New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1172 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Then don't use "we" when you mean "me" unless you are royalty.
    Even then, from what I understand, as it originated as either speaking for the Royal Family (who would of COURSE agree with the monarch about everything), or the Monarch and God for all that extra Divine Right of Kings stuff, depending on who you ask. So you're still claiming to speak for SOMEONE else using the Royal We.
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

2. - Top - End - #332
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWyrmGold View Post
    Also, out of curiosity, are we all not-citing the same video? Because a lot of the talking points sound familiar, just viewed through another lens
    Partially. I also read James Fallows. Not because of his flying articles but because of his international poltiics (of which I will say no more, because board rules), but he does like flying, so he was all over the 737 Max crash. When he and Wendover pretty much agreed on all points, I took at as close enough to the truth.

Yes, I'm aware that there is a fallacy in there where Wendover might have sourced Fallows too (not the other way round, Fallows was out first).

ETA: I didn't quote either because I'm at work, and youtube and twitter searching is less-than-easy and NSFW.

But consider them both cited as the basis for my position

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2019-07-30 at 01:20 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

3. - Top - End - #333
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

I'm curious if the Three Fiends are going to pull V out of the fight before V can unpetrify Durkon if that is time sensitive. Do they want the world destroyed?

If so, could Elan unpetrify Durkon anyhow?

Light the lamp not the rat LIGHT THE LAMP NOT THE RAT!!!

4. - Top - End - #334
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ironsmith View Post
    Unless they're digital vampires. They've got some nasty bytes.
    They even can have Megabytes...
    Each one of us, alone, is but a drop in the sea
    Our powers pale compared with the great heroes
    Our battles don’t hit theheadlines or shake the earth
    But they are few, can’t be everywhere, and we, many
    So, when the world or universe needs saving, they come
    But when people needs saving, we are the ones to appear
    We're underdogs, but we rise up to the challenge to be heroes.
    (Wishing Joe, a low-powered superhero)

"I really like the Geek Math'ology we do here"

5. - Top - End - #335
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Particle_Man View Post
    I'm curious if the Three Fiends are going to pull V out of the fight before V can unpetrify Durkon if that is time sensitive. Do they want the world destroyed?

V and Elan are both inside the mountain. The hole opens directly to outside-the-mountain. It looks to me like there's no way they could do anything of the sort; at least, not at the moment.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

6. - Top - End - #336
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    No, there are states where self-serve gas is actually illegal. New Jersey and Oregon, IIRC.
    Huh, didn't know that. I guess that's one way to bolster the number of minimum-wage jobs nobody with other options wants in your state...can't think of any other reason to make self-serve illegal.
    Ostensibly, the ban here in Oregon was originally put in place in 1951 over fears of untrained people spilling fuel. I suspect the actual motivation was existing gas stations wanting to protect their profit margins from then-newfangled self-service stations. And regardless, that was almost seventy years ago; it's picked up a lot of cultural inertia.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

7. - Top - End - #337
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Car Stuff
    Show

Huh, didn't know that. I guess that's one way to bolster the number of minimum-wage jobs nobody with other options wants in your state...can't think of any other reason to make self-serve illegal.
    The only other thing I could think of would be Fire Safety. So you don't get people catching themselves or their car on fire because they couldn't stop smoking or something.
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

8. - Top - End - #338
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by D.One View Post
    Sidgi doesn't turn to stone because she turns the barrier to stone. That's how badass she is.
    Sigdi: I taught Chuck Norris how to Chuck Norris.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

9. - Top - End - #339
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I realise this has nothing to do with AI or whether new Star Wars films are any good, but have we had a translation of the blue runes? It looks like 'follow the law', if I was to guess.

10. - Top - End - #340
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    Ostensibly, the ban here in Oregon was originally put in place in 1951 over fears of untrained people spilling fuel. I suspect the actual motivation was existing gas stations wanting to protect their profit margins from then-newfangled self-service stations. And regardless, that was almost seventy years ago; it's picked up a lot of cultural inertia.
    I dunno, this IS Oregon we're talking about. If I had to live there as an unskilled laborer, I'd want a job where I could kick back until a customer came by.

11. - Top - End - #341

Quote Originally Posted by Crookwise View Post
    I dunno, this IS Oregon we're talking about. If I had to live there as an unskilled laborer, I'd want a job where I could kick back until a customer came by.
    Unskilled?!? I think you're discounting the skill required to not spill gasoline!

12. - Top - End - #342

IDK if they'll use it for this specific conflict but V is probably going to get taken out by the IFCC before the end of Utterly Dwarfed (though probably the four minute one).

13. - Top - End - #343
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Durkon remains petrified until the end of the vote. It's not permanent. So they don't need to release him.

The fiends also clearly don't want the world to get destroyed. After the previous gate blew up, they mentioned they await the race for the last gate.

