Page 43 of 50 FirstFirst ... 18333435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,290 of 1474
  1. - Top - End - #1261
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Re: Not-So-Mith'd Opportunity: Random Banter # 222

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    I've seen worse avatars.
    I could possibly imagine. Anyway, I've improved my writing and grammar. Also, I brought four buttons down shirts and four shorts at Burlington (clothing store) on last Friday.
    Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 2019-08-06 at 05:20 PM.

2. - Top - End - #1262
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    I'm sorry to hear that.
    I mean I never said which happy.

*Drives around in my horribly train*

(in all seriousness thanks. I'm exaggerating for comedic effect and a little wistful since I recently wrote down all of my sordid mystery past out to get an idea for what brought me here. Don't worry, I'm fine.)

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Spoiler: This one ?
    Show
    Nope. Don't like Cyanide And Happiness and all my avatars are me dressed up and it's for Zelda Spirit Tracks.

3. - Top - End - #1263
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I could possibly imagine. Anyway, I've improved my writing and grammar. Also, I brought four buttons down shirts and four shorts at Burlington (clothing store) on last Friday.
    You really have improved, the difference is amazing :)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

4. - Top - End - #1264
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    You really have improved, the difference is amazing :)
    And it's all thanks to Grammarly. I get an email from Grammarly about my writing and grammar progress and I've been making improvements a lot.

5. - Top - End - #1265

And it's all thanks to Grammarly. I get an email from Grammarly about my writing and grammar progress and I've been making improvements a lot.
    You can do it Petra Bartmanhomer!

(this is a dumb reference-humour joke to Fire Emblem Three Houses.)

(Also it occurs to me that Fire Emblem Three Houses saved me from watching RWBY on the long weekend again. Thank you, students. Your professor loves you.)

6. - Top - End - #1266
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    *Drives around in my horribly train*
    Get the hover-train skin. Hover vehicles make everything better. You can be a pilot, instead.
    Okay, okay, it's just the Caboose, but... still.

All that's reminding me of, though, is the groan-inducing joke made in Nintendo Power about the clear and obvious sequel. The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Trucks. With the archenemy, Traffic Jamondorf.

7. - Top - End - #1267
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I mean I never said which happy.

*Drives around in my horrible train*

(in all seriousness thanks. I'm exaggerating for comedic effect and a little wistful since I recently wrote down all of my sordid mystery past out to get an idea for what brought me here. Don't worry, I'm fine.)

Nope. Don't like Cyanide And Happiness and all my avatars are me dressed up and it's for Zelda Spirit Tracks.
    Yeah, I hope you feel better. I mean depression is no joke.

8. - Top - End - #1268

Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    Get the hover-train skin. Hover vehicles make everything better. You can be a pilot, instead.
    Okay, okay, it's just the Caboose, but... still.

All that's reminding me of, though, is the groan-inducing joke made in Nintendo Power about the clear and obvious sequel. The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Trucks. With the archenemy, Traffic Jamondorf.
    Trucker Zelda legit sounds like an interesting concept for a modern Zelda game if you really, truly wanted to do it. To do it and make things work would require a lot of effort, and it'd mostly be about introspection and the long stretches of empty nature you're driving through.

EDIT: Thanks Bartmanhomer. Don't worry, everything is fine!
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2019-08-06 at 06:01 PM.

9. - Top - End - #1269
    Titan in the Playground

I was hook into D&D 3.5 once it was introduced then more than a decade ago.
    I went off D&D completely shortly before 5e came out, and 5e itself pretty much killed it for me.

Except for the Middle Earth version. Weirdly if you remove the spellcasting I still like D&D, but the casters annoy me (too powerful and versatile).

Yeah. Magic The Gathering was a very complex game. It has so much rules. I'm more into Yu-Gi-Oh.
    I grew up on Magic, so YuGiOh didn't intestacy me because of it's simplicity. I mean, I was once of those people who disliked or when mana burn was removed from Magic.

Maybe I should see if there's drafts near me. I'm terrible at it as well as deck building, bit I enjoy how drafting works.

In a month or two I'm probably going to be a horribly depressed train conductor (only half of this will be true in real life).
    Congrats on the new job! I sure hope I got the right half. ..
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

10. - Top - End - #1270
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

You can do it Petra Bartmanhomer!

