New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Types of classes

Hello everyone. I was trying to find out what type of classes would be seen in a campaign setting that is similar to movies like black death and Nicholas cage season of the witch?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Death_(film)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Default Re: Types of classes

Not D&D classes. D&D doesn't do non-magic well.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JackPhoenix View Post
    Not D&D classes. D&D doesn't do non-magic well.
    any recommendations on which section here I should I ask this question?

4. - Top - End - #4

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Stormtrooper666 View Post
    any recommendations on which section here I should I ask this question?
    You can make everyone non-EK fighter and non-AT rogue, with maybe few berserker/battlerager barbarians and open hand/kensei/drunk master monks mixed in, but that may not be that well recieved by the players. I can't think of any game that does non-magic, medieval world well right now... WFRP is one I have experience with, and the magic stuff can easily be removed while leaving enough variety.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Shadows of Esteren might be a better system for this style of game. The little magic there is in Esteren is subtle and dangerous, combat turns deadly fast, and losing your sanity is a major part of the game.

I hear Shadows of the Demon Lord is quite similar and a lot of people really like that system, but I have no experience with it yet. I don't know how prevalent magic is within the system.

GURPS and Savage Worlds can easily be molded to your needs, of course, though the pulp heroic feel of SW might go against your themes without some tweaking. Then again, these are both systems that are built to be tweaked. There's probably a published variant for both that covers this.

If you're just looking for medieval combat without all the fireballs, try Pendragon. Another system I haven't played, but I have some familiarity with the system itself. The way it handles roleplaying 'stats' in particular is really neat.

6. - Top - End - #6

There's a Lord of the Rings version of 5e that uses all of the same 5e rules, but makes new classes and abilities for a very low-magic campaign. Magic is still available, but very rare or high level stuff.

It'd fit what you're looking for perfectly: http://cubicle7.co.uk/our-games/adve...-middle-earth/
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2019-06-19 at 05:32 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

I've heard rumors of an old and anchient RPG called Pendragon, based on Arthurian myth, that does midieval supposedly fairly well, with also cool liniage features. I dunno, if it sounds good, look it up?