New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 32 of 50 FirstFirst ... 7222324252627282930313233343536373839404142 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #931
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Not-So-Mith'd Opportunity: Random Banter # 222

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Are genderless considered to be non-binary?
    While I'm certainly no expert, yes agender would be considered non binary, and yes I'm still trying to work out an actually usable agender/agenda pun.

I have a lor of issues with gender, it took a good friend joking about making me trans for me to finally put all the pieces of my gender identity together. Although my family seems to have a trend towards being QUILTBAG in some way anyway.

The bit that confuses me is 'two spirit'. Like I've had it explained to me, and I don't have the slightest clue how that isn't bigender.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

2. - Top - End - #932
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    While I'm certainly no expert, yes agender would be considered non binary, and yes I'm still trying to work out an actually usable agender/agenda pun.

I have a lor of issues with gender, it took a good friend joking about making me trans for me to finally put all the pieces of my gender identity together. Although my family seems to have a trend towards being QUILTBAG in some way anyway.

The bit that confuses me is 'two spirit'. Like I've had it explained to me, and I don't have the slightest clue how that isn't bigender.
    Because it's kinda inherently a cultural thing. This is literally the first time I've heard it mentioned outside of Canada. It's more a native american thing that is functionally related to LGBTA topics.

It's sort of genderfluidism mixed with the realization that all roles in society are meaningless. That man is capable of doing the man thing, but prefers the woman thing. It speaks to how he has "two spirits" and thus embodies both, and today he's feeling more masculine, thus the pronouns used, but with a more spiritual bent.

I'm not First Nations so I'm not really at liberty to talk of it more than this. It's not my thing.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2019-07-22 at 03:55 PM.

3. - Top - End - #933
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Because it's kinda inherently a cultural thing. This is literally the first time I've heard it mentioned outside of Canada. It's more a native american thing that is functionally related to LGBTA topics.

It's sort of genderfluidism mixed with the realization that all roles in society are meaningless. That man is capable of doing the man thing, but prefers the woman thing. It speaks to how he has "two spirits" and thus embodies both, and today he's feeling more masculine, thus the pronouns used, but with a more spiritual bent.

I'm not First Nations so I'm not really at liberty to talk of it more than this. It's not my thing.
    Anybody smell cultural appropriation? (Seriously, all the uses I've seen have been from white people.)

Anyway, I feel like having that most English of dishes, apple pie.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

4. - Top - End - #934

Indigenous people can look white.

I actually really like apple pie, with cinnamon. It's pretty good.

5. - Top - End - #935
    Titan in the Playground

Indigenous people can look white.

I actually really like apple pie, with cinnamon. It's pretty good.
    My family is white. My little brother, otoh, is so tan that people think he's Mexican. His soccer coach first greeted him in Spanish (although in the coach's defense, bro was the only person on that team who wasn't Hispanic).
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

6. - Top - End - #936
    Titan in the Playground

I'm Celtic/Germanic, and people don't great me in either Gaelic or German. I mean, they great me in German when I'm in Germany, but not at home. Why would being of Spanish decent change that*?

Although to be fair, I think I have last thousand years ancestry from the Mediterranean as well, seeing as I've got that lovely combination of pale olive skin (which looks really lovely once tanned, but requires me to avoid sunburn like it's bread).

* yeah yeah, I do know the rough actual reason and why we can't go into it.

Show

7. - Top - End - #937
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

My mother's side has a lot of native american (grandma half, grandpa 1/4.) To the point where her, her parents and her brother all turn gold-brown in the sun.

My father is of nearly pure Scots-irish heritage, my siblings and I are pale freckled red heads.

My aunt (uncle's ex) is Italian. My cousin's are blonde, blue eyes, and have naturally gold-red skin. I went on a walk with the older one where she went without subscreen and was fine, I burnt through my spf 50 and a wide brimmed hat.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

8. - Top - End - #938
    Titan in the Playground

I'm Celtic/Germanic, and people don't great me in either Gaelic or German. I mean, they great me in German when I'm in Germany, but not at home. Why would being of Spanish decent change that*?
    I live in the Houston area. If you run into someone of Hispanic descent down here there's a pretty good chance they know Spanish.

(Also he was the only person on the team who didn't speak it fluently)
    Last edited by HalfTangible; 2019-07-22 at 07:29 PM.

Extended Sig

9. - Top - End - #939

What the **** does any of this have to do with what I said?

Anyway there's a pretty big chance me and Blue will never get back together again and I'm just... ****ing unbelievably surly and angry and upset right now.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2019-07-23 at 12:48 AM.

