New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Default The Story of Midas Drake

Having sent a sealed letter to Jane a day earlier, you received her response to a request for a meeting earlier this morning. The response was simply, "Haggard's Place, 2 hours after dark."

You have never been to Haggard's Place, but know it to be a hole in the wall tavern in the Puddles. It is not as disreputable as the Soggy Piper, but one rarely frequented by anyone on the up and up. You are certain Jane picked that place because she would be less likely to be seen going or coming there by her coworkers.

The sun is just going down on the Puddles district as you make it to the outside of the bar. A quick look inside reveals a well kept but somewhat dilapidated building made entirely of wood. There is a large bar on the backside of the room, a fireplace on the right wall with tables near it, and a slightly raised "stage" on the left side where a young attractive woman is singing, "Follies of a Fool". There are several tables throughout the small bar. A large, barrel chested man with a shaved head, goatee, and a piercing gaze is wiping the bar down with a rag and eyes you harshly as you enter.

There are four patrons at the bar, plenty of room for you to snag a seat there. There is a card game going on with two open chairs as well. Easy marks perhaps? There are a few other tables with patrons and numerous open ones, both near the stage where the young lass is singing as well as near the fire.

Jane is not here and will most likely not arrive for at least another hour or two.
    Last edited by The BBEG; 2019-06-01 at 12:04 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Re: The Story of Midas Drake

Quicksilver feels a chill that has become all too familiar as he walks across the threshold of Haggard's Place. There is almost certainly a spirit here that is strong enough to summon with a ritual. The tall man of Taldor purses his lips as he surveys the room. This is definitely the place for a trickster spirit, he says to himself, noting the card game and the grim looking barkeep. His eyes rest for a second on the singer's pleasant form. Normally, he would try his luck, but he was meeting a woman and one never knew how she would react if she came in and found him flirting with a young entertainer. The girl could still serve a purpose though.

Midas adopted an exaggeratedly appreciative stance, eyeing the girl intently whilst strutting up and leaning his elbow against the bar.
    Spoiler: Bluff Check
    Show
    [roll0]
    Internally, however, he focuses his mind, forming the emotional and thought components for a ritual to read magic auras. He then surveys the room to try and identify any sort of surprise.
    Spoiler: Perception
    Show
    [roll1]

Whether he finds anything interesting or not, he will first try to go make friends with the barkeep. That's a fine song, though not the one I'd have her sing, if you take my meaning...
    Spoiler: Diplomacy
    Show
    [roll2]
    At which point he'll steer the conversation to try and find out if anyone noteworthy died in, or was closely associated with the place.

Say friend, isn't that the very table where Sammy Slick Fingers used to throw bones? Or maybe it was Mabel the Able. At any rate, I know I heard talk of some famous pirate that used to frequent this place in my papers' time.

After trying to glean information from the barkeep and ordering a whiskey, he will invite himself into the card game, and play a few rounds, always betting the minimum. Once everyone is at ease, he pulls out a cigar and setts it on the table, though he doesn't light it. He'll start talking about stolen cargo and foolish lords, and see if he can get a bead on whether one of them is related to the local underworld, though he's actually no good at that.
    Spoiler: Sense Motive
    Show
    [roll3]

If he can't glean anything immediately actionable, he'll play and wait for Jane to arrive. If he does find that these characters might be related to smuggling or fencing, he will try to use message to tell Jane to act like she doesn't know him when she arrives.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    My fault. I previewed the post
    Bluff: (d20+9)[18]
    Perception: (d20-1)[19]
    Diplomacy: (d20+9)[17]
    Sense Motive: (d20-1)[14]

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Midas peacocks his way to the bar while ogling the singer, causing the bartender to sigh slightly. Upon hearing Midas' slightly off color comment regarding the singer, the four men at the bar cease talking and go completely silent. The giant bartender straightens up to full height, at least six and a half feet tall and over 250 lbs. He runs his tongue across his teeth making a a loud suctioning sound. He stares at you with menace and violence pouring from his his very being. The mountain of a man leans in to within inches of your face and quietly, but forcefully whispers, "Just what song would you like my lovely daughter to sing?" He leans back from you slowly, painstakingly slowly actually. Before you can speak, he smiles slightly. "Now that we have an understanding, what would you like to drink?" The four men at the bar laugh and guffaw so loudly you think they might just fall off they stools. One of them chuckles to another, "You see the look on his face when Haggard told'em that Hope was his daughter..." which brings even more laughter.

