New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 21 of 40 FirstFirst ... 111213141516171819202122232425262728293031 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #601
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: Need a character background written up?

Quote Originally Posted by Tawmis View Post
    I had some fun with this; explaining how she came from an important family...
    And how that would lead to her banishment.
    Her idea of changing fate isn't blatantly explained; but her standing up against her parents (and their history) is that first step (in the event that's not clear)...
    =============================

I have spent my life struggling to find what defines the person I am. My family line, the Barrenhowl, have a long history of mastering the Arcane Arts. I spent what felt to be countless years trying to learn how to master the Arcane Arts because it was expected of me being a Barrenhowl. The pressure from my family was incredibly intense; even my clan – a roaming band of gypsies that made a living through art, tarot card reading, and magic (with the occasional pocket picked here and there).

I knew the magic coursed in my veins – I could feel it. But the truth of the matter was, that’s not where my heart was. When I heard a fellow Gypsy named Kaine Rollinghill play his lyre, each pluck of the string was like having my own heartstrings plucked. It had nothing to do with any form of attraction to Kaine, but rather an attraction to the music he was making.

When I decided to turn my back on the Arcane Arts, my parents were furious. Of course, being a Barrenhowl, they had a significant amount of pull, and one day called for the Gypsies Council and demanded that if I did not resume my Arcane Studies and thus keep the Barrenhowl name synonymous with Magic that I should be removed from the clan. Everyone had cast an uneasy glance, but again – my family has had a strong pull with my clan for centuries. They unanimously voted to agree with my parents, then turned to me to see if I would change my mind.

When they came to summon me into the Gypsies Circle, I took inventory of everyone’s sorrowful expression and stern expression of my parents and already knew what they decided. I stood my ground and explained I will not bend to the will of my parents and that I will forge music rather than magic with my hands.

As a part of our clan’s rules, a mage must use their magic to shunt me away – a spell that essentially teleports me in a random direction away from the clan. Ironically, it was my own mother who had to shunt me away – and she looked at me sternly as she reached out her hand slowly to touch my forehead, as if I might break and tell her I will practice magic. I knew once I was banished I would be forbidden from associating my own last name to myself because my family feels as if I've dishonored them...

Just before she touched my head, Kaine shouted, “Hold!” Racing up he handed me his lyre. And with that I was shunted away.

I reappeared near a mountain range that I did not recognize and the moon was already rising in the sky and darkness was just beginning to cover the skies like a blanket. I gathered some wood, made a small campfire, and began to play the lyre.

For the first time in my life, I was at peace, but curious what would come next…
    Thank you so much for this. It's fantastic. I added the Tarot thing late. I actually works well for another character I have I mind.

2. - Top - End - #602
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by OzDragon View Post
    Thank you so much for this. It's fantastic. I added the Tarot thing late. I actually works well for another character I have I mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by mistermysterio View Post
    Perfect!
    Thank you so much!
    Thank you both for submitting character concepts for me to explore. :)
    Need a character origin written? Enjoyed what I wrote? How can you help me? Not required, but appreciated! <3

Check out my 5e The Secret of Havenfall Manor or my character back stories over at DMsGuild.com! (If you check it out - please rate, comment, and tell others!)

Subscribe to my D&D Channel on Youtube! (Come by and Sub)

3. - Top - End - #603
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

It looks like you are really good at this. wow.

I have some ideas that im hoping someone can help craft into a backstory. She is a loose jumble of thoughts Im hoping you can help structure.

Levistus Tiefling Wild Magic Sorcerer 4 / Warlock 2.

Now for the ideas that are bubbling away.

Pact was forced on her or rather she is a warlock because at some point she had her wild magic powers bound (parents perhaps) and therefore the terms of the agreement are with them. Now however she has grown more powerful and actually managed to take some of the powers from her patron much to the patrons disgust (Roleplay opportunity for DM to have the patron act against her perhaps)

Given some instruction at a magical academy but had 'minders' when she went beyond the walls for should an 'incident' happen in the nearby township. Perhaps one happened in the past?

Secretly sneaks out (Aladdin, Jasmine vibe) at night to help citizens of the city (takes food/blanket?) steals??? - Secret Identity Background ??? (although the bonds etc dont feel right)
    or
    perhaps she is older off on her own adventure (archaeologist background) searching out magic items (is this because she wants to limit her own magic use, or to supplement it? the answer may change her from blaster to support?)

Originally conceived as naive but i want her to be more confident than that would suggest. She is giving off a scarlet with or Xmen - Rogue vibe but More happy relaxed, chaotic good, neutral good.
    Blasting and Supporting mechanically, her magic, like herself is volatile, protecting and enhancing one minute raining pain the next.???

My previous character was very by the book, and want her to be more willing to go along for the ride instead of being dragged.

Your help is much appreciated.
    Last edited by KyleG; 2019-11-30 at 03:43 AM. Reason: Alternative background inserted.

4. - Top - End - #604
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

Post Re: Need a character background written up?

Dang, this is super cool, the ones ive seen are awesome!!

So here is what I have for my latest Ghosts of Saltmarsh campaign!

Dusk Corvum Wizard 1 (race is from the playtest version of Humblewood, will prob take Divination wiz on 2nd lvl)

Was originally a Kenku who was the apprentice of a powerful Wizard Astronomer, was essentially his son

Extremely close relationship, this wizard (need to think up a name for him) was kind but strict and parental. Due to the nature of the Kenku's race, he could only learn so much from the Wizard as an apprentice. He was an unselfish and charitable soul, and the Kenku took after him.

Both had a deep fascination for the cosmos and the stars, and the young crow would look to the heavens with curiosity and wonder, as well as in times of need.

The Kenku would often browse through the wizard's vast library, pondering over old texts and star charts

Unknown to the Kenku, the brother of the Wizard, in a fit of defiance against the Wizard's success and fame, seeked revenge for living in his brother's shadow all his life.

After finding his master gravely wounded, the Kenku carries him back to their home, where the Wizard breaks the Kenku's curse with the last shreds of his life force via a Wish spel, as a sort of final act of kindness (prob need a reason to burn a wish spell for him, maybe he used his 9th level spell fighting his brother idk)

The first thing he did was come up for a name for himself- Torrin Brightfeather.

