New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 26 of 46 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #751
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: General Anime/Manga Discussion 16: In Another Thread With My Smartphone

Quote Originally Posted by Cozzer View Post
    Yeah, early Nighteye characterization is probably one of MHA's few (in my opinion) writing fumbles. I don't mind a few fanservice scenes sprinkled here and there, but that tickle machine thing was slightly unconfortable for me, and I read and loved Prison School. And most importantly, it was eye-rollingly not funny.

Luckily this should last just another episode or two, then the worst parts of the characterization get toned down and Nighteye becomes a pretty solid character.
    Nighteye in general was also kind of a spike in the comic having a message of "you need to suck up to terrible people in your industry to learn anything in it, and refusing to do this means you're not ready to do what it takes and be the best", which has not been making me happy.

2. - Top - End - #752
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: General Anime/Manga Discussion 16: In Another Thread With My Smartphone

Quote Originally Posted by Drascin View Post
    "you need to suck up to terrible people in your industry to learn anything in it, and refusing to do this means you're not ready to do what it takes and be the best", which has not been making me happy.
    Something something {Scrubbed} mutter mutter
    Last edited by Ventruenox; 2019-10-24 at 12:43 PM. Reason: Cleanup, Aisle D&D

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

3. - Top - End - #753
    Barbarian in the Playground

Yeah, I think Nighteye was supposed to come off as overly strict and "kind of a jackass, but in a quirky and ultimately endearing way", but he ended up closer to "an actual jackass you'd want nothing to do with unless you're forced to" territory. He gets better once the story moves past the "new hardass mentor doesn't accept the main character" stage.
    Last edited by Cozzer; 2019-10-23 at 07:07 AM.

4. - Top - End - #754
    Orc in the Playground

Netflix is doing a new Ghost in the Shell series, and just released a trailer, and...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbc8tdWe6lY

oh
    oh god

5. - Top - End - #755
    Colossus in the Playground

Oh that looks miserable. What the **** did they do.

6. - Top - End - #756
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Ghost in the Shell: The PS2 Years.

7. - Top - End - #757
    Orc in the Playground

My eyes could be deceiving me, but it looks like the literal only things that move are:
    1. The Major
    2. The jeep
    3. a sand filter over the whole thing

Not even the damn trees and bushes move, even when they're the focus of the shot. It feels like they're deliberately doing the minimum possible animation. Were they about to lose the IP?
    Last edited by uncool; 2019-10-23 at 12:41 PM.

8. - Top - End - #758
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by uncool View Post
    Netflix is doing a new Ghost in the Shell series, and just released a trailer, and...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbc8tdWe6lY
    Memes back on the menu!

Anyone wants to do a Manga/Anime/Netflix adaptation?

9. - Top - End - #759
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay. I just watched the Ghost in the Shell teaser and.... It wasn't that bad? I mean, I was expecting much worse based on the comments here. But... it was fine? Maybe a bit low-effort, but perfectly acceptable as a teaser.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnel View Post
    where is the atropal? and does it have a listed LA?

10. - Top - End - #760

Quote Originally Posted by gomipile View Post
    Okay. I just watched the Ghost in the Shell teaser and.... It wasn't that bad? I mean, I was expecting much worse based on the comments here. But... it was fine? Maybe a bit low-effort, but perfectly acceptable as a teaser.
    Contrast it with other GITS stuff and that's thte issue. The original SAC was animated beautifully, and this...

Like, yeah, it's not BAD, but it looks like a student film. She looks to soft and generic, like she has no actual character to her. And while you could argue that makes sense given the type of body she uses, it still just looks so... basic. It feels wrong.

11. - Top - End - #761
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Contrast it with other GITS stuff and that's thte issue. The original SAC was animated beautifully, and this...

Like, yeah, it's not BAD, but it looks like a student film. She looks to soft and generic, like she has no actual character to her. And while you could argue that makes sense given the type of body she uses, it still just looks so... basic. It feels wrong.
    Is the phrase "asset flip" applicable to anime? Because it looks like the background assets and character design were done by two completely different people. They're not even using the same cell shading.

Unity asset store shopping cart:
    Dusty palm tree: $0.99
    Sagebrush: $0.50
    Ruined city: $10.00
    Jeep, with working suspension: $5.00
    Anime girl: $25.00

The character has no facial expression at all, and it's wierding me out. Plus, what is she looking at? She gets out of a jeep in the middle of nowhere, comments on how quiet it is, but doesn't look around at the scenery.
    Last edited by Excession; 2019-10-23 at 04:17 PM.

