New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: OOTS #1174 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Jannoire View Post
    She misted when she noticed the law runes were gone. Durkon smashed the table (indirectly), which caused the meeting to be stopped. That's when the runes disappeared. That's when curly bolted. And that's also the reason why Gonetor can attack Sigdi without becoming a lawn ornament.
    Exactly. The breaking of the table is what stopped the meeting (since the room no longer met the requirements for the meeting). It did not have to wait for the Speaker (or any other member) to acknowledge it--if they had instead attempted to continue the meeting, then any further motions they attempted would be void of authority.

2. - Top - End - #392
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

She's also seen in the panel when the table breaks. She misted right afterwards, which suggests to me that she knew what was coming. Maybe Gonetor shouldn't have been following Greg's orders this closely...

3. - Top - End - #393
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by JT View Post
    Not applicable to Greg, since the meeting was suspended, but Curly used her supernatural ability to mist out while the council was still in session. Is that a problem? Shouldn’t she have been petrified when she used that ability on a(ny) creature (herself)?

Honestly, I don’t really care. Even if it’s a mistake, it could imho be justified as a “we didn’t consider vampiric misting when developing the wards.”
    A possible loophole... the action has to break Dwarven law. Using a supernatural ability on another creature certainly does. Using a supernatural ability one possesses (which one could argue is distinct from casting a spell on oneself - misting is just something you activate internally, spell energy is something from outside - particularly if divine magic) on oneself might not be technically breaking the law.

Quote Originally Posted by ijuinkun View Post
    Exactly. The breaking of the table is what stopped the meeting (since the room no longer met the requirements for the meeting). It did not have to wait for the Speaker (or any other member) to acknowledge it--if they had instead attempted to continue the meeting, then any further motions they attempted would be void of authority.
    I'm a bit skeptical that the table breaking was sufficient in itself to suspend the meeting. It's quite a few panels of the Exarch gloating (yes, talking is a free action, but he was saying quite a lot) before the priest "unzots", which only happens after one of the members has already made the motion. The motioner even interrupts the final "yes", so it could be argued that had the dominated council member completed the word before the statute was invoked, the vote would have counted. (The Exarch certainly would have!)

Or at least, that's how I read it. I might be wrong. At any rate, not going to wage war over it. This time.

C.K.
    Last edited by CandidKid; 2019-08-13 at 03:44 AM.

4. - Top - End - #394
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

She misted when she noticed the law runes were gone. Durkon smashed the table (indirectly), which caused the meeting to be stopped. That's when the runes disappeared. That's when curly bolted. And that's also the reason why Gonetor can attack Sigdi without becoming a lawn ornament.
    Incorrect. The blue glow from the law runes are still in effect when Curly mists out, you can compare the look of Gontor's beard with and without the blue glow. The law runes seem to Power down when the cleric of Dvalin unzots.

5. - Top - End - #395
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Yes! making vampires unundead is amazing!
    Professional Ancient Relic
    Beware, Monologues
    Ambassador from Gen Z
    NBITP

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdeep Merch View Post
    Use your smite bite to fight the plight right. Fill the site with light and give fright to wights as a knight of the night, teeth white; mission forthright, evil in flight. Despite the blight within, you perform the rite, ignore any contrite slight, fangs alight, soul bright.

That sight is dynamite.

6. - Top - End - #396

Flumph

Incorrect. The blue glow from the law runes are still in effect when Curly mists out, you can compare the look of Gontor's beard with and without the blue glow. The law runes seem to Power down when the cleric of Dvalin unzots.

7. - Top - End - #397
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Quebbster View Post
    A nice catch! To extend that logic (you can use the Paint pickup tool to confirm these), the Exarch's beard is darkest blue in Page 2, Panel 2. Then the council member calls the meeting suspended in Panel 3. In Panel 4, the beard is a lighter blue. Then in Panel 6, it's an even lighter blue. The priest unzots in Panel 5.

So the apparent order of events is: Table breaks --> Exarch gives the order for the last vote (meeting still in session) --> Minion starts to comply (meeting still in session) --> Other member calls for the suspension --> Minion completes his vote (now invalidated - meeting is suspended) & runes start to fade --> runes gone --> Priest unzots --> Exarch checks the rules.

Quite a fantastic example of the Giant adding in such fine detail as to make it possible to create an intricate sequence of events like the above using nothing but color! Well played, Giant, well played.

