New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Drifting Worlds IC

Caen grimaced as the mageling whined. He hated dealing with green mages, but, as a once friend had told him, everybody had to start somewhere. Not sure why this one started with him on a stake out for an assassin, but still.

He shook his head silently, not taking his eyes off the entrance that his mark had taken. "Then we deal with them. You my friend are to distract, torment, and utterly make them incapable of maintaining a solid tactic. Tell me, what spells do you have available in your repertoire? I hope you have more than just a magic missile and fireball." he said the last part sardonically, hoping that this mage, had indeed prepared some battlefield control, as that was what was needed.

He instinctively phased through detecting aberrations then doors and then undead, as he was want to do when he was bored. He was in a good spot, covered and in the shade, underneath a overhanging rock, it was hard to see into, but easy to see out of, almost impossible to sneak up on, he had found the obvious hiding spot, and then chosen the other spot, not knowing how legitimate of an assassin he was hunting.

where were the others he thought to himself, not for the first, or last time.

Spoiler
    Show

What do i know about my mark?
    Race? (I get a bonus vs Humans, Orcs, and Ogres)
    Knowledge Local - (1d20+18)[27]
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare
    “Gnyðja mundu nú grísir, ef þeir vissi, hvat inn gamli þyldi” -Ragnar Lodbrok

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

Discord -Now with a recruitment bot!

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

after getting windy ready to go she attach's the imperial clasp to her cloak, then mounts and flys off ( hopefully edit rolled this earlier (ride check: (1d20+2)[8] handle animal (1d20+27)[35]) )
    Last edited by samduke; 2019-08-01 at 12:55 PM.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Anvillian is perplexed, as his experience with the authority of Horg was much different. He smiles and nods appreciatively at Nikolaos' thoughtful offer, seeing this as likely the best path to the resolution of the problem laid out in front of them while also appreciating the honesty and discretion provided with it.

"You clearly have a knack for understanding and maneuvering within the politics of the region, something for which I'm rightfully thankful given my apparent lack of it." Anvillian says quietly to his companion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatwarforged View Post
    You sir are a True Pirate Lord.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Troll in the Playground

@Thorne and Anvillian

Like I said we ship mostly fruits and vegitables, occasionally grain and meats. I think the captain's boss does not care. However if he is given a reason to care, perhaps things would get better. So feel free to write such a letter, I ask you don't place my name in it just in case.

@Caen

I can slow people down and speed others up. I can make people fall asleep and create a field of sticky webs. However I mostly picked for my ability to communicate and scout. So I have limited talents in battle, still it got me out of the royal potion brewery for a few days. He smiled broadly.

@kamyrn

Windy spots a pair of people under an overhang several 100 feet above the canyon floor.
    Last edited by redfeline; 2019-08-02 at 05:07 PM.
    Custom avatar by Emperor Ing

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Looking down at the pair seeing one appears orcish, taking the chance urging windy to dive, swooping in near silence towards the people on the overhang, with deft agility and a bit of dust as she lands near the half-orc. Dismounting and not really waiting for proper introductions, adjusting her cloak so the imperial clasp shows, looking directly at the half-orc, Are you Caen? (When he asks kamryn speaks the code word Cedar), I was hired to come here to help with a fugitive/prisoner issue. can you fill me in on details?
    Last edited by samduke; 2019-08-02 at 10:31 AM.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"It may be worth a try. But it would help if there were specific examples of how it impacts the business. If you told a bit more about what he's been getting up to, any instances where his approach presented a significant problem in particular, I could make it rather convincing."

Thorne spends a little time speaking with the crewman, while keeping an eye out for the captain lest he get him into trouble.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    This is a bit of a side tangent, I'm quite happy to treat the rest of the conversation in a general sense and move on. Unless others have something else in mind of course.
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-
    Guides, tables, and other useful tools for 5E D&D

7. - Top - End - #37
    Troll in the Playground

@ Andrinor

Interesting that you claim, to be visiting our docks, and yet dress and speak like any other from E'rifu. The guard drinks from a water skin at his side. Perhaps you are lucky we caught you when we did, being on a capitol vessel like that, it would look like theft. I am sure I don't need to tell you, that treason is a capitol offense. So what ever your affairs are, count your lucky stars. At that he sits in his chair content to wait for law enforcement.

