New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Re: [IC] War of the Dragon [Fate Core]

Amedeo (Fate Points: 3)

Amedeo sighs. Why did it have to be a lunatic? he thinks. Since Mauve doesn't look like he is going to try any shenanigans, he lowers his dagger, but doesn't put it away, it still points in Mauve's general direction.

So tell me, Mauve, what are you and your friends doing in this area?

Spoiler: OoC
    Show

Well, you said our preferred social skill, and since Charm is Amedeo's only social skill... Though if you don't think it's an appropriate situation for Charm, I'll happily take a failure (or maybe spend a fate point, depending on how well the others roll)
    Ask question: 4dF 1 +3 = 4

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

Yorn
    Fate 4

"Your kindness is wasted here Amedeo. Yours too Hach." Yorn's fist knocks the madman back to the dirt, a hard and bitter note in his voice as he examines the rusty bloodstains on the stolen monk's robe. "I know your damn dril and it's bull. All of it. You won't be spared, you might be eaten last, your so called God doesn't give a fig about you."

He lets the cultist see the mark on Serrenna on his blade as he places it to the man's throat. "You'll find me a damn bit less forgiving than some gentle old priest, so tell me who have you lunatics got 'marked' besides my friend here."

lntimidate Roll https://orokos.com/roll/739748 +0 Skill 2 plus 2 from Scary Guy stunt for credible violence.
    Insanity is checking the IC twice and expecting a different result.

3. - Top - End - #33

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by MrSandman View Post

So tell me, Mauve, what are you and your friends doing in this area?
    “Many things,” the man said sibilantly. “We live to resurrect the Nerone. In that aim, we have allies.”

Yorn cut off Mauve before he could clarify his vague yet chilling proclamation.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Stereo1 View Post
    Yorn
    Fate 4

"Your kindness is wasted here Amedeo. Yours too Hach." Yorn's fist knocks the madman back to the dirt, a hard and bitter note in his voice as he examines the rusty bloodstains on the stolen monk's robe. "I know your damn dril and it's bull. All of it. You won't be spared, you might be eaten last, your so called God doesn't give a fig about you."

He lets the cultist see the mark on Serrenna on his blade as he places it to the man's throat. "You'll find me a damn bit less forgiving than some gentle old priest, so tell me who have you lunatics got 'marked' besides my friend here."
    The man’s bulging eyes nearly popped free of their sockets like errant bottle corks when Yorn abruptly seated him again.

“All of you!” the fanatic wheezed between gasps. His face took on a snarl. “The Dragon comes! And none can now stop him. Even the unwitting King is incognizant of his approaching peril, and he will be the first to be swallowed, along with his paltry loyalists! The Black Mandrake shall be the banner bearers to the approaching storm.”

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    So, if it’s worth a Fate Point to Yorn to get that success with style, you can get a follow-up question related to his answer as well as a boost to help Hachikat.

Fanatical Cultist
    “All Will Be Revealed in Time!”
    Fanatical Cultist +1

GM’s FPs: 2
    Yorn: Inebriated
    Outside: Dark
    Inside: Flaming Ruin
    Melkath: [negotiating consequence]

4. - Top - End - #34
    Orc in the Playground

Hachikat Silverborne
    Fate: 3(-1?)
    Physical 1 [] 2 [] 3 []
    Mental 1 [] 2 []

Hachikat eventually finds her balance, again, crawling to her feet after having been so unceremoniously flung at the man. She brushes herself off, looking ever so slightly miffed, but seeming to get over it somewhat quickly, considering. Then, she ponders, her wings and silver feathers ruffling themselves as she rolls her shoulders once or twice to make sure nothing is dislocated or otherwise broken in the crash. Her sharp harpy eyes fixate on the cultist, narrowing as her mind teases out what she can see from him, picking out details in his clothes, his stance, down to the way he speaks.

"Worry not, my 'kindness' will not get in the way here. I fight for the oppressed, not the oppressors." She plucks a dislodged feather from her wings, running a finger along it. "Although this man is a tool, he is a willing one, he seeks rewards, and power for his service. If it were not its own form of blasphemy, I would decorate the next shrine we came across with his broken form as an offering to the true gods."

Hachikat rubs her fingers idly together as she looks the deranged man up and down.

"I don't fear your mark. I have a duty to Them, and They will protect their own."

Spoiler: Judgement
    Show

Hachikat will not ask a question, instead, she will use her Judgement (Empathy) to work out this man's aspects/secrets.

