New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default What happened to the god Raiden? How did he end up on the plane Carceri?

Bringing up info on Carceri and it's first level of Othrys, it states that Raiden "maintains his Palace of Thunder on Othrys"

Reading the AD&D book, DEITIES AND DEMIGODS, it states that he resided in the ELEMENTAL PLANE OF AIR.

Anyone know what happened between those statements?

Is him being in Carceri cannon?

Just confused and need to clarify for a story-line.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: What happened to the god Raiden? How did he end up on the plane Carceri?

Where's the information from?
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daemon

Default Re: What happened to the god Raiden? How did he end up on the plane Carceri?

1e for Air, then 2e planescape sources for Tarterus/Carceri (on hallowed ground, etc)

2e changed a fair number of deities alignments, and sometimes also their home planes (not always both at once!). Some pantheons moved a great deal, especially those that were primarily based on the PMP (which became a no no in 2e). The Japanese is such a pantheon.

Raiden was changed from N to CE. I do not think that change was supposed to take place in game, but one could go that route if they wish, and the plane change could be a banishment/imprisonment for going too far/being too wicked.

A counter example, for as major a deity as it gets, lets look a Zeus. 1e he is CG, 2e he is N; but his home plane is still, obviously, Olympus!
    Going back to Japan, Amaterasu is LG is both editions, but her home plane moved from PMP to 7 heavens/mount Celestia
    Hachiman was CG, then became LN in 2e, but his home plane is Gladsheim/Ysgard in both!

haha! Roll with the punches, or make up a backstory, or ignore one or the other, or change to suit.

Maybe give me some more on your story/game, if you want more direct help?
    Last edited by CE DM; 2019-05-23 at 01:25 PM.