Alignment: NG
    Height: 5'7
    Appearance: Jet Black feathers
    Notes: Has an owl named Winnifred
    Quirks: Due to the massive amount of magic entering his body upon the breaking of his curse, his irises glow a bright hue of blue-purple at all times. When excited or emotional, a similarly colored aura of arcane energy will shimmer and move around him. In addition, his voice is light and raspy due to the nature of Wish. He is very reluctant to talk or draw attention to himself, and keeps a hood over his head to disguise his eyes. \
    Personality: Kind, shy, charitable, bookish
    Ideals: To carry on and live up to his master's legacy and name.
    Flaws: Socially awkward, skittish, and mistrustful of anyone not versed in the arcane.

Idk if this is too much, too lame, or if he seems more a sorcerer than a wiz, but hey :p

thank you if you decide to do mine!
    Last edited by HyperC2; 2019-12-03 at 01:05 PM. Reason: extra info

5. - Top - End - #605
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Spore Druid Character: Najeela Nightshade

Race: Wood Elf
    Class: Druid, Circle of Spores
    Alignment: LG

Najeela and her twin sister, Kunia, were born in a forest that was home to Myconids. The forest was massive and enchanted to be cloaked in eternal night within. Najeela quickly discovered her druidic talents, and decided to use them to help the Myconids who provided her family home- She travels the world, acting as an ambassador of fungal folk, as well as a fierce defender of her home, calling upon zombies and skeletons, as well as requesting aid from awakened plants and corpse flowers, fighting off undead who try to turn all life to undead, such as wights, as well as the Blights who the Myconids contest territory with in the forest.

"Life and death are one of many cycles in nature. The cycle must not be broken, as death is as important as life."

Personality Traits:
    "I refuse to falter when a threat rears its head."
    "I will give shelter to those who need it."
    Ideal: Unity
    "Everything is connected. And so is everyone."
    Bond:
    "My forest must never be taken over, whether by Blights or by outsiders."
    Flaw:
    "My interest in the macabre is unnerving to others."

This is the official version of Najeela, I forgot it had been moved. Not trying to be spammy, sorry!
    Last edited by Undyne; 2019-12-04 at 04:24 PM.

6. - Top - End - #606

Quote Originally Posted by KyleG View Post
    I have some ideas that im hoping someone can help craft into a backstory. She is a loose jumble of thoughts Im hoping you can help structure.
    Now for the ideas that are bubbling away.
    Pact was forced on her or rather she is a warlock because at some point she had her wild magic powers bound (parents perhaps) and therefore the terms of the agreement are with them. Now however she has grown more powerful and actually managed to take some of the powers from her patron much to the patrons disgust (Roleplay opportunity for DM to have the patron act against her perhaps)
    Given some instruction at a magical academy but had 'minders' when she went beyond the walls for should an 'incident' happen in the nearby township. Perhaps one happened in the past?
    Secretly sneaks out (Aladdin, Jasmine vibe) at night to help citizens of the city (takes food/blanket?) steals??? - Secret Identity Background ??? (although the bonds etc dont feel right)
    or perhaps she is older off on her own adventure (archaeologist background) searching out magic items (is this because she wants to limit her own magic use, or to supplement it? the answer may change her from blaster to support?)
    Originally conceived as naive but i want her to be more confident than that would suggest. She is giving off a scarlet with or Xmen - Rogue vibe but More happy relaxed, chaotic good, neutral good.
    Blasting and Supporting mechanically, her magic, like herself is volatile, protecting and enhancing one minute raining pain the next.???
    My previous character was very by the book, and want her to be more willing to go along for the ride instead of being dragged.
    This is next (if I remember correctly!) - got busy during the Holidays - so I will try to get to this ASAP!

Quote Originally Posted by HyperC2 View Post
    Dusk Corvum Wizard 1 (race is from the playtest version of Humblewood, will prob take Divination wiz on 2nd lvl)
    Was originally a Kenku who was the apprentice of a powerful Wizard Astronomer, was essentially his son
    Extremely close relationship, this wizard (need to think up a name for him) was kind but strict and parental. Due to the nature of the Kenku's race, he could only learn so much from the Wizard as an apprentice. He was an unselfish and charitable soul, and the Kenku took after him.
    Both had a deep fascination for the cosmos and the stars, and the young crow would look to the heavens with curiosity and wonder, as well as in times of need.
    The Kenku would often browse through the wizard's vast library, pondering over old texts and star charts
    Unknown to the Kenku, the brother of the Wizard, in a fit of defiance against the Wizard's success and fame, seeked revenge for living in his brother's shadow all his life.
    After finding his master gravely wounded, the Kenku carries him back to their home, where the Wizard breaks the Kenku's curse with the last shreds of his life force via a Wish spel, as a sort of final act of kindness (prob need a reason to burn a wish spell for him, maybe he used his 9th level spell fighting his brother idk)
    The first thing he did was come up for a name for himself- Torrin Brightfeather.
    Quirks: Due to the massive amount of magic entering his body upon the breaking of his curse, his irises glow a bright hue of blue-purple at all times. When excited or emotional, a similarly colored aura of arcane energy will shimmer and move around him. In addition, his voice is light and raspy due to the nature of Wish. He is very reluctant to talk or draw attention to himself, and keeps a hood over his head to disguise his eyes. \
    Flaws: Socially awkward, skittish, and mistrustful of anyone not versed in the arcane.
    Idk if this is too much, too lame, or if he seems more a sorcerer than a wiz, but hey :p
    I am a little confused - I see two names: Dusk Corvum and Torrin Brightfeather - or is Dusk Corvum some kind of special race thing, that I am not familiar with?
    I am currently playing a Kenku Rogue in Horde of the Dragon Queen. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Undyne View Post
    Hello! I have a character, Najeela Nightshade. Want to elaborate her story?
    Yes, would just need the information... Like Race, Class, that type of stuff - and if any notes, you already have or want added. :)
    Need a character origin written? Enjoyed what I wrote? How can you help me? Not required, but appreciated! <3

Check out my 5e The Secret of Havenfall Manor or my character back stories over at DMsGuild.com! (If you check it out - please rate, comment, and tell others!)

