New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Solaria (IC)

1. - Top - End - #211
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Solaria (IC)

Harpist

The Harpist looks briefly to the other members of the party with a hidden smile.
    "One is always prepared to take the easy way. A simple ruse."

Trying to transfer a secret message - just bluff his way past this giant? Bluff - (1d20+32)[49]
    The Chilli God has Spoken.
    ---

2. - Top - End - #212

Marcus smells what The Harper is cooking and gives him a slight nod.
    Last edited by Bigmac; 2007-10-22 at 03:47 PM.

3. - Top - End - #213

Harpist

"We encountered the hill giants already, on the way here. Quite by chance. A simple ruse was all that it took - there is not a single one of those weak people left alive in that clan, I assure you."

The Harpist looks at the fire giant in the eye... As far as his dark lenses would allow. To him, so the Harpist is assured of, what he just said was gospel truth.

Bluff - (1d20+32)[52]
    ---

4. - Top - End - #214

SolithKnightGuy

The fire giant, even from this distance, looks utterly shocked. He just cannot believe that a group of puny things could get the drop on even the lowliest of giants. But here was this one, claiming, and with confidence, that they were all dead. Can it truly be real? The fire giant looks utterly perplexed and confused.

So...so they are dead eh? Well why don't you have that otherworlder of yours go get their leaders pouch. In the mean time, I'll get ready for our travels.

The giant then puts his horn away, and begins to climb down.

5. - Top - End - #215

Wilarmis

If the giant gets far enough so that he can't hear Wilarmis' whispered spellcasting, Wilarmis willll cast Telepathic Bond.
    Last edited by Bitzeralisis; 2007-10-23 at 09:12 PM.
    ·Bitzeralisis·

6. - Top - End - #216
    Ogre in the Playground

Pelemaeus

"Pouch? What pouch? They all looked the same to us anyway... big, meaty and chunky. I think that huge firestorm I created probably vaporized the entire cave."

Spoiler
    Show
    Assume that the firestorm would be one of our random and erratic sparring sessions or something.

7. - Top - End - #217

SolithKnightGuy

The giant reacts to Pel in much the same way as he did to Wil. A puny thing doing all that, the work of giants? It really seems as though this particular fire giant is truly perplexed.

Alright, you follow me then. No funny tricks. Firestorms no work on us.

After finally figuring that a vaporization will not occur to him, this giant's bravado came right back.

The guard giant then leads you further through the pass. It seems to be a good thing that the group convinced this guard to let you through, as there are at least 10 more down this pass, most of them seeming the type to attack first, and ask questions later.

After a few miles however, the group comes upon an opening in the mountain range. They walk up the path a bit, and below them is literally a giant tribe. In sight there are about 20 giants, though there are many tents and giant-made caves, so there is sure to be more. Many ogres also line the landscape, seemingly doing the heavy lifting of boulders, making food, etc. Trolls are also about, and seem to be on guard duty. Two trolls in particular peak the group's interest, the fairly large one barking orders every so often and the quiet one, that seems to be blessing any battles to come.

The guard fire giant leads you down the path, into this mess, and brings you to the center of the encampment, where a giant bonfire rests. All around you there are hot springs pools as well, making the area extremely hot, and uncomfortable.

*You wait here. I will go get Ertoth*

The giant then leaves the group, and you are surrounded by potential enemies, but have a few moments to yourselves.
    Last edited by Bronz; 2007-10-24 at 11:54 AM.

8. - Top - End - #218

Well, we're in the door. Now what should we do? Should I continue with the ploy that I am interested in fighting with him / learning from him? It's not a lie, I would like to fight him in combat. I just don't know what I'm gettig into. And if I win, how will the tribe react? If I lose, what happens to you? Also, from what the sentry said I'm thinking that the princess must be the one we're after, but how can we know for sure?

9. - Top - End - #219
    Troll in the Playground

Elzaon

I think you should keep it up, at least for now. The chief could be smarter than his grunts, and even if he's not, we don't want to fight a tribe of giants right now, especially if we can avoid it. I think the princess is probably the one we want. I suggest we knock her out and take her away as soon as possible. All these giants around unerve me.
    Quote Originally Posted by YPU View Post
    Real life doesn’t happen, it surprises you like a trap of a CR way above your level.

10. - Top - End - #220

Wilarmis

I can use Web, Confusion, Haste, and / or Dimension Door to help us with escape, perhaps invisibility, but that'll only work on one of us.
    ·Bitzeralisis·

11. - Top - End - #221
    Ogre in the Playground

Pelemaeus

" I can fly a short distance away with my armor, although I'd have to be picked up somewhere a short distance away. Another option would be to actually create a firestorm, thus confusing the giants..."

12. - Top - End - #222

SolithKnightGuy

The now known fire giant comes out of one of the side caves, trailed by a true behemoth. A head and shoulders taller than any other giant in the encampment, the one known as Ertoth approaches the group. He wears a relatively decent chain shirt and carries a monstrous two-handed mallet. It looks like one swing with it would knock any of the group off their feet and possibly flying.

