New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 50 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242540 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: SZbNAhL's Similarly Sibilant (if unpronouncable) Random Banter #223

Quote Originally Posted by SZbNAhL View Post
    To be perfectly honest, Benedict the 25-year-old autistic London-residing carehome worker with a third-class degree in electrical engineering, if any of us wanted to cyberstalk you, you've already given us plenty of information. I think factotum and enderlord are the only people here (myslef included) who couldn't be identified with 30 minutes of websearching.

Also if there's some weird taboo about collating information I'm unaware of (see signature), tell me and I'll delete the post.
    I'm fairly confident I can't be found, for a variety of reasons. I won't take that bet though.

2. - Top - End - #422
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    You forgot the 'autistc'
    It was the third fact, after your first name and age. I'm missing a joke here, aren't I?

Eh, as I said before, in many ways I'm more worried about people from outside finding this account, for various reasons I'm fairly easy to find online (having a rather rare name is one of them).
    Unless somebody from outside is really into RPGs, I doubt they'd find you here. The information is disparate across many posts and most searches for your first name (your surname not being avaliable here) would get a tall man with nice cheekbones.

Honestly, most of you here could likely find my Facebook profile without much effort. Those of you who do will see that A: the information I've got publicly visible is tightly controlled, and B: I won't have anything to do with a person on the unless I'm certain I know them. Also C: that I'm a failure as a person who couldn't meet anybody if he tried, because hooray for autism and deteriorating mental health from the lack of a social life.
    Nah, LinkedIn is the stalker's site of choice. Terrible privacy controls and everybody mentions what searchable lists they're on (former workplaces, universities, etc.).

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    I'm fairly confident I can't be found, for a variety of reasons. I won't take that bet though.
    Didn't you tell us exactly which law firm you work for at one point?
    Last edited by SZbNAhL; 2019-08-25 at 11:14 AM.

3. - Top - End - #423
    Troll in the Playground

Also shared a distinctly identifying picture including an address after a fire alarm went off.

4. - Top - End - #424

I don't recall, but even then I wouldn't be on the staff list since I'm just an office assistant.

Anyway, I hope everyone's having a good Sunday. Assuming it's Sunday where you are.

5. - Top - End - #425
    Titan in the Playground

It was the third fact, after your first name and age. I'm missing a joke here, aren't I?
    You're missing that I'm in the middle I'd a very stressful day at work, therefore my hyperawareness is acting up and I miss details. Also I've gotten into arguments over whether or not 'autistic person' is acceptable language recently, it's on the mind right now.

Unless somebody from outside is really into RPGs, I doubt they'd find you here. The information is disparate across many posts and most searches for your first name (your surname not being avaliable here) would get a tall man with nice cheekbones.
    I have been very careful about that, while you could dig out my surname if needed finding it is pretty much the last step to locating my Facebook and LinkedIn pages.

And gosh, doesn't that man make me feel insecure about my looks. Doesn't help I have to mention him to get people to remember my name.

Nah, LinkedIn is the stalker's site of choice. Terrible privacy controls and everybody mentions what searchable lists they're on (former workplaces, universities, etc.).
    There's a reason my LinkedIn page is sitting underdeveloped. While it hurts my chances of herring a job it also keeps a lot of information under wraps.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

6. - Top - End - #426

To be perfectly honest, Benedict the 25-year-old autistic London-residing carehome worker with a third-class degree in electrical engineering, if any of us wanted to cyberstalk you, you've already given us plenty of information. I think factotum and enderlord are the only people here (myslef included) who couldn't be identified with 30 minutes of websearching.
    I think I'm pretty safe on that front (not that that's an invitation to prove me wrong or anything). Pretty sure I haven't divulged much that could identify me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    : THOG NOW SCHRÖDINGER's ORC!
    Quote Originally Posted by skim172 View Post
    If you ever see Hitler riding a T-Rex in your direction - you, my friend, are a very unlucky person.
    Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    "Ooh. Did you bring a biology textbook with you? No? Sorry, nothing personal." And then I dissect them.

7. - Top - End - #427
    Titan in the Playground

Also if there's some weird taboo about collating information I'm unaware of (see signature), tell me and I'll delete the post.
    Ooh, do me, do me! (in PM if you actually have something.)
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2019-08-25 at 11:48 AM.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

8. - Top - End - #428
    Troll in the Playground

I know that while I've certainly not done names (though one-to-a-handful do know mine from outside the bounds of the forum), city, occupation, and general photo have all been shared at one time or another. Along with probably other stuff. Though, there's a surprising amount of girls with pink hair around the city, so, hey, maybe not so identifying...
    Last edited by DataNinja; 2019-08-25 at 11:56 AM.

