New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: [IC] Curse of Strahd Chapter 1: The Dark Lord Strahd

Sprocketbox looked at the door curiously, then glanced to the priest.

"Is somebody sick? Maybe we can do something to help."

2. - Top - End - #62
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by gargoyleking View Post
    Sprocketbox looked at the door curiously, then glanced to the priest.

"Is somebody sick? Maybe we can do something to help."
    "You hear them too?" Drastia says before looking at the priest. "I can offer them a bit of of mending if they need that as well."

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ettin in the Playground

"That doesn't sound right. It sounds like more than 'a bit of mending' is needed here," Kouran muttered. "Hopefully sickness is all it is—at least I can help with that."

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

I doubt you are able to help my son. He is afflicted with the most terrible condition. Donavich says. The voice is silenced momentarily, then it clamors more loudly: Please dear people. Help me. I am so weak. You sound so sure of it. Please make me strong again. You hear weak rattling of a wooden door frame.

5. - Top - End - #65

Zombie

Orvin was somewhat glad to see the old chapel as the funeral procession approached. There was always a haunting beauty about such hallowed grounds; it almost reminded him of a temple to Kelemvor. Everything was always so quiet and still in a place such as this, and Orvin couldn't help but gaze at the architecture to try and take it all in. He'd have to find the priest who was in charge of this place, for he had many questions in store for them.

Fortunately, Orvin didn't have to wait long. He was about to address this "Donavich" priest in a greeting when something stopped him. Just at the edge of his hearing, there was something off about this place. Scratching, wailing, perhaps the first sounds of suffering? That couldn't be right, this chapel was only supposed to house the dead and the mourning. At least one of his companions had heard it too as Drastia offered to help with mending, but Orvin frowned in concentration. Something wasn't adding up about the situation. From what the siblings had said, it didn't sound like some sort of mourning custom. If it were some sort of illness, this was perhaps the worst place those suffering souls could possibly be as they recovered. Orvin carefully pulled the periapt he wore out from his collar and let it hang loose over his chest before following after the gnome as he headed towards the back.

"What sort of illness requires a prison?" Orvin wondered as he turned to Donavich. "He should be in hospice, not locked behind a door." The words of Kyran came back to him as he thought out loud.

"It's not some curse of these vampires, is it?"
    Last edited by Kirjath; 2019-08-21 at 10:19 PM.

6. - Top - End - #66

GnomeWizardGuy

Sprocketbox considered his years of adventuring experience as he listened to the reactions going on around him. He wasn't quite sure why he felt it, but the gnome moved away from the door, and the priest too, for that matter. And there he just waited, not sure how he could help the situation, or if there was really even anything to worry about.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Kyran looks from the door to Donavitch, his eyes narrowing, but he speaks to the newcomers instead, "It seems secure enough for now, leave it be. We can address this after the funeral. Don't worry, I suspect that the one behind the door can wait until the deceased is properly taken care of."

Assuming no objections, he'll move to proceed with the funeral as planned.
    Last edited by Daishain; 2019-08-22 at 02:35 PM.
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-
    Guides, tables, and other useful tools for 5E D&D

8. - Top - End - #68

GnomeWizardGuy

Sprocketbox looks at Kyran curiously for a moment and then around at the others. Then, with a shrug, he walks over to a pew, farther from the door, and sits down. Though, he leans his staff carefully within reach.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

"Well, not to be rude to our hosts, but if a man is in need of aid now, wouldn't it be best to help them now?" Clover asks, taking a few steps closer to the door.

Sig by Mornings
    My Art!

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ettin in the Playground

"That depends on whether we can help him now, or if we'd be putting present company in danger just to have to put down the victim anyway."

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Kyran walks close to Clover and Kouran, speaking so others cannot hear, "I strongly suspect that not only are we incapable of helping, but trying would put us and others in significant danger. If I'm right about the rest of the details, this will get very ugly in a hurry if we try to press the matter right now. It certainly wouldn't result in the funeral proceeding peacefully."

"For the moment, let us just finish with the funeral, and then we can have a chat with Donovitch. Neither he nor his son are going anywhere."
    Last edited by Daishain; 2019-08-23 at 07:27 PM.
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-

12. - Top - End - #72

Zombie

"As you say, then." Orvin acquiesced to Kyran. As long as it would be addressed, he could wait for the current matter to finish first. It felt a bit unnatural to not render aid to someone asking for it, but neither of the locals seemed overly pressed about the situation; especially the father. Orvin could wait to see if he was merely ignorant of some local knowledge, and he was more than certain that the man's life was in Kelemvor's hands anyways.

There wasn't much room to say anything else, as the blacksmith quickly moved towards his other companions to speak in hushed tones. Instead of pressing the matter, Orvin moved over and took a seat near Sprocketbox as he waited for the funeral to begin. The pew creaked in a worrying manner as he settled in, but the moment passed.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

Donovich looks at you arguing and shakes his head. If I weren't bound by my word to Ismark and Ireena, and by my vow as a priest of the Morninglord, I would have asked you to leave me. My problems are my own, and meddling with other's problems are just asking for trouble here.