10. - Top - End - #940
    Troll in the Playground

Anyway there's a pretty big chance me and Blue will never get back together again and I'm just... ****ing unbelievably surly and angry and upset right now.
    I understand. I really do, even if not in that specific context. When you're close to a person, and it's a cause of joy, and friendship... and then it all falls apart. It hurts. It's not fun. And trying to force things to try and work often just leads to more pain. I've spent more nights than I'd care to admit just curled up into a ball under my covers, a virtual knife twisting in my gut. ...the saying is far more accurate than I'd ever been able to imagine before those points.

Sometimes it ends up working out. Sometimes it doesn't. I've just learned that trying to force things doesn't help... and trying while hurting always just makes things worse. It's not a fun feeling or piece of knowledge to have. Because I do know. Wanting to have what was lost, it's normal. And dealing with that is never easy, even if things eventually work out.

I sincerely hope that you manage to get to a spot where you can feel better about things. But I know that it's never a fun or easy journey getting there.

11. - Top - End - #941
    Titan in the Playground

What the **** does any of this have to do with what I said?
    *shrug* You brought up that indigenous people can look white, bro looking like a Mexican occurred to me and I thought it was an amusing connection. Apparently not.

Take your time, Zodi

Extended Sig

12. - Top - End - #942
    Barbarian in the Playground

LaZodiac, If you need this it is yours:

--**Hug**--
    Has any one seen my jar of anti-protons or my cyclotron of positrons?

Quote Originally Posted by Sermil View Post

How many surrealist painters does it take to change a light bulb?
    Soup made from multicolored machine parts
    Side employment:
    Professor Emeritus:Studies of Supernatural Events and Countermeasures;

Miscatonic University, Nashville Campus

sig thread is here

13. - Top - End - #943

Thank you, everyone.

14. - Top - End - #944
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    I've remembered that a few random banter threads ago. Now that I've been using Grammarly more than six months ago.
    It's honestly been nice to see how you've improved both in writing and your attitude, if I may say so. I think you have matured A LOT since you came to GitP and I'm proud of you!
    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac
    aah yes, alligators
    the most anime of creatures
    ~Extended Signature~

15. - Top - End - #945
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    It's honestly been nice to see how you've improved both in writing and your attitude, if I may say so. I think you have matured A LOT since you came to GitP and I'm proud of you!
    Yes. I was very trollish and immature back then. For anybody who knows me very well you all remember my antics back in the day. Ah good times.

16. - Top - End - #946
    Titan in the Playground

*hugs@Zodi* sorry, it took me a while to decipher what happened.

Anyway, I'm currently suffering from a major self esteem hit, after a company contacted me about a graduate scheme and then dropped me as soon as they discovered I had a third. Like I enjoy filling out application forms it doesn't help that when I'm on Facebook these days half the posts I see are of friends being happy in relationships, and I have far too many hangups and insecurities there. I literally broke down crying over it near the end of my shift today, I think I might need professional help with it.

I just feel worthless and undesirable so much these days, especially being told by company representatives 'you have a great CV, but we can't hire you for XYZ' or having a reminder that I'm not in a relationship come up. There are times when I can joke about it and make myself feel better, but also times when it makes me break down. It's just so hard to get help because the NHS is busy dealing with the people with life threatening mental health problems.

Show

17. - Top - End - #947

Thanks wizard. You can pull through this too, I know you can.

18. - Top - End - #948
    Bugbear in the Playground

I am beginning to suspect that my coping skills are made out of coconut oil, because just like coconut oil they get all melty when it's above about 80 degrees in my house.

19. - Top - End - #949
    Bugbear in the Playground

Anyway, I'm currently suffering from a major self esteem hit, after a company contacted me about a graduate scheme and then dropped me as soon as they discovered I had a third. Like I enjoy filling out application forms it doesn't help that when I'm on Facebook these days half the posts I see are of friends being happy in relationships, and I have far too many hangups and insecurities there. I literally broke down crying over it near the end of my shift today, I think I might need professional help with it.

I just feel worthless and undesirable so much these days, especially being told by company representatives 'you have a great CV, but we can't hire you for XYZ' or having a reminder that I'm not in a relationship come up. There are times when I can joke about it and make myself feel better, but also times when it makes me break down. It's just so hard to get help because the NHS is busy dealing with the people with life threatening mental health problems.
    I don't know the darnedest thing about the NHS so I can't offer any kind of advice where that's concerned, but if you feel you might need professional help, I hope you're able to get it. Or that the circumstances causing you to feel the need for professional help vanish overnight. Seems like that might be the more convenient turn of events.