9. - Top - End - #429

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    So many people have stopped me to say like, hey *name* and it took a lot of work learning how to not say "hello person I don't know" because like 90% of the time it would be some rando.
    Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    Even worse are the times when you're like "ohhhh… I should know this person, but I can't for the life of me remember what their name is, or where I know them from... I just know that I know them."
    Urgh. There's a guy at the place I work/volunteer at who thinks he has to check everything with me and bellows my name from far away every twenty minutes or so. I often find that hired maintainence and members of the public know my name without ever having met me. (yes, Zodi, it's BSM again)

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Um, just how old *are* you? The Tripartite System hasn't been a thing for 40 years--I'm nearing 50 and I never did the Eleven Plus.
    I have a friend who's about thirty and went through a three-part system, although they referred to it as 'Something, middle school and high school'. I can't remember where they were living at the time though: Derbyshire maybe?
    Spoiler: Pixel avatar and Raincloud Durkoala were made by me. The others are the work of Cuthalion.
    Show

Cuteness and Magic and Phone Moogles, oh my! Let's Watch Card Captor Sakura!Sadly on a small hiatus.

Durkoala reads a book! It's about VR and the nineties!

10. - Top - End - #430
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Durkoala View Post
    I have a friend who's about thirty and went through a three-part system, although they referred to it as 'Something, middle school and high school'. I can't remember where they were living at the time though: Derbyshire maybe?
    Yeah, that's still there in some places, although Primary/Secondary is more common than Primary/Middle/High, and other places still have the old Secondary/Grammar split, which my original post was actually complaining about.

Although I'm also not happy because throughout schooling I was pushed towards STEM subjects, while I think I might been more successful pursuing Literature into high level academia (I've just always had more of a passion for it than science, which caused problems with motivation at university). But because of my autism and family history I was pushed into science and engineering, and as such spent a lot of time devoting energy to something I don't love, with the exception of digital logic (it's jessy so beautiful).

So yeah, a request for any teachers on here: if you see autistic kids putting their heart and soul into one thing while doing another because that's what's ecpected please encourage them to follow the former even if they don't look or feel that great about it. My mental health problems began in my first year of university when I stopped reading to focus on my electronics, and while I might not have a great career the one thing that has kept me sane is dropping the electronics to spend more time with a field I love.

I'm thinking of starting a literature blog that'll be a collection of musings and maybe short essays on books I find interesting. I'm just holding off a bit because I'm not sure I can deal with the ego blow of not analysing in the technically correct manner and being called out for it.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

11. - Top - End - #431
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Ya, I'm pretty sure someone watching me closely could figure out several of the companies I've worked for, and the approximate date of my last job change. There's not many people who have worked at that particular set of companies, and I think I'm the only one who made the switch in that time period. A little scrapping of LinkedIn and *boom* my real name.

Shrug.

12. - Top - End - #432
    Ettin in the Playground

I think factotum and enderlord are the only people here (myslef included) who couldn't be identified with 30 minutes of websearching.[/SIZE]
    I'm glad that I fit that criteria, because I still haven't fully grown out of "stranger danger" paranoia. That said, now I'm a bit worried that you're claiming that in order to cover up the fact that you did accomplish exactly what you claimed couldn't be.

I know that, rationally, that's extremely unlikely... but, again: paranoia.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

13. - Top - End - #433
    Titan in the Playground

When did 'meme' start meaning 'a picture with funny words attached'?It has very little to do with the concept of memetics, and hass in fact hindered me when I've tried to explain memes to people. Sure, they can be memes or part of memes, but they limit people's understanding of a field that is rather interesting.

This came up because I'm working on a piece where memetic warfare, particularly the spreading and suppression of ideas and information, is important, and I'm struggling to find people my age who get why I've chosen the term.

Show

14. - Top - End - #434
    Ettin in the Playground

I believe the correct term for the type of meme you described is "snowclone" but I'm not sure, nor do I know the reason behind that term.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

15. - Top - End - #435
    Troll in the Playground

When did 'meme' start meaning 'a picture with funny words attached'?It has very little to do with the concept of memetics, and hass in fact hindered me when I've tried to explain memes to people. Sure, they can be memes or part of memes, but they limit people's understanding of a field that is rather interesting.

This came up because I'm working on a piece where memetic warfare, particularly the spreading and suppression of ideas and information, is important, and I'm struggling to find people my age who get why I've chosen the term.
    I imagine it's because it's the spread of a certain general idea, far beyond the context of the original. I can guarantee that for a lot of people, they have no idea what media specific memes come from, but the idea of what's being implied tends to be communicated and takes on a life of its own, beyond the original.

No idea when, though.

16. - Top - End - #436

I have been off line for two days because of some sort of a computer connectivity thingy, and I was jonesing to be reading this thread! Man I missed you all
    Has any one seen my jar of anti-protons or my cyclotron of positrons?

Quote Originally Posted by Sermil View Post

How many surrealist painters does it take to change a light bulb?
    Soup made from multicolored machine parts
    Side employment:
    Professor Emeritus:Studies of Supernatural Events and Countermeasures;

Miscatonic University, Nashville Campus

sig thread is here

17. - Top - End - #437

This is a thing that I have been really wondering about ever since those got popular as well, but I don't know the answer - or the why of it.

18. - Top - End - #438

So, on another topic, I have been putting off the chore of laundry all day as it has looked gloomy and rainy. I finally decide to get up and start the delightful chore when while still at the laundromat of the apartment complex I live at LO AND BEHOLD! it finally opens up and starts raining and has been ever since. I don't mind a walk in the rain, but not when I am trying to do laundry.