Judge The Cultist 4dF+3: 0

Since that failed badly, I'd like to invoke "In Service to Higher Powers" due to her allegiance with the gods/against cultists for a reroll, which would result in:

Invoked Judgement 4dF+3: 2

if accepted.

My rolls are awful, pfft.
    Last edited by Wuff; 2019-07-04 at 06:15 AM. Reason: Bolded stats

5. - Top - End - #35

Yorn
    Fate 3

He grunts in acquiescence to Hachikat's words. She looks fine so he'll Square with her later.

The threat to his King brings out a different hotter fury in Yorn "You'll fail." He digs the blade deeper into the Cultist's throat drawing a trickle of crimson blood. "A mob like yours could never breach the capital's walls, even now. A poor man's assassin'd never get near the royal keep. What story did they feed you? You going to summon your Dragon?" His tone is one of mocking derision laced with a heavy bitterness. "They'll kill all you grunts to do it you know, even when it works like they think it does."

Roll -2 on Intimidate +4

https://orokos.com/roll/739867
    Last edited by Mr Stereo1; 2019-07-04 at 06:56 AM. Reason: Spotted wife's post

6. - Top - End - #36

Beholder

Hachikat’s glare was piercing. During her service to the shrines, she had come across gross negligence and horrific desecrations. What was not entirely unknown were some of the cultists and their defiling ways, which shared some traits. Many believed that by washing the sacred touchstones in sacrificial blood they would convert the remaining divine power to serve the demonic powers or their false gods.

The harpy well guessed this man’s role in his cult.

The man winced as Yorn’s angry blade drew blood. He swallowed hard, attempting to hide his fear under his fanatical devotion. However, Yorn has him rattled. “The Dragon draws ever nearer day by day. The first scouts of his army are likely even now near the Broken Coast*. This our visions have told us...”

Suddenly the shock of the explosion drew everyone’s attention. When they looked again at Mauve, he was gone.

*Broken Coast is the name for the northeastern shore, a rugged line of cliffs and crags.

Show
    I added Perverter of Shrines, which Hachikat can invoke once for free. That extra roll for Yorn isn’t necessary...the follow-up was part of his initial roll modified for Success with Style.

Fanatical Cultist
    “All Will Be Revealed in Time!”
    Perverter of Shrines [ 1 ]
    Fanatical Cultist +1

GM’s FPs: 2
    Outside: Dark
    Boost: Rattled
    Inside: Flaming Ruin
    Melkath: [negotiating consequence]

7. - Top - End - #37

DruidGuy

Lo svergognato! Goodness knows where he's gone now... Amedeo tries to look for signs of Mauve, but gives up pretty quickly. Methinks we shall have to consider him escaped. I suppose we should head toward the explosion, lest it be said of us that we didn't come ready to aid those in distress.

8. - Top - End - #38

Yorn
    Fate 3

The big man cuses fiercely, but bites down to grab Sarnor gently enough by the mane. "Only 'til we can get to the coast and kill the lot of them."

"We need to warn the king," he mutters before looking back down the alleyway a shade of fear on his normally immovable face. "did that bang come from Mel's place?"
    Last edited by Mr Stereo1; 2019-07-05 at 06:48 AM.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Orc in the Playground

Hachikat Silverborne
    Fate: 2
    Physical 1 [] 2 [] 3 []
    Mental 1 [] 2 []

It takes a moment for Hachikat to realise the status of this cultist after she’s finally laid eyes on him properly. Her wing behind her back begin to rise instinctively, ready to axe down, when the sound throws her concentration off. Her head whips to the direction of the blast, and when she turns back, Mauve is gone.

"You damned..." The harpy spews out a string of extremely violent and abusive squawking expletives, her form quivering in unbridled fury, before she storms off back in the direction of the bar wordlessly, her oath resounding in her mind.

"I will be the saviour of the commonfolk when no one else will take up their fights."

She had no choice in the matter, but she would track this man and deliver her judgment on him if given the choice. Right now, the commonfolk needed her help, and a particular fey bartender.
    Last edited by Wuff; 2019-07-06 at 04:51 AM.

10. - Top - End - #40

Beholder

Melkath had been pulled from the burning building just when a flaming timber beam came down. The glancing blow to her head and the tremendous heat had caused her to black out. Even now, as she came to consciousness, she sputtered from the smoke in her lungs. However, her savior was nowhere to be seen. She was at a safe distance from the accursed and beloved Fig which was little more now than a smoldering ruin.

