentration.

6. - Top - End - #156

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Crgaston View Post
    1+6=7

There's always Bane + Dissonant Whispers, which upcasts pretty well, and the aforementioned Blindness, neither of which requires concentration.
    Warlock 2 - I edited it above to match
    "I'll have my revenge, and Deathstalker (part) II! ™"