Can we proceed with the funeral? Ismark needs two strong helpers to shovel and remove the dirt. The others can help me prepare the chapel.

Despite being old and hopeless, Donovich's tone shifts towards a more commandeering and imperative voice. Ismark goes to claim two shovels and beckons you outside to help him. Ireena on the other hand waits until Donovich goes to fetch a few things.I do not know what happened here but I can make a few educated guesses. Donovich was such a nice man in his past. He gave his all for his children. No matter what happened to this wretched being in the cellar, removing it or killing it may be the final push for Donovich. And you saw this town. They need a priest that guides them. Now more than ever. So don't be hasty.
    Last edited by Spore; 2019-08-24 at 02:47 AM.

14. - Top - End - #74

GnomeWizardGuy

Sprocketbox frowns at Donovich's response. He understands the old man's point. But he's seen what happens when people get sentimental about their undead relatives.

"I'll help in here, I'm not terribly strong, but I'm handy when it comes to reaching high places."

To demonstrate, he conjures up a small ghostly hand which floats over to a lit candle and picks it up, and then tips it to light the next one over.

As Ireena comes over to talk to them, he shakes hid slightly at her and whispers his reply. "If this is what I think it is, we may have no choice. The alternative could be far worse."

Then he's up, staff in hand as he sets to work helping the old priest set his chapel up for a funeral.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ettin in the Playground

"I can help in either capacity," Kouran added. "I suppose I ought to volunteer to dig."

16. - Top - End - #76
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chimera

"I'll go help prepare the chapel."
    Last edited by Wind-Up Citrus; 2019-08-25 at 03:19 PM.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

Regarding Sprocketbox' investigation:

What you can gather from the dust settling on the pews and the preciously little footprints on the graveyard is that neither the yard nor the chapel itself is getting proper care or even regular visitors. Many graves' headstones are illegible, overgrown with weed or broken. The few crypts seem to be the focal point of the care in that they are just rusted and decayed but not heavily damaged.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'll give everyone a bit of time to respond before I advance to the funeral.

18. - Top - End - #78

Zombie

Orvin felt somewhat guilty for pressing the matter after Ireena's comments. He should have known better than to barge into a situation like this in the middle of a town full of grieving. His call was to help as needed, but also to watch the hand of Kelemvor at work, and Orvin wasn't always good at toeing that line.

"I shall help with the digging as well," he offered, going to follow after Ismark. "I'm not the strongest either, but I've found that digging is not a race."
    Last edited by Kirjath; 2019-08-25 at 10:52 PM.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

Clover raised a finger in protest, but quickly stifled it. While he wasn't quite sure to what the strangers were referring, he trusted Kouran enough to let it go. He straightened out his vest, and declared, "Well, if that's two, then I suppose I shall help oraganize. Someone's going to need to keep morale up!"

He put a hand on his friend's shoulder, and assured, "Take care, Kouran, shout if you run into any trouble."

Sig by Mornings
    My Art!

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

You take your time to prepare a dignified funeral for Kolyan. Sprocketbox cleans the front pews with mage hand because there is A LOT of dust. As you notice one of the pews is about to break, you work together with Kyran to repair the thing. Drastia goes outside to find a bunch of flowers and weaves a decent wreath out of it. She even finds a bunch of shot glasses to be able to drink to the fallen afterwards. Ismark, Orvin and Kouran dig the grave. The ground is heavy, wet and packed densely so the job is not an easy one but together you easily do enough work at the location Donovich designated. Kolyan is being buried next to his wife and apparently died a good twenty years ago (the year is 735, she died in 704).

As you are finished you gather inside for a short memorial service. Here before us all lies a man who gave everything to this town. His sacrifice was ultimate, and may his death be undisturbed. He guided this town through many hardships, always eager to negotiate our needs with forces from outside. He lifted our spirits in this dreadful place, and we are poorer for having lost him.

As the priest moans about this bleak happenstance, Ireena starts to wail once again while Ismark becomes angry but stays silent. Donovich, all but blind about this outburst, tones down his doomsaying a bit.
    Now we carry our father, our burgomaster, our ... he looks at the outsiders friend to his last rest.

So you carry the coffin outside, balance it on two leather straps and lower Kolyan into his grave. As the coffin is secured but the grave still open, you see half a dozen of raven flocking towards you, perching themselves in good view around you. Shortly after that, you hear a horse carriage. That is not good. Very much not good. Ismark says as he draws his blade. Ireena, go inside. Ireena hears her brother but is frozen in place. The only thing she is able to do is draw her rapier.

At the entrance, a black carriage stops. It is pulled by two elegant horses, their fur not shiny but dull like they are made of smoke and mist. The coachmen is a hunched figure clad in brown with his hood up. Out of the carriage steps a slender and tall man. His face is very angular, his skin pale and he wears his long black hair open. Some of you recognize him, but it is definitely a vampire.