The three others came upon her at that moment. However, at least two other fires burned at other homes beyond some of the trees. Frequent shrieks and screams rose above the crackle of flames. Nearby, Hachikat saw another crazed fanatic grappling with a young woman who had been dragged from her home. Two others chased after two children. Chaos still racked the small village.

Was Mauve just a raving lunatic? Had his insistence that Amedeo was the intended mark been nothing but lies or the capriccio of mad raving? Why was his consortium now chasing down the innocent rural folk of the little southern crossroads community?

Show
    By the way, this is officially scene 2. Yorn has his situation aspect removed. I put Concussed for Melkath for now for her moderate consequence. Amedeo can always roll that Lore as something that's nagging him whenever. I'd set a Fair (+2) difficulty. Success at a cost or minor cost is on the table...mostly this would be probably in the form of little details that escape his recall at the moment, but that it's something he should really know.

GM’s FPs: 4
    Fig: Smoldering Ruin
    Melkath: Concussed [Moderate]
    Last edited by roryb; 2019-07-07 at 01:43 AM.

11. - Top - End - #41

DruidGuy

Amedeo (Fate: 3)

Amedeo takes only one split second to become furious and decide his next course of action. He draws his sword and runs towards the ruffians chasing children as he calls, Canaglie! Briganti! This sword shall be your undoing!

Show

Unless something happens on the way or the cultists stop and beg for merci, Amedeo will strike one of them:
    Melee against cultist: 4dF -3 +4 = 1

12. - Top - End - #42
    Orc in the Playground

Hachikat Silverborne
    Physical 1 [] 2 [] 3 []
    Mental 1 [] 2 []

Hachikat breezes past Malketh, ordering her to hide herself briskly, a screech of pure wrath and hatred building within her chest as she takes in the scene around her. Her wings are already fully raised as she charges forward towards the cultist assailing the young woman. It looked like Amadeo had the children.

Her whole form barrels forward into a deadly strike. Whether the cultist repents or turns on his old ways, she has decided that today, she will be his executioner. She would absolve him of all the crimes he had committed up until this point with her swooping wings, which twist around now to strike him while her body shifts into a fighting stance. She can feel her swooping strike unfold as her wing descends from above. At this point, she unleashes her berserk shriek, the sound morphed by her fury and the force of the buffeting wind.

Show

13. - Top - End - #43

Yorn
    Fate 3

The light in Yorn's eyes fades as he takes in the familiar chaos and sound of slaughter. As Amedeo rushes to save the children and Hachikat the woman he hoists Melkath up over his shoulder and makes for the fires. He trusts his friends to win their battles, the rest of the village would need defending.

Whoever could fight would have to be organised, whoever couldn't would need to be put under guard somewhere safe from the fires, then whatever of the village could be saved would be. He plots a rough route to sweep through the village and watches for any cultists, living civilian or flame-free buildings.

Spoiler
    Show

I want to organise the peasants I'm finding to form a safe zone around a surviving building to put Melkath and everyone injured inside. Maybe get a band of farmers with pitchforks following me around.

Roll was -2 on a Melee 4 +2 from the Bloody Experience Strunt for +4 total. Let's call it a 'Sweep and Clear!' Advantage.

https://orokos.com/roll/740438

I figure carrying Melkath around is some kind of penalty to Might and Fight actions, could decide on what now? Say we make 'encumbered' a situation aspect for Yorn or agree on a -1 penalty?

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

Melkath
    Fate: 4
    Physical: OO
    Mental: OO

Melkath was crumpled on what she thought was the ground. Her everything hurt, her head most of all. It smelled like something was burning on the stove, she should probably go to the kitchen and make sure the non-iron skillet was off the burner. Her Gaes that told her never to wield iron probably only meant swords and the like, but she wouldn't take chances. As she tried to stand up though, she found that she didn't have the strength to. When she opened her eyes, the pain in her head only got worse as everything got brighter. Her vision slowly cleared, and she saw a burning building with the sign of the Fig on it. Memory came back to Melkath. She tried to stand up again, shouting and wincing in pain, failing again. She resigned herself, wrapping her arms around the man, and began to cry.
    Last edited by Celticbear; 2019-07-07 at 03:03 PM.
    "I'M just a guy with a boomerang... I didn't ask for all this flying... and MAGIC!!!" -Sokka

Quote Originally Posted by Wuff View Post
    the biggest nerd ever who transforms into BEAR is of course alluring.

15. - Top - End - #45

Beholder

All around, pockets of chaos, screams and fire dotted the nighttime village landscape.