14. - Top - End - #344

MindFlayer

Random thought -

Would casting Dispell on the priest who cast the "summon proxy" call of the meeting?

15. - Top - End - #345
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Unskilled?!? I think you're discounting the skill required to not spill gasoline!
    My usual experience is that weird state laws are the result of Portland making decisions for themselves, and the rest of us getting dragged into it.

16. - Top - End - #346
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    Unless vampires!

You can detect when vampires are manipulating the vote.

They are Allegedly tampering with the vote. A full investigation will take place later. We don't want to do things out of turn.

Look, I'm pretty sure I haven't been dominated by vampires. My good buddy Vlad told me so, and I believe him.

edit: as someone who sells gas station parts in Colorado. I'm very positive some people shouldn't pump their own gas. Those people should also not be driving at all. You wouldn't believe how much I have to charge people to replace hoses and nozzles when people drive off.
    Last edited by Ornithologist; 2019-07-30 at 01:42 PM.
    Now, Back to Lurking!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    I think I'm going to defer to his wiser judgment in this case, because I'm probably going to keep writing responses and that will only lead to me getting myself in trouble somehow.
    - I should follow this advice more often.

Belkar's Death Countdown best guess: 31/49 days used before Belkar is gone forever more! - updated to morning at 1190!

Hey, its the Blog where I write! Dice Roles

17. - Top - End - #347

My usual experience is that weird state laws are the result of Portland making decisions for themselves, and the rest of us getting dragged into it.
    You mean things other than trees exist outside of Portland?

18. - Top - End - #348
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CriticalFailure View Post
    It's crazy to me that the Boeing thing was able to happen - my understanding is that the software was made more aggressive and the back up sensors were removed without there being additional review and oversight?
    Three key root causes, known because a few crews were able to deal with a failure without crashing. (Read up on the Lion Air crash for details).
    1. AoA signal to MCAS trigger architecture (short version "single point of failure" but there is still some detail to become public) The flight regime that the MCAS was suppsed to handle was an extreme corner case that was not expected to be seen in normal operaions. Fur sure not on take off.
    2. the choice to make the AoA signal/issue alert optional.
    3. the "cost savings" having to do with pilot traning not needed, which led to "if this {new} bit goes pear shaped, here is our procedure for handling it" not being known and trained for all crews. <--- That IMO (due to a number of years of flying, etc) is the real black mark for the FAA, Boeing, and the companies operating those aircraft. That was the collective head in the sand bit (or the heads up their back sides bit) that led to some crews being able to sort it out, and some not. (More or less a few crews guessed correctly)
    The pilots are the last line of defense. If the system hangs them out to dry with an aircraft feature that operates a primary flight control, such that they have to ask "what is it doing?" and honestly not know the answer ... I'll stop there ... because it upsets me a lot. 60+ years of "lessons learned" by tragic accidents ... no, they can't say "we didn't know better." The aggregate system knows/knew better, and looked away. (I better stop ...)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    Gontor: So you’re the foolish old woman who sold all her jewels to save others.

Sigdi: Nope. Didn’t sell ‘em all. (stands in sunlight, holds up diamond)
    Heh, hope this works.
    Partially. I also read James Fallows.
    I read the Atlantic every month. Fallows is not an aviation professional, but he is a good writer. I would not use him as a primary source for anything technical. But he (IMO) did the public a service with a few of his articles where he discussed with some pilots who had filed "Eh, what's it doing?" reports via tha NASA (and IIRC FAA?) safety reporting systems. That article was a nice bit of counter balance to some of the garbage that was being repeated through the media that I will not further comment on.
    In that respect, I'm glad that his passion for flying/aviation moved him to do that.

Back to the strip:

Single points of failure is something that both Durkon's plan, and Gontor's plan, do not suffer from. They each have some back up plans to their basic plans.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2019-07-30 at 01:48 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

19. - Top - End - #349
    Pixie in the Playground

One of these days I'm gonna run a game where not spilling gasoline requires a skill check.

Everything will catch fire, knowing my group.

20. - Top - End - #350

Quote Originally Posted by Ornithologist View Post
    They are Allegedly tampering with the vote. A full investigation will take place later. We don't want to do things out of turn.

Look, I'm pretty sure I haven't been dominated by vampires. My good buddy Vlad told me so, and I believe him.
    Hey! I know Vlad! He's very cool, sure he's accidentally bit a few people, and never been outside, but he's really nice and any friend of his would never be dominated by vampires.

21. - Top - End - #351
    Titan in the Playground

You mean things other than trees exist outside of Portland?
    Yes. I and the rest of the 53%-ish of Oregonians exist, in the rest of the 95%-ish of Oregon.