@ Thorne and Anvillian

The voyage ends not far after dawn. The polished decks nearly gleam in the early mourning light.

The pair of you a met by a person who's cloak is clasped by a gold imperial pin. He leads you though the city that exists by the eastern docks, into the main portion of the island. The capital island has 6 spires, one for each compass direction, a top, and a bottom. (Picture the game of jacks.) Inside the main structure he leads you to the upper spire, few citizens of the world ever make it to top or bottom spire, the keep and the dungeon respectively.

This place is steeped in traditions, no blood may be spilled here in anger. If such a thing were to happen the world would end. Possibly a myth, but it has never been tested and every month people are reminded of the very real possibility, after all this is the center of the world and holds the continents in place. This has led to some interesting situations, the kings guard for example are excellent grapplers, and executions in the capital involve being tossed out of a hole in the bottom of the dungeons.

You move into the mages wing, not high in the spire at all. It is full of robed figures moving about with an assortment of liquids and parchments. These cheap magic items formed a surprising amount of the capitols income. From there you went up several more flights of stairs, as you did so the music of a pipe organ began to be heard. Before long you were at the source of the music.

The muse was dressed plainly in a blue robe, a single gold clasp marked her station. Her fingers moved swiftly and deftly across the complex instrument giving off a complex and beautiful melody. In front of her sat a plate of half finished eggs, the running yolk spilling out of the remaining half of an egg. The crust of some bread sat in the yellow stain in a vain attempt to soak up the nurturing elixir.

She stops and turns around hearing the door open, leaving the song forever unfinished. She is a thin woman, but not overly so. Her hair has an edge of silver and her face is creased with worry lines. She watches you for a moment and grabs the plate. she picks up the crust and puts it in here mouth. She then uses a fork to remove the remains of an egg.

My apologies, I am so busy that if I didn't force myself to play when I can, I would never play again. His majesty has already forbidden me to retire you see. I trust you ate, if not no matter. My day is long and schedule full, yours is not.
    Last edited by redfeline; 2019-08-03 at 12:33 AM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Anvillian, hailing from the lands of an Ogre who wasn't much for pleasantries as the time spent on them was time not spent amassing wealth and power, gets immediately to business.

"Your invitation said that I could receive a pardon, however, nothing in this life is ever free. What do you wish me to do to earn this pardon and clear my name so I can be free to return home?"

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Shortly before the ship arrives, Thorne dresses in the dress uniform he had brought for the occasion. His normal garb could shift in appearance, but that had always seemed like cheating to him when it came to formal occasions.

Thorne glances aside at Anvillian at mention of the need for a pardon, but simply bows and states, "It is an honor to meet you. I am prepared to serve the Empire in whatever capacity is required."
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-

10. - Top - End - #40
    Troll in the Playground

@ Thorne and Anvillian

The muse turns to Anvillian. "I have a great deal of political power, and being of the empire. If we say you are pardoned, then the merchant tribes of E'rifu will have no choice but paradon you in full. Not that a paradon is what you really want." She stands and walks, "Please follow me."

She leads them back down into the main room of the mages. Back into the main halls and into the opposite side and up stairs. Anvillian, you have a diverse set of skills. Were you ever satisfied using your blade magic in the service of your merchant lord? She nod's after Anvillian replies, after that she continues up another flight of stairs and yet another.

You now enter a small chamber with a shelf of books and a desk. On top of the desk is an open star chart. She takes you to a glass set of double doors leading out to a balcony, on which is a telescope. "This is the western observatory, so as you can see we still have twilight on this side." She looks through the lens and moves the telescope a few millimeters. Take a look through here and I am sure you will see the problem.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Thorne is eager to take a look, but as the Muse seems to be addressing Anvillian for the moment, he allows the other man to look first before stepping up to the lens himself.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Anvillian's only response to the question of his satisfaction of his time under the rule of Horg is "I believe Horg was a fair leader." unable to bring himself to dishonor his father figure's memory.

Anvillian hesitates a moment seeing if Nikolaos would be the first to look through, but recognizing quickly that he is waiting for Anvillian to look first, Anvillian steps forward and peers through the telescope, careful not to bump or nudge the fine instrument.

