New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 50 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262742 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Re: SZbNAhL's Similarly Sibilant (if unpronouncable) Random Banter #223

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
    Their point is that there generally aren't 'diet' versioms of alcoholic drinks, so if the Ginger ale everyonecwas talking about is in fact an alcoholic drink (it's not, it's just a soda), then he's surprised there's a 'diet' version.
    I understand that. I'm just saying that in my country there's a diet version of Ginger ale. Also I didn't know that Ginger Ale is really an alcoholic drink.

2. - Top - End - #482
    Colossus in the Playground

The ginger ale likely being referred to is only a colloquial name. The correct name is Canadian Dry. At least that's what it is up here, I believe America has... Schwarps or something?

3. - Top - End - #483
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    The ginger ale likely being referred to is only a colloquial name. The correct name is Canadian Dry. At least that's what it is up here, I believe America has... Schwarps or something?
    America (my country) also has Canadian Dry and I believe it called Scweeps. And also ginger ale is non-alcoholic where I'm from.

4. - Top - End - #484
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

There's also Verners, or Buffalo Rock, or anyone else who makes ginger ale. Verners is pretty great, but Canada Dry is the only one I'll actually buy myself. The Buffalo Rock brand claims to be ginger ale but is in reality some sort of treated sewage sold for consumption for some reason.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

5. - Top - End - #485
    Ettin in the Playground

Canada Dry is a brand of ginger ale, Zodi.
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2019-08-26 at 06:24 PM.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

6. - Top - End - #486
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Ginger Ale is a non-alcoholic carbonated beverage. I've never heard of it used to refer to an alcoholic variety. It comes in at least two colours with very different flavours, a dark brown Dry Ginger Ale and a much more orange Drinking Dry Ginger Ale. Dry Ginger Ale is often used in alcoholic cocktails and mixed drinks. Drinking Dry Ginger Ale, not so much.

Ginger Beer is a non-alcoholic carbonated beverage. Often it is naturally brewed, other times it is just flavours in carbonated water. More recently the alcoholic version has become increasingly popular, but it tends to always be labelled "Alcoholic Ginger Beer" here. Non-alcoholic Ginger Beer is sometimes (albeit much more rarely) used in alcoholic cocktails and mixed drinks.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

7. - Top - End - #487
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Considering there's significantly more American adaptations of UK media than the other way around (The Office, Lord of the Flies, Doctor Who, Life on Mars, Kitchen Nightmares, just off the top of my head), you lot are in no position to judge
    Given that America invented Rock and Roll, I'm not sure that the British can complain about a few TV shows going the other way.

8. - Top - End - #488
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Only in passing, the enemy is theoretically an easier shag so I've focused my attention on them.
    Wait, Americans aren't the enemy?

9. - Top - End - #489

Finally got to see the entirety of Corner Gas as well as Corner Gas: The Movie. The movie was everything I was hoping for; nice plot that could sustain a full-length film, gorgeous filmography, deeper colors and sound, better exploration of the town, exploration of Wullerton, and really heartwarming credits scenes. Absolutely perfect send-off for the fans, I don't think that could have been done better. It's a good night.

10. - Top - End - #490

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Finally got to see the entirety of Corner Gas as well as Corner Gas: The Movie. The movie was everything I was hoping for; nice plot that could sustain a full-length film, gorgeous filmography, deeper colors and sound, better exploration of the town, exploration of Wullerton, and really heartwarming credits scenes. Absolutely perfect send-off for the fans, I don't think that could have been done better. It's a good night.
    Now to watch the animated series.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

11. - Top - End - #491

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    Now to watch the animated series.
    I wasn't aware that was released yet.

12. - Top - End - #492

I wasn't aware that was released yet.
    Premiered on April 2, 2018. Season 2 premiered on July 1, 2019

13. - Top - End - #493

Premiered on April 2, 2018. Season 2 premiered on July 1, 2019
    Yeah, but that's Australian time. Which is like next Tuesday over here.

14. - Top - End - #494

Yeah, but that's Australian time. Which is like next Tuesday over here.
    If you're ever feeling down, cheer up! It's already tomorrow in Australia.

15. - Top - End - #495

If you're ever feeling down, cheer up! It's already tomorrow in Australia.
    And yet you never use that future knowledge to give me any stock tips.

16. - Top - End - #496

And yet you never use that future knowledge to give me any stock tips.
    Work hard, be kind to your mother.

17. - Top - End - #497

You lost me at the first one.

18. - Top - End - #498

After a while of not really touching the bass I found myself in a funky mood and decided to mess around a bit with Patrice Rushen's Forget Me Nots (probably better known as the sample for the theme song from Men In Black).

I forgot how much havoc the bass can wreak on my fingertips. The guitar's got me goin' soft.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    : THOG NOW SCHRÖDINGER's ORC!
    Quote Originally Posted by skim172 View Post
    If you ever see Hitler riding a T-Rex in your direction - you, my friend, are a very unlucky person.
    Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    "Ooh. Did you bring a biology textbook with you? No? Sorry, nothing personal." And then I dissect them.

19. - Top - End - #499

It's so ****ing weird seeing people talk about what is basically, typically Canadian only television. And LIKING it.