12. - Top - End - #762
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by gomipile View Post
    Let me illustrate my point with literally the first example of an anime teaser I could think of, and one I don't think I've seen before. Here's the first BNHA trailer.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIb3nnOeves

There's plenty of low-effort parts. The text, the pan on an unmoving All Might. But it has some moments that clearly say "We put effort in here. You will enjoy the animation" - and the low-effort moments are there to support those big moments. The composition of the punch at the end - every component works together to sell it. The background, the lighting on his eyes, his torso and legs, and of course the hand itself all work together to sell the punch. And some moments that point to character - All Might is the consummate confident hero with that huge smile over the shoulder. The hand cut that suggests a change from aspiration - a hand held out - to execution - the punch itself.

The BNHA trailer doesn't look like something popped out by a starting animation student. It shows polish and direction. The GitS teaser literally looks like amateur videos I've seen submitted to the early Saxxy awards, just with somewhat smoothed animation. The unmoving generic backgrounds, the simple animation of the few things that do move with almost no interaction, hell, even the cut that barely suggests continuity that clearly can't be there, and which isn't clearly thematically important. And that's not to mention how little character there is in it. She doesn't even look like she relaxes when she implies she should feel relaxed - and her screech to a halt doesn't go well with relaxation. It looks like a beginner's effort, with none of the care or love that went into the older series.

It may be just how we approach teasers, but this is our first introduction to the series' animation. It's something they specifically excerpted for our first impression. I expect the teaser to absolutely have some signs of high effort. So if the entire teaser is this low-effort, that seems to me like a strong indicator that very little effort went into the whole series.
    Last edited by uncool; 2019-10-23 at 05:01 PM.

13. - Top - End - #763
    Troll in the Playground

Amateurish is an understatement. I’ve seen amateur projects that look like more effort.

Moreover, nothing about the video reminded me of GiTS. This could be anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

14. - Top - End - #764
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reddish Mage View Post
    Amateurish is an understatement. I’ve seen amateur projects that look like more effort.

Moreover, nothing about the video reminded me of GiTS. This could be anything.
    Eh, she is recognizably the Major, and the tachikoma is on the jeep.

But other than that...yeah.

15. - Top - End - #765
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I was serious when I said "PS2 Years". It looks like a PS2 era FMV from something like FFX. The textures are higher res, but other than that FFX FMVs actually out-animate this teaser trailer. A better comparison would be to PS3 era in-engine cutscenes where they're using already existing assets to build a video rather than animating a high quality video from scratch.

Hell, compare it to an actual video game trailer from several years ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-stRXMhNgzA

16. - Top - End - #766
    Orc in the Playground

From a pure direction standpoint: the non-text half consists of 5 shots. 3 very short shots, one short shot, and one long shot. The ruin-centered town shot, the upwards shot of the palm, the street-centered town shot, the desert shot, and the shot of the Major. All of them feel silent; none of them reinforce what she says at the end - if anything, the screeching stop detracts from it.

A quick rewrite: the sound must follow what she says. She has to start with noise, that slowly fades away as she gets further and further from the city or town. So in the rewrite, the first shot has her passing by a clear town square, with what probably should be voices. Second shot, on the edge of town, a few voices. Third shot, town in the background, a couple of voices. Fourth shot, somewhat longer, shows the desert as the Major slows to a stop, and the last voice dies off. Fifth shot stays mostly the same as the original - a bit shorter of a tilting shot; enough to show that it's the Major. Same line, but use the extra time to have the tachikoma loudly say something. It adds a bit of humor to remember, reminds us of some of the things we loved in the originals, and even builds the relationship between the Major and the tachikomas.

It's still pretty generic, but at least it has something to remember.

17. - Top - End - #767
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Drascin View Post
    Nighteye in general was also kind of a spike in the comic having a message of "you need to suck up to terrible people in your industry to learn anything in it, and refusing to do this means you're not ready to do what it takes and be the best", which has not been making me happy.
    Much like all of us, the people of My Hero Academia live in a society.

Bottom Text

18. - Top - End - #768
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Some of the background elements are literally 2D. It looks a lot like TF2 or Crackdown, really boxy cell shading that gets muddy in the background. I'm not a Ghost in the Shell person, but the art is a full decade out of date.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

19. - Top - End - #769
    Barbarian in the Playground

I, uh. How could anybody think presenting that trailer to the public was a good idea? That was embarassing.

20. - Top - End - #770
    Titan in the Playground

Jeez, I don't even like Ghost in the Shell and I'm embarrassed on behalf of its fanbase.

It's not quite Berserk 2016 bad, but the fact that that monstrosity even makes a glancing reference across your brain is damning enough.

21. - Top - End - #771
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    It's not quite Berserk 2016 bad, but the fact that that monstrosity even makes a glancing reference across your brain is damning enough.
    I think it's worse. Berserk had "some" animation. This is basically we animated Major and her car.

