New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Vanara swordsage AOO thrower

Any help is appreciated. Want to be great at battlefield control, primarily through throwing and possibly grappling. The character has a staff as a weapon. Currently the adventure is level 5 so it needs to be viable at that level.

Feats, maneuvers, stances - all help appreciated. Planning on swordsage 5 unless it really need dips.

Thanks in advance

2. - Top - End - #2

3. - Top - End - #3

Default Re: Vanara swordsage AOO thrower

Yes ... Climb 20, +8 to climb, +4 balance and jump, +2 int and wis, -2 str

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Not gonna lie I immediately went to go look at thrown weapon builds but then I remembered that Setting Sun has actual throwing maneuvers. For advice, I mean pretty much just pick throwing maneuvers and find ways to boost your opposed strength checks. IIRC most throws in ToB are trip checks so things like increasing your size will help. Certain soulmelds like Mauling Gauntlets can help I think. Maybe Kraken Mantle? Also having a lot of reach will be helpful for making opponents trigger attacks of opportunity, maybe grab Stand Still so you can stop them in their tracks and then throw them on your turn. Improved Trip will give you a free attack on anyone you successfully throw as well I think.

Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    Do you have a climb speed?
    I think Vanara have a climb speed? Not sure though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deeds View Post
    Caster backstories require a reason as to why they can cast spells. Wizards study hard to learn spells. Sorcerers often learn of their powers and then hone them through traveling. Clerics use piety to find the gift of spells through the gods or their ideals. Druids shun deodorant until a riding dog appears and they learn Entangle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Zom, my imaginary hat is off to you. *Horns? *What horns? *It's just an unusual hairstyle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    There are certain advantages to a game being as badly written as 3.5.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Be aware that Vanara got slightly nerfed in the Dragon 318 update, but if that isn;t in play, it doesn't matter...

6. - Top - End - #6

Thanks for the info about the update ... I'll let the dm know and let him pick ... Not a big deal either way.

The only way I've found to throw as an aoo is the feat defensive throw. Trying to build around that, with the idea of assume karmic strike or robilars Gambit later, I have:
    Swordsage
    Barbarian
    Barbarian
    Swordsage
    Swordsage

Barb took ferocity, city brawler, skilled city-dweller, wolf totem for trip, bear totem for improved grab. I don't think pounce really helps this build, and if I somehow increase size the grab might be useful.

Took 2 flaws, combat reflexes, midnight Dodge, adaptive style and then defensive throw at 3 (with improved unarmed strike and improved trip from barbarian)

Was between desert wind Dodge and midnight Dodge. Benefit of midnight is if I ever pick up other soulmelds through class or feat. Expeditious Dodge seems harder to apply moving 40+, although maybe if I take pounce instead?

Maneuvers and stances:
    Distracting ember
    Counter charge
    Mighty throw
    Wolf fang strike
    Sudden leap
    Moment of perfect mind
    Mountain hammer
    Cloak of deception

Child of shadow
    Hunter's sense

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

With setting sun -- you only took 2 of the manuevers. I doubt baffling defense is worth it if you have a high dex and armor and wis, but you might consider Step of the Wind for the bonus in difficult terrain for tripping.

I would be tempted by Pounce / Exepditious Dodge instead of the Midnight route.

If you stick with Midnight Dodge and Enhanced Grab, I would try and get some type of size increase. Phylactery of Change would let you go either Girallon gives you 22 str, 17 dex, large size.

If you stay midnight, you could stick with the girallon theme and take totemist 2 (so swordsage 1 / barbarian 2 / totemist 2)

Take Girallon arms - pump it up for +6 to grapple checks. I wonder what would happen if you were a girallon with girallon arms soulmeld? :)

I've never actually used soulmelds ... if you are a totemist with girallon arms bound to your totem and you invest 2 essentia into them, do you gain the benefit of the shape soulmeld and the binding, with the essentia powering both?

8. - Top - End - #8

Interesting question about the chakra bind. Reading the book, it says "a soulmeld can be bound to a chakra in order to gain a secondary (and often more potent) effect from it"

So it seems you get both the soulmeld and chakra binding?

If you essentia in, it seems to add to both I would think?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by schreier View Post
    Interesting question about the chakra bind. Reading the book, it says "a soulmeld can be bound to a chakra in order to gain a secondary (and often more potent) effect from it"

So it seems you get both the soulmeld and chakra binding?

If you essentia in, it seems to add to both I would think?
    That is Correct.