7. - Top - End - #607

OldWizardGuy

Default Re: Spore Druid Character: Najeela Nightshade

Looks interesting, did you need feedback on something?
    Reality is relative, and there is an exception to every rule.

8. - Top - End - #608
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

I am a little confused - I see two names: Dusk Corvum and Torrin Brightfeather - or is Dusk Corvum some kind of special race thing, that I am not familiar with?
    I am currently playing a Kenku Rogue in Horde of the Dragon Queen. :)
    Oh whoops, prob should of clarified! A Corvum is a home brew race(from a kickstarter project, just search up Humblewood), basically a Kenku just without a curse I guess, and a Dusk Corvum is a sub race option for them. His name is Torrin Brightfeather, but he is technically the first of his kind in our setting :)
    Last edited by HyperC2; 2019-12-03 at 11:51 PM.

9. - Top - End - #609

ElfWarriorGuy

Thanks Tawmis, its gone thru a revision (below) and is coming along but if you want to expand would be cool to see what...

Revised

(Im not so convinced by this now...im leaning towards being part of a magical community (coven)??? Her mother wanting her to stay and formally join, whilst her dad 'go do you'.

Cut to 8-10 years later off on her own adventure (archaeologist background) searching out magic items (is this because she wants to limit her own magic use, or to supplement it? She is confident, chaotic good/neutral good, but maybe shes also volitile emotionally as per her powers???? not sure on this.

(Now giving off more of an indiana jones crossed with early Rey from Star Wars, a trader, scavenger, or even go as far as a retriever of objects - for a price, she knows how to negotiate)

Also looking for trinket ideas for what she might have on her person, magical items and other bits (starting at level 6 and the dm is letting me come in with a few things)

10. - Top - End - #610

So you're adapting to a non-Ravnica setting? It looks like you've come up with a fine justification, but be prepared for other Druids to look at you funny.

11. - Top - End - #611

BlackDragon

Hello! I have a character, Najeela Nightshade. Want to elaborate her story?
    I am offering assistance in building your Character.
    D&D 5 Class/Archetypes are a good start, but there are other options.
    Tawmis would most likely like to know at least Race and what the character can basically do.

Also, welcome!!
    My Knowledge, Understanding, and Opinion on things can be changed
    No offense is intended by anything I post.
    *Limited Playtest Group - I'm mostly Stuck in the White Room.
    *I am learning valuable things, here. So thanks, everyone!

12. - Top - End - #612

Quote Originally Posted by ShikomeKidoMi View Post
    So you're adapting to a non-Ravnica setting? It looks like you've come up with a fine justification, but be prepared for other Druids to look at you funny.
    Already prepared for the stares.

13. - Top - End - #613

Quote Originally Posted by Great Dragon View Post
    I am offering assistance in building your Character.
    D&D 5 Class/Archetypes are a good start, but there are other options.
    Tawmis would most likely like to know at least Race and what the character can basically do.

Also, welcome!!
    My character is fully built- I'm sorry, I just forgot to list her race and class.

Wood Elf
    Druid (Circle of Spores)
    Lawful Good.

14. - Top - End - #614

Quote Originally Posted by KyleG View Post

Given some instruction at a magical academy but had 'minders' when she went beyond the walls for should an 'incident' happen in the nearby township. Perhaps one happened in the past? (Im not so convinced by this now...im leaning towards being part of a magical community (coven)??? Her mother wanting her to stay and formally join, whilst her dad 'go do you'.

Cut to 8-10 years later off on her own adventure (archaeologist background) searching out magic items (is this because she wants to limit her own magic use, or to supplement it? She is confident, chaotic good/neutral good, but maybe shes also volitile emotionally as per her powers???? not sure on this.

(Now giving off more of an indiana jones crossed with early Rey from Star Wars, a trader, scavenger, or even go as far as a retriever of objects - for a price, she knows how to negotiate)

Also looking for trinket ideas for what she might have on her person, magical items and other bits (starting at level 6 and the dm is letting me come in with a few things)

The demon that's mentioned (if you've read some of the other backgrounds here) is a reoccurring demon throughout several backgrounds...
    I set up the emotional state of your character being volatile by having the guilt of what happens between her parents...
    I also got in the part of the Coven... and at least one magical trinket ...
    As always, I'd love to hear any thoughts, feedback, you like it, hate it, love it, want something changed?
    ==================================================

My father has always been a simple man. He goes out to the fields, herds the sheep, gathers the fruit from the trees, milks the cows, and comes back, exhausted and tired. My mother on the other hand, has always been a secretive and conniving woman. My father never asks her what she is doing or why she’s sometimes gone for hours on end. I suspect he’s always known that she is not sleeping with other men, but that she was a part of a coven – a practicing Witch.

As my father grew in age, my mother seemed to remain young. As he grew older, doing the farm work became increasingly difficult, and he’d mentioned how he yearned for a son to help him with the work and carry on his bloodline. After years of attempting to bare a child, my mother made a pack with an demon by the name of Bar'garius who promised to help her bare a child – at the small cost of inserting his own magic into her, creating an anchor for him into the prime material plane. My mother agreed, and within several weeks, discovered she was indeed pregnant.

However, Bar'garius got the last laugh, because in the deal, my mother had only asked for help in baring a child and did not specify the gender – and so I was born into the world.

My name is Levistus, and because of the deal my mother made with the demon, not only was I imbued with a portion of his magical abilities, I was born into the world as a Tiefling. This, naturally, caused a great rift between my mother and father. He was a simple man, and despite his desire for having a son, also accepted that the gods deemed it that he should not have a child; and that she had made a pact with a demon infuriated him. He believed that she and her coven were just women, sitting around runes and odd symbols, but not actually wielding magic or tampering with demons.

This had changed everything.

At a young age, the magic that was imbued in me due to the pact, made itself evident. Through the pact, I was meant to serve Bar'garius, and I did so through help and training from my mother.