Spoiler
    Show

I hope I am not too late to say my farewells to my good friend Kolyan. the man utters. Ah, newcomers. Allow me to introduce myself, I am the Ancient, I am the Land. But you may adress me as Count Strahd von Zarovich. He looks at you expecting you to bow.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Kyran draws his sword along with the siblings, wishing he had brought his musket, not to mention his newest project...

As Strahd steps out, his face tightens but he says nothing. If any of the newcomers look to respond with violence, he'll shake his head in their direction.

22. - Top - End - #82

GnomeWizardGuy

Sprocketbox seemed somewhat surprised when the swords began to be drawn. Then he realized something was going on and moved a bit away from the others, seeking a bit more of an open space for himself. His staff in his hands, he watched Strahd exit the coach and he understood their predicament. Still, should tensions break out now, he would be prepared. A rime of frost appeared across the crystaline tip of his staff, glowing slightly and emitting a small bit of nist as it reacted to the warmer air.

23. - Top - End - #83

Zombie

Orvin was surprised to see the one supposedly responsible for their current predicament stride so calmly up to the very people he had trapped in this dimension. The vampire exuded confidence like the priest had never seen before, and it only lent credulity to the villager's claims of Strahd's arrogant game. Orvin nervously grabbed for his quarterstaff and his holy symbol, a silver bell engraved with a skeletal hand, though he wasn't sure which one he would need more. His usual connection to Kelemvor's mercy had felt more distant than usual for some time now.

Still, this was the creature so many had failed to stand up against? This was the enemy of Kelemvor that he'd been told about only hours earlier? Orvin wasn't sure he could face such a monster, but he knew it was his duty.

"Are you here to defile this corpse, or simply to pay your respects?"
    He asked in a strained voice.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ettin in the Playground

Kouran gave a warning look to those who had drawn swords, and did not draw his own. "Peace, Orvin. Perhaps the Count is simply here to pay respects—the likes of us would provide too-brief amusement," he ventured.
    Last edited by Athaleon; 2019-08-28 at 02:48 AM.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

Ismark is struggling to hold Ireena back who is furious. Strahd smiles at Ismark and suggests: Ismark, that is not how you treat a lady or welcome royalty. Release her and drop your weapon. Ismark's gaze freezes, as he drops the weapon and releases Ireena. Yes my lord. he drones on in a monotone way and bows to Strahd. Ireena stands a step in front of her brother. YOU killed my father and you know you did. You hounded him until he perished.

My dear Tatyana Strahd adresses Ireena. I merely moved my pawns into position. I am not responsible for your father's mortal weaknesses. Come with me and all your earthly woes are naught.

Strahd simply ignores the threats and disrespect shown to him. In fact you think he doesn't even recognize you as backdrop. It seems only ancient courtesy made him introduce himself to you.

26. - Top - End - #86

GnomeWizardGuy

'Tatyana' Sprocketbox mused. That name might hold some significance. He filed the name away for now. Who knows when, or if, he'd have an opportunity to find out more about it. For now, the gnome held steady.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chimera

Drastia felt the fear grip her like a clenched fist conflict with her righteous indignation towards such a callous being. The magic words of power lie on her tongue, ever so ready to strike.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Kyran's sword remains pointed towards the earth, but it is visibly trembling, along with the hand gripping it. Anger plays out over the smith's face as he stands and keeps his mouth firmly shut, not trusting himself to speak. He's there, right there! The one being ultimately responsible for the loss of his sons. He's there, and yet attacking would be a futile gesture at best...

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

I will NEVER surrender to you! Ireena lashes out at Strahd who doesn't even dodge her blow. He merely stops the blade with his hand and throws her to the ground. Maybe I can use your brother to convince you then. Ismark, we are leaving. Strahd turns away, with Ismark following him. Oh, and this funeral party is pitiful. Let's get some older residents to attend to this. Strahd snips with his fingers, and you hear quite a few scratching and burying noises all around you, including Kolyan's casket. It swings open and a white haired old man raises, starting to climb out of the grave.

Next up: Clover
    Last edited by Spore; 2019-08-29 at 04:30 PM.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

"OI!" Clover shouts, the dead returning to unlife around him, "Ismark! The Cold Hells you think you're doing!?"

Not waiting to see his reply fall on deaf ears, he draws his blade, not to reach the man necessarily, but to put a body between Ireena and the shambling monster. Throwing caution to the wind, he lunges forward and stabs at the creature.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Clover's gonna draw his sword and move to J15 (as I assume he can't draw both his sword and shield at the same time), and attack.

Attack with rapier: (1d20+5)[11]
    EDIT: Forgot to roll for damage just in case
    [roll]1d8+3[/roll]
    Last edited by Chromascope3D; 2019-08-29 at 07:30 PM.

Sig by Mornings
    My Art!