New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

Default [IC] War of the Dragon [Fate Core]

The IC thread for War of the Dragon, a Fate Core heroic fantasy play by post inspired by Dragonlance.

Players:

OOC thread
    Recruitment thread
    Wiki

2. - Top - End - #2

Beholder

Default Re: [IC] War of the Dragon [Fate Core]

It was the rainy season — or at least it should have been. The small nameless border village straddling the King’s Road near its crossing at the South River was known largely for its singular way stop. The Round Fig had not seen a drop of rain in more than a month. The droughts had plagued much of the southern Frassinian lands for far too many seasons, and there was no indication this would end any time soon.

Inside the thatched two-story guesthouse and distillery, a small throng of the usuals — mostly local farmers and villagers — filled all but one of the scant scarred and stained tables of the common room. One or two vagrants occupied the odd seat, but fewer and fewer intrepid wanderers took to the roads during these difficult times. Although the court intrigue seemed far away, the blight that afflicted much of the kingdom and the ongoing schism left much uncertainty. Although lighthearted by nature, the southrons displayed signs of dampened spirits. Among the usual fare were also whispers of some nameless dread to the east.

Despite the poor crops and higher costs of filling their tuns and casks, there was still much to be done by the Fig’s current keeper. The floors were dusty. The oil lamps needed refilling. The woodpile needed replenishing, and the ostler was braying on about something from the recesses of the inn’s modest stable.

Dusk left the sky azure as more people filled up the small common room. And there was still much to do.

Spoiler: Getting Started
    Show
    Go ahead and introduce your characters. I wrote this only with the idea that Melkath is currently within. I’ll try not to let banter carry on indefinitely. There’s definitely an inciting incident on the horizon.

Don’t forget to post with your character’s name in bold along with current FP’s and any checked stress. Let’s assume the following shared quest has taken up much of your time (though not in one another’s company):

Agreed on a shared quest...I’d suggest something with both a protection of the kingdom/religious significance bent to it, since those are both important ongoing issues. Perhaps they’ve been made aware of a cult rising up into something even more sinister that seduces many of King Corin’s lordly subjects. He’s probably set upon reviving the old ways despite the Silence of the Gods (which probably concerns him). That might have some bearing upon each of your shticks (Melkath/Hachikat -- protect the little guy; Amedeo -- courtly intrigue; Yorn -- enforcement).
    Last edited by roryb; 2019-06-27 at 01:28 AM. Reason: Few typos

3. - Top - End - #3

Yorn Lambart
    Fate: 4
    Physical 1 [] 2 [] 3 [] 4 []
    Mental 1 [] 2 [] 3 [] 4 []

The villager's arm slowly inched towards the table, the red faced strongman straining every inch of the way. When his knuckles hit the sticky wood the small crowd cheered heartily and Yorn raised his flaggon laughing in victory. ""Another falls!" He drained his flaggon, tossing the empty cup to the ground before thinking better of messing up Mel's bar again. He stumbled over and bent shakily at the waist to pick it back up while the grumbling villager left for the bar to buy Yorn's prize.

"Now, who's buying my next round?" Yorn asked the bar's regulars grinning widely. They all looked curiously to one another, then cautiously, as Yorn grew impatient. "Truly? Is there no-one else?!" His voice boomed throughout the bar. "Has manhood gone with the drought?! Darts! Boxing! Something!"

"Is there a man here in which the red blood of Frassinia still flows?" His eyes turn challengingly to his friend Amedeo, and then on to Melkath and Hachikat smiling. "Or perhaps a woman? A fair maiden who will come to you damsel's rescue!" Despite his words his tone is merely an exaggerated theatre anger and the knight doesn't single anyone out as he plays for the crowd's benefit.
    Last edited by Mr Stereo1; 2019-06-27 at 06:01 AM.
    Insanity is checking the IC twice and expecting a different result.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

DruidGuy

Amedeo (3 Fate Points)

Amedeo is sitting on a corner by himself. He is wearing mail as is his custom. Over it is a purple and white surcoat with a silver unicorn. He doesn't wear his family's colours often, but it seemed appropriate for the occasion. He looks down to his cider and drowns the urge to curse in it. Amedeo doesn't curse. That doesn't change the fact that everything has gone amiss.