Ertoth comes up to the group, with the guard giant behind him. He stands 20' away from the nearest member of the party. After settling in his position and observing his guests, he finally speaks.

*Who are you to disturb us? I care not that you defeated giants that are barely giants. We are stronger.*

He pauses, just for a moment, and speaks again.

What do you want?

After Ertoth speaks to the group, it appears that the rest of the encampment is now staring. The full attention of a giant tribe has now been brought on the group, and it is a bit unsettling. (About 30 giants, 30 trolls, and 50 ogres currently in view)

13. - Top - End - #223

Marcus steps forwrd to address the giant. Before he does, he gives a slight bow. "Greetings Ertoth. I am Marcus Lowel, Lion of Sasserine, and Master of the Nine Paths. I have traveld the world in study of the sublime way. When Master Trent of Mysticae informed me of a Giant who also followed the path I travel, I set out at once to meet you for myself. Having met you, I hearby challenge you to the Test of the Compass!

Ture North, The Test of Understanding, for without comprehension one travels off course.

Due East, the Test of Insight, for the bringing of light shows how far one has yet to go.

The South, the Test of Endurance, for one cannot reach their destination in a day.

Onward West, the Test of Might, for to push on one must create his own path.

Now, mighty Ertoth, what stakes do you care to wager on this challenge? I am prepared to offer both Unfettered, and Supernatural Clarity as stakes on my part. Two of the legandary Nine Blades. What can you offer that compares?"

Wil, get your brain in gear and start thinking up some obsucre history relavent to the Nine Blades. Pel, you do the same. We have got to come up with something good. If he feels like I'm not worthy to challenge him, perhaps he'd consider facing a team of me an you Pel. Harper, this challenge should provide a good distraction. It can take a while, enough for you to slip away unnoticed perhaps and find our target. Wil and Elzaon, see if you can think of any spells that can give me an edge without beeing too obvious, or can help in the middle of battle if others are distracted. I hope he goes for this."

14. - Top - End - #224

SolithKnightGuy

The giant named Ertoth laughs mightily at the formality of what is in front of him. After having calmed down, he takes his "huge" hammer and strikes the ground in front of him.

I take no challenges from those such as you. I am Ertoth, and this is MY domain! The only challenge is strength, and all those here know who possesses the most!

He then turns to all the onlookers, and to a giant all look either impressed or intimidated, or both. He truly does seem to command their attention.

Your path means nothing to me. If you do truly wish to challenge me, you do so on your life. I offer only a possibly painless death in return!

15. - Top - End - #225
    Ogre in the Playground

Pelemaeus

"Then if a duel is necessary, will you agree that in the event that you die, your fellow giants and ogres and trolls will allow us to leave, and in the even that we die, you will not dishonor us?"

Spoiler
    Show
    I haven't had a chance to update maneuvers, but I might swap em out in a bit, to fit the Fire Giant's resistance to fire.

16. - Top - End - #226

Marcus grows so that he can look Ertoth in the eye. He stares at him with an intent glare.

Wil, El, now might be a good time for some super juice. I'll speak loudly and wildly enough that no-one should be watching.

Marcus bellows loudly at the Giant, making wide gestures so that he draws attention to himself.

"The challenge remains. That YOU do not take it shows how FEARFUL you are that you will be exposed. You do NOT follow the path. I, however, accept YOUR challenge. Since you already set the terms, I will quote the stakes. WHEN I defeate you, I want all Ertoth's possessions, to be carried out of here by person I chose. You will command your tribe not to interfere.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Troll in the Playground

Elzaon

Elzaon looks at the gathering, probably looking quite out of place.

"Super Juice"? I've got some mighty spells prepared, but he looks strong. Even if he can't mentally block my Harm spell, he might still survive. Our best bet might be to simply have Wil and I take out Ertoth in a few seconds, while you guys hold off the others. I could heal, and Wil could use his spells with a wide range to take them out by the tens.
    Real life doesn’t happen, it surprises you like a trap of a CR way above your level.

18. - Top - End - #228

SolithKnightGuy

Ertoth bellows loudly once more. Marcus is at an impressive height currently, but only at eye level with most of the other giants. Ertoth stands nearly 12' tall, and an enlarged Marcus gets up to 10.

Why would I order my tribe not to interfere? Assuming I am underestimating you that is pure nonsense. You came here, to MY home, and tell me I am fearful for not accepting a one on one challenge? HA! You puny things really are all the same. I will accept your challenge if you wish, and you will lose either if you defeat me or not.

The fire giants that surround the bonfire all nod their heads in agreement. Can't really tell with the trolls or ogres but it seems any fight might amuse them.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Ogre in the Playground

Pelemaeus

"While I do not trust you at all, I will be honorable, and withhold the use of the Desert Wind maneuvers. Your own element should not be used against you. That I will leave for you to use. Do you have a duel arena where we may participate in without harming your fellow subjects?"

