New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Warforged Rules Question

If a warforged wields a two-handed weapon, could it make a slam as a secondary attack?

I believe I read that shifting stance from one-handing to two-handing a weapon, and vice versa, is a free action. If that is the case, I think it would be reasonable to make the slam secondary attack, but I'm not sure if there is an official ruling anywhere. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by cartejos; 2019-06-09 at 11:09 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Re: Warforged Rules Question

Don't believe their is an official ruling anywhere would be more of an ask your DM question.

By the same question could you make a greatsword attack, let go, then make an unarmed strike as an off hand weapon using the two-weapon fighting rules? Then grab your greatsword again for more iteratives?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Nope, only while mixing Natural and Weapon Attacks this is possible at all. You cant mix match/draw/sheathe various types of Weapon Attacks iirc.

For the OP: I would myself say yes, one slam as secondary natural Attack would be OK. Its not overpowered, and I know of no clear rule against it.

But as far as I am aware there is also no clear rule allowing it (unlike with one handed weapons and natural attacks).
    A neutron walks into a bar and says, “How much for a beer?” The bartender says, “For you? No charge.”

01010100011011110010000001100010011001010010000001 10111101110010001000000110111001101111011101000010 00000111010001101111001000000110001001100101001011 100010111000101110

Later: An atom walks into a bar an asks the bartender “Have you seen an electron? I left it in here last night.” The bartender says, “Are you sure?” The atom says, “I’m positive.”

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

This is a surprisingly common question.

Here's some previous threads:

Can a stone golem make slams if it’s arms are full?

Do Slam attacks require a free hand?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Per the Rules As Written, a Slam is a type of natural attack in which "the creature batters opponents with an appendage, dealing bludgeoning damage."

In common parlance, an "appendage" with respect to a humanoid body is any part of the body projecting out from the torso.

So by logical extension, a creature with a natural slam attack could use any of it's limbs to perform this attack, including its legs or head.
    Resident Mad Scientist...

"It's so cool!"

Spoiler: Contests
    Show
    VC I: Lord Commander Conrad Vayne, 1st place
    VC II: Lorna, the Mother's Wrath, 5th place
    VC XV: Tosk, Kursak the Marauder, Vierna Zalyl; 1st place, 6th/7th place
    Kitchen Crashers Protocol for Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    But that's one of the things about interpreting RAW—when you pick a reading that goes against RAI, it often has a ripple effect that results in dysfunctions in other places.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

I always envision a "slam" as basically a manly chest bump (mostly because it's amusing), but Doctor Awkward is correct about the RAW of it.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

7. - Top - End - #7

Medium sized creatures require two limbs to make a slam IIRC, so you cant make a slam with a single arm (or leg) so unless youre large im gonna guess no

8. - Top - End - #8
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Remuko View Post
    Medium sized creatures require two limbs to make a slam IIRC, so you cant make a slam with a single arm (or leg) so unless youre large im gonna guess no
    You're slightly misreading a rule there - it says that Large+ creatures can make a slam with each arm, but it's not that medium creatures need all their arms to make one, it's merely that they only have one slam regardless of their limbs. A Medium decayed zombie with one arm will still have a slam attack for instance.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

9. - Top - End - #9

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by cartejos View Post
    If a warforged wields a two-handed weapon, could it make a slam as a secondary attack?

I believe I read that shifting stance from one-handing to two-handing a weapon, and vice versa, is a free action. If that is the case, I think it would be reasonable to make the slam secondary attack, but I'm not sure if there is an official ruling anywhere. Thanks in advance.
    Yes, you should be able to make a natural attack as a secondary attack with a -5 penalty on the attack role. I have personally always invisioned a slam attack to be more like a shoulder slam anyway, so it would be similar to making a cut with a greatsword then leveling your shoulder and advancing with the followthrough. Either way, releasing your weapon and using your arm to slam should work as well, but it will come after any iterative attacks.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by GrayDeath View Post
    Nope, only while mixing Natural and Weapon Attacks this is possible at all. You cant mix match/draw/sheathe various types of Weapon Attacks iirc.

For the OP: I would myself say yes, one slam as secondary natural Attack would be OK. Its not overpowered, and I know of no clear rule against it.

But as far as I am aware there is also no clear rule allowing it (unlike with one handed weapons and natural attacks).
    If you can draw as a free action, you sure can, since free actions can be done during other actions. It's the basis of the Quickrazor-Iaijutsu combo.

Quote Originally Posted by Yogibear41 View Post
    Don't believe their is an official ruling anywhere would be more of an ask your DM question.

By the same question could you make a greatsword attack, let go, then make an unarmed strike as an off hand weapon using the two-weapon fighting rules? Then grab your greatsword again for more iteratives?
    Unarmed Attacks can be done with any body part. We discussed some years ago a monk build who just used his genitals, lengthened to six meters, to cut people, using Versatile Unarmed Strike and various Aberrant feats.

Actually, I did it. I am (not) sorry.
    Last edited by MisterKaws; 2019-06-10 at 10:22 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Remuko View Post
    Medium sized creatures require two limbs to make a slam
    Now I'm imagining an army of greatsword-wielding warforged drop kicking enemies to get more attacks.
    Known among friends as "Ogres"

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    ...so as we can see, no internal consistency from WotC (unsurprising).

12. - Top - End - #12
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AnimeTheCat View Post
    Yes, you should be able to make a natural attack as a secondary attack with a -5 penalty on the attack role. I have personally always invisioned a slam attack to be more like a shoulder slam anyway, so it would be similar to making a cut with a greatsword then leveling your shoulder and advancing with the followthrough. Either way, releasing your weapon and using your arm to slam should work as well, but it will come after any iterative attacks.
    This specific example would be an unarmed strike unless you have an explicit slam attack (e g. a warforged.)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by OgresAreCute View Post
    Now I'm imagining an army of greatsword-wielding warforged drop kicking enemies to get more attacks.
    I was picturing that as well lol

14. - Top - End - #14
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by OgresAreCute View Post
    Insert both a kick line and a this-is-EBERRON! meme here.

Or better combine them.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Based on Monster Manual statblocks, the general rule is "one slam good, two slams bad". That is, if you have one slam, precedent suggests you can make it even if your hands are full, but if you have two slams naturally, you can't use them while those hands are occupied.

As for unarmed strikes, you can make them with any part of your body, so yeah you can TWF with a greatsword and kicks. Balance-wise, this still takes several feats to do well (TWF chain and Improved Unarmed Strike) and TWF is already very feat intensive, so I think it's more than fair.
    Last edited by PoeticallyPsyco; 2019-06-11 at 10:40 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

Or perhaps you want something Halloweeny for the season? Halloween Webcomics II