C.K.
    Last edited by CandidKid; 2019-08-13 at 05:32 AM.

8. - Top - End - #398
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

She's also seen in the panel when the table breaks. She misted right afterwards, which suggests to me that she knew what was coming. Maybe Gonetor shouldn't have been following Greg's orders this closely...
    Where do you see her misting? I've just gone back through all the panels and as far as I can see that panel you just mentioned is the last one where she appears in any form.

9. - Top - End - #399

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Where do you see her misting? I've just gone back through all the panels and as far as I can see that panel you just mentioned is the last one where she appears in any form.
    First panel of the second page, on the right. It's just Little whisps of smoke in the background.

10. - Top - End - #400
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Look behind the speech bubble where the Exarch says "That wouldn't have even stopped me if it had hit!" You can see the mist.

11. - Top - End - #401
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CandidKid View Post
    A possible loophole... the action has to break Dwarven law.
    That's not really a loophole, it's literally what it does. The barrier doesn't prevent people from casting spells, it punishes people who break dwarven law.

12. - Top - End - #402
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Delurking to raise a point that I don't think has been made yet...

I think Gontor* is wrong here:

I will kill all of you, all but one councillor! Then we can hold the vote around a card table!
    But here's what the rules say (with my interpolations in {}):

Votes shall take place at a table fashioned from the corpse of {a} tree. The table shall be of one (1) piece, unbroken and bearing suffi{cient} circumference to permit one (1) representative of each currently ext{ant clan} to stand before it simultaneously.
    A card table wouldn't be big enough for every clan rep to stand before, it doesn't matter how many of them are actually still standing. The table size is an absolute requirement.

Of course, Gontor* has only just learned of the rule, making up plans on the fly isn't his core competency, and it really doesn't matter now anyway. But why should any of that stop a forum posting?

13. - Top - End - #403

Quote Originally Posted by chuntuk View Post

But here's what the rules say (with my interpolations in {}):

A card table wouldn't be big enough for every clan rep to stand before, it doesn't matter how many of them are actually still standing. The table size is an absolute requirement.

Of course, Gontor* has only just learned of the rule, making up plans on the fly isn't his core competency, and it really doesn't matter now anyway. But why should any of that stop a forum posting?
    Oh yeah, they definitely can't, but he can (or well, he could) get a sufficiently large corpse of a tree to meet the requirements.

14. - Top - End - #404
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by chuntuk View Post

{snip explanation of required table width}
    You obviously have never been to Poker Night in Firmament.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

15. - Top - End - #405
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

To prideful Gontor* say this I must
    Just in time in the unavoidable clock
    Though he tried to put up a fight
    No one flees the revealing light
    Let mud be mud, rock be rock
    Ashes to ashes, dust to dust.
    Each one of us, alone, is but a drop in the sea
    Our powers pale compared with the great heroes
    Our battles don’t hit theheadlines or shake the earth
    But they are few, can’t be everywhere, and we, many
    So, when the world or universe needs saving, they come
    But when people needs saving, we are the ones to appear
    We're underdogs, but we rise up to the challenge to be heroes.
    (Wishing Joe, a low-powered superhero)

"I really like the Geek Math'ology we do here"

16. - Top - End - #406

BlackDragon

Look behind the speech bubble where the Exarch says "That wouldn't have even stopped me if it had hit!" You can see the mist.
    Oh yes, I see it now. Boy, she didn't have much confidence in Gontor's plan, did she?

17. - Top - End - #407
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh yes, I see it now. Boy, she didn't have much confidence in Gontor's plan, did she?
    In the second panel, she's looking in horror at something offscreen, so she probably saw something that made her mist out - possibly whoever / whatever threw the other vampire into the light.
    Last edited by Aquillion; 2019-08-13 at 09:27 AM.

18. - Top - End - #408

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    In the second panel, she's looking in horror at something offscreen, so she probably saw something that made her mist out - possibly whoever / whatever threw the other vampire into the light.
    First off, what? Minrah threw Sandy in the light, you can see her dragging her in panel ten, and her arms in a throwing motion with a path from them to Sandy in panel 11.

Second off, presumably she realized that the hammer returns, and that it's going to return, and is getting out before it does.