Just this morning, he was at the manor, as guest of Lord Tragone, the local baron. Although the throne is safe from the Mantelli's claws, for now, Amedeo hasn't forgotten that there is something else beneath their failed intrigue. What it is, he isn't quite sure, but he can surely smell its rotten stench. He has been to the manor for the past few days trying to figure out whether Lord Tragone is a friend or a foe. Unfortunately, politics are hardly ever straightforward. In his zeal for protecting Franissia, he has upset the baron. And what is worse, he hasn't discovered whether he is in the plot or not, let alone anything new about it.

Yes, Amedeo is in a bad mood. He puts down his tankard as he looks up at Yorn, who is throwing his challenge. Franissian blood, you say? he says. Well, Frassinian blood here wouldn't mind another drink.

Spoiler
    Show

I'm not sure what skill that'd be? Athletics? Brawl? I'll wait to add the skill bonus.
    At any rate, it's really not Amedeo's best day.
    Okay, it's Might:
    Arm wrestle Yorn: 4dF -3+3 = 0

Might against alcohol:
    Resist Strong Spirits: 4dF 1+3 = 4
    Last edited by MrSandman; 2019-06-27 at 03:05 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Hachikat Silverborne
    Fate: 3
    Physical 1 [] 2 [] 3 []
    Mental 1 [] 2 []

The harpy raises an amused eyebrow at Yorn, letting out a short laugh. "I wouldn't want to sully your image, friend." With that, she returns to the small group she had been conversing with. Wherever she went, people would want to touch her wings or ask her questions. She found that this made for a great segue into seeking information for her own purposes - which were pretty much always someone else's purposes really - and also in finding new tasks to set her mind to. Many were polite to her, though curiosity could lead to some grabbing or uncomfortable questions about whether she laid eggs like a chicken does. The answer to that was often an exasperated "Not quite."

Her travel clothes were beginning to chafe and itch just a little. Often they weren't made to accommodate those with her particular anatomical features, and needed a lot of adjustment, which required different sorts of materials. The results ranged from being too large, too tight or a monstrosity of patchwork. She wanted to get out of them as soon as possible and slip into something a bit more flowing. Perhaps one day she would ask for someone to tailor things especially made for her.

"So - As I was asking, do you know anything about any shrines around here?" Hachikat speaks in lowered tones when asking about this. The droughts, to her, seemed suspicious. She could feel the Winds through her feathers, or at least, thought she could sense something wrong around here. Perhaps it was just the dry air. While asking her questions about activities around shrines, she also had to be wary of those who she was working to defeat, those who wished to use the ancient power of the shrines against the natural world for their own gain. Every so often, she would feel tainted winds from far away in her feathers. The other week she'd been following tip-offs about a group, following the rumours into a trap. Since then, she had been wary of any information she received pertaining to her purpose.

6. - Top - End - #6

Yorn Lambart
    Fate: 5

Spoiler: Roll (Yorn Wins barring Invocations)
    Show

Roll Link -2 on Skill 3 vs. Amedeo's -3 on Skill 3

"There's nothing to sully!" Yorn laughs cheerily at Hachikat, returning to his chair at the big center table. "Barkeep! Two more! His lordship will be buying." Yorn flexed his hand and squared his elbow to a comfy nook in the wooden table. It had been too long since he'd had the chance to relax like this among friendly faces, with no cursed cultists sniffing about waiting to shank him or put poisons in the cups.

