New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 46 of 50 FirstFirst ... 21363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,380 of 1471
  1. - Top - End - #1351
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: SZbNAhL's Similarly Sibilant (if unpronouncable) Random Banter #223

Quote Originally Posted by SZbNAhL View Post
    I'd like to join in on this pun thread, but I'm afraid I'd make an ass of myself. Everyone just pretend that I'm American so that that pun will work.
    I myself have accused of being too cheeky for my own good when making those kind of cracks.
    Has any one seen my jar of anti-protons or my cyclotron of positrons?

Quote Originally Posted by Sermil View Post

How many surrealist painters does it take to change a light bulb?
    Soup made from multicolored machine parts
    Side employment:
    Professor Emeritus:Studies of Supernatural Events and Countermeasures;

Miscatonic University, Nashville Campus

sig thread is here

2. - Top - End - #1352
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Well, I finally beat Level 5 CPU of my Chess Free App Challenge. Now I'm up to Level 6 (Rating of 1435) I think this must be low-tier or perhaps mid-tier territory.
    It's a conspiracy. The app is actually making you qorse as you keep playing it.

Pretty soon, you won't know the difference between Chess and rummy.

3. - Top - End - #1353
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
    It's a conspiracy. The app is actually making you qorse as you keep playing it.

Qorse? You mean worse right?

4. - Top - End - #1354
    Titan in the Playground

Qorse? You mean worse right?
    Yup. I type on my phone a lot.

5. - Top - End - #1355
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Yup. I type on my phone a lot.
    I thought so. But it's actually making me a better chess player. I can tell you're joking about the worse part. LOL!

6. - Top - End - #1356
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    Look, if any part of your body besides your brain is smart, I'd consider that concerning.
    I dunno, I've been called a smart-ass plenty of times.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

7. - Top - End - #1357
    Titan in the Playground

Gin Rummy or Tonic Rummy?

Also it's been ages since I played Rummy. And as I'm finally seeing my friend on Saturday I need to remember her get well copy of Good Omens.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

8. - Top - End - #1358
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Ok a chess question: Is a rating of 1435 considered low tier or mid-tier range?
    Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 2019-10-02 at 07:09 PM.

9. - Top - End - #1359

Ok a chess question: Is a rating of 1435 considered low tier or mid-tier range?
    I don't think you should worry about it, honestly.

10. - Top - End - #1360
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I don't think you should worry about it, honestly.
    Oh bottom tier. Gotcha.

11. - Top - End - #1361
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    It's not my taste I'm worried about, that's just a side effect of what I'm actually worried about; that I'm not as smart as I think I am, to a degree where I'm actually very stupid.
    Intelligence is a thing, and stupidity is a different thing, stupidity is like not being careful, lots of clever people are often stupid, and I think unintelligent people are a lot less so because they have to work harder at life.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

12. - Top - End - #1362
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh bottom tier. Gotcha.
    That's not what he said. He said you shouldn't worry about it.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

13. - Top - End - #1363
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    That's not what he said. He said you shouldn't worry about it.
    I heard what he said. It's does look like an easy rating to beat.

14. - Top - End - #1364

I heard what he said. It's does look like an easy rating to beat.
    What I meant was don't worry about it. If you're playing for fun, then it's just numbers. It doesn't matter. It's just a level of difficulty that you're reasonably comfortable at (and ideally having fun at). You could call it the orange level for all it matters. If you're playing competitively, then you'll be able to fairly accurately gauge how well you're doing by the competition, tournament placement. In any event, the number isn't important.

Have you looked into chess theory? The mathematics of chess? Would you even be interested in those? If the answer is no, then i promise you the number is absolutely meaningless. If the answer is yes, then the number has meaning but you won't put too much importance on it aside from hitting noticeable milestones.

15. - Top - End - #1365
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

What I meant was don't worry about it. If you're playing for fun, then it's just numbers. It doesn't matter. It's just a level of difficulty that you're reasonably comfortable at (and ideally having fun at). You could call it the orange level for all it matters. If you're playing competitively, then you'll be able to fairly accurately gauge how well you're doing by the competition, tournament placement. In any event, the number isn't important.

Have you looked into chess theory? The mathematics of chess? Would you even be interested in those? If the answer is no, then i promise you the number is absolutely meaningless. If the answer is yes, then the number has meaning but you won't put too much importance on it aside from hitting noticeable milestones.
    I'm interested at all of them related to chess.

16. - Top - End - #1366

I'm interested at all of them related to chess.
    That's great! So my advice is to stop worrying about the number and instead look into chess theory. You work at a library, yes? They'll have a bunch of books on chess strategy. Check and see if they have a chess club. Or if they or any community centers have chess theory classes, if a community college offers a mathematics of chess classes, or the like. I'm pretty sure you know this already, but don't go play chess against people in parks unless you're Josh Waitzkin; blitz chess is way more aggressive style than most people play, so unless you're used to that you're already at a disadvantage both tactically and time-wise (and that's disregarding dishonest tactics that can be used against you).
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-10-03 at 12:50 PM.

17. - Top - End - #1367
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

That's great! So my advice is to stop worrying about the number and instead look into chess theory. You work at a library, yes? They'll have a bunch of books on chess strategy. Check and see if they have a chess club. Or if they or any community centers have chess theory classes, if a community college offers a mathematics of chess classes, or the like. I'm pretty sure you know this already, but don't go play chess against people in parks unless you're Josh Waitzkin; blitz chess is way more aggressive style than most people play, so unless you're used to that you're already at a disadvantage both tactically and time-wise (and that's disregarding dishonest tactics that can be used against you).
    I don't work at the library.

18. - Top - End - #1368

I don't work at the library.
    Whoops! Don't know why I thought that, then. Regardless, libraries are good resources.

19. - Top - End - #1369
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Whoops! Don't know why I thought that, then. Regardless, libraries are good resources.
    I haven't been to the library for more than a year. The library that I used to go to is always a dramafest. (People were making noise at the library.)

20. - Top - End - #1370
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I haven't been to the library for more than a year. The library that I used to go to is always a dramafest. (People were making noise at the library.)
    I use headphones at my library. They are more like community centers now, lots of study desks and computers.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

21. - Top - End - #1371
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    I use headphones at my library. They are more like community centers now, lots of study desks and computers.
    Good for you. Anyway one time there was a Caucasian man who was yelling at the teenagers (African-Americans) and saying racist things about them at the library The