When asked about the famous people who came before Haggard shrugs. "I only bought the place four years ago. You'd have to ask one of these old coots who was here before I bought the place."

As you make your way to the table no one stands out as being a threat, at least in so much as they are looking or waiting for you. The barkeep looks quite dangerous... certainly no one you would want to tangle with. You get the feeling he was former military, or smuggler, or adventurer or... something.

Sitting down at the table you note that one of the men stands out. He wears bright colors of fine silk, much gaudy jewelry and baubles, and has a roguish swashbuckling demeanor to match his well kept goatee. He speaks loudly and brashly and it is quite obvious he loves being the center of attention. It takes less than two seconds to realize that he is involved in less than savory practices.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

As Midas sits down and begins to play his fifth hand. In his mind, he goes over the strategy of using the Cognatogen Cigar that he had rolled to help with his meeting with Jane, before deciding to let the dice fall where they may and lighting up. Comitted now, he ***** back lazily in his chair and says to the roguish gentleman Don't take this as an advance, as I mean it from a purely admirative perspective, but you, sir, have a fine goatee. What is your name, good sir.
    Spoiler: Bluff
    Show
    (d20+11)[19]

After a couple more hands pass, Midas will ask the man Now tell me truly, an associate of mine once found this place to be a good spot for unloading certain goods. If one where to have such...delicate...wares, could I find a buyer here?
    Show
    (d20+11)[28]

If the man doesn't bite on Midas invitation, Midas will again inquire about spirits
    Show
    (d20+11)[29]

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

The loud man looks at Midas with a inquisitive look and a sly smile and is stroking said goatee when the admiration is made. "Haha!" he chuckles when the comment is made. "No offense taken my friend, a peacock who struts around showing off his beautiful colors doesn't take offense when someone notices. The name is Panamon. Panamon Creel." You and the flamboyant individual seem to win about the same amount of hands with neither winning or losing a noticeable amount of coin. The other two individuals can't seem to win a hand at all and soon fold and make themselves scarce as the talks turn to more illicit matters.

Creel asks your name, and then responds. "Look, I can't put my finger on it... but I like you. Here is all you need to know. You need to buy something, find something, sell something, or make something disappear, I can handle it. If I'm not the guy, I either know the guy, can find the guy, or the guy don't exist." Creel gives you a wink and stands up. "Seeing as they took off, I'm going to do the same. If you ever need to get in touch with me, show the right people this, and I'll know what needs to be known." Creel flips a coin to you. However, upon closer inspection its no coin, but a piece of wood polished to a nearly golden sheen with Creels face an ornate emblem engraved on it. The mark matches a brooch and signet ring Creel is wearing.

There was no answer about spirits as there was no time to ask. You figure Jane should be arriving most any time. Within a few minutes, Jane arrives punctual as ever.

She is wearing a dark gray cloak, pulled up around her. Her medium length blond hair is pulled up high and completely hidden by the cowl of her cloak. She wears nothing signifying her as a member of the city watch and honestly at a distance, could pass for either a man or woman. At least you note, she still has her wits about her.

She immediately beelines for you and sit at the table across from you. She doesn't lower her cloak and instead begins speaking right away. "Midas Drake, you have 5 minutes to explain why a Sergeant of the City Watch is having a meeting with a wanted fugitive who has a bounty on his head worth more than the Sergeant makes in a year." To your relief, their is no anger in her voice or her piercing blue eyes.

Just as you remember, Jane is a formidable individual. Though several years older than you, she has a grace, strength, and beauty that are undeniable.
    Last edited by The BBEG; 2019-06-02 at 05:18 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quicksilver tries to suppress an arrogant half smile. Careful Sergeant. If you let me know that you've been keeping abreast of my situation,
    it might give the impression that you care. You'd never want a scoundrel like me to think that. I'm incorrigible.
    He finishes with what he hopes is a disarming wink.
    Show
    [roll]d20+9[/roll (+2 if the cognatogen hasn't worn off-duration 30 min)

All right then, here it goes. I want a job. Don't get excited. I have conditions.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Spoiler: Sorry
    Show
    (d20+9)[24]

Sorry about that

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

"Don't you pull that 'incorrigible' bull with me." The sergeant says, almost keeping a straight face before a small smile breaks her bearing. "By the gods nothing is every easy with you. What job, what conditions?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Midas couldn't help but display a sideways smile of his own as he unfolded part of his scheme. This would be the hardest challenge of the night, but the gambler in him loved the risk, and after a night of bidding the minimum, it was time to go all in.

