New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Wish and magic items.

I know a wish can create magic items up to a certain value.
    What about modifying existing items?

(I have a ring that is more powerful than a wish could create, very useful, but sadly it lets the devil who originally forged it observe whoever wears it. I'd like to remove that feature, and am wondering if this is within safe parameters of the wish.)

Another thing - there is another magic item I'm looking for, but the only spells powerful enough to find it requires me to have touched the item to get a clear enough link with it. Is a limited wish enough to bypass that problem? (giving me a vivid enough vision of the object that I can cast further divinations?)

2. - Top - End - #2

RangerGuy

Default Re: Wish and magic items.

Is that the One Ring?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Wish does state that it can undo harmful spell effects. It's not much of a stretch for it to remove a specific effect on an item. Essentially it's a very specific Disjunction spell. However, it's also sounds like a plot device, so removal may not be a simple as just casting a spell.

As for limited wish, you can use that to cast Legend Lore. Which helps you locate an item. (May require multiple castings).
    Homebrewers Extended Signature Yep, no more room in my actual signature ... on the bright side though, now I have room for a cool quote!
    If I had one ...
    Custom Avatar by ShadowySilence - He's a cool guy.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

That wish is very much a custom unsafe wish, since the item is also under a custom curse.

As for the search, Augury and Commune can be used to search it like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by noob View Post
    Honestly the fastest way to make a paladin fall is to cast the grease spell or to trip the paladin.

5. - Top - End - #5

So, if I were to use a wish, it would be better to use something like augury first to make sure it doesn't backfire...

And as for search... any search can be solved with a wish, but that matter isn't important enough to burn a wish on.

And otherwise the search might be a fool's errand. I meant to use discern location to find the item, but I realised that since the answer comes in a form of a full sentence, it will only be "under rubble in the ruins of the house of the archmage's daughter" which isn't very helpful if the whole city is currenly a ring of rubble at the bottom of the sea, after it was nuked by the gods centuries ago.

So, even with the hide the thimble method, it might not be feasible. I will try to at least find some old maps of the city...

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Braininthejar2 View Post
    So, if I were to use a wish, it would be better to use something like augury first to make sure it doesn't backfire...

And as for search... any search can be solved with a wish, but that matter isn't important enough to burn a wish on.

And otherwise the search might be a fool's errand. I meant to use discern location to find the item, but I realised that since the answer comes in a form of a full sentence, it will only be "under rubble in the ruins of the house of the archmage's daughter" which isn't very helpful if the whole city is currenly a ring of rubble at the bottom of the sea, after it was nuked by the gods centuries ago.

So, even with the hide the thimble method, it might not be feasible. I will try to at least find some old maps of the city...
    Divine Bisection. Get a map of the area, Cast Commune. Ask if the thing is in the area the map covers. If it is, fold the map in half, and ask if it's in the are on top. If it isn't, flip the map, fold, and ask again. If it is, fold and ask again. Rinse and repeat until you have a very small area.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.