As I grew up, I watched my father and mother become further and further apart, and it did not take long for me to realize that I had been the reason. I was the constant reminder of what my mother had done, but my father refused to turn his back on me, because no matter how I looked, or how I was conceived, I was still his daughter, no matter how much it broke his heart to look at me.

My mother attempted to break her pact with Bar'garius, and the result was disastrous. The magic that was in me suddenly launched uncontrollably one night at a fair in the nearby town of Greystone. Several people were wounded, tents had burned down. Though no one had seen that it was because of me, I knew what had happened. I had rushed home and explained to my mother what had happened and she explained to me it’s because she had used magic to break her pact with Bar'garius. She tried to help me control the magic surging through my body, but I was far more powerful than anything she’d seen before.

Bar'garius appeared in my dreams, almost nightly, to say if I forge a new contract with him that my mother broke, he can help me control my surging magic… and each morning, I awake, and whisper to the ether that my soul, nor my magic, will ever be his.

I knew I could not stay home – there was a chance my magic might one day kill my mother and father and burn down the farm. So I gathered a few belongings and began to travel the world. I had met with a bard who told me about a group that excavated old relics, some of which were magic. This interested me, perhaps I could find some form of ancient relic to help channel the magic coursing through my body? The bard traveled with me until I met up with the group and I began to excavate with them. We would use what we found to sell or trade for goods, essentially becoming well educated scavengers. One of the more interesting items I found – and kept – was a feathered ink pen that allows me to create forgeries of any signature or handwriting I’ve seen before. Who knows what use I could make of this…

15. - Top - End - #615
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

One more thing I wanna add, Tawmis! Torrin’s focus is an ornate silver ring with a gem that changes color based on the type of magic being used, which was originally the wizard’s.

Thank you!!
    Last edited by HyperC2; 2019-12-05 at 05:42 PM.

16. - Top - End - #616

I didn't get to the part to cover of the flaws...
    But I think I covered the rest....
    I love the Kenku race (as I said, playing one for the Horde of the Dragon Queen campaign I am playing in)...
    So I brought up the Kenku traits to explain how he forms a bond with the wizard...
    As always, I welcome feedback - whether you liked it or not, if I hit the mark or missed it by a mile...
    ==========================

Tallorawn Skyspear was a powerful human wizard who found me, lost, alone and disheveled on the side of the road. He’d heard of my kind before – Kenku – but had never interacted with one of us. He extended his hand to me and explained he would offer me shelter from the coming storm. I entered his small wagon and thanked him. He was astonished to hear my thanks come in the form of several different voices and pitches. I explained to him – in the same broken version of my speech – that Kenku were cursed by our god – having lost flight and the ability to speak in our own voice; but we could perfectly mimic the voices we’ve heard. So I would, by piecing together phrases I heard, from different people, mimic their voices – so at times, my sentence would come out as a mixture of an adult male, then into a young female child, then to a woman, then back to another male with a different accent simply to say, “I will one day repay you for your kindness.”

Tallorawn Skyspear inquired further in regards to the fate of all the Kenku in the world, and I continued to share my story, explaining that we were experts at forging documents as well, able to mimic someone’s handwriting once we’ve seen it. Tallorawn Skyspear then became curious. “If you can mimic what you hear with near perfection, can you then wield magic as well?”

Tallorawn Skyspear whispered the words to a Light Spell, which I was able to successfully mimic vocally and copied the intricate gestures of his hands and found that a light glowed at my fingertips.

Tallorawn Skyspear smiled. “Well, you would make a fine Wizard. And your ability for forgery would be a great asset for getting some of my spells scribed onto scrolls and some tomes of magic I have been recording.”

Rather than a week’s shelter from the storm that came and pounded the grasslands, Tallorawn Skyspear invited me to be his apprentice. Tallorawn took a great liking to me, taking me everywhere he went, when he would meet other wizards. He was proud not only of my skill, but the bond we formed was stronger than the magic either of us could wield.

It was there I met Tallorawn’s brother, Rhentor. From the moment I met Rhentor something beneath my feathers shivered. His gaze was cold – cruel – almost soulless. His stance was firm, as if a board held him up. His eyes roamed up and down, as if trying to tear me down without saying a word. He then looked at his brother and with a curl of his lip snarled, “So who – or what – is this filthy pet of yours that you’ve brought here?”

“He,” Tallorawn corrected sternly, “is not a pet. He is a dear friend of mine. He is a Kenku. And he is my apprentice.”

“Apprentice,” Rhentor scoffed. “How typical of you brother.”

That night, however, it was Tallorawn who garnered the recognition among his peers. He asked me to fetch his coat as we headed for the door. I had done so – but when I got to the foyer – he was not there waiting. I went outside and did not immediately see him. But my eyes caught something else. In the pouring rain, a red tint flowed between the cobblestone. I followed it into the alleyway where I found that Tallorawn had been stabbed in the chest.

I cried out for a Priest or Cleric, but Tallorawn grabbed me by the vest. In a wheezing voice, where I could hear the blood in his lungs he said, “It’s already too late for me.” He pulled a silver ring, with a green gem from his finger and handed it to me. “Take this.” He coughed as blood trickled out of the corner of his lips. “One more thing… I’ve spent the last five years… researching… a way… to free you… of the curse…” He began chanting magical words I’d never heard before – and then, when he clasped his hand, a white light drove away the darkness for a brief moment, and in the brilliance I saw him smile for the last time, for as the dark reclaimed the alley, Tallorawn had already breathed his last breath.

“No,” I cried – but I stopped.

The voice.

“What has happened to me?”

The voice.

The voice… it was… my own?

Tallorawn had found a way… to break me free of the curse bestowed upon me by my god…

How?

As people began to gather, drawn by my previous cries for help, then the burst of light, people began to ponder what had happened as local authorities began to arrive. I was questioned and released.

In my heart, I knew who did this…

I would find him and get my revenge.

Rhentor, I am coming for you….