20. - Top - End - #230

SolithKnightGuy

Ertoth looks at Pel, apparently perplexed.

You don't fight for sport puny. You fight for life!
    Last edited by Bronz; 2007-10-25 at 06:37 PM.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Troll in the Playground

Elzaon

I see. So you admit to being afraid of dying by fighting us? I can see no other explaination. You fight for life, but won't fight us. Seems to me...that you aren't exactly as brave and mighty as we have heard.

He says all of this while lightly fingering Night's Claw, not meeting the giant's gaze, and seeming rather bored.

22. - Top - End - #232

SolithKnightGuy

Ertoth seems to be getting a little agitated at this point at the apparent goading for a fight.

There is no reason for Ertoth to fight you. You things are puny! You crawl on Ertoth like flies on a troll's mess. Ertoth can order whole tribe to murder the lot of you, and then we have dinner for tonight!

With this the crowd around you cheer, but the goading does seem to have some effect on the big giant and everyone else. Fire Giant's aren't honorable creatures, and it truly seems like the only thing holding them all back at this point is Ertoth's presence.

Ertoth speaks again, after the cheers.
    There is no reason for me to give you fair fight. I do not need to test myself, or my guards, against the likes of you. Maybe I'll just consider you captives and we can have some fun with the trolls!

23. - Top - End - #233

Wilarmis

So, have we agreed to slay these idiots or what? And if so, should I blast the giants or poke Ertoth around?

And when I say poke, I mean turn into dust.
    Last edited by Bitzeralisis; 2007-10-26 at 08:02 PM.
    ·Bitzeralisis·

24. - Top - End - #234

SolithKnightGuy

Ertoth seems even more agitated, possibly growing impatient now.
    What do you puny things want? Why have you invaded our tribe like this! TELL ME!

Look inside
    Spoiler
    Show

Ertoth is attempting to intimidate the weakest looking one, the wizard of course.
    intim - (1d20+15)[16]
    Will save vs. the result or be intimidated and want to toell Ertoth what he wants, at least for the next round

25. - Top - End - #235
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Just realized it's probably a different day since we left. Here's my spells for the day.

Level 0
    Light
    Detect magic X2
    Detect Poison
    Resistance X2

Level 1
    Bane X2
    Detect Good X2
    Comprehend Languages
    Curse Water X2

Level 2
    Desecrate
    Owl's Wisdom X2
    Cure Moderate Wounds X3
    Death Knell

Level 3
    Animate Dead X2
    Protection From Energy X3
    Invisibility Purge

Level 4
    Cure Critical Wounds X3
    Dismissal
    Hypothermia (SC)

Level 5
    Spell Resistance
    Summon Undead V X2 (SC)
    Slay Living

Level 6
    Harm X2
    Heal

Level 7
    Ressurection
    Summon Monster VII

I got Spell Compedium today and I don't know if you have it or not. I changed a few spells, and if that's not OK, I'll change them back. If you'd like to know what they are, I could write up the descriptions in OOC

Elzaon

Elzaon sighs.

I think I could take him by myself if you guys keep the tribe out of it, at least for a little while.

26. - Top - End - #236

Harpist

If we're going into combat like this, then I at least want to know Ertoth's reaction to our actual purpose, here. For all we know, it may be completely different from our expectations.

And then, Harpist speaks up.
    "It may be true that we've come here to challenge you personally as a test of both of our skills. However, that intention is only secondary to the true reason for our visit."
    ---

27. - Top - End - #237

SolithKnightGuy

Ertoth seems to get even angrier at the games being played. Apparently, he wants the group to get on with it.

THEN WHY ARE YOU HERE!

28. - Top - End - #238

Harpist

Harpist looks up at Ertoth.
    "We were sent by an anonymous party to retrieve for them a female within your ranks who is with child," he says simply.
    "Challenging you to, *Ahem,* 'honorable' combat would be merely a perk."
    ---

29. - Top - End - #239

SolithKnightGuy

You will not RETRIEVE any of my females, let alone those with child! And especially not my daughter!

Apparently Ertoth's patience and or temper has been broken. After his short tirade, he quickly turns around and screams at the top of his lungs.

KILL THEM!

With that order, the giants and trolls that surround you gather their weapons at their sides, and prepare to follow orders.
    Last edited by Bronz; 2007-10-27 at 03:35 PM.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Ogre in the Playground

Pelemaeus

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative: (1d20+12)[14]

Hit Points: 98
    Armor Class: 35
    Fortitude Save: +4, Reflex Save: +19, Will Save: +13

Attack Bonus: +20/+15/+10/+5
    Weapon Damage: 1d6+3

With a flash, Supernal Clarity slides out of Pelemaeus's scabbard and flicks up into guard position. Without wasting any time to speak, Pelemaeus concentrates his inner self and prepares to fight with the perfect clarity necessary to master the art of the Diamond Mind.

Out of Character:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Can we get a map of sorts, before I post combat actions?
    Last edited by Neftren; 2007-10-27 at 04:16 PM.