"Come and live a little friend, you've been brooding all day." Yorn says to Amedeo as he joins him, grasping hands and pushing against one another. The balance tilts slowly towards Yorn though the two men were closely matched in strength. "World's... not ended... yet." He grunts out, face flushing with exertion.
    Last edited by Mr Stereo1; 2019-06-27 at 08:04 PM. Reason: Changed World's not over to world's not ended and evening to day.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Melkath
    FP: 3
    Physical Stress: OO
    Mental Stress: OO

Melkath had been ignoring the drunken ramblings, going about her busywork as usual. Setting the fire, setting the lamps, setting the tablecloths, setting the whole d*mn place up day in day out. It was starting to wane on her psyche. She hated her job, she hated these people, and had been feeling homesick for months now. Half the populace that walked in looked at her like she was some slab of meat, and the other half was just plain boring. She wanted out, she wanted any excuse to be out, she wanted-

Someone had called for a drink. The rather oafish fellow who she had met a few times before, one of the few she had trusted her story to. She didn't know why, probably because she had too much to drink that one day. She eyed him with a look of scorn, he was beyond besotted. She snarled,
    "This is your last one. If I have to drag another unconscious fool who can't hold his liquor to the stables, I'm quitting."

Melkath stomped to the near empty bottle of Swig, nothing like the wine back home. She'd smelled piss that was more fragrant than this stuff, and didn't know how anyone held it. She supposed if you were desperate or poor enough, the swill would do just fine. She quickly filled two tankers with the remainder of its contents, and returned to the pair of men with them, extending them each one in turn, a neutral expression plastered over her face despite the frustration she felt.
    "I'M just a guy with a boomerang... I didn't ask for all this flying... and MAGIC!!!" -Sokka

Quote Originally Posted by Wuff View Post
    the biggest nerd ever who transforms into BEAR is of course alluring.

8. - Top - End - #8

Beholder

The two men were similar, yet quite different. However, in their current state, their differences were muted by the swill-infused bravado that shook the rafters whenever their rejoinders rose to ruckus laughter. While the two continued to noisily measure their mettle, Hachikat’s conversation with a poor but proud farmer and his son was all the more easily hushed under the scrape of chairs, grunts of exertion, and guffaws.

Alon shared a strange look with his son. “There is an old shrine — abandoned for years — in the old forest across the river. It’s overgrown and no one goes there...well, at least until recently. It has a bad reputation. At night, we’ve seen odd lights from that direction...”

The farmer recounted some of their observations that the old holy site was not entirely uninhabited of late. Besides the nightly will-o-the-wisps, when fishing, they had come upon refuse, and sandaled prints along the riverbank. During the drought, the river was little more than a parched stream, and it was easy to cross. As to how much traffic was coming and going to the old forest, he and his son couldn’t say. They had mostly kept to themselves, and tried their best not to let curiosity bring any unwanted misfortune to their already poor luck.

Melkath caught a few snippets of the conversation as her duties swept her near enough to overhear. There was also a singular man dressed in dark leathers who finished his drink on the opposite end of the common room. He had been watching with his attention mostly fixed upon the two men. He left two coins on the table and left the Fig.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Okay, we can say Yorn beat Amedeo by a small margin...I think a single roll should suffice for the contest. Yorn gets his fate point for the compel, having INEBRIATED with 1 free invoke (for the GM; if Amedeo wants to use the aspect, he’ll have to spend one of his own points to invoke it).

Normally, this isn’t a very good compel...I would normally say that there has to be some sort of hard complication that comes into play (he gets kicked out! He wakes up on a ship in the middle of the ocean! ...or similar complication). We’re using it to graft on a mechanical effect I’ll make use of later. Just letting you know that I consider this rather weak sauce, but we’re going with it.

Amedeo does indeed get a point. That man who left is a henchman of the same Lord Tragone who is not so enamored of the master fencer, and this man’s presence here is probably no coincidence! Or is it? However, being engrossed in his match, Amedeo will need to make a Good (+3) Spot Overcome to even notice. No one else really has reason to note anything unusual about the man, unless anyone can think of one based on the brief description. Melkath can use her Bartending later versus +1 to answer if she’s seen the man before if asked.

GM’s FPs: 4
    Yorn: Inebriated [ 1 ]

9. - Top - End - #9

DruidGuy

Amedeo (4 fp)

The noble didn't expect Yorn to be particularly easy to wrestle, but this match is already taking longer than expected. Just then, a movement catches his attention. He sees the man in dark leather walking out of the Fig. That momentary distraction is enough for Yorn to capitalise on and win the match, leaving Amedeo's wrist slightly sore.