17. - Top - End - #617

Najeela and her twin sister, Kunia, were born in a forest that was home to Myconids. The forest was massive and enchanted to be cloaked in eternal night within. Najeela quickly discovered her druidic talents, and decided to use them to help the Myconids who provided her family home- She travels the world, acting as an ambassador of fungal folk, as well as a fierce defender of her home, calling upon zombies and skeletons, as well as requesting aid from awakened plants and corpse flowers, fighting off undead who try to turn all life to undead, such as wights, as well as the Blights who the Myconids contest territory with in the forest.

"Life and death are one of many cycles in nature. The cycle must not be broken, as death is as important as life."

Personality Traits:
    Bond:
    Flaw:

This is the official version of Najeela, I forgot it had been moved. Not trying to be spammy, sorry!
    This is next on the list. :)

18. - Top - End - #618
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

I didn't get to the part to cover of the flaws...
    But I think I covered the rest....
    I love the Kenku race (as I said, playing one for the Horde of the Dragon Queen campaign I am playing in)...
    So I brought up the Kenku traits to explain how he forms a bond with the wizard...
    As always, I welcome feedback - whether you liked it or not, if I hit the mark or missed it by a mile...
    ==========================

Tallorawn Skyspear was a powerful human wizard who found me, lost, alone and disheveled on the side of the road. He’d heard of my kind before – Kenku – but had never interacted with one of us. He extended his hand to me and explained he would offer me shelter from the coming storm. I entered his small wagon and thanked him. He was astonished to hear my thanks come in the form of several different voices and pitches. I explained to him – in the same broken version of my speech – that Kenku were cursed by our god – having lost flight and the ability to speak in our own voice; but we could perfectly mimic the voices we’ve heard. So I would, by piecing together phrases I heard, from different people, mimic their voices – so at times, my sentence would come out as a mixture of an adult male, then into a young female child, then to a woman, then back to another male with a different accent simply to say, “I will one day repay you for your kindness.”

Tallorawn Skyspear inquired further in regards to the fate of all the Kenku in the world, and I continued to share my story, explaining that we were experts at forging documents as well, able to mimic someone’s handwriting once we’ve seen it. Tallorawn Skyspear then became curious. “If you can mimic what you hear with near perfection, can you then wield magic as well?”

Tallorawn Skyspear whispered the words to a Light Spell, which I was able to successfully mimic vocally and copied the intricate gestures of his hands and found that a light glowed at my fingertips.

Tallorawn Skyspear smiled. “Well, you would make a fine Wizard. And your ability for forgery would be a great asset for getting some of my spells scribed onto scrolls and some tomes of magic I have been recording.”

Rather than a week’s shelter from the storm that came and pounded the grasslands, Tallorawn Skyspear invited me to be his apprentice. Tallorawn took a great liking to me, taking me everywhere he went, when he would meet other wizards. He was proud not only of my skill, but the bond we formed was stronger than the magic either of us could wield.

It was there I met Tallorawn’s brother, Rhentor. From the moment I met Rhentor something beneath my feathers shivered. His gaze was cold – cruel – almost soulless. His stance was firm, as if a board held him up. His eyes roamed up and down, as if trying to tear me down without saying a word. He then looked at his brother and with a curl of his lip snarled, “So who – or what – is this filthy pet of yours that you’ve brought here?”

“He,” Tallorawn corrected sternly, “is not a pet. He is a dear friend of mine. He is a Kenku. And he is my apprentice.”

“Apprentice,” Rhentor scoffed. “How typical of you brother.”

That night, however, it was Tallorawn who garnered the recognition among his peers. He asked me to fetch his coat as we headed for the door. I had done so – but when I got to the foyer – he was not there waiting. I went outside and did not immediately see him. But my eyes caught something else. In the pouring rain, a red tint flowed between the cobblestone. I followed it into the alleyway where I found that Tallorawn had been stabbed in the chest.

I cried out for a Priest or Cleric, but Tallorawn grabbed me by the vest. In a wheezing voice, where I could hear the blood in his lungs he said, “It’s already too late for me.” He pulled a silver ring, with a green gem from his finger and handed it to me. “Take this.” He coughed as blood trickled out of the corner of his lips. “One more thing… I’ve spent the last five years… researching… a way… to free you… of the curse…” He began chanting magical words I’d never heard before – and then, when he clasped his hand, a white light drove away the darkness for a brief moment, and in the brilliance I saw him smile for the last time, for as the dark reclaimed the alley, Tallorawn had already breathed his last breath.

“No,” I cried – but I stopped.

The voice.

“What has happened to me?”

The voice.

The voice… it was… my own?

Tallorawn had found a way… to break me free of the curse bestowed upon me by my god…

How?

As people began to gather, drawn by my previous cries for help, then the burst of light, people began to ponder what had happened as local authorities began to arrive. I was questioned and released.

In my heart, I knew who did this…

I would find him and get my revenge.

Rhentor, I am coming for you….
    Dude, this is so good!!! Thanks a million!!!!!

19. - Top - End - #619

Dude, this is so good!!! Thanks a million!!!!!
    The pleasure was all mine. Thank you for letting me write the character!

Quote Originally Posted by Blood of Gaea View Post
    Looks interesting, did you need feedback on something?
    If there's any of these you have feedback on - I welcome it. I always ask the folks I am writing the backgrounds for to give feedback - but honest to the gods, I would take any feedback, whether it was written for you or not.
    Last edited by Tawmis; 2019-12-06 at 12:52 PM.

20. - Top - End - #620

This is next on the list. :)
    *Excited Druid Noises*

21. - Top - End - #621

Personality Traits:
    Bond:
    Flaw:
    I had to look up the Circle of Spores! I really like that concept.
    I wasn't sure what world you were playing in (if Forgotten Realms of custom), but I figure, the background could work (would just be a lesser known mountain and forest that's not necessarily known).
    I enjoyed writing the origins of the Mirewood Forest... and how it came to be... how the Myconids came to be there...
    Hopefully you enjoy it too! But if not - I'd love to hear the feedback!
    Tell me if you loved it, hated it, liked it, would like something changed!
    Everything helps me!
    Enjoy!
    =========================================

Here in Mirewood life is very different. Nestled against the Stormwhite Mountains, Mirewood has long sat in the shadow of the towering Stormwhite peaks; a protective hand that blocked the sun’s warming rays. Moisture settled on the top of Mirewood which allowed for moss to grow across the branches, intertwining between the branches. On the forest floor, the cool temperatures and minimal sunlight allowed unusual fungi to spring up throughout the forest floor. Without natural predators or humans (who deemed Mirewood as “haunted”), the fungi grew to astounding sizes.