22. - Top - End - #772
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by -D- View Post
    I think it's worse. Berserk had "some" animation. This is basically we animated Major and her car.
    "And we didn't do put that much effort into it."

Yeah, that's bad. But the two directors for the series are very talented and know the source material. I don't see ANY of their flair there. It's like it was put out by a third party as a stopgap or something.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

23. - Top - End - #773
    Ogre in the Playground

Two directors, could be God Kings of the Eight Noble Paths, that won't mean ****, if they have a nonexistent budget and two 3D animator guys.

24. - Top - End - #774
    Orc in the Playground

@Golden Kamuy season 2 ep 1

can animal lovers watch this show?

at first, i just took all the hunting as a sort of realism, but with season 2's opening episode-

maybe the creator just likes gore.

---

stray dogs continues to be a strange show... (in a good way)

Ellenate <--- Click for Ellenate webcomic, season 3!
    Ellenate Twitter <--- Click for pretty pictures.

25. - Top - End - #775

Quote Originally Posted by ellenate View Post
    @Golden Kamuy season 2 ep 1

can animal lovers watch this show?

at first, i just took all the hunting as a sort of realism, but with season 2's opening episode-

maybe the creator just likes gore.

---

stray dogs continues to be a strange show... (in a good way)
    Okay so, you really need to specify what you mean exactly about Golden Kamuy being weird about gore.

Because yeah they kill a lot of animals but it's always with a lot of respect given to them, tehy use every part they can, and there's a lot of cool learning.

Yes they kill a lot of humans, but most of them are bastards who deserve it and on the whole it helps to contrast the "good killing" of animals.

Yes there is a man covered in human skin that he tanned and turned into clothing in the opening and yes it's unsettling and weird but that's just a part of the series; people are ****ing weird out in the wilderness with nothing to do but exist.

If any of this sets you off that's perfectly fine and I would encourage trying to watch it anyway, because I swear it's good. It's oh so very good. But no, this series doesn't have a weird thing for gore, it's just... very gore-y for thematic reasons, at times.

26. - Top - End - #776
    Ogre in the Playground

I just realized something about Demon slayer.

Spoiler
    Show
    Tanjiro's didn't kill a lower moon demon until Train arc.

EDIT: Spoiler fix and fixed Tanjiro's name.
    Last edited by -D-; 2019-10-26 at 06:00 PM.

27. - Top - End - #777
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by -D- View Post
    I just realized something about Demon slayer.
    May want to spoiler that since the anime isn't there yet? I know it's technically true based on what we've seen already, but there's an implication there* that's a definite spoiler for season 2 of the anime assuming I'm reading your post correctly.

Spoiler: *
    Show
    that Tanjiro is going to kill a lower moon demon in the Train arc

28. - Top - End - #778
    Orc in the Playground

Okay so, you really need to specify what you mean exactly about Golden Kamuy being weird about gore.

Because yeah they kill a lot of animals but it's always with a lot of respect given to them, tehy use every part they can, and there's a lot of cool learning.

Yes they kill a lot of humans, but most of them are bastards who deserve it and on the whole it helps to contrast the "good killing" of animals.

Yes there is a man covered in human skin that he tanned and turned into clothing in the opening and yes it's unsettling and weird but that's just a part of the series; people are ****ing weird out in the wilderness with nothing to do but exist.

If any of this sets you off that's perfectly fine and I would encourage trying to watch it anyway, because I swear it's good. It's oh so very good. But no, this series doesn't have a weird thing for gore, it's just... very gore-y for thematic reasons, at times.

Generally speaking i put story over just about everything else.

that said, it's all inline with the story, so i wouldn't really label it as weird...

just gratuitous in the amount but i wouldn't drop it for that.

Ellenate <--- Click for Ellenate webcomic, season 3!
    Ellenate Twitter <--- Click for pretty pictures.

29. - Top - End - #779

Quote Originally Posted by ellenate View Post
    Generally speaking i put story over just about everything else.

that said, it's all inline with the story, so i wouldn't really label it as weird...

just gratuitous in the amount but i wouldn't drop it for that.
    If it helps any the anime toned down a lot of the gore. I guess this is what it means to live the Seinen manga high-life.

Also god I love the story of Golden Kamuy so much. It's so good.

30. - Top - End - #780
    Bugbear in the Playground

Netflix released a teaser for another 3D animated show. The difference here is remarkable. I would love to see an analysis of why this works when the GitS teaser didn't. All I can tell is that this is good, but I can't work out the details of why.
    Last edited by Excession; 2019-10-27 at 06:36 PM.