At any rate, HELL YEAH Corner Gas. It rules. I feel bad that both spin offs that birthed from it died, because Hiccups was so god damn pleasant and Dan For Mayor was the best set up and pay off I've ever seen of a season long joke other than The Good Place. Also yeah, the movie was real good, and I like how it played around with anti climax because like... this isn't a show, that people watch. It's just the lives of people. We're not gonna get some dramatic reveal or whatever, that's just the way life works. It's not a story.

Rawhide referencing The Red Green Show is a ****ing trip though I'll tell you what. That's a deep damn cut.

20. - Top - End - #500

Rawhide referencing The Red Green Show is a ****ing trip though I'll tell you what. That's a deep damn cut.
    What's The Red Green Show?

The phrase is from an Australian pizza commercial first broadcast in the 90s. A guy delivers pizza to his father, and at the end he asks for a tip. His father says "Work hard, be kind to your mother".

It's a tip I pulled from stock. A stock tip, if you will.

21. - Top - End - #501

It's so ****ing weird seeing people talk about what is basically, typically Canadian only television. And LIKING it.
    First saw it on syndication on WGN, a Chicago-based station. They're a lot closer to Canada, explains how it made its way all the way down here. Plus there's more than a few Dog River-esque towns in Alabama, let me tell you.
    At any rate, HELL YEAH Corner Gas. It rules.
    HELL YEAH IT DOES! I was kind of sad to see some of them so old, especially the actress who played Emma (also sad to hear she passed shortly afterwards), but it was delightful to see the culmination of it all.

Plus,at least they got six season and a movie. And all the seasons were good because they didn't fire the genius behind it all. No, I'm not bitter at all, you probably just think that because of a friggin' gas leak or something.
    Dan For Mayor was the best set up and pay off I've ever seen of a season long joke other than The Good Place.
    Note to self, finish Dan for Mayor.

Australian pizza
    You have my deepest sympathies.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-08-26 at 09:49 PM.

22. - Top - End - #502

What's The Red Green Show?

The phrase is from an Australian pizza commercial first broadcast in the 90s. A guy delivers pizza to his father, and at the end he asks for a tip. His father says "Work hard, be kind to your mother".

It's a tip I pulled from stock. A stock tip, if you will.
    Coulda swore it's something I heard from the Red Green Show.

Anyway, the Red Green Show is a variety comedy show based on the old Canadian lodge wilderness man stereotype. The lead is Red Green (that's his real name) who presents himself as this rustic, kinda stupid, but with a pure heart woodsman who's here to help out his more rustic, far more stupid friends and his neebish nerd-ass nephew. His general catch phrase is "Remember, if the women don't find you handsome, they can at least find you handy."

Which is to say handy with tools and stuff. Though his handiness tends to be specifically with ducktape.

EDIT: Yeah Peelee seeing Emma literally never stand even once in the film was... depressing as hell. But she had so much fun, it's nice to see.

Absolutely do. Season 2 is alright from what I've seen, but season 1 from beginning to end is a hilarious sort of brick joke that I really like. The Good Place is still my favorite sitcom (if you can even call it that) but truth be told that's such a high bar that it's not even fair.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2019-08-26 at 09:54 PM.

23. - Top - End - #503

Oh, I almost forgot about this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
    After a while of not really touching the bass I found myself in a funky mood and decided to mess around a bit with Patrice Rushen's Forget Me Nots (probably better known as the sample for the theme song from Men In Black).

I forgot how much havoc the bass can wreak on my fingertips. The guitar's got me goin' soft.
    I guess you could say you...didnt gauge it well?

24. - Top - End - #504

I guess you could say you...didnt gauge it well?
    You could say that, but I ain't gonna fret too much about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    : THOG NOW SCHRÖDINGER's ORC!
    Quote Originally Posted by skim172 View Post
    If you ever see Hitler riding a T-Rex in your direction - you, my friend, are a very unlucky person.
    Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    "Ooh. Did you bring a biology textbook with you? No? Sorry, nothing personal." And then I dissect them.

25. - Top - End - #505

Quote Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
    You could say that, but I ain't gonna fret too much about it.
    I guess the problem is not going to B major.

26. - Top - End - #506
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

At any rate, HELL YEAH Corner Gas. It rules. I feel bad that both spin offs that birthed from it died, because Hiccups was so god damn pleasant and Dan For Mayor was the best set up and pay off I've ever seen of a season long joke other than The Good Place. Also yeah, the movie was real good, and I like how it played around with anti climax because like... this isn't a show, that people watch. It's just the lives of people. We're not gonna get some dramatic reveal or whatever, that's just the way life works. It's not a story.

I think all US citizens grow up on the Red Green Show. We watched it after Dinosaurs reruns.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

27. - Top - End - #507

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    I think all US citizens grow up on the Red Green Show. We watched it after Dinosaurs reruns.
    That's so baffling to me. I'm not used to people knowing about things that I know about.

28. - Top - End - #508

That's so baffling to me. I'm not used to people knowing about things that I know about.
    Oh, it's baffling to me too, since I've never heard of it.

29. - Top - End - #509
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Oh, it's baffling to me too, since I've never heard of it.
    It is where I learned you can fix a car with duct tape :)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

30. - Top - End - #510

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    It is where I learned you can fix a car with duct tape :)
    Legitimately have seen someone do that. And Mythbusters showed that you can make a car out of ducktape and it's like, workable.