Show
    Sorry for the priest one-line IC post. Much of this you all can narrate in your way. Okay, assume the same stats for each of these Nameless NPCs (no stress):

Fanatical Cultist +1 (both skill and aspect)

Dealing first with Amedeo. Defense: 4dF -2. They don’t get any teamwork bonuses, because they don’t have a relevant skill at +1 or better. So, even with Amedeo’s paltry roll, he can take them both out. I leave the description to you, @MrSandman. Even with reducing by one, he can get a boost.

Similar story with Hachikat...I won’t even roll against that one!
    Yorn gets his advantage.

It sounds like Melkath is not on board with getting tired around. @Mr Stereo1, revise, perhaps? Even though she has a consequence, she can still take action herself.

And @Mr Stereo1, it sounds like you are proposing a Challenge type situation:

1. Organize the village folk/find a safe place (+2)
    2. Repel the threat (as a single Overcome type roll instead of turn by turn conflict) (+3)
    3. Put out fires/secure area (+3)

The immediate conflict is done, so once the follow-up posts are made regarding the current conflict, state what you’re doing in the overall Challenge.

GM’s FPs: 4
    Yorn: Sweep and Clear [ 2 ]

16. - Top - End - #46

DruidGuy

Amedeo's shout catches the attention of some of the townsfolk nearby. Unfortunately for the cultists, they only see him when he is upon them. The steel of his blade and mail shimmers due to the fire, which gives him a heroic look.

Unceremoniously, he cuts the first cultist's neck open. The second one almost has time to react. Almost. But Amedeo quickly grabs the blade of his sword by the middle and strikes his head with the hilt. The cultist falls unconscious on the ground.

Then, he quickly turns to the children and kneels before them. After making sure they're alright, he points them towards Yorn and tells them to follow him. He then gets up and proceeds to help evacuate and organise people.

Show

Okay, so the first bit is the description of Amedeo's previous action. Since it seems that we won the conflict, the terms I'd like to set is that one of the cultists is dead and the other one is unconscious and we should be able to take him prisoner.

Also, I would like to reduce the roll by one to create an aspect with a free invoke (as per his stunt Martial Awereness). The aspect I would like is something that reflects that Amedeo and his friends' heroic intervention has caught the attention and earned the trust of some of the nearby folk, so something like People's Attention, maybe?

As for Amedeo's new action, he'll give a teamwork bonus to whomever rolls to organise the folk, assuming he's got the skill they'll be using. Otherwise I'll retcon it to something else. Actually, I'm about to go to bed, so if anyone rolls anything that Amedeo has points in, feel free to describe how he helps and add the teamwork bonus. Feel free to use the free invole on People's Attention as well.
    Last edited by MrSandman; 2019-07-07 at 04:58 PM.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Orc in the Playground

Hachikat's wing meets the neck of the cultist with a sickening cracking-squelching sound, and his head seems to snap forward at an unnatural angle, dangling, until Hachikat buries her foot in the chest of the corpse, throwing the corpse back a little. When the head hits the ground, it falls limp, looking barely attached to the rest of the body. Hachikat uses her wing to temporarily block the sight of the woman, telling her to get to Yorn and pointing him out before the harpy turns on her heel. Her feet are hitting the ground before her wings have properly settled back into place, as she moves to deal with the rest of the cultists. Her duty is clear, and any mercy, sympathy or protective instinct she has within her is wiped from her mind and heart. Her wings drip blood where the silver had sliced through veins.

She is prepared to tear through many more to protect the people here. Her mind flashes back to the first revolution she had been present for. Back then, she had only used her wings to shield others. Whether she was right then or not, she's unsure. Now, though, the Gods have called her to duty, and she will serve as needed, with no mercy for blasphemers. They would all fall for their crimes against divinity.

Show

Hachikat will reduce the value of her hit by 1 on the first cultist to gain the transient aspect/boost "Bloodied Wings" which she will immediately invoke for a +2 bonus to her next action unless she gets 3 or more fudges on her dice.

She will use her Wings to slay any remaining cultists, as violently as possible. If any try to flee, she will run them down.

At the end of the the "scene" I want her wings to be practically dripping for dramatic effect in her next scene, if it's allowed.

Repel the threat 4dF+4: 4+2 = 6

18. - Top - End - #48

Yorn
    Fate 3

"Villagers! To me if you want to live!

Yorn spots an old man holding a makeshift club staring out from his porch in shock at his burning village. It was across the road from the other homes, a good enough fire break for now.