Spoiler: Perception Check
    Show
    Perception (1d20+23)[34]
    Copy/Pasted from the OOC thread
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2019-08-04 at 07:15 AM.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Thorne looks for a long time, glances back at the Muse, then looks again. With his eye still on the eyepiece, he says, "The wanderer, it is brighter than I have ever seen it before. Is it more energetic than normal, or just getting closer?"

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Anvillian clearly appears lost, his face befuddled as he awaits some kind of explanation for why he is being shown three random stars, but he waits for Nikolaos to look first as he thinks.

In response to his companion's comment, Anvillian inquires "There are countless stars in the night sky, what does it matter if a star should get more or less bright?"

15. - Top - End - #45
    Troll in the Playground

"Great question, it matters because it is getting closer. We have as you say countless stars, or continents and islands out there in the cosmos. " She gestures with her hands. "If you look for back into legend you will find tales of when this has happened before. I know you may think they are just stories of kobolds and dragons. However unlike those, we have proof other lands exist."

She looks into the telescope again. "This wandering star turned from its old path one month ago and has been growing ever since. Believe it or not a month ago the wander was among the faintest stars in the sky and now it is quickly becoming the brightest. At this rate that star may arrive here by the end of the year. To remind you that is a scant 3 months away." She pauses in a manic rant. "Not much we can do about that".

She stands up strait and walks to the pair. "I called you here for a different reason however. As mentioned the wanderer is getting brighter, I am far from the only one to notice. In fact, I learned of this anomaly because a cult has been forming and causing trouble rather quickly this last month. Supposedly they believe this to be a sign that 'the herald of the great beast' will soon awaken and our world will soon end."

"I need you to end this cult before it gets more traction. I don't much care how you do it. Recently they have been kidnapping children, poisoning wells, and most noticeably they tried to assassinate the emperor's own daughter. All of that while hiding in the shadows, just imagine what they could do if they were joined by mobs of panicked citizens?"

16. - Top - End - #46
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Andrinor attempts to shrug, made more difficult due to the manacles. "I dress like I do because my own clothes were old and worn, so I had to replace them while I was here," he says. "And the reason I speak like you is because I have friends from this land. I didn't realise it myself, but I must have picked up something of their accent while I was with them." He decides to remain passive, allowing these people to think him a simple stowaway or even thief. As long as they don't try to hang him, he is content to play along. "I wouldn't have thought it was even possible to steal a ship as big as any of those at the docks singlehanded. I assumed it would take many hands to make such a ship work. If we are waiting for an officer to arrive, could you maybe fulfill my initial curiosity and explain how a single person could run a large ship?" he asks. He is genuinely curious, since he had not gotten aboard the ship to be able to see if a single person really could steal and operate the ship.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Troll in the Playground

The guard looks at Andrinor, "You are a truly horrible liar. If you pick up dress and accents so quick, you'd be a master criminal. Clearly you are not that competent however. You did pick a good ship, to take. For some reason it was prepared for travel last night but won't leave until this mourning. Foolish if you ask me. "

He drinks some more water. "Any how, that ship really just needs some one to stay awake and guide the animals. So a great choice to get off E'rifu. So let's look at what I know. You are desperate enough to steel a ship and you want off E'rifu. Perhaps you are guilty of a crime, something more sever than a day in the stocks." He smiles at you.

There is a knock at the door, he gets up. Opens a peep hole. Seeing the guard outside he begins to unbar the door. His back is turned to you, and several open windows are there if you wish to leave by a side passage.

OOC: Feel free to ask for any info you want before posting.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

Caen saw the flying creature long before they saw him, eyes trained from years of perception endurance tests. He nudged the mage, alerting him of the newcomer, and readied himself, perhaps this was the backup, though, he did not recognize them, waiting for the code word, he was answered correctly, his body tensed slightly less, though not entirely, as this large landing, and creature was pretty obvious.

"I am Caen, yes, who are you?"

{after listening to response}

"We are hunting the assassin who poisoned the Emperor's Daughter. He is a blonde dwarf with distinct blue tattoos a pattern of blue serpents over most of his body. He posed as a Goldsmith, or is one, I'm not sure, which is how he got so close. We tracked him to this magma spire, where we saw him enter, and sent word for backup. You're here now" he eyes her, as if questioning that statement "So i guess we should go in after him now?"
    Last edited by BelGareth; 2019-08-05 at 01:06 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare
    “Gnyðja mundu nú grísir, ef þeir vissi, hvat inn gamli þyldi” -Ragnar Lodbrok

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

Discord -Now with a recruitment bot!

