New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Rogue build help, a fisherman who hunts mages

So , due to binging John Wick movies I have a fun character I wanna play for A.L

I have fun thought of a character whom makes constant fishing analogies.

Requirements

-AL legal

- Mostly rogue with only one or 2 level dips in other

-uses long bow

What do you guys think?

I was thinking hobgoblin assassin or thief

Another thought could be mastermind or scout but with different race

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Rogue build help, a fisherman who hunts mages

What is your priority? Do you want a mostly straight-classed rogue? Or do you want to be the best figgin' mage slayer out there? Do you want something fun and unconventional? Or do you want something optimized as heck? Note: I'm not that familiar with John Wick. I know he's a guy that shoots things, but that's about it.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Greywander View Post
    What is your priority? Do you want a mostly straight-classed rogue? Or do you want to be the best figgin' mage slayer out there? Do you want something fun and unconventional? Or do you want something optimized as heck? Note: I'm not that familiar with John Wick. I know he's a guy that shoots things, but that's about it.
    Mostly rogue
    Not looking for strictly optimization , fun and unconvential is the route im thinking

Its not off john wick himself just the idea thats presented that someone who seems like an everyday person is an assassin on the side

So most days this guy just fishes
    Then he gets a letter or a sending spell giving him a bid for x and on the hunt he goes

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Well, if you want the longbow, you'll need to be either an Elf or a multi class; I would recommend the Elf for the lovely (if high-investment) Sharpshooter/Elven Accuracy combo.

That combo is only part of the reason for Sharpshooter, though; the real draw for today's trendy fishing-assassin is the ability to make ranged attacks at extreme range without disadvantage. That means Nets are suddenly a wonderful option; whereas the 5 ft. range means that one usually has disadvantage with the net's ranged attack, now you can use them at 15 feet. You'll need a multi class dip to get the Martial Weapon proficiency, but that's not at all hard to pull off. Now wizards and mackerel alike will be snared in your fearsome grip.

This is even better if you can convince your DM (as I have mine) that certain instances of the Restrained Condition (which Nets inflict) impede the somatic components of spells.
    Last edited by Catullus64; 2019-05-28 at 12:34 PM.
    The desire to appear clever often impedes actually being so.

What makes the vanity of others offensive is the fact that it wounds our own.

Quarrels don't last long if the fault is only on one side.

Nothing is given so generously as advice.

We hardly ever find anyone of good sense, except those who agree with us.

-Francois, Duc de La Rochefoucauld

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Nothing constructive to add, but I can completely see your PC sat around the docks, fishing rod in hand, level 1 scroll on the hook, with a huge net awaiting.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I like playing an assassin with 2-3 levels of warlock for at will Disguise self and Devil's sight. Warlock 3 gets you access to Darkness, Misty Step and a pact. I went pact of the blade so I could walk around without a weapon disguised as a commoner. Start Rogue 1, then Warlock 3, then Rogue X. Actor feat is fun but makes the high level assassin abilities a little redundant. Could go Warlock 5 trading another 1d6 sneak attack for Fear and Fly spells.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Are you dead set on a longbow? Because if this is just for funzies, I'd say use a sling. Its an awesome weapon in history, and everyone knows how to use one, farmer's and city slickers alike carry them. Plus it's small and unassuming, you could hide like 20 on your person. Some as boot strings, some as straps on your armor and gauntlets, necklaces, belts, even a hat band. Heck, your fishing pole could be one.
    It deals low damage but sneak makes up for that for the most part, maybe dip a little into ranger for hunters Mark to up damage and archery fighting style, as well as the fact that almost every subclass lets you do 1d8 extra damage. I'd say go hunter because you don't use your bonus action for that.

Plus, you could use the sling to make your fisherman a tricky bleeper who uses everyday items to mess with victims. Sling can throw a river stone, so anything of equal weight works, that means a flask of oil, a peice of flint to light said oil, bags of ball bearing to trip opponents, small bags of flour for smoke screens(not to mention that flour and it's dust is highly flammable) caltrops to handle calvalry, and last but by no means least, elemental gems if you can buy or find them.

With sharpshooter you have max
    range sling easy enough, and with the options above, any mage is gonna pee himself, because besides the elemental gem, this scruffy fisherman is hitting him with crazy stuff that he can't even cast dispell magic on.

Hope that rant helped.
    Last edited by moonfly7; 2019-05-28 at 03:40 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Also, I know you said you wanted adventurers league stuff, but if you like magic hunting classes or the like, you might enjoy my arcanic researcher class:
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...t-entry-(PEACH!)
    Imagine a ranger who chooses favored enemy via schools of magic, and can steal the spell slots of spell casters. Sorry if your not interested, but thought you might want to take a look, even though it isn't AL legal, you may just enjoy the read.
    Last edited by moonfly7; 2019-05-28 at 04:50 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground

Fighter 1, Rogue X, going Inquisitive would work really well here.

The Inquisitive is to fit in with the whole "fisherman" concept. He's patient and observant. He's also a highly trained sniper, using a Longbow at ludicrous ranges to snipe an enemy before they can see him.

Fighter 1 will get you the proficiencies you need, while also increasing your hit bonus by +2. Inquisitive allows you to Sneak Attack at infinite range without needing to Hide or have Advantage to attack. It'll also allow you to be proficient in activities outside of combat.

If you want to focus more on combat proficiencies, you can do some cool combat tricks by taking two more levels into Fighter, for Battle Master maneuvers, which can be used at almost any range.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!