22. - Top - End - #352
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    Hey! I know Vlad! He's very cool, sure he's accidentally bit a few people, and never been outside, but he's really nice and any friend of his would never be dominated by vampires.
    Don't forget he has the best advice. Its like I could never disagree with him.
    Now, Back to Lurking!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    I think I'm going to defer to his wiser judgment in this case, because I'm probably going to keep writing responses and that will only lead to me getting myself in trouble somehow.
    - I should follow this advice more often.

Belkar's Death Countdown best guess: 31/49 days used before Belkar is gone forever more! - updated to morning at 1190!

Hey, its the Blog where I write! Dice Roles

23. - Top - End - #353

Yes. I and the rest of the 53%-ish of Oregonians exist, in the rest of the 95%-ish of Oregon.
    One of my wife's friends tried to convince me of this as well. All claims I've heard so far sound credible, but still shocking.

Says the guy who thinks he would love living in Oregon, even if not in the land of ports...
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-07-30 at 01:48 PM.

24. - Top - End - #354

It's probably already been said, so I'll go ahead and say it anyways:

"...But I would not feel so all alone,
    Everybody must get stoned..."
    "Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
    Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.

25. - Top - End - #355

WolfInSheepsClothing

No. As I have said already, that is blaming the band-aid, not the problem.

The problem is that Boeing 737 can't compete with the Airbus middle distance in fuel economy. To address that, they designed bigger engine. The new engine didn't fit under the current wings, so they lifted the wings. That changed the center of gravity for the plane, which Boeing chose to address via software. The software then had no easy way of communicating what it was doing, because the 737 are relics of the past. They didn't fix that because, like with the wings, the imperative was to keep the changes "cheap" and thus not require re-training of the pilots.

So to prevent retraining, they automatized in software. And now people blame the software, rather than blaming Boeing for not biting the bullet and accepting that to compete with the new airbus models, they need a new design of their own, and every 737 pilot just needs to accept their 4 decade old model is obsolete, can't compete with modern designs, and it is time to learn to fly a new plane. And the people that employ them need to accept they need to pay for the retraining as well as for the new planes.

Grey Wolf
    I'm not claiming to understand the entire process that went into that design decision. I'm just saying it seems crazy to me that their design process allowed for the kind of changes that were made, to be made, without additional oversight and review required for approval. I believe your explanation for why those decisions were made, I was just saying I found it crazy that their process and regulatory bodies both allowed the specific system through without additional oversight.

26. - Top - End - #356

I suspect that something will come through the hole that was just made in the ceiling.

Well, something other than sunlight and air.

Not sure what it's going to be, but I have a feeling that the purpose of the hole is for entry, rather than destruction.

27. - Top - End - #357
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CriticalFailure View Post
    I'm not claiming to understand the entire process that went into that design decision. I'm just saying it seems crazy to me that their design process allowed for the kind of changes that were made, to be made, without additional oversight and review required for approval. I believe your explanation for why those decisions were made, I was just saying I found it crazy that their process and regulatory bodies both allowed the specific system through without additional oversight.
    If you want to learn more (insert Starship Troopers gif here), I recommend watching the video from Wendover productions linked earlier by GreatWyrmGold. As KorvinStarmast says (of Fallows, but it applies to both) it's a reporter's take on the issue. But it matches everything I have read from actual experts, so I consider it about as good a layman's explanation is going to be.

I'd say more about the regulatory process that should've stopped it and didn't, but politics.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

28. - Top - End - #358

Preventing drive offs and other forms of theft was part of it, I'm sure.

And I'm surprised nobody's realized that we're already transitioning to self-driving cars. All those new 'safety systems' are just turning more of the driving over to the computer because humans can't be trusted to not screw it up.

29. - Top - End - #359

HalflingRogueGuy

It’s as foolish to say “the 737 was built this way for this one reason” as it is to say “car crashes mostly happen for this one reason” or “dwarven councils end the world for one reason”.

So yeah, the planes did crash because the software was hooked to one sensor. That really is the real reason. They also crashed because the FAA certification process was compromised. That really is the real reason too! They also crashed because Boeing wanted to compete with airbus fuel efficiency in the most profitable way, and that drove them to make an immense mistake. That’s also the real reason!

(You can even say “they crashed because of the failures of capitalism”, but at that point you’re so far away from an actual actionable problem that I can’t see how it’s useful to say that.)

Why are the dwarves likely to end the world without outside intervention? Is it because of the vampires? Or is it because of the rules of the meeting? Or is it because of the non-confrontational psychology that dominates any group of people who fear ostracism?

It’s all those reasons at the same time!
    Last edited by Dion; 2019-07-30 at 02:18 PM.

30. - Top - End - #360

I'm still a bit confused by people thinking the IFCC have this factored into their plans at all.
    I'd just like to point out that saying that something unsupported is the case unless someone else can prove that it is not is an utter failure of logic. - Kish