19. - Top - End - #409
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    Oh, she surely saw Minrah, Protector of Temples and Slayer of Nameless Vampires, approaching.
    Each one of us, alone, is but a drop in the sea
    Our powers pale compared with the great heroes
    Our battles don’t hit theheadlines or shake the earth
    But they are few, can’t be everywhere, and we, many
    So, when the world or universe needs saving, they come
    But when people needs saving, we are the ones to appear
    We're underdogs, but we rise up to the challenge to be heroes.
    (Wishing Joe, a low-powered superhero)

"I really like the Geek Math'ology we do here"

20. - Top - End - #410

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by D.One View Post
    Oh, she surely saw Minrah, Protector of Temples and Slayer of Nameless Vampires, approaching.
    We see the doorway is empty when the Ex-arch is looking through the rulebook in #1173, so the family hadn't quite arrived yet. I Think Curly is just naturally cautious (or a coward) as she fled Belkar's rage in the battle Before. She was also present at the tunnel ambush, and though we don't see her flee on-panel she pretty much must have done so when the tide turned.

21. - Top - End - #411

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Adventurer View Post
    If it's possible to remove Durkon's turned-to-stone effect before it ends of its own accord (I'm not sure) then Elan might be able to do it with Bardic Music, which can replicate Break Enchantment, if he hasn't taken too many levels of Dashing Swordsman.
    We've already seen him perform the Song of Freedom

Also, Squeaky & Jenna can apparently do it too
    Last edited by Reboot; 2019-08-13 at 10:00 AM.

22. - Top - End - #412

Quote Originally Posted by D.One View Post
    I really hope this book ends with (by that I mean, the ending includes) Minrah, Protector of Temples and Slayer of Nameless Vampires becoming an adventurer.

23. - Top - End - #413

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    Second off, presumably she realized that the hammer returns, and that it's going to return, and is getting out before it does.
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure she was just looking at the hole where the hammer went, although she maybe hadn't realised it was coming back just yet, since it turns around several panels afterward.

24. - Top - End - #414

Yeah, I'm pretty sure she was just looking at the hole where the hammer went, although she maybe hadn't realised it was coming back just yet, since it turns around several panels afterward.
    She made a guess, Mjolnir returns so the Mjolnir-like object must return, now I'm leaving before it does something bad to me.

25. - Top - End - #415
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    She made a guess, Mjolnir returns so the Mjolnir-like object must return
    Durkon's hammer doesn't really look much like Thor's hammer. Except for being a hammer. I certainly wouldn't think all thrown hammers were Mjolnir-like objects, though.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

26. - Top - End - #416
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Durkon's hammer doesn't really look much like Thor's hammer. Except for being a hammer. I certainly wouldn't think all thrown hammers were Mjolnir-like objects, though.
    It is a holy relic of Thor, so it is Mjolnir-adjacent.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

27. - Top - End - #417

HalflingRogueGuy

So here’s the real question in my mind. When danger rears its ugly head, Curly* bravely runs away every time.

Do you suppose Curly** was the same way? In life, did she always run at the first sign of danger?

How much personality actually transfers from the host to the new vampire?
    Last edited by Dion; 2019-08-13 at 11:36 AM.

28. - Top - End - #418
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A possible loophole... the action has to break Dwarven law. Using a supernatural ability on another creature certainly does. Using a supernatural ability one possesses (which one could argue is distinct from casting a spell on oneself - misting is just something you activate internally, spell energy is something from outside - particularly if divine magic) on oneself might not be technically breaking the law.
    I agree there are multiple interpretations, and we only got The rules as understood by Gontor*, but he certainly felt that Supernatural ability use was just as forbidden as spellcasting.

As for casting/affecting “self” vs “other” creature... think about how spells that increase charisma would help if you were to cast it on yourself, and then start debating/influencing.
    That would provide a big loophole, and -ought- to have been recognized when the laws were being set up.

(Again, though, I’m not bothered by it... I am here for the amazing story, and not to try and find fits to pick.)

29. - Top - End - #419
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    It is a holy relic of Thor, so it is Mjolnir-adjacent.
    Curly doesn't know that. She might have seen it return during the battle of the No OSHA compliance bridge outside, though.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

30. - Top - End - #420

Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    So here’s the real question in my mind. When danger rears its ugly head, Curly* bravely runs away every time.

Do you suppose Curly** was the same way? In life, did she always run at the first sign of danger?

How much personality actually transfers from the host to the new vampire?
    I’d say Curly** was the opposite, she ran directly into danger, no matter the size, and so Curly doesn’t like that.