(this is a dumb reference-humour joke to Fire Emblem Three Houses.)

(Also it occurs to me that Fire Emblem Three Houses saved me from watching RWBY on the long weekend again. Thank you, students. Your professor loves you.)
    Thank you. Grammarly is one of the best grammar correction apps in history.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    I went off D&D completely shortly before 5e came out, and 5e itself pretty much killed it for me.

Except for the Middle Earth version. Weirdly if you remove the spellcasting I still like D&D, but the casters annoy me (too powerful and versatile).

I grew up on Magic, so YuGiOh didn't intestacy me because of its simplicity. I mean, I was once of those people who disliked or when mana burn was removed from Magic.

Maybe I should see if there are drafts near me. I'm terrible at it as well as deck building, but I enjoy how drafting works.

Congrats on the new job! I sure hope I got the right half. ..
    Yes, the spellcaster is very powerful and unbalanced. I understand that Magic is very popular especially in this era. I used to play Yu-Gi-Oh and the rules have changed a bit as years go by but I stop playing Yu-Gi-Oh. Speaking of D&D, I've made over 200+ characters sheets (D&D 3.5, Pathfinder and Vampire The Masquerade).

11. - Top - End - #1271
    Troll in the Playground

Trucker Zelda legit sounds like an interesting concept for a modern Zelda game if you really, truly wanted to do it. To do it and make things work would require a lot of effort, and it'd mostly be about introspection and the long stretches of empty nature you're driving through.
    Eh, skip the modern timeframe, thanks.
    I'm sad that the sci-fi future Zelda thing for... a Link to the Past, I want to say, that I heard about never came to Fruition. I want my Sci-Force of Wisdom, thanks.
    (I like cyber-esque future settings. So sue me. )

12. - Top - End - #1272
    Titan in the Playground

Nah, we need more of them.

And that reminds me, I need to hey back into the turning of one of my short stories into an adventure game. I just need a way to do an inventory system and theability to draw.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

13. - Top - End - #1273
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    And that reminds me, I need to hey back into the turning of one of my short stories into an adventure game. I just need a way to do an inventory system and theability to draw.
    I suggest the ability to draw is packaged with the ability to use the weapon or inventory in question.

14. - Top - End - #1274
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Eh, skip the modern timeframe, thanks.
    I'm sad that the sci-fi future Zelda thing for... a Link to the Past, I want to say, that I heard about never came to Fruition. I want my Sci-Force of Wisdom, thanks.
    Yeah but why do we need to move Zelda into one? And why would there be living truckers in this future and not drones?

15. - Top - End - #1275
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah but why do we need to move Zelda into one? And why would there be living truckers in this future and not drones?
    I mean, we don't need to, I just thought that it was a cool idea when it was explained about swapping between magic-past Hyrule and techno-future Hyrule. But, I'll make do with other cool future-aesthetic settings, I guess.

Also, clearly the truckers are the last vestments of the resistance, battling against the drone controller that is Ganon, in his quest to control the entire world's economy. No pot or barrel is safe!

Edit: Oh, also, I guess, I'm a sucker for the fantasy-aesthetic, but tech. Mecha dragons, laser swords, hardlight shields. All that sort of junk that probably wouldn't actually be a thing.
    Last edited by DataNinja; 2019-08-06 at 06:48 PM.

16. - Top - End - #1276
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I mean, we don't need to, I just thought that it was a cool idea when it was explained about swapping between magic-past Hyrule and techno-future Hyrule. But, I'll make do with other cool future-aesthetic settings, I guess.

Also, clearly the truckers are the last vestments of the resistance, battling against the drone controller that is Ganon, in his quest to control the entire world's economy. No pot or barrel is safe!

Edit: Oh, also, I guess, I'm a sucker for the fantasy-aesthetic, but tech. Mecha dragons, laser swords, hardlight shields. All that sort of junk that probably wouldn't actually be a thing.
    What if you did a Snowcrash style one where the Zelda universe is the Internet of a more grim normal world? The triforce are the programming tools left behind in the Internet, and getting all of them effectively gives you control of the Internet. Do the Snowcrash/Matrix thing of everything being virtual reality and techno-fantasy is just the form that the Internet has adopted, with big robot dragons and the like.

