New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Chess

1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Chess

Have anyone ever play chess. If so what was your best chess game you ever have? My best chess game I ever had was that in 2004 I went to CIDNY a recreational place with people with disabilities. I play this male Asian chess player who happens to be very good at chess (grandmaster level) he beat me more than 100 times. One day it was a very good game and the only piece I have left was a king and a rook, he only has a king. And I finally beat him. And that was the only time I beat him.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Default Re: Chess

Glad you finally got a win in! Like you, my favorite memories are beating people who beat me 99% of the time.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sloanzilla View Post
    Glad you finally got a win in! Like you, my favourite memories are beating people who beat me 99% of the time.
    Yes. He was like a top to God-tier chess player. I was like a bottom to a low-tier chess player. It just like a battle of Pokemon: Magikarp vs. Mega Rayquaza. I'm telling that win wasn't easy. I thought at first this game will be ended in a draw but it didn't.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Yes. He was like a top to God-tier chess player. I was like a bottom to a low-tier chess player. It just like a battle of Pokemon: Magikarp vs. Mega Rayquaza. I'm telling that win wasn't easy. I thought at first this game will be ended in a draw but it didn't.
    One of the great lessons of chess is that anyone can lose if they get cocky. I find that my biggest problems are forgetting about things on the other side of the board and not always being good at judging which of several options is the best trade.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    One of the great lessons of chess is that anyone can lose if they get cocky. I find that my biggest problems are forgetting about things on the other side of the board and not always being good at judging which of several options is the best trade.
    I actually cost myself a trophy during high school at state by moving too fast during a king+rook endgame, forced a stalemate. Rest of the boards won pretty handily though so didn't lose the team the match luckily. Ran the numbers and I would have been in tiebreakers somewhere 1-5 for my board.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

6. - Top - End - #6
    Archmage in the Playground Moderator

Two best games:

A good friend taught me to play chess in university. And he always won. I took some time after uni to improve my game, and out first game after that, he wasn't expecting it and I wiped the floor with him. I'll never forget it the moment it happened. He tried to offer me what looked like a bad exchange, thinking I'd back away from it. And after a moment's thought I said, "I will officially take that action." And he looked up and said, "Your play has improved remarkably."

And the second was the first time my son mated me. He was very excited. So was I. We used to take a lot of bus rides and we'd always play one of those small magnetic dollar store chess games while we did. I was so proud of him sticking to the game long enough to sneak one past me. The goodest of times.
    (Avatar by Cuthalion, who is great.)

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by truemane View Post
    Two best games:

A good friend taught me to play chess in university. And he always won. I took some time after uni to improve my game, and out first game after that, he wasn't expecting it and I wiped the floor with him. I'll never forget it the moment it happened. He tried to offer me what looked like a bad exchange, thinking I'd back away from it. And after a moment's thought I said, "I will officially take that action." And he looked up and said, "Your play has improved remarkably."
    My favorite wins are of the "give them a sucker move to make" variety. My worst losses are where I take the sucker move.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Well, my opponent wasn't really being cocky and arrogant. He was a very nice but serious chess player. Although I've faced a variety of skilled chess players before and I usually lose like 99% of the time.