"You kids! Get inside!" He shouts at the two children Amedeo had saved. "You! You don't know someone you don't let them in, lock or barricade everything."" He says pointedly to the shocked old man, as the terrified woman Hachikat had saved rushes in towards the children and hugs them fiercly.

He gently sets Malketh down inside the hovel, checking she's still breathing and that's all he can do for now. He doesn't know what to do with the crying Fey. "It'll be alright." He tells her lamely, as another scream sounds out outside the door and he hand flashes to his sword.

Rushing out the door he sees another pair of the cultist scum, one carrying a torch and marching towards the old man's home. A young man, more a boy, lies face down before them with blood pooling about him while a younger girl runs towards the house.

Yorn storms forward towards the cultists.

Spoiler
    Show

I tentatively roll Intimidate to Overcome and gather the peasants. +2 total for that so I succeed at a minor cost unless the assistance of Amedeo and Hachikat is allowed with different social skills.

It looks like I have two Invokes for Sweep and Clear so I'll spend one to succeed cleanly if I haven't already.

https://orokos.com/roll/740725

I'm pretty sure we'll clear the Fight Overcome easily so assume Yorn Assists with that and if someone attempts the securing area/putting out fire overcome they can use the second Invocation.

19. - Top - End - #49

Beholder

Fires spread. At Amedeo's feet, his vanquished enemies gathered the attention of the surrounding folk who viewed the swordsmaster with awe, if but for a moment. In the further extremes of the village, Hachikat's wrath was something to behold. None could withstand the bloody angel as foes fell under her feet. Those few that survived fled into the night.

Show
    Very good. Hachikat gets style and then some. She can have a lot of extra stuff happen, including that her wrath takes care of the repelling without the need for help from anyone. She also gets a new boost to reflect this. Amedeo spares a survivor and gets the job done, getting his aspect with help of his stunt. Yorn gets his success with spending one on Sweep and Clear. Amedeo's teamwork bonus raises that to +5, enough to get style. Choose an appropriate boost.

This leaves the final stage of the Challenge. I'm spending a fate point on Fires Everywhere (a new appropriate aspect) to up the difficulty to +5. It should still be no problem for you all with your potential boosts to use. I'm thinking this is an athletics type roll. I'd say social stuff is on the table too, but you've already rolled a social one. But those socially generated boosts can still come into play to represent townsfolk helping you.

Fanatical Cultist +1 (both skill and aspect)

1. Organize the village folk/find a safe place (+2) Success with Style
    2. Repel the threat (as a single Overcome type roll instead of turn by turn conflict) (+3) Success with beaucoup style (and abundance of bloodied wings)
    3. Put out fires/secure area (+3) --> (+5) (pending)

GM’s FPs: 4 --> 3
    Yorn: Sweep and Clear [ 2 ] [ 1 ]
    Hachikat: Bloodied Wings [ Boost ]
    Amedeo: Peoples' Attention [ 1 ]
    Area: Fires Everywhere

20. - Top - End - #50

DruidGuy

The nobleman looks around for a moment and realises that the threat of the cultists has been repelled and that the people seem to be safe. Seeing the people who gathered around, he decides to make the most of the situation and organise them to put out the fire.

Alright, everybody listen! We must put out this fire before it's too late. We're here to assist, but we need everyone's hands. Those who are able, let's join together and form a line from the well to bring water. Those who can't help, please stay safe and out of the way. Let's do it!

Show

Amedeo is trying to encourage people to put them in a helping mood. So I'm rolling Charm to create the aspect "Helpful" on the people. I'll also use the free invoke on "People's Attention" to boost the result.
    Encourage people: 4dF 0 +3 +2 = +5

Edit: Whoever ends up rolling to put out the fire, use any free invokes we get from this aspect.
    Last edited by MrSandman; 2019-07-08 at 03:46 PM.

21. - Top - End - #51

Yorn
    Fate 3

He cut down the two cultists with little difficulty or emotion. He liked to think if it ever mattered Serrena was pleased by that. His companions seemed to have made light work of the others. Typical enough, these kind of rabid dogs could never stand up to any real resistance. That's why they'd prey on the weakest they could find.

Fleeing the flames and heading towards the nearest island of safety other families and lone figures rushed towards him. For now they were safe, but Yorn knew from hard experience that now they only faced a slower death from starvation unless something was done.