17. - Top - End - #1277
    Troll in the Playground

What if you did a Snowcrash style one where the Zelda universe is the Internet of a more grim normal world? The triforce are the programming tools left behind in the Internet, and getting all of them effectively gives you control of the Internet. Do the Snowcrash/Matrix thing of everything being virtual reality and techno-fantasy is just the form that the Internet has adopted, with big robot dragons and the like.
    To be honest, while I love that sort of idea (and had never heard of Snow Crash before - looks neat, I'll have to look into that), I will be honest that doing something like that with a franchise rather feels more shoehorn-y, and that's the kinda thing where it'd be neat to see a whole new IP. Which, it sounds like there is, so, thanks for that.

18. - Top - End - #1278
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

To be honest, while I love that sort of idea (and had never heard of Snow Crash before - looks neat, I'll have to look into that), I will be honest that doing something like that with a franchise rather feels more shoehorn-y, and that's the kinda thing where it'd be neat to see a whole new IP. Which, it sounds like there is, so, thanks for that.
    Snowcrash is pretty old, so some of the stuff has moved from cool to narmy in the time since it came out. The main character may wear a fedora and a trench coat while wielding a katana for instance.

19. - Top - End - #1279
    Troll in the Playground

Snowcrash is pretty old, so some of the stuff has moved from cool to narmy in the time since it came out. The main character may wear a fedora and a trench coat while wielding a katana for instance.
    Meh. There's often a charm to that sort of 'period piece', even if there's no way you'd see it done in any sort of non-parodic light today. Certainly happens a lot with computer-based stuff. Hazards of writing for a developing field.

20. - Top - End - #1280
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Meh. There's often a charm to that sort of 'period piece', even if there's no way you'd see it done in any sort of non-parodic light today. Certainly happens a lot with computer-based stuff. Hazards of writing for a developing field.
    I mean Shadowrun is from the same era and had a lot in common with Internet samurai/ninjas and virtual reality. It makes you wonder if the Internet had come out thirty years earlier if Internet cowboys would have been the thing.

It is kind of funny that in the end not only did VR not take off, but most of us prefer to use text based communications to phone calls, much less skype.
    Last edited by Tvtyrant; 2019-08-06 at 07:18 PM.

21. - Top - End - #1281
    Troll in the Playground

I mean Shadowrun is from the same era and had a lot in common with Internet samurai/ninjas and virtual reality. It makes you wonder if the Internet had come out thirty years earlier if Internet cowboys would have been the thing.

It is kind of funny that in the end not only did VR not take off, but most of us prefer to use text based communications to phone calls, much less skype.
    Yes, internet ninjas. Ninjas in the data. Who would ever like such a thing?
    >.>
    <.<

The big, huge problem with VR, I assume, is that it could never live up to the promised hype. The "true reality" whatever. That's not even getting to the smaller issues like expensive (and clunky) setups, awkward controls, and whatnot. And I feel like for the text-based thing, it's just... a lot more convenient. You can read it at your leisure, it's quiet, and so forth. I know that I like voice chatting with friends when I can (there's a lot that you just can't properly replicate in text), but it's just hard to get it properly scheduled and everything.

22. - Top - End - #1282
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sporeegg View Post
    Not sure if you are joking or not. Holland are two provinces of the Netherlands. Due to Europe's history of being many small dukedoms and provinces, many words have found their way into the languages for an inexact area description.

Bavaria is one of Germany's 16 (federal) 'states' though these states are less sovereign than states of the US for example. We call our country 'Deutschland' in German, as is 'Nederland' in Dutch.

Deutsch-land is called this way since the revolution in 1848 where Germans rose against the Austrian royalty, as teuta is Germanic for the adjective "connected to the people". Basically meaning "land of the people" in contrast to "land of kings/rulers."

Gute Nacht euch allen!
    I am not joking, just so you know.

does the word "teuta" have any commonality with the Teutonic Knights?

I just wish people stop labelling "nerds." Because they possessed low Strength and high Intelligence. Baloney, I was a nerd and I was at my childhood school basketball team for seven years.
    can a nerd have a high constitution score? I ask because in school I was nerdy, but in 2011 I survived 6 hours off untreated septic shock from a 2 inch perforation in my lower intestines. Lots of fort saves! still trying to recover my strength though.

