New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Would you allow this wish?

Say that a PC wizard has done a lot of role play in how he wants to cure all the sickness in the world. Would you let him use wish to get cure wounds as a wizard spell for the purposes of Mastery? I'd ask that only people who have actually played tier 4 answer.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Default Re: Would you allow this wish?

No, because Cure Wounds doesn't cure sickness, it restores HP. Lesser Restoration works against diseases.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keeganwilson View Post
    Say that a PC wizard has done a lot of role play in how he wants to cure all the sickness in the world. Would you let him use wish to get cure wounds as a wizard spell for the purposes of Mastery? I'd ask that only people who have actually played tier 4 answer.
    I currently DM a Tier 4+ campaign. My answer is NO.

Cure Wounds as a wizard cantrip isn't that powerful in combat, because wizards don't have much healing synergy. 1d8+INT (9.5) healing per round is only occasionally useful.

Cure Wounds as a cantrip is ridiculously powerful out of combat: in 10 minutes you can heal 950hp worth of damage (or 5700 hp per hour, or 136,800 HP per uninterrupted day).

Personally, I'd be willing to let a Wish make Cure Wounds a wizard ritual (as in: cannot be cast using spell slots, must be cast as a ritual). 9.5 hp every ten minutes, or 57 hp per hour, isn't that powerful compared to some other healing builds at that level (17+), even if the wizard spends all day repeatedly casting Cure Wounds as a Ritual.

Even if a level 17 Wizard spends 24 hours doing nothing but casting Cure Wounds as a ritual (10 minutes/9.5 hp per cast), they'll only cast it 144 times, for 1368 expected HP restored. That's cheesy, but not (in my opinion) any more cheesy than a Celestial Warlock spending all day taking short rests and burning their spell slots on 5th level Cure Wounds (~110 HP expected per hour, or ~2640 HP per 24-hour-period), or various combos of healing spirit/goodberry/life cleric/warlock short-rest spell slots.
    Last edited by Tiadoppler; 2019-06-13 at 11:44 AM.
    The battle cry of a true master is "RAW!!!"

I play Devil's Advocate. Why does a devil need an advocate? Because only bad lawyers go to hell. The good ones find a loophole.

5e Homebrew: Firearms through the ages / Academian class / Misc. Spells

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Let him learn Purify Food and Drink as a ritual. Given enough time and a sophisticated palate, he can cure all sickness.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    Let him learn Purify Food and Drink as a ritual. Given enough time and a sophisticated palate, he can cure all sickness.
    Maybe with a nice chianti and fava beans?

And I'm with the rest, at will healing doesn't seem right to me, even at tier 4.
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Spoiler: 5e Subclass Contest Wins
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XIII-Rogue, Tavern Wench
    ● XV-Monk, Way of the Shrine Guardian
    ● XVI-Cleric, Madness Domain
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXI-Artificer, Battling Bowman
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

In terms of simply healing large numbers of injured people, the Healer feat is amazing. It's at-will healing that's capped at 1d6+4(+number of hit dice) per target's short rest. With enough Healer's Kits, a character could save hospitals full of sick people for 5sp each.

Appropriate goals/rewards for such a character might include:

A legendary Healer's Kit that replenishes itself instantly (or has a large number of replenish charges per day).
    Spells like Fabricate used to cheaply create large numbers of Healer's Kits for emergencies.
    The battle cry of a true master is "RAW!!!"

I play Devil's Advocate. Why does a devil need an advocate? Because only bad lawyers go to hell. The good ones find a loophole.

5e Homebrew: Firearms through the ages / Academian class / Misc. Spells

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Keeganwilson View Post
    As Jack said Cure Wounds doesn't cure sickness or disease, however assuming thats what the wizard wanted, and if he had been pursuing this for most his carrer, yeah sure, it would be an outside use of Wish, and therefore subject to the % chance of never being able to cast Wish again. There are a couple ways you can do it:

* Divine Assistance: Lurue (or some other appropiate god) is moved by the wizards commitment and dedication, and when he attempts the Wish, she decides to grant it to him, giving him Cure Wounds AND Lesser Restoration as spell knowns (so they are not in his spellbook).

* Flash of Inspiration: Wish grants the Wizard a flash of inspiration on how to develop an arcane version of a healing spell, or simply, the next time he open his spellbook to prepare spells, he notices a new spell written on it. If I went this way, I'd likely change the spell a bit, so it isn't exactly as Cure Wounds. For instance in 3e my bladesinger as part of his high elven wizard training, had to develop a spell from each lvl, and coworked with a high priestess of Mystra, to make the same 9 spells in Arcane and Divine versions, for the first 1st lvl spell we crafted a spell that healed casting stat in HP, not much, but just allowing wizards to heal was cool. In 5e we ported it as such, 1st lvl spell, no scaling, you cure casting stat HP.

* Quick and Dirty: just give him cure wounds (the most boring option IMO)

Let's face it, there's no real reason, aside from maybe balance, why wizards shouldn't be able to heal, so it makes perfect sense to me, for someone that powerful and dedicated to achieve at least in part, what he set out to do for 20 levels.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Halfling in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rukelnikov View Post
    As Jack said Cure Wounds doesn't cure sickness or disease, however assuming thats what the wizard wanted, and if he had been pursuing this for most his carrer, yeah sure, it would be an outside use of Wish, and therefore subject to the % chance of never being able to cast Wish again. There are a couple ways you can do it:

* Divine Assistance: Lurue (or some other appropiate god) is moved by the wizards commitment and dedication, and when he attempts the Wish, she decides to grant it to him, giving him Cure Wounds AND Lesser Restoration as spell knowns (so they are not in his spellbook).

* Flash of Inspiration: Wish grants the Wizard a flash of inspiration on how to develop an arcane version of a healing spell, or simply, the next time he open his spellbook to prepare spells, he notices a new spell written on it. If I went this way, I'd likely change the spell a bit, so it isn't exactly as Cure Wounds. For instance in 3e my bladesinger as part of his high elven wizard training, had to develop a spell from each lvl, and coworked with a high priestess of Mystra, to make the same 9 spells in Arcane and Divine versions, for the first 1st lvl spell we crafted a spell that healed casting stat in HP, not much, but just allowing wizards to heal was cool. In 5e we ported it as such, 1st lvl spell, no scaling, you cure casting stat HP.

* Quick and Dirty: just give him cure wounds (the most boring option IMO)

Let's face it, there's no real reason, aside from maybe balance, why wizards shouldn't be able to heal, so it makes perfect sense to me, for someone that powerful and dedicated to achieve at least in part, what he set out to do for 20 levels.
    I love this! Thanks for the inspiration

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

If the wizards goal is preventing disease and improving the life of folks then I'd suggest letting him Wish to have Lesser Restoration as his 2nd level Spell Mastery option might be appropriate and wouldn't be OP or broken (it might be very in character but it would not be a power issue problem in most campaigns).

It would be an out of the ordinary use of Wish and would require a die roll to see if they could use Wish ever again but I don't see any real issue with Lesser Restoration as a cantrip (except for the disruption to society that might result :) ).

Unlimited curing of hit points would be a bad idea though. Even the various other options like life cleric/(druid or ranger) healing spirit still require the use of SOME resources. Cure wounds as a cantrip does not.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JackPhoenix View Post
    No, because Cure Wounds doesn't cure sickness, it restores HP. Lesser Restoration works against diseases.
    We have a winner.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society