Suspicious man, outside, he mutters to his old war friend as he leaves a coin to pay for the next round of drinks on the table. Then he points to the door with his gaze and follows the man outside as quickly and quietly as possible.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show

Spot to notice shady man: 4dF 1 +2 = 3.

This is a tie, so Amedeo succeeds at a minor cost, I believe. I have little so suggest as to what this minor cost might be, other than the man realises Amedeo has noticed him.
    Last edited by MrSandman; 2019-06-28 at 08:45 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10

Yorn Lambart

He ignores Mel's threats knowing no bar owner would throw out a customer like him in hard times like these. Yorn guffaws at his hard fought victory joyful with the thought of imminent free drink but his amusement disappears when he hears Amedeo's warning. "Can't we have one ****ing night?"A dark scowl on his face he rises shakily to his feet and checks for his sword at his belt, coins in his purse and King's Warrant in his pouch. Assured he has everything he'd really need he shoves Amedeo's coin into a pocket and lumbers after him.

"I'm still getting that drink Mel!" He shouted to the Fey barmaid as he leaves the bar fairly quietly for a drunken man of his stature. Following after Amedeo he keeps an eye out for any suspicious looking fellows, especially the posher kind. Half because he knew Amedeo had troubles with them and partly because his purse always needed refilling so catching some wicked lordling would be a pretty happy accident for him.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Melkath

Melkath took the mysterious stranger's coin, pocketing it in her moneybag. She looked after the two, and quietly muttered back in a serious tone, "Good luck with your business, Frassinian."

She proceeded to take the coinage from that night, what precious few there was, and store it in the iron lockbox that contained the coinage of the day, again, what precious few there was. She wouldn't deny Yorn his drink, not with times like it was. She liked the man, and didn't want him falling unconscious in the middle of the road.
    "I'M just a guy with a boomerang... I didn't ask for all this flying... and MAGIC!!!" -Sokka

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

Hachikat Silverborne
    Fate: 3
    Physical 1 [] 2 [] 3 []
    Mental 1 [] 2 []

Hachikat smirks at Yorn's response despite herself and her serious business. It was hard, sometimes, being her, she lamented silently to herself.

"Thank you for your help. I'll see what I can do for you. I might not be able to fix the drought, but I can ask for some sort of help to be sent. I know many people that would support a farmer and his family happily." The harpy beams at the two men, laying down her payment from the last job and pushing it towards them. "Stay safe. I hope things get better, weather-wise." She stands, allowing them no chance to refuse.

Her back aches slightly from the way her wings have been curled around her for so long. Spreading her wings in such a tight space might not be the best idea. Hachikat starts moving towards the bar, then reconsiders. She wants to be out in the open, and besides, she's sure that she seen Yorn and Amadeo leave the place anyway. She'd not had much time to herself recently, or time to just spend with someone else, speaking to them. The thought of having a normal conversation with friends almost makes her strangely giddy.

A nod is directed towards the barmaid as she departs, but whether the busy lady saw her, she couldn't say. She didn't envy Malketh in the least.

13. - Top - End - #13

Beholder

The two men stumbled outside after the mysterious patron. Amedeo had the nagging feeling that he recognized the fellow. However, when they got outside, dusk had deepened to night. The oil lamps hanging outside the threshold of the Fig confounded initial attempts to spot their quarry, but it was not long thereafter when they did.

A large twisted oak stood at the end of the lane that drew up to the Round Fig just where it met the main road. There, three dark figures huddled together until the two men exited the establishment. Immediately, the three figures fled in different directions into the night.

Hachikat presently joined her two friends at the threshold.

Show
    I think the situation dictates that Stealth is not a possibility at the moment (but may soon). Currently, the two can't tell which of the three figures was the man in the Fig.