I don't care so much as to the actual name of the position. Make me a researcher or investigative assistant or hell, even a janitor. I just need access to the watch members themselves, and I need access to the training grounds, the forensics lab, and the keep at night when no one is around." He pauses for the last bit, knowing that it might be too much.

Also, I'm going to make Absolom my home for good. I need sponsorship and papers for my new identity. I won't get very far as Midas Draconis. I want you to get me paperwork for Midas Drake from Cheliax.

Jane, this city is dangerous. Maybe more dangerous than the frontier was. Help me get started out and I'll help you. I'll get you and your squad the information and supplies they need to stay alive. Itll be just like old times.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Janes sits unmoving and unflinching, in perfect silence, as if she were a statue. Most people wouldn't notice, but years of looking for tells at the poker table have prepared you for it. You can tell by the slightly increased bounce of her jugular that she is at least entertaining your offer. She waits for several seconds before responding.

"First off, that is the most preposterous thing I have ever heard. Secondly, are you vulking crazy? Finally, if I agree to this, I have some conditions of my own." Jane sighs and shakes her head before continuing.

"No harm or embarrassment comes to me, my men, or anyone in the city watch. That means no giving away our secrets or locations, no stealing from them, no setting them up, and no doing anything that makes the watch look bad. Next, nothing you do can embolden, or empower any criminal element to make them harder for us to manage. And lastly, if you screw this up or screw me over, have the decency to off me so I don't spend my life rotting in a cell." Jane shakes her head some more, but this time at least smiles ever so slightly.

"So, Midas Drake... are you ready to start work as the newest Absolom City Watch Investigator? Oh, and I fully expect you to handle and solve some cases. Gotta make it look real. I'll have you papers by the end of the week."

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Midas draws in heavily on his now spent cigar as he carefully considers every word of Jane's proposal. Thoughts swirl through his head as he analyzes the promises.Well obviously I'm not in control of how embarrassed anyone becomes of my actions. Not stealing from the watch should be easy, unless you counted the spirits that certainly dwelt in their compound, but not setting them up seemed unlikely at best. And I can't think of a police action that doesn't empower some criminal element. At least she didn't require that I forswear criminal activity for myself.

The herbs he consumed for their cognitive properties sometimes sent his head spinning like that, but it was worth the price. He finally comes to his decision, and gives Jane a slow nod of acquiescence. None of his issues with her demands matter, not really, because he'd heard loudest the unspoken message. She trusted him. That was probably foolish; at some point he'd be sure to violate all her conditions. However, he feels he owes her something for her trust, and says You won't be sorry. Which is perhaps the only true thing he can say.

Feeling uncomfortable with the seriousness of the mood, he quickly resumes his arrogant aspect and, with a twinkle, says You know, if you just leave, everyone here will know that we were meeting for some official business and wonder what we're up to. Give me a kiss before you go, you know, as a misdirection.
    ----------
    Midas waits until Jane has been gone for a minute before he goes to the barkeep to inquire about a room for the week. If his plans are to work out, he's going to need one hell of a trickster to pull it off. And he can't shake his instinct about this place. One more time, he probes for information about anyone who lived here previously.
    You said you'd had the place four years. What happened to the man who owned the place before that?
    ----------
    Regardless of the answer, assuming there is a space, Midas will go upstairs disappointingly sober just before midnight to begin the ritual and attempt to summon a spirit to himself. Hopefully he will use information gleaned from the bartender or one of the patrons to hone in on a specific spirit that will help him during the trials of the upcoming day.
    Last edited by ptrcz09; 2019-06-05 at 07:22 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Jane shakes her head. "I better not".

At your suggestions of a misdirection she perks up and smiles in a rather... sultry manner. She leans in very close and tilts her head to the side. She puts a hand gently on each side of your face and continues to lean in as she purses her lips together. Right before her lips touch yours she pulls her head up and kisses you on the forehead. She then backs away with a playful smile. "Goodnight." She then walks out with a noticeable pep in her step but, the cloak still pulled up tight.

----------------

Haggard responds nonchalantly about the previous owner. "Wade Philbun used to own this place. Got stabbed in the neck over a pay dispute standing right behind this bar. I bought it from his widow a few weeks after that. Said she couldn't stand the feeling of being in here anymore."