Looking to the empty-eyed and frantic survivors Amedeo gathers up, the stronger were sent to gather axes and hammers, the weaker to the well for water. They may have to be sparing with it in the drought. Fire breaks were the order of the day, and damn anyone who thought saving their hovel was worth starving next week.

"Where's your granary? Your stores and tools? Those come first."

Show

Athletics Roll to Put out Fires was +2 https://orokos.com/roll/740895

I'd like the Boost 'Helpful Survivors' representing everyone saved by the band rushing to help out which I add to the roll.

If Sweep and Clear's remaining Invoke can apply I'll also apply that for Yorn organising the firefighting.

I'll also add Amedeo's offered invocation.

With Boosts, Invokes and Assistance if we Succeed with Style I'd like to say we saved the Granary and Toolsheds because we acted quickly and the Cultists were out to burn people first, stores second. With the Granary and their equipment intact at least the people won't starve.
    Last edited by Mr Stereo1; 2019-07-09 at 08:04 AM.

22. - Top - End - #52

Beholder

With the quick thinking and fast heroics of the three, danger had been averted. Several of the robed briganti had been slain and more driven off by the harpy's wrath. Amedeo and Yorn's work together quickly and effectively mobilized the survivors, who saved the critical resources of the town, including the granary and smithy. Soon, all were safely huddled together and most of the homes were saved from complete destruction. The epicenter, it seemed, was the Fig, now a smoking ruin.

Amedeo's second villain, now safely bound and guarded, began to rouse. When he realized where he was, his eyes darted to the angry and frightened townsfolk huddled about him. If this one had been seduced by the mad sect, his eyes and movements showed him not to be completely consumed by lunacy.

Melkath's head and minor scratches were being attended to by the town leech.

Show
    Still part of scene 2 here.

Edit: Added that last bit to to show Melkath's consequence can be considered marked for the purposes of starting healing, but it'll stick through about scene two of our second session.

GM’s FPs: 3
    Last edited by roryb; 2019-07-10 at 01:49 PM.

23. - Top - End - #53

DruidGuy

Amedeo (Fate: 3>2)

Amedeo quickly looks around to find his companions. Yorn, Hachikat! he calls them. Let's have a chat with our prisoner, shall we? I want to send him to the king. He must be warned immediately, and sending one of the uprisers seems a good way to convince him this is actually happening. But first, let's see how much he is willing to talk.

He then walks toward the prisoner and takes off his gloves as he sats down next to him. He leaves the gloves on his side and comments casually, How do you fancy being charged with treason and uprising against the king? Was it worth The Fig?

Show

At this point Amedeo isn't particularly trying to get anything, just figure out what kind of person the prisoner is. Hachikat with her empathy will probably be helpful, but l'll roll empathy for Amedeo in advance as I wait for a response.
    Empathy to read prisoner: 4dF 0

Also, I would like to roll Lore now to see if Amedeo might know anything related to the cult, such as a former claim to the throne by someone related to dragons or any sort of prophecy or something like that.
    Lore to know stuff related to the dragon coming: 4dF 0 +1 +2 = 3
    And since he's had a good education, he probably should know about that. So I'd like to invoke Highborn Education and Manners for and extra +2. (If that's not enough, I might spend another fate point to invoke I Have Travelled a Lot, as he might have found something in one of his travels)

24. - Top - End - #54

Yorn
    Fate 3

"Was it worth your life?" Yorn asks, looming menacingly over the man with a soot stained face. Sobriety didn't suit him tonight. "You just blew up all the drink in town, you murdered my King's people and you hurt my friend." His big hand grasps the man's throat pushing and pushing slowly until the man can't breathe.

As his face reddens Yorn continues to speak lowly. "I could do this proper, find a judge and hang you. That'd be the tidy way to do it. I could kill you now, but Amedeo wants to talk to you. So I'll let him, and if you don't talk back all nice like?" He lets the man finish his hacking coughing and regain his breath before he finishes, bringing his face close to his.

"I'll leave you all tied up here with these people." Yorn points to the haggered locals gathered around them, and the cold fury with which they glowered at the cultist. "You're the only one we took alive you know? That's going to be an awful lot of anger they'll be taking out on you..."

Show

I roll Intimidate to create the Advantage 'Bad Cop' for Amedeo and/or Hachikat's interrogation and empathy checks. Result +5 with Scary Guy, +3 without.

https://orokos.com/roll/741420

In other news my new PC's arrived so I'm back at full capacity.