GM's FPs: 4
    Last edited by roryb; 2019-08-03 at 12:17 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14

DruidGuy

Amedeo (4 Fate Points)

Well, that does make them even more suspicious , Amedeo says. Then he runs off to chase the closest cloaked figure.

Show

That'd be an Athletics roll. And not a very good one.
    Chase suspicious figure: 4dF -2 +2 = 0

15. - Top - End - #15

Yorn Lambart

Yorn glares into the darkness for whoever had disturbed his night, squinting as the lights of the lamps hurt his eyes. He doesn't see anything, but he hears Hachikat step out with them. He can't help but smile at that, his foul feelings disappearing as the old group was almost back together again. If only Mel wasn't such a stick in the mud. "Hach!" he greets, "Amedeo's..."

Then Amedeo was running.

"Come on!" Yorn blearily grasps the hunt is on quickly enough when he sees Amedeo set off haring after someone, grabbing the Harpy's hand with a wide smile and trying to pull her along after Amedeo. "That's the bad guy!"

"THIEVES!" He shouts out as he runs, "Assassins! Heretics! Lock your doors! Fetch the Bartender!"

Spoiler
    Show

Athletics Roll to Pursue 0 on Skill 2

No attempt to grapple or anything if Wuff wants to do something different. Yorn is running after the same figure as Amedeo.
    Last edited by Mr Stereo1; 2019-06-29 at 07:24 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

"I am not going out there!" Melkath shouts back as she continues her work in the bar. She still had cleaning to do, there were still patrons in the bar that had to be looked after, and it was just her luck that someone would ring for room service upstairs while she was out heroing, they'd be angered by the delay, and she'd get a dock in her pay. She was not chasing after some random cloaked figure on the orders of a drunk old warrior.

17. - Top - End - #17

Beholder

Amedeo led at the fore, being more present of mind than his counterpart. However, Yorn was not far behind him. The figure ahead had a good lead. His features were indistinct in the dark, but he ran with urgency.

Inside the Fig, Melkath was free to go about her tasks as another hot, but dreary mortal night tolled away. At least when the common room was closed, there would be some solace in her activities sans annoying and loud patrons to distract her.

However, the smell of smoke suddenly caught her attention. Did Salivar leave the onions on the fire too long again? Suddenly, a chaotic scene through the window drew her attention. Two unbridled horses flew past the lamplight outside in such a way as to make her doubt her vision. Casting her gaze to the stable, the orange flicker of flame caught her eye. A scream from upstairs suddenly froze her in place as she realized the Fig, too, was aflame.

Show
    Since it seems you’re going after a single fleeing perp (pending Hachikat’s action), I think it would be most fun to treat this as a normal Contest. That means one of you rolls for the Overcome, and the others either roll to create advantages and/or add a +1 teamwork bonus if you’ve got at least +1 Athletics. There’s also a Dark aspect on the scene. It seems fairest at this point, since you’ve already rolled, to treat the first roller as the main Overcome for the first exchange. You’ll be rolling against an active opposition of +0 (see below for the roll).

@Mr Stereo1, you want to treat your roll as some sort of advantage roll? If so, you can change the skill to suit. Presumably, Hachikat will be able to help, perhaps with a Scout advantage or something if she goes along.

The roll to beat for the first exchange is:
    Active Opposition (Contest Overcome): 4dF -3. That’s already enough for a success with style (and, thus, 2 victory points), but I’m leaving room open for invoking some things after I see what you all do to help (or hinder) this exchange. Assume a difficulty of +0 for most advantages, unless it seems darkness would be a factor, in which case, you’ll need a +2 or better.

Reading the rules again, I’m seeing even the one who rolls the main Overcome also can roll an advantage. Failing an advantage adds the complication that you can’t add to the Contest any Overcome or teamwork bonus.

As for Melkath, this is somewhat of a decision-based compel, so I don’t really feel bound to charge you a Fate Point for refusing on this one, but here it is: having Not Of This World sort of implies that the Round Fig is her one and only anchor point in Frassinia. It would stand to reason that she might put herself in harm’s way to try and save the patrons and the establishment itself before saving herself. You can shape in what form that will come if you accept, but I’m thinking she goes to save the lodging patrons and gets herself trapped with escape cut off. You may have better ideas.