It would be several hundred years later, Myconids fleeing the “Shadow War” raging beneath the Stormwhite Mountains between Drow and Mindflayer found sanctuary in Mirewood. The Myconids harvested and grew other fungi that they were familiar with from the “land beneath the mountains.”

When several Druids settled in Mirewood they created a trading relationship with the Myconids, welcoming them and equipping them with furs and other necessities. The Druids, who had not intended on staying, found these new woods interesting and hoped to learn from them. The things found in Mirewood were a direct reflection of the flora and fauna found in “the land beneath the mountains” without the perils of encountering Drow, Mind Flayers, Aboleths, or Beholders (just to name a few). This allowed the Druids – who adopted the name “The Druids of Mirewood” to study the flora and fauna and gain tremendous knowledge about these unique flowers, fungi and plants.

My mother, Elliana and my father, Arisdor were a part of the Druids of Mirewood, and loved their new home. They were happy to learn that my mother, Elliana had become pregnant not with a single child but with two. My twin sister, Kunia and I were born in Mirewood.

My name is Najeela, and this has always been home to me. My mother and father have shared stories of the world outside – how other forests are vastly different than Mirewood and that the Myconids don’t typically live above the surface world.

The Myconid chief, whose name could only be best described as “Kah’ta’tor’tu’aun” seemed infatuated with young children, having never seen any “in the land beneath the mountains.” Drow children were always locked away in towers and Mind Flayer children… were a nightmare to behold.

Kah’ta’tor’tu’aun began to teach me the way of the “Organic Nature” – my mother called it “The Circle of Spores.” It was through him I learned the delicate balance of understanding life and death and the importance of the cycle. Summoning up the dead was not always an evil and vile thing. If you summoned up the dead to help stop some creature bent on turning everyone into the undead state; then raising an army of undead to stop them was called for, if needed. The dead rose to fight a noble cause to help restore order and would once again be put to rest once the battle was done.

As I grew older, my curiosity to see the world beyond the Mirewood grew. I wanted to be an advocate for the Myconids and their way of life – as well as explaining to the world the delicate balance of life and death.

As I stood at the edge of Mirewood, the peaks of the Stormwhite Mountains rose like jagged daggers in the air. A cool, brisk wind blew from the chilling tops down into the woods. Wisps of my hair fluttered in the ice-cold wind. Pulling my hair behind my ears, I took the first step of the next chapter of my life…

22. - Top - End - #622

I had to look up the Circle of Spores! I really like that concept.
    I wasn't sure what world you were playing in (if Forgotten Realms of custom), but I figure, the background could work (would just be a lesser known mountain and forest that's not necessarily known).
    I enjoyed writing the origins of the Mirewood Forest... and how it came to be... how the Myconids came to be there...
    Hopefully you enjoy it too! But if not - I'd love to hear the feedback!
    Tell me if you loved it, hated it, liked it, would like something changed!
    Everything helps me!
    Enjoy!
    =========================================

Here in Mirewood life is very different. Nestled against the Stormwhite Mountains, Mirewood has long sat in the shadow of the towering Stormwhite peaks; a protective hand that blocked the sun’s warming rays. Moisture settled on the top of Mirewood which allowed for moss to grow across the branches, intertwining between the branches. On the forest floor, the cool temperatures and minimal sunlight allowed unusual fungi to spring up throughout the forest floor. Without natural predators or humans (who deemed Mirewood as “haunted”), the fungi grew to astounding sizes.

It would be several hundred years later, Myconids fleeing the “Shadow War” raging beneath the Stormwhite Mountains between Drow and Mindflayer found sanctuary in Mirewood. The Myconids harvested and grew other fungi that they were familiar with from the “land beneath the mountains.”

When several Druids settled in Mirewood they created a trading relationship with the Myconids, welcoming them and equipping them with furs and other necessities. The Druids, who had not intended on staying, found these new woods interesting and hoped to learn from them. The things found in Mirewood were a direct reflection of the flora and fauna found in “the land beneath the mountains” without the perils of encountering Drow, Mind Flayers, Aboleths, or Beholders (just to name a few). This allowed the Druids – who adopted the name “The Druids of Mirewood” to study the flora and fauna and gain tremendous knowledge about these unique flowers, fungi and plants.

My mother, Elliana and my father, Arisdor were a part of the Druids of Mirewood, and loved their new home. They were happy to learn that my mother, Elliana had become pregnant not with a single child but with two. My twin sister, Kunia and I were born in Mirewood.

My name is Najeela, and this has always been home to me. My mother and father have shared stories of the world outside – how other forests are vastly different than Mirewood and that the Myconids don’t typically live above the surface world.

The Myconid chief, whose name could only be best described as “Kah’ta’tor’tu’aun” seemed infatuated with young children, having never seen any “in the land beneath the mountains.” Drow children were always locked away in towers and Mind Flayer children… were a nightmare to behold.

Kah’ta’tor’tu’aun began to teach me the way of the “Organic Nature” – my mother called it “The Circle of Spores.” It was through him I learned the delicate balance of understanding life and death and the importance of the cycle. Summoning up the dead was not always an evil and vile thing. If you summoned up the dead to help stop some creature bent on turning everyone into the undead state; then raising an army of undead to stop them was called for, if needed. The dead rose to fight a noble cause to help restore order and would once again be put to rest once the battle was done.

As I grew older, my curiosity to see the world beyond the Mirewood grew. I wanted to be an advocate for the Myconids and their way of life – as well as explaining to the world the delicate balance of life and death.

As I stood at the edge of Mirewood, the peaks of the Stormwhite Mountains rose like jagged daggers in the air. A cool, brisk wind blew from the chilling tops down into the woods. Wisps of my hair fluttered in the ice-cold wind. Pulling my hair behind my ears, I took the first step of the next chapter of my life…
    Amazing...! I just have a single detail that I'd add to this- The flora of the forest all have mycelium (AKA mushroom roots) intertwined into their roots, stems, and branches- Since mushrooms help pass nutrients along to other plants, the idea of a whole forest being COMBINED with mushrooms make the forest seem like one living organism.