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Thorne's eyes harden, especially upon mention of the assassination attempt, "Do we have any information on the ringleaders of the cult? A decisive strike to deal with those egging the rest on would not end the issue on its own, but it is likely the fastest way to disrupt their main plans."

"Also, what kind of resources will we have access to? We will need information, transportation, and when things come to a head the ability to call on more fighters than just the two of us."
    Last edited by Daishain; 2019-08-05 at 06:36 PM.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Quote Originally Posted by BelGareth View Post
    Caen saw the flying creature long before they saw him, eyes trained from years of perception endurance tests. He nudged the mage, alerting him of the newcomer, and readied himself, perhaps this was the backup, though, he did not recognize them, waiting for the code word, he was answered correctly, his body tensed slightly less, though not entirely, as this large landing, and creature was pretty obvious.

"I am Caen, yes, who are you?"

{after listening to response}

"We are hunting the assassin who poisoned the Emperor's Daughter. He is a blonde dwarf with distinct blue tattoos a pattern of blue serpents over most of his body. He posed as a Goldsmith, or is one, I'm not sure, which is how he got so close. We tracked him to this magma spire, where we saw him enter, and sent word for backup. You're here now" he eyes her, as if questioning that statement "So i guess we should go in after him now?"
    You may call me Kamryn, point to the Roc, that is windy she will be my eyes above should this guy come out somewhere unexpected. Just how experienced would you guess the would be assassin to be? Do you know of any other ways in or out?
    Unless your expecting more help, I would say yes we probably should get this dwarf.
    turning to windy go scout the area see whats out there. Kamryn follows Caen to the area.
    (kamyrn: k. geography (1d20+16)[26], perception (1d20+31)[36], stealth (1d20+23)[41], survival (1d20+23)[28])
    (windy: Perception (1d20+20)[38], survival (1d20+10)[26], fly (1d20+19)[38])

21. - Top - End - #51
    Troll in the Playground

@Thorne

"We have limited knowledge, but gaining Intel is one of your talents I believe. I will send you information as I gather it myself. If you require I will send a few troops to aide you and I will of coarse compensate you for your expenses. Transport is going to need to be your affair, if I provide you with a vessel it would announce to all who you are better than any town crier. You should make your way to a port in Ati'vi and purchase a used but serviceable ship."

She goes over to her desk and grabs a sealed letter. "Take this to the quartermaster on the second floor, he will give you the money to make such a purchase. As for where to start looking, the assassin fled to E'rifu. You could start there, or you can try your own idea's for a lead. Perhaps the several abductions on Enotse, would be promising."

@Caen and Kamyrn

Windy flies above for a while and returns with out finding anything. The pair of you enter into the magma spire passing by the seal, a stone bearing the mark of ownership for what was once a valuable mine. The trip is uneventful and the mine spacious enough for the ogres of the land to walk upright but not much pass that. About 15 minutes into the spire it opens up into a large angular room, as if you found a mountain slope inside the spire. [Profession minor.] After a few moments of looking for foot prints and Kamyrn concludes that the dwarf headed down this slope.

The young mage looks down the slope. How steep do you think it gets?

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Cean if you can try to move quietly.
    Following the tracks down the slope moving ever so quietly in an effort to sneak up on the would be assassin dwarf
    ( darkvision 60 ft, low-light vision, listening, perception (1d20+31)[51] : stealth (1d20+23)[35] : survival to follow tracks at normal speed Swift Tracker (Ex) (1d20+31)[38] )

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Thorne thinks about it for a moment, "We could do both after a fashion. I assume the Empire has already sent people after the Assassin yes? If you could put us in touch with them, we can let them know that they need to be on the lookout for more than just the one person, and coordinate our findings from there while the two of us look into the kidnapping connection."