I have a phone interview for a job tomorrow morning. Wish me luck, y'all, 'cause I sure as hell need it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    : THOG NOW SCHRÖDINGER's ORC!
    Quote Originally Posted by skim172 View Post
    If you ever see Hitler riding a T-Rex in your direction - you, my friend, are a very unlucky person.
    Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    "Ooh. Did you bring a biology textbook with you? No? Sorry, nothing personal." And then I dissect them.

20. - Top - End - #950
    Titan in the Playground

Times like this I wish I'd ever dated anyone so I knew how to help.

Extended Sig

21. - Top - End - #951
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

*hugs@Zodi* sorry, it took me a while to decipher what happened.

I'm sorry you are going through that. I have personally found that investing my self esteem in other activities has helped a lot, like training for a race or setting some difficult goal that doesn't require someone else's appreciation.

I think that is the healthy way to feel after a breakup. It should require grief and anger, like recovering from a death it is necessary work.

Quote Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
    I don't know the darnedest thing about the NHS so I can't offer any kind of advice where that's concerned, but if you feel you might need professional help, I hope you're able to get it. Or that the circumstances causing you to feel the need for professional help vanish overnight. Seems like that might be the more convenient turn of events.

I have a phone interview for a job tomorrow morning. Wish me luck, y'all, 'cause I sure as hell need it.
    Good luck Comrade!

22. - Top - End - #952

We broke up a few months ago but it was lingering on my mind a lot, and last night we had a heavy conversation about it and I broke down. I'm better now, and there IS still hope, don't worry. I'm just... tempered, now, I guess.

Also I have spent ike 110 hours on Final Fantasy XIV as a result of this. Oops. Should really be editing my novel...

23. - Top - End - #953
    Ettin in the Playground

We broke up a few months ago but it was lingering on my mind a lot, and last night we had a heavy conversation about it and I broke down. I'm better now, and there IS still hope, don't worry. I'm just... tempered, now, I guess.

Also I have spent ike 110 hours on Final Fantasy XIV as a result of this. Oops. Should really be editing my novel...
    I'm also procrastinating your novel, just "reading and reviewing" instead of "Writing and editing."

You can probably tell from the lack of emails.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

24. - Top - End - #954
    Troll in the Playground

Well hello there birthday, it's very nice to spend this lovely day utterly and completely voiceless with a possible fever.
    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac
    aah yes, alligators
    the most anime of creatures
    ~Extended Signature~

25. - Top - End - #955

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    I'm also procrastinating your novel, just "reading and reviewing" instead of "Writing and editing."

That's a fair point

Well hello there birthday, it's very nice to spend this lovely day utterly and completely voiceless with a possible fever.
    Happy birthday! Feel better soon!!

26. - Top - End - #956
    Barbarian in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

I am 99.8% European, and 0.2% Chinese (likely from the Russian side). Although for some odd reason evidently the Finnish (or the ones who ride reindeer?) sometimes test as Chinese, so evidently that is also an and/or possibility.

I like to joke with folks that I get mooned-burned. I catch fire in the sun. I burn like an Irishman (likely from the Irish side). I often stop in shaded places, and find it annoying that groups of folks that I am with like to stop in the sunlight.

One of my sisters tans well. She must have gotten that from the Italian side.

My wife was really pissed off to find out that she had a high amount of Neanderthal in her.

Edit: Now the 23andme program says that I am 100% European. It changed its mind.
    Last edited by darkrose50; 2019-07-24 at 08:46 AM.

27. - Top - End - #957

Genetic DNA testing is almost entirely arbitrary and so much guess work that it's almost completely inaccurate.

28. - Top - End - #958
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Ouch, sorry lassie. Happy birthday, hope it comes together for you!

29. - Top - End - #959
    Titan in the Playground

Oh dear. I hope you'll get better soon and that birthday joy won't skip over finding you even if it has to be on a later day!

Quote Originally Posted by darkrose50 View Post
    My wife was really pissed off to find out that she had a high amount of Neanderthal in her.
    How so? The cartoon stereotype of Neanderthals as stupid has practically no scientific backing...

I'm pretty sure I've got a tiny percentage of Neanderthal DNA, because I live in the right part of the world and has a hard knob at the back of my skull which allegedly traces back to the Neanderthals, and I actually find it pretty thrilling to learn that their lineage didn't go completely extinct.

ION:
    After a whole day of repeatedly diving into the water and swimming around with more or less symbolic pauses up at land is exhausting. Now everyone just sits around in complete silence, too tired to do anything productive or even find anything to talk about.
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

30. - Top - End - #960
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post

Just pick a day, and work through even a single chapter. It's a lot easier to put off if you don't pick a set schedule to do it on.

Oh no! That absolutely sucks, Finn. I've had a birthday like that, before, all ill. I hope you get better swiftly.
    (I also hope that, at the very least, you get saved some of your cake... My family refused to do that before.)