These are all true things both for my avatar and in real life.

In a month or two I'm probably going to be a horribly depressed train conductor (only half of this will be true in real life).
    you are going to become a train conductor?!?! wow ! So kool! (read:Sorry but no depression allowed)
    Last edited by Insane Jeenyus; 2019-08-06 at 07:50 PM.
    Has any one seen my jar of anti-protons or my cyclotron of positrons?

Quote Originally Posted by Sermil View Post

How many surrealist painters does it take to change a light bulb?
    Soup made from multicolored machine parts
    Side employment:
    Professor Emeritus:Studies of Supernatural Events and Countermeasures;

Miscatonic University, Nashville Campus

sig thread is here

23. - Top - End - #1283
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Yes, internet ninjas. Ninjas in the data. Who would ever like such a thing?
    >.>
    <.<

The big, huge problem with VR, I assume, is that it could never live up to the promised hype. The "true reality" whatever. That's not even getting to the smaller issues like expensive (and clunky) setups, awkward controls, and whatnot. And I feel like for the text-based thing, it's just... a lot more convenient. You can read it at your leisure, it's quiet, and so forth. I know that I like voice chatting with friends when I can (there's a lot that you just can't properly replicate in text), but it's just hard to get it properly scheduled and everything.
    Absolutely. It is funny to me that almost no one saw the Modern internet coming. Star Trek Next Gen had sentient holograms but didn't guess that you would be able to use the computer on your communicator.

Edit: also, why ninjas?
    Last edited by Tvtyrant; 2019-08-06 at 07:43 PM.

24. - Top - End - #1284
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Insane Jeenyus View Post

can a nerd have a high constitution score?
    That's irrelevant which enderlord and LaZodiac mention that already.

25. - Top - End - #1285
    Troll in the Playground

Absolutely. It is funny to me that almost no one saw the Modern internet coming. Star Trek Next Gen had sentient holograms but didn't guess that you would be able to use the computer on your communicator.

Edit: also, why ninjas?
    I mean, who could have expected that you'd be able to have the power of the first computers and more in the palm of your hand, really. Like, not even internet-wise. Just technology-wise. I imagine it would be thought of as along the lines of "sure, you can fit your entire house in a room the size of a closet"*.

*exaggeration for comedic effect

Re: Ninjas, well... It was just originally a joke because I was apparently the only one of the people in one of my friend groups who knew about the mystic art of CTRL+F (or, more likely, bothered to use it), so was able to ninja everyone else when they were trying to find something in chat history, or in a PDF, or something like that. Funnily enough, I'm mostly ambivalent on actual ninjas, even despite my name.

26. - Top - End - #1286
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I want to get back on the spellcaster. I feel like that spellcaster are the only key in the D&D game while all other classes are trash and useless.

27. - Top - End - #1287

BlackDragon

The big, huge problem with VR, I assume, is that it could never live up to the promised hype.
    I think the main issue with VR is that it simply doesn't work very well. If you're actually moving around in the virtual environment then you have a disconnect between what you're seeing and what your inner ear is telling you, which leads to nausea. The ways they usually use to work round this either mean you're rooted in place for the entire game, or you teleport from spot to spot, neither of which are great for immersion.

28. - Top - End - #1288
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    I think the main issue with VR is that it simply doesn't work very well. If you're actually moving around in the virtual environment then you have a disconnect between what you're seeing and what your inner ear is telling you, which leads to nausea. The ways they usually use to work round this either mean you're rooted in place for the entire game, or you teleport from spot to spot, neither of which are great for immersion.
    Exactly. It works fine for games designed around it - stuff like Beat Saber, or Superhot VR - but it'll never be able to have that full "immersive full-roam world" experience that it was thought to be for so long. Just because of limitations of human physiology.

29. - Top - End - #1289
    Titan in the Playground

VR could maybe be made to avoid that with a specialized room - something with a mobile floor so you can walk around - but a headset alone is going to have limits.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

30. - Top - End - #1290
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Insane Jeenyus View Post

I mean, I have to google it myself. Apparently, teutonic is synonymous to German far longer than the German revolution.

I should ask my dear friend who studies Greek and Latin and is very interested in etymology.
    Last edited by Spore; 2019-08-07 at 07:11 AM.