----------------

Drake is able to get a decent room for 2sp a night or 1gp for the full week. What will your plans for tomorrow be?
    Last edited by The BBEG; 2019-06-05 at 03:34 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Midas goes upstairs after paying for the week in advance. He makes a show of acting exhausted before entering the small room, at which point he leaps into action. He moves the bed to the far wall, and likewise clears the armoire, leaving as large a space as possible in the remaining corner. He then pulls out a piece of chalk and begins to sketch nearly concentric circles with writing around the edge in the Kelish language.

He then sits in the middle cross legged, and, cursing the little ones fondly under his breath, pulls out a small cup filled with herbs and a tiny, filtered straw, in order to begin the tea ceremony that he learned from that old crone Matrica Lagarda after he helped treat her grandson's illness.

Wade, the Taldan man calls, trying to make his voice enticing, soothing even.
    Midas pours water into the cup, takes a sip through the straw and spits it onto the ground beside him before calling again. Wade
    . The water is bitter from the herbs in the cup, but Midas takes another sip which he swallows before refilling the cup. He then places the object in the center of a circle drawn on the ground and calls a final time. Wade, you wrongfully slain, come and visit with a friend. Return to the place of your restlessness and join me to walk among the living.

Midas then sits back, concentrating as hard as he can, willing the spirit to manifest in his mind's eye. It will take perhaps an hour, but if he is successful in calling the spirit to him, he will spend all day tomorrow practicing the remnants of the old innkeeper's skills.
    Spoiler: Plans
    Show
    Midas will attempt to take a taboo to never settle on a price without haggling for at least a half hour, and will try to grab appraise and sense motive as his lesser pact boon, and will take a +1 to appraise for his séance boon. After the séance ends, Midas will roll a dexterity mutagenic cigar.

Whether the Taboo is accepted or not, Midas will spend the next day casing the docs and the market, looking for something that he can steal and then sell to Panamon Creel in order to endear himself to the criminal. He will also be talking to people to see if anyone seems like a good mark for thievery. He will then try to contact a priest of Cayden Cailean, who he will try to get drunk and take for a night of carousing.
    Last edited by ptrcz09; 2019-06-05 at 10:44 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Midas is able to sense the spirit of Wade and feel a lesser pact is made. The following morning comes and Midas finds himself ready to set out for the day. There are painfully few patrons downstairs and only Haggard the barkeep can be seen refilling the bar and doing other cleaning. Where pray tell, does Midas wish to go?

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Spoiler: Preparations
    Show
    During his séance, Midas prepared extracts for shield, disguise self, ant haul, and cure light wounds, as well as a mutagenic cigar of dexterity.

Looking around the room, Midas is sure to note anyone in the common room that he did not notice the night before. If she is present, and he can do so without her father seeing, Midas will try to say a nice word to Hope, compliment her on her singing or something, but he will try come across as friendly rather than flirtatious.

After leaving the inn, Quicksilver will head straight to the market, he will find a place to take tea on a corner, near the higher end merchants, and observe the passersby. He's looking for anyone out of place
    Spoiler: Skill Checks
    Show
    Bluff to hide his purpose (d20+9)[19]
    Sense motive to find something out of place with the shoppers (d20+5)[19]

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Haggard's place is completely empty save for Haggard himself and an almost comically decrepit old man. He is slowly gumming a small bowl of porridge.

At the market things are a bit more lively. It is bustling with people buying and selling a whole host of items. Midas parks himself near the more expensive, high end items and watches. A few merchants and even a noble or two come by, though most are servants of the latter buying items on behalf of their employers. There is one person of note though. An obvious noble who is trying to be inconspicuous and failing rather miserably. He doesn't appear to have worked a day in his life and is wearing a signet ring, however he appears to be wearing some tattered clothing that he does not appear comfortable in. It seems that he is trying, and failing miserably at finding a connection to put him in contact with the undermarkets. You can't help but find it comical though you wonder what it is a person like him would want with the undermarket.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Midas idly twists his cigar between two fingers as he considers how to play the situation, before deciding to go straight and lighting it up. He attempts to follow the out-of-place nobleman for about a half hour.
    Spoiler: Stealth
    Show
    (d20+5)[14] (he is not wearing his armor)
    During this time he will try to gather more information about the man's purpose.
    Spoiler: Sense Motive
    Show
    (d20+5)[23]

After the time has elapsed, Midas will try to pull him aside into an alley or a corner [COLOR="#0000FF"]The likes of you are not safe in this part of the city[./COLOR]