Is it worth a point to you? Naturally, On Fire! is now an aspect back at the Fig.

Also, @Celticbear, don’t forget to put Melkath’s name in bold along with current FP’s at the top of your posts.

GM’s FPs: 4
    Outside: Dark
    Inside: On Fire!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

Hachikat is pulled along, laughing melodically as the darkness envelops her, tightening her grip on Yorn's hand and keeping up with him as the two speed after the figure, and after Amadeo. She'd normally have something witty to say, but the breath is driven out of her lungs by the exertion of running. She feels like wooting, but needs to keep her senses sharp and focused on the task at hand if there's any hope of catching the strangers.

In the dark though, however, it's hard to see. Just as her harpy eyes begin to adjust to the darkness, a branch whips out of the black and into her face, an overhanging tree leaving her momentarily dazed and blinded, leaving her only able to follow the guiding hand ahead. The muffled squawk catches in her breathless throat.

Show

Ouch.
    Wanted to use scouting to point out obstacles and create something like a Clear Path...
    4dF+1: -2

19. - Top - End - #19

Beholder

Yorn stumbled through a hedge as he tried to break away from Amedeo in their pursuit in order to herd the figure. Tripping him up, he and Hachikat fell behind. Amedeo kept a good pace after the fleeing person. However, as the figure darted around a copse of trees off the road, Amedeo momentarily lost sight in the darkness.

Show
    As per the OOC conversation here, Yorn's action adds nothing to Amedeo's roll. I'm down one FP and one free invoke on Yorn's Inebriated aspect.

Furthermore, their quarry will spend a FP on that Dark aspect to get a reroll:
    Dark aspect invoke for a reroll: 4dF 1

Unless someone invokes something, that now becomes a Victory Point for your fleeing perp. Assuming no one does change the sum, we go to exchange #2.

GM’s FPs: 4 --> 3 --> 2

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Melkath

Melkath didn't quite comprehend what she saw at first. That few seconds may have cost her life, but she didn't want the fig to burn even if it was mildly annoying two minutes earlier. She leapt into action, screaming out at her loudest volume, "Fire! Fire!" before getting buckets of cold water to put splash out the fire a bit. While she was over there, she rang the loud dinner bell that would summon anyone from their rooms upstairs to rush downstairs and hopefully out. She kept continuing to out out the fire, and wouldn't leave until everyone else had.

Spoiler: OOC Questions
    Show
    Survival Overcome to put out the flames? Should I spend a Fate point to say there was a loud ass dinner bell?

21. - Top - End - #21

Beholder

Such was the speed and clamor of Melkath's sudden outburst and bell tolling that even the patrons most in their cups moved with haste. These filed out through doorway, window, or whatever other avenue they could find to the relative safety of the out of doors.

Show
    Nice roll, @Celticbear! That's 4 shifts and a success with style. Melkath not only gets everyone out safely, but gets a boost besides. However, since she's taking the Compel, I want to pin down what that means. Does she trap herself within, collecting her few heirlooms or get asphyxia? One of the compels I hate most is when it says: "Ok, you're done. You can do nothing."

Perhaps the weight of the compel is that the Fig burns down and someone drags her clear just before the thing comes down in ash? What do you think? That would mean forget about the next roll.

GM’s FPs: 2
    Yorn: Inebriated

22. - Top - End - #22

DruidGuy

Amedeo (Fate Points: 4>3)

Amedeo stops for a moment to figure out his surroundings. The darkness makes it hard to see detail and potential hazards along the way. But Amedeo has been in similar situations in the past. He is used to finding his way and knows what to expect around a populated area. So he can quickly spot a clear path going in the same direction as the other running figure.

Without further delay, Amedeo starts running as quickly as he can, making use of his observation and avoiding all possible obstacles in the way.