23. - Top - End - #623

Amazing...! I just have a single detail that I'd add to this- The flora of the forest all have mycelium (AKA mushroom roots) intertwined into their roots, stems, and branches- Since mushrooms help pass nutrients along to other plants, the idea of a whole forest being COMBINED with mushrooms make the forest seem like one living organism.
    Awesome! I dig that extra touch you mentioned.

24. - Top - End - #624

In order to keep this up near the top, I have a new character. Just trying to help keep this thread up in the recents. ^w^

A lizardfolk, sick and tired of keeping to the traditions of her people, refuses to be left simply as a gatherer and egg source. After the men slaughter yet another group of fools who set foot in the swamp, she scavenges a book from the body of one of them- a priest. Reading through the book in secret, she finds herself drawn to the goddess it describes- Loviatar, the Maiden Of Pain. She prays in secret to the goddess, but never recieves a divine gift.... until one day, an angel bearing the many-tailed whip of Loviatar finds the lizardfolk, and grants her a potent blessing- The ability to unleash the pain in someone, sadistically draining their energy. The lizardfolk was found out, and challenged to a trial by combat- which she won by draining the life directly from her male oppressor.

The lizardfolk is Shiela, a Divine Soul Sorcerer who focuses on pain- whether her own, or others. Her favored spells are Vampiric Touch, to harm her opponents while healing herself, Revivify, to prolong the pain her allies feel, Chill Touch and Inflict Wounds, for raw pain, and Life Transference, to inflict pain on herself to heal her allies.

25. - Top - End - #625
    Dwarf in the Playground

Alrighty, so Dragonborn Warlock named Jarskan with a Great Old One patron and Pact of the Tome. He ended up telling some sort of secret that got his clan hurt and they exiled him. He ended up living in a dungeon he found, it was full of many treasures and even more dangers that he learned to avoid (dip into rogue for extra sneakyness) he ended up finding the Tome and made a deal with some sort of great old one.

Was discovered by some adventures that he ended up joining in there quest while they were exploring his dungeon.

Jarskan keeps secrets after the event with the clan.
    He likes to hoard gold (a habit he got in the dungeon) and wants to one day retire with his hoard.
    Is brass dragonborn.
    Likes to get close with Hex + sneak attack.
    Has high dex and a low str
    My limited homebrew experience
    oh hey didn't see you there

26. - Top - End - #626
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Name: Vox
    Race: Changeling (male)
    Alignment: N (tending towards good, just not quite there yet)
    Character progression: Cleric 2, Divine Soul Sorcerer from there on)

LOX
    Lox started life as a petty criminal loosely associated with the Tyrants in Sharn (a thieves guild specializing in forged identities, new faces. It is run by doppelganger masters and Changelings) . His parents are both guild members in good standing. Lox however was different; he had a wanderlust that led him to seek adventure in the world.

Lox was fluent in both elven and goblin and was well studied on both cultures. Elves fascinate Lox and his preferred shape is elven. The forbidden nature of the Aerenal elves in particular drew him closer.

Taking the guise of a Khorvaire elf seeking his roots, Lox talked his way onto the island of Aerenal. There he freely wandered libraries, entertainment and immersed himself into the culture. The ruse was working so well he talked his way into the academy of the Undying Court itself, where he learned the divine magics of the elves (actually he is a follower now…but the elves do not appreciate that).

The brazen nature of a Changleing infiltrating a divine academy was ultimately doomed to failure. The Jig was up and Lox fled the island for his life. He did not leave empty handed; he had liberated enough gold to purchase a new identity with the Tyrants.

Ultimately Lox will move into a Divine Soul Sorcerer, but again fortune will not smile on him. His family line was tainted. While Lox is a nice guy, his family and history with the Tyrants have tainted him, the celestial spark is dark, and his bonus spell will be “Inflict Wounds.” --In fact his build will be around the spell Inflict Wounds.

Lox is unsure what the ultimate consequences will be, but he does have a number of religious texts and several holy symbols from Aerenal stashed at a safe house in Sharn. He has decided use his new identity to become an adventurer, keep moving for a while, and let the heat blow off.

His main identity is Lox, a changeling. The elves, as far as he knows are clueless to this. His second, newer (purchased) Identity is Dorian Grell, an Aundarian human Veteran from the last war. Lox is planning several trips back to Sharn to purchase a few other identities when he gets the cash.

Lox will arrange a secret signal for his compatriots. If he is disguised, will briefly flash a Blue “L” on his forehead or the palm of his hand.

His fence is a safe house where his parents work for the tyrants. He knows the tyrants will take a 15% cut, plus the laundering fee. He may not be a tyrant but he will pay the dues as if her were (Family obligation).

His specialty is document forgery. Lox used that a lot on Aerenal.

The elves are still ferreting out all his impersonations. He even impersonated faculty members at the academy. At this point the elves are not sure how many Changelings were at the academy.

Background: charlatan

STR10, DEX 12, CON 16, INT 8, WIS 13, CHA 16
    ------------------------------------------
    and a word of explanation: The Undying court. The elves in Aerenal don't believe in death. They are into ancestor worship....and so the undying court are all the exceptional elves who in undeath still lead the elves. It is necromancy with positive energy instead of negative.
    weird but hey, it is in the book.

27. - Top - End - #627
    Pixie in the Playground

Half-Elf Warlock of The Great Old One

Name: Therian Allas
    Background: Hermit

Thanks for making this thread and I apologize for little to make off of I'm just interested of what you create feel free to make anything up

28. - Top - End - #628

A lizardfolk, sick and tired of keeping to the traditions of her people,
    (snip)
    Quote Originally Posted by thisdude9001 View Post
    Alrighty, so Dragonborn Warlock named Jarskan with a Great Old One patron and Pact of the Tome.
    (snip)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops08 View Post
    Name: Vox
    Race: Changeling (male)
    Alignment: N (tending towards good, just not quite there yet)
    (snip)
    Quote Originally Posted by Storyl View Post
    Half-Elf Warlock of The Great Old One
    Name: Therian Allas
    (snip)
    Thank you! I have the next two weeks off from work! So I will for sure begin getting to these! Please keep them coming!