25. - Top - End - #55

Beholder

As Amedeo took stock of the situation, the nagging feeling that something important was looming gave way to more dread as realization set in. He recalled stories of his boyhood under the tutelage of his mentor assigned to him by his father. The old insegnante’s* classical schooling included many fine points of history and literati, some obscure and others less so.

In centuries gone by, many tyrants and invaders tried or succeeded in sacking the coasts and cities of Frassinia. During a particularly unpleasant time during the Schism of the Three Banners, a cruel eastlander beyond the sea invaded with a fleet of coasters and hardy men that quickly overwhelmed the feuding baronies. A thirty-year darkness overwhelmed the realm until a secret alliance was forged between the three feuding families. They were able, through deceit and stealth, to repel the tyrant. Il Barbaro was his name among the Frassinians, and he was a cruel savage commanding unquestioning legions and fearsome sorceries.

One hundred years later, a descendant — some even said Il Barbaro himself preserved by undeath — returned with an even greater navy. The invaders never took the coast, but the yearlong war staged from Frassinia’s eastern archipelago was devastating and ushered in a new dark age of plague, curses, and death.

Il Barbaro took on the moniker of Drago.

Though his defeated navy retreated, the legends of his undying desires to conquer the west still filled many who studied the accounts with fear.

By this time Yorn had finished his act, and the cultist was clearly shaken by the browbeating and threat of violence. He looked fearfully at Yorn, Amedeo, and the rest of the villagers.

In response to Amedeo, the man spoke. “This wasn’t my idea...”

* master/teacher

Show
    First thing, I would give a +3 difficulty on Amedeo’s Lore roll. That’s a full success. That’s figured into my post above.

As for Yorn’s intimidation roll, you’re also dealing with a lucky Opposed roll: 4dF 3 Courage Opposition. That’s quite high, but Yorn’s Bad Cop is still a success, granting 1 invoke for free.

In typical Fate style of not requiring secrecy, you’ll know this man’s High Concept. He’s a Reluctant Follower. Anyone using Empathy can certainly put free invokes on it, but you’re free to look for other useful aspects as well.

Against Amedeo’s read, it’s a Opposed roll: 4dF 0. That’s enough to get one free invoke, or a different boost on something you’re looking for.

Yorn: Bad Cop [ 1 ]

26. - Top - End - #56

DruidGuy

Amedeo (Fate: 2)

Amedeo sighs. On the one hand, a reluctant cultist is about the best source of information they could find. On the other hand, it will probably be hard to both spare his life and uphold the law. At any rate, this might be their last hope of destroying the threat before it is too late, so information must be gathered.

Well, ragazzo*, he starts, calmly, as you can see, my friend here would gladly put you to death immediately. The peasants you have offended would most certainly like to take justice into their hands as well. He points first at Yorn and then at the angry people around them, but he is very careful to make it sound as a situation assessment rather than a threat. After a short pause, he continues, Luckily for you, I'm not as interested in executing you as I am in gettint to the bottom of this matter. Since you seem to have some reservations regarding your associates' ideas, I propose a deal. You tell me what this is all about, and I shall do every effort to spare your life. Amedeo waits a moment for the cultist to think about it. Then he starts asking, Who set you up to this? Who is behind it all? Why did you try to burn down this village?

* boy

Show

First of all, Amedeo will tell the others what he remembers about Il Barbaro/Drago as soon as he gets a chance. So if I forget to mention it, assume he's done it as soon as it's narratively appropriate.

For the cultist, I'll roll Charm to try and get him to talk, because he is being diplomatic and he will honestly try his best to get the man a good deal if he cooperates, so he wants to establish some trust and good rapport. I will also use the free invoke on Reluctant Cultist.
    Charm to get cultist to talk: 4dF -1 +3+2 = 4

If I need it to succeed (or to succeed with style), I'll also take the free invoke on Bad Cop that Mr Stereo has so generously offered for another +2.

27. - Top - End - #57

Yorn
    Fate 3

Yorn looms menacingly. He's seen the Cultist's type, or the type he claimed to be, before. When a tide swept over you you went with it or you fought and died. The difference was between the ones who ran the moment they got the chance and the ones who gave up pieces of themselves bit by bit until they were no different than the ones who swept them up.

If this man had killed here, or killed slow by burning the village's lifeblood, then Yorn would feel nothing for his death, but he values the information Amedeo might gather enough to keep his peace for now.

Show

I don't see Yorn actually helping with anything he could do at the moment.