Show

Amedeo tries to find a clear, fast path to keep chasing the figure:
    Spot best route: 4dF -3 +2 = -1

It's not very good, but since he's Travelled a lot, I think he should have some experience with finding his way in the dark, he's probably had a similar adventure, or had to move in the dark for some reason. So, I'll invoke it to get a reroll:
    Invoke aspect to get a reroll: 4dF 1 +2 = 3

This should be enough to succeed (I don't think he'll succeed with style, as darkness is a factor here, so I imagine the difficulty will be +2). So I shall name the aspect Clear Path

He'll roll Athletics to keep chasing shady bloke. Since they're running and it'll probably be a short-lived aspect, I'll use my free invoke on Clear Path now:
    Athletics to chase suspicious figure: 4dF 1 +2 +2 = 5

23. - Top - End - #23

Yorn Lambart

Yorn bounces up out of the bushes, grateful the hedge was just the usual leafy kind not briar like he'd woken up in ditches with the odd time. Pushing himself up he hears whinnying and clip clopping sounds coming towards him, he checks the pile of feathers is alright and reaches for his sword hilt before he recognises the black patch against the night running toward him.

"Sarnor! How'd you get loose? Get over here!" He shouts to the horse, grabbing it by it's mane and jumping up off a nearby bit of wall. The other horse keeps running in Amedeo's direction. "You want a ride Hach?" He asks reaching his hand down.

Harpy onboard or not he sets off after Amedeo, looking for the shifty, shifty, figure who was hopefully also carrying lots of money or at least had the decency to work for a very wealthy and very evil nobleman.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

Spends a Fate Point on Declaring the Story Detail that one of the unbridled horses fleeing the stables was Yorn's horse Sarnor and he's fleeing towards Yorn. This creates the Aspect 'Mighty Black Stallion'.

Athletics Roll +0 on Skill 2 to Create Advantage 'Mounted Pursuit'

I continue to give Amedeo my +1 from assisting with the chase if applicable.
    Last edited by Mr Stereo1; 2019-07-01 at 01:03 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24

Beholder

The figure darts out from a denser copse as Amedeo and now the mounted Yorn gain on him, flushing him out. The man exerts a huff of exasperation and panic as he goes headlong over the road toward the river. However, the gap is close enough that Amedeo can see this is not the same man from the common room of the Fig.

Show
    Okay, the number to beat is:
    Opposed roll: 4dF 1
    That's easily enough for an overall success with style, and thus, 2 Victory Points, regardless of what Hachikat does.

Victory Points:
    Fleeing Figure - 1
    Team PC - 2

Yorn: Inebriated; Mounted Pursuit [ 1 ]
    Amedeo: Clear Path [ 1 ]

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

Hachikat reaches her hand up to grab onto Yorn's pulling herself up towards him and using her wings for leverage to get up onto the horse behind him. "Let's go!" It'll be faster on horse, surely? Her legs are already slightly tiring, and her wings are just weight on her shoulders to make matters even worse.

"Who do you think these guys are?""

26. - Top - End - #26

Yorn
    Fate 4

Yorn desperately tries to keep his balance and steer Sarnor in the right general direction. Good thing he knew Amedeo really, meant the panicked animal probably wouldn't trample him.

"Bad guys" Yorn replies simply, grinning as Sarnor caught up. "Rich noble kind too if Amedeo's who they're here for. Think of all the good their gold could do! Now, remember how we got you into Culverine's keep?"

Yorn reaches back to grab the harpy as they come up near to the fleeing man.

"Amedeo! Drive him here!" He shouts.

Spoiler
    Show

Likely can't assist Amedeo with Athletics now but he can have the Mounted Pursuit invoke. I spend a fate point if necessary on any rolls to control the horse justnroll for me.

I want to roll for a Might +3 advantage for Hachikat from throwing her from the horse towards the target.

27. - Top - End - #27

Beholder

No one could stop the fallen fey Baroness as she fought the flames, ensured every soul had vacated each room, and sought to recover her few remaining heirlooms while there was yet time. Many tried to stay her from entering the Fig with another bucket, but she couldn’t be stopped. It was her only harborage in the unfamiliar and alien world.