I have such WONDERFUL timing!!!

Thank you for your alls [actually should be pronounced ya'alls] time in reading this.
    Has any one seen my jar of anti-protons or my cyclotron of positrons?

Quote Originally Posted by Sermil View Post

How many surrealist painters does it take to change a light bulb?
    Soup made from multicolored machine parts
    Side employment:
    Professor Emeritus:Studies of Supernatural Events and Countermeasures;

Miscatonic University, Nashville Campus

sig thread is here

19. - Top - End - #439
    Titan in the Playground

Mike Godwin (yes, that one) seems to have been the first to use the word "meme" in an internet-specific context, when he described his initial creation of "Godwin's Law" in a Wired article in 1994.

Image macros got started in 2004, as an actual macro (shortcut) on Something Awful for re-use of commonly uploaded images without constantly reuploading – see also, the same sort of thing as our custom smilies. Lolcats started in 2005 on 4chan, their simple generation without manual photo-editing started shortly thereafter (didn't find a year). 2008 brought the more general "stock picture plus Impact text on the top and bottom" Advice Animals. Structures vary further from there, one of the earlier such being doge.

The specific things to which "meme" refers, for a given person, seems to be mostly down to what the popular ones were when they had an interest and heard the word. To some people, it's specifically lolcats and Advice Animals, and so they say memes have pretty much died out because they're looking in the wrong places for the wrong things.

The meaning of the word has shifted as it became popular; "meme" is itself a meme in Dawkins' original sense.

(I recently got a copy of Because Internet by Gretchen McCulloch; it's quite good and very well-cited. One chapter is on memes, in the broader sense)
    Last edited by Qwertystop; 2019-08-25 at 10:45 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

20. - Top - End - #440
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Remmirath View Post
    This is a thing that I have been really wondering about ever since those got popular as well, but I don't know the answer - or the why of it.
    The concept of memes evolved through the transfer of ideas, corrupting slightly with each iteration, to begin referring to pictures with humorous captions. You could say, the way memes formed is the very definition of a meme.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

21. - Top - End - #441

Well-

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    The concept of memes evolved through the transfer of ideas, corrupting slightly with each iteration, to begin referring to pictures with humorous captions. You could say, the way memes formed is the very definition of a meme.
    Damnit, ninjaed by the cowboy.

The only other thing I have to say about memes is that, much like everything, Hideo Kojima basically figured it all out back in the early 2000s with Metal Gear Solid 2.

22. - Top - End - #442

BlackDragon

I think factotum and enderlord are the only people here (myslef included) who couldn't be identified with 30 minutes of websearching.
    Odd you think that about me, I don't recall ever being particularly secretive.

23. - Top - End - #443
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Odd you think that about me, I don't recall ever being particularly secretive.
    It's a stereotype of Manchesterites over here in the States. You're so secretive nobody even knows where your city is!
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

24. - Top - End - #444
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    It's a stereotype of Manchesterites over here in the States. You're so secretive nobody even knows where your city is!
    Could be worse. Could be like Canada, where a 'city' is three households living within a dozen kilometers of each other.

25. - Top - End - #445

BlackDragon

1) I wasn't born in Manchester.
    2) Apparently the folks who were born here are so secretive that you don't even know what they're called--the word is "Mancunian".

26. - Top - End - #446

cool Re: SZbNAhL's Similarly Sibilant (if unpronouncable) Random Banter #223

1) I wasn't born in Manchester.
    2) Apparently the folks who were born here are so secretive that you don't even know what they're called--the word is "Mancunian".
    It's pronounced "Man-cu-nian," but it's spelled "Manchesterite." it's like worcestershire sauce. Secret letters, because secret people.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-08-26 at 08:38 AM.

27. - Top - End - #447

PirateCaptain

And gosh, doesn't that man make me feel insecure about my looks. Doesn't help I have to mention him to get people to remember my name.
    You could always say "like the last pope".

It's pronounced "Man-cu-nian," but it's spelled "Manchesterite." it's like worcestershire sauce. Secret letters, because secret people.
    Surely you're familiar with the British political thriller The Mancunian Candidate? I'm told it was remade for American audiences under another name, but I'm sure the central plotline about Andy Burnham's 2015 bid for Leader of the Opposition wasn't changed much.

28. - Top - End - #448

Surely you're familiar with the British political thriller The Mancunian Candidate?
    Well, the Brits do enjoy saying "I like that. It's British now."

29. - Top - End - #449
    Titan in the Playground

Well, the Brits do enjoy saying "I like that. It's British now."
    Considering there's significantly more American adaptations of UK media than the other way around (The Office, Lord of the Flies, Doctor Who, Life on Mars, Kitchen Nightmares, just off the top of my head), you lot are in no position to judge

Show

30. - Top - End - #450
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Life has been busy, and not always in a good way. Hope you all have been doing well.

I find this discussion on internet security fun, as I know at least 4 people on this forum have my full name, and I have mentioned the province I live in. Combined with my degree, you can narrow me down to one of two people in one directory, and picking the right one of another one means you find me.

Doubt I would be the most interesting person to cyberstalk though.