If circumstances allow other social skills to Assist than a shared skill then his looming could be Assistance for Amedeo?
    Last edited by Mr Stereo1; 2019-07-11 at 08:57 AM.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Orc in the Playground

Hachikat Silverborne

Hachikat has to restrain from ending this cultist right here, as vulnerable as he is, but instead she silently observes how the man acts. She didn't care about what he was saying. That didn't matter to her in the least, what mattered to her was who this man was, inside, and that's what she was trying to work out. Her eyes flicked over his form. She'd gathered that he wasn't as in to this as his conspirators, but still, he would pay. Hachikat had another form of penance for him to serve in her mind though.

As she works him out, she approaches him, lifting his face upwards towards her with a hand, gazing down upon him, her wings high behind her back and the small, dying pyres behind those, casting a shade over him and lighting her form up with a grim glow. She scrutinised his face as she spoke down to him, but loud enough so that the others could hear her clearly. Her red-silver feathers rustled, causing the light cast by embers to reflect off of them in a strange pattern momentarily

"Executing you would be a waste indeed. You can repay your great debt to the gods by becoming the warden of the local shrine. In these times more than ever, we need people to watch over the sacred places."

The last of the blood dripped from her wings as she spoke. The rest had dried with the heat or distributed across the battlefield.

Show

Hachikat will use her Judgement on the man, sussing out his aspects if possible.

Judging the Reluctant Cultist 4dF+3: 3

29. - Top - End - #59

Beholder

Against the terrifying and vengeful vision of Hachikat, and the menace of Yorn, the man shrank. In response to Amedeo, he spoke. "We follow a man. From his mouth comes the word of the mandrake. None question, or they die. My orders were clear. 'Start many fires' he said. 'Take what thralls you may.'"

He looked around at the faces in terror. Still choking from Yorn's treatment of him. "You must know I am alive only because I do what they say. I don't know why, but I must not hesitate. Or it means death!"

Seeing that his testimony wasn't immediately providing the answers his captors wanted, he continued. "But recently, a well-dressed man has spoken with Russet, our headman." The man proceeded to give the description, which could have very well matched Amedeo's suspicious Lord Tragone, if not that many of the barons dressed and stylized themselves after such a manner.

Hachikat studied him. The man nodded nervously and eagerly. "But...but, the cult controls the forest shrine!"

Show
    Against Amedeo's roll, a Opposing Roll: 4dF 2. That's a success, but a success with style would work by invoking that Bad Cop aspect. With style, the reluctant cultist might be a willing ally for a time.

Regarding your question, @Mr Stereo1, with the split of social skills, it would have to be the same (or at least the similar general type: Provoke --> Intimidate; Rapport --> Charm).

Hachikat, a very angelic vision! Keep in mind we've already had Dark as an aspect, because it's night. But a hearth fire or some other light source could give you that same effect.

For his opposed roll against her judgment, it's a lucky Opposing Courage Roll: 4dF 3. That gives Hachikat a boost from a tie, getting at least something that's helpful, or you can increase that somehow to get a full aspect. What are you fishing for? Seeking Redemption or something similar? That would fit a judgement type skill.

By the way, I think that's a compel for Hachikat's In Service to Higher Powers...if she accepts. Sort of a decision-based one, but I'm sure she would insist on cleansing the forest shrine of cultist scum before other business, yes? [holds up a shiny fate point]

Yorn: Bad Cop [ 1 ]
    Amedeo: Reluctant Cultist [ 1 ]

30. - Top - End - #60
    Orc in the Playground

Hachikat Silverborne

The harpy spends only a moment thinking. She looks to Yorn, and then to Amadeo. Malketh slips her mind for the minute. Some of the bloodthirst has faded from her eyes, but there is still a look of dark intent there. Something like the pleading look of a child or animal might be seen, but rather than waiting for a response, she curls her wings about her immediately. Sadism trails in her step as she moves towards the darkness beyond the light, each footstep harsh against the ground.

She passes a glance backwards towards the cultist. "Come, it's time to start. It's best that you leave while everyone deals with repairs. They don't want to see your face around here. Grab a torch or make one. On the way, you can tell me about the local cult and yourself..."

"The people need you here, friends. I have to do this." Her tone is softer when addressing her allies, but firm still.

Show
    Hachikat will throw out her "In Service To Higher Powers" Aspect again, invoking that if possible for a +2 to her Judgement against the cultist and placing the Seeking Redemption aspect on him.

She'll then immediately take that compel and fate point - thank you - and stalk off, taking the cultist with her unless anyone else wants to keep him.