Yet, it was a thatched hut in the midst of a drought. Furthermore, it was a distillery of a fine liquor of highly combustible nature. The fire spread quickly before igniting a cask and setting off a chain reaction of disastrous proportions. A violent explosion suddenly rocked the countryside and flattened the Round Fig with its bartending proprietor inside...

Upon the bouncing back of his steed, Yorn hoisted Hachikat at his side and made ready to throw her as Amedeo maneuvered. The figure ahead of them pumped furiously, but was only now a small distance ahead.

Show
    Question for @Celticbear: would the Moderate Consequence, Accursed Ringing of the Ears or Concussion be too much? I’m going for something that’s a little bit lasting, which is why I’m eyeing the consequence. It looks also to be something requiring medical attention.

That’s a Flying Harpy Aspect for Yorn with 2 free invokes. Here’s the bad guy’s opposed roll for exchange #3:
    Opposed Roll: 4dF 0. Should be easy to beat.

Leaving the final description of how that goes down to you all.

Victory Points:
    Fleeing Figure - 1
    Team PC - 2

Yorn: Inebriated; Mounted Pursuit [ 1 ]; Flying Harpy [ 2 ]
    Amedeo: Clear Path [ 1 ]
    Inside: Flaming Ruin
    Melkath: [negotiating consequence]

28. - Top - End - #28

DruidGuy

Yorn waits until the distance is short enough. Then, he takes Hachikat by her waist and flings her in the direction of the fleeing figure. Hachikat extends her wings so as to glide in the air, and falls accurately over the figure, with the result that they both crash onto the ground and roll a few feet.

The figure stands up quickly just to find Amedeo's dagger pointed at him. He tries turning away, but just then Yorn arrives on his horse and skillfully outmanoeuvres him. I liked you better on the ground, says Yorn as he kicks the man on the chest, causing him to fall again. Why don't you stay there?

The figure sits up, but is otherwise compliant to Yorn's request. Amedeo, with his dagger still in his hand, stoops down, pulls down the figure's hood and points his dagger at his neck. Well, well, well, why don't you start by telling us who pays you and your farabutti* friends? he asks politely.

* Plural form of farabutto, which is Italian for "ruffian".
    Last edited by MrSandman; 2019-07-03 at 01:48 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29

Beholder

The figure, once properly decowled, was a repellent man of bald pate, pale complexion and feral disposition. His frock was something modeled in likeness to (or mockery of) a monk’s habit — roughspun and cinched at the waist with course hemp rope; except that it was filthy, tattered, and splotched by stains that appeared to be dried blood. Wild bulging eyes darted to and fro. A strange blemish or tattoo marked the center of his sweaty forehead.

“I am Mauve,” the man replied without reservation in a thin, strained voice. His manner was highly disturbing. “All will be revealed in time.”

Then, those crazed eyes — the eyes of a lunatic frenzied by a level of devotion granted only to the truly unhinged — singled out Amedeo. “Your time is nigh, brother!” He spoke with a gnarled finger poking toward the fencing master’s breast. “You are marked, and the mark must be redeemed!”

Show
    Mauve will answer a few questions (you’ve earned it!). But I’m not going to give everything away just yet. Each of you present can get one question answered. Roll your preferred social skill versus a Fair (+2) difficulty. Tie = muddled answer with a hint of truth; Success = at least something concrete; Success with Style = a concrete answer to a question. Pose your Q’s in character. Anything failing is either crazed babble or disinformation.

Fanatical Cultist
    “All Will Be Revealed in Time!”
    Fanatical Cultist +1

Yorn: Inebriated; Mounted Pursuit [ 1 ]; Flying Harpy [ 2 ]
    Amedeo: Clear Path
    Inside: Flaming Ruin
    Melkath: [negotiating consequence]

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Melkath
    Physical: OO
    Mental: OO

It was so warm with the fires, and now it was so cold. Melkath was beginning to lose consciousness. The world around her was so numb, but she couldn't help feel that she was forgetting something.