Turning to Anvillian he continues, "Are you with me? I do not know what it is you need a pardon for, and to some degree I do not care. This is bigger than either of us, especially if there is any truth at all behind this prophecy. The cult does not have to be right about everything for there to be something big on the horizon connected to The Wanderer."
    Last edited by Daishain; 2019-08-06 at 08:00 PM.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Anvillian responds to Thorne's question "I will gladly work to prevent a cult from wreaking havoc on the empire. Also, is there a description of the assassin the fled to E'rifu?"
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2019-08-06 at 07:47 PM.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Andrinor decides that enough is enough. If they are now considering more serious charges, it may be time to leave. His moment arrives as the guard turns his back to let in someone else. Someone he is sure he doesn't want to meet. And someone who would make his escape much harder.

He concentrates, calling upon his powers to change form into that of an earth elemental, formed of living earth and stone. As he changes, he immediately sinks beneath the floor, and then out from beneath the building. He stays beneath the surface as he glides along, trying to get as far as possible from the scene of the crime and the captivity. He decides that he will bide his time, and then probably shrink to a tiny size and then simply stow away on the ship when it leaves. He prefers not to use his powers when possible, but that is one use of them that usually causes the least problems.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Troll in the Playground

@ thorne and Anvillian

He is a dwarf coated in blue serpents, golden hair if I recall. We have agents, about a dozen tracking him on E'rifu. I plan to put you in touch with them as soon as they have finished there task. I will see if one of our spell casters can provide you with some means of communication. See my assistant, Aspen after you talk to the quartermaster. Any final questions?

27. - Top - End - #57
    Troll in the Playground

@ Cean and Kamyrn

The three of you move slowly down the slope eventually stopping at a wall along the bottom. A brief search has you turn right and follow the path along the bottom. You begin to sweat as you travel further underground. Eventually you come to an opening leading at a slight but steady angle further into the spire, like the room your in wood braces line the wall every so often keeping the weight of the world from crashing down onto your heads.

Your mage friend begins to walk forward and Kamyrn spots a subtle glimmer of light. A thin wire has been stretched tightly across the path ahead. "How much further in do you think this dwarf is hiding?"

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

"I've got nothing." responds Anvillian. Looking to Nikolaos for any additional information gathering.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Thorne looks back to Anvillian, then says, "More time available to get this done would be nice, but since even you cannot halt the heavens... I'm certain something will come up, but that's all I have for the moment. We had best get moving."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Assuming nothing else comes up, Thorne would go to see the quartermaster and then Aspen as suggested.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Troll in the Playground

@ Andrinor

Andrinor moves through the ground resurfacing some distance away. For some reason he can't get that ship out of his mind, he almost feels physically ill at the thought of using another ship. Still he has his plan and waits until dawn. Staying with in eye sight of the ship albeit at a large distance he watches as a pair of crewmen board and quickly cast off. The dock workers were right they had left the ship completely ready to depart. Andrinor would need to move fast while the ship was still only moving at port speed.

@anvillian and thorne

The pair travel down to the quartermaster who opens the note. He quickly reads it and looks at the pair. He nods, for reasons that the group can only guess at he then goes into a back room and returns with a coin purse. Inside the pair finds 100 shiny silver coins of pure platinum. Looking at the pair of you he speaks. These funds are a debenture. Upon completion of your service we will require the coins be returned or you can provide us with the materials you purchased with these funds. If such items are destroyed then we will introduce an inquiry into the proceeding events and if your found liable... He pauses seeing your reactions. He lets out a sigh You've tuned me out already haven't you? Look I'll make it simple, just keep what you purchase and bring it and any left over funds back. As the pair leaves he says to himself. Why memorize legal contracts when no one can pay attention to the end.

The two of you quickly find Aspen. He is a green haired gnome that seems to be called a different plant name by every passerby. Thus far he has been called aspen, oak, fern, poison ivy, yucca baccata, and tabacco. "I was given little time to prep a solution to your communication needs. This is the best I have currently." he holds up a pair of polished black stones covered in complex red runes. "When you whisper in one stone the wearer of the second stone can hear it and vice versa. I or another spell caster will wear the second stone at all times. In as much as you can one of you should wear the other."

A halfling walks by Aspen. "Hey Cork, lab five has finished creating the elixers that were requested." "Excellent,Luna Deegan will assign them there next task." The gnome then returns his eyes to the pair of you. "If you need any magical potions, scrolls, and such. I have been authorized to sell you lab stock."
    Last edited by redfeline; 2019-08-09 at 11:49 PM.