29. - Top - End - #629
    Pixie in the Playground

Vandryeen (Male)
    Bard (More focused on the storytelling than the singing/seducing part)
    Half-Elf
    Anthropologist
    True Neutral

Really interested in learning about different types of monsters and other "surface-level information" (oh, yeah, I speak Orc, but I only know how to say "could you pass the salt?")
    Not too outgoing, but not really shy
    Knowledgeable, but not a bookworm (knows by experience, not by reading)
    Parents are really important to them
    Knowledge. By understanding other races and cultures, we learn to understand ourselves.
    Doesn't really like horses

Side note: thank you for making this!
    Last edited by No1ofIntrst; 2019-12-20 at 08:17 PM.

30. - Top - End - #630

In order to keep this up near the top, I have a new character. Just trying to help keep this thread up in the recents. ^w^
    A lizardfolk, sick and tired of keeping to the traditions of her people, refuses to be left simply as a gatherer and egg source. After the men slaughter yet another group of fools who set foot in the swamp, she scavenges a book from the body of one of them- a priest. Reading through the book in secret, she finds herself drawn to the goddess it describes- Loviatar, the Maiden Of Pain. She prays in secret to the goddess, but never receives a divine gift.... until one day, an angel bearing the many-tailed whip of Loviatar finds the lizardfolk, and grants her a potent blessing- The ability to unleash the pain in someone, sadistically draining their energy. The lizardfolk was found out, and challenged to a trial by combat- which she won by draining the life directly from her male oppressor.
    The lizardfolk is Shiela, a Divine Soul Sorcerer who focuses on pain- whether her own, or others. Her favored spells are Vampiric Touch, to harm her opponents while healing herself, Revivify, to prolong the pain her allies feel, Chill Touch and Inflict Wounds, for raw pain, and Life Transference, to inflict pain on herself to heal her allies.
    I took the opportunity to connect your background to two other character backgrounds - both for Lizardfolk - that just seemed to fit perfectly.
    It also helps connect what's been affectionately called "The Tawmis Verse" (that many of these backgrounds begin to weave and tie into one another).
    I hope you enjoy what's here - as always - I'd love to hear what you liked, loved, or even hated!
    Enjoy!
    ================================================== ========================

The brigands have grown too bold. Brigands and thieves have dared steal eggs from the hatchery (1) and still my people do nothing, keeping their old traditions. Perhaps Ssirath (2) was right all along. Ssirath had believed our people had become weak; offering safe passage to humans and elves and dwarves, through the swamp, in exchange for furs and weapons.

Koratore, our leader, was an aggressive male who demanded us to fetch eggs and food, most of which went to him, as did most of what was traded. To say he and I had a strong dislike for one another would be the understatement of the century.

My name is Shiela and I am a gathering for my people. It was during one of my gathering trips, I’d observed a group of humans making their way through the swamp without a guide – either they were too cheap to make a trade arrangement or they’d been lost in the swamp and may have been looking for a way out. Where they were – where I was – was dangerous territory. The trolls dominated this area of the swamp; but they did so because this was the breeding grounds of the crocodiles. So the trolls would either hunt the crocodiles or raid their nests for eggs. For me, I relied on stealth to steal eggs and kill younger crocodiles.

They’d gotten too close to a nest of crocodiles which triggered their aggressive nature; the sound caught the attention of a small band of trolls in the area, who joined in the bloodfest, killing both human and crocodile alike, until only the trolls remained standing. The four trolls dragged several of the human carcasses away and two larger crocodile carcasses. They would feast well tonight, which was good for my people; that meant they were less likely to wander into our area and attack us.

At that moment, something caught my eye, moving slowly down the water. It’d been a pouch that had slid off one of the humans as the trolls dragged them away. I reached over with a stick, not wanting to come out of cover, and lifted the drenched, brown pouch towards me. I reached inside the pouch and found only a tome containing religious symbols. I threw it in the water – but as it slowly began to tumble down the waterway, something made me reach for it again and take it with me.

Back at the den, I began reading it and discovered it’d been a tome about Loviatar, the Maiden Of Pain. The human who perished had been a follower of this unusual goddess. I spent days, weeks, even months reading the tome in secrecy over and over again to understand how she worked. Apparently, those who were faithful to her were bestowed blessings to inflict pain on others while drawing that energy into themselves.

Each day I dealt with our “fearless” leader Koratore, I wondered if Loviatar would ever accept me as one of her own. Each day of every week, I prayed to Loviatar in secrecy hoping for her blessing. One day, during a spat between Koratore and I, he back handed me with enough force to scar my right cheek, my scales cut by the ring he wore on his finger.

That night – a being of dark light arrived – and in its angelic hands, a many tailed whip. It lashed out at me, and though it felt as if my entire soul was on fire, I heard her voice. “I now give you the power,” and I knew it had been Loviatar.

The next day, as always, Koratore and I got in an argument over the amount of traded goods he was keeping from the latest batch of travelers requesting an escort and once again, he attempted to back hand me – but this time, I caught his hand before he could hit me.

Furious, he demanded that I be taught a lesson and had Borkhan, his strongest guardian, meet me in the ring to the death. Borkhan bruised me badly – my right eye was swollen shut, my left arm felt as if it were broken – but in the end – I felt her energy course through me, and perhaps I was the only one who could see it but a whip of many tales materialized in my hand and with one lash that seemed to wrap around him, I drained his life from him, and as I did so my left arm and eye both healed. Borkhan collapsed in front of me, dead.

Koratore accused me of necromancy and banished me from the tribe and land. Which was fine – I would explore the world and see what it had to offer. But my fight with Koratore was far from over, if he thought banishing me was the end of this…

1. http://www.giantitp.com/forums/shows...&postcount=371
    2. http://www.giantitp.com/forums/shows...&postcount=532
    Last edited by Tawmis; 2019-12-22 at 03:00 PM.