New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: I messed up and gave my players a wish.

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    "the genie gives up and revoke your wish. I hope you guys are happy"
    IC the genie is bound on the mortal plane until it grants a wish, any wish, although I suppose it would be reasonable for it to go out and find a new master because it got bored of waiting.

OOC I am not sure if I want to "be the bad guy" in this situation because I know damn well the players will unite against me and agree that I screwed them if I do something like this.
    Looking for feedback on Heart of Darkness, a character driven RPG of Gothic fantasy.

2. - Top - End - #122

Quote Originally Posted by Talakeal View Post
    IC the genie is bound on the mortal plane until it grants a wish, any wish, although I suppose it would be reasonable for it to go out and find a new master because it got bored of waiting.

OOC I am not sure if I want to "be the bad guy" in this situation because I know damn well the players will unite against me and agree that I screwed them if I do something like this.
    Just give them a final deadline, and they lose the Wish if they don't proceed before then. Allow for majority rule and outlaw player veto, so Bob can't be the *******

3. - Top - End - #123

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    Just give them a final deadline, and they lose the Wish if they don't proceed before then. Allow for majority rule and outlaw player veto, so Bob can't be the *******
    And if its a four way tie?
    Looking for feedback on Heart of Darkness, a character driven RPG of Gothic fantasy.

4. - Top - End - #124

The Genie goes away :-P

Too bad!

5. - Top - End - #125
    Bugbear in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Give them an additional 60 seconds to agree. Failure to agree at that point and you roll a d4 twice. The first identifies which party member (if relevant) the wish will affect. The second chooses the wish that takes effect. This way they have to decide or have a good chance of having a useless wish. (Doesn't do much for Bob to get the wish about having their soul saved from a demon/devil or whatever... I'm having trouble remembering player details at the moment :P )

Edit: My actual advice is to just ignore it until they agree and then poof genie shows up and grants it. You don't want to add dysfunction to your group. They have enough trouble getting along as is it seems lol
    Last edited by Galithar; 2019-07-02 at 04:21 PM.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Titan in the Playground

At least they'd be agreeing on something.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ogre in the Playground

Say to them as the genie.

"Look, I see you are having problems picking a wish, May I suggest [Insert wish] or [Insert wish]. I understand if you don't want any of those, but sadly, my time also has value and I will look for someone else who can decide on a wish if you don't dicede in the next hour."

Then give them an actual hour and if they do not agree, have the genie leave.
    Last son of the Lu-Ching dynasty

thog is the champion, thog's friends! and thog keeps on fighting to the end!

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd say just leave the wish as a float for if they get into a seriously bad situation. Just let them decide to use it when they feel like it and don't stress about it being used right here and right now.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Troll in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    At least they'd be agreeing on something.
    the winner!
    In memory of Evisceratus: he dreamed of a better world, but he lacked the class levels to make the dream come true.

Ridiculous monsters you won't take seriously even as they disembowel you

my take on the highly skilled professional: the specialized expert

10. - Top - End - #130

Well, they made a wish.

I had the genie tell them that she wasn't going to hang around any longer and if they didn't make the wish it would find someone else.

They voted, and agreed on wishing for power for the whole group. I think they wanted XP, but when I asked how they are going to phrase the wish in character and they settled on "I wish the party was stronger."

So, I gave the entire party a +1 bonus to their strength scores. Not exactly what anyone wanted, but it works well enough and nobody was actively upset by it.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Barbarian in the Playground

Zombie

So, I gave the entire party a +1 bonus to their strength scores. Not exactly what anyone wanted, but it works well enough and nobody was actively upset by it.
    There... now that wasn't so hard, was it?
    On to the next challenge!
    "Save your tears, my fetid friends, the dead have Wept enough!"
    The Tears of Blood Campaign Setting Updated 15 Dec 2019
    From the Tears of Blood GiTP Forums 2004-09: "20 million dead. Whatcha gonna do with 20 million dead? You can’t bury ‘em, no time or energy to dig the graves. You could chuck ‘em somewhere out of the way. Or you could burn ‘em. But, but what if those things angered someone, or put a bad curse on 'em? Maybe gettin’ rid of ‘em is better. Just a thought. Hey, you could help us!"

12. - Top - End - #132
    Dwarf in the Playground

How anticlimactic... But, problem solved

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ogre in the Playground

Good job, good to hear your party agreed on a wish in the end.
    Last son of the Lu-Ching dynasty

thog is the champion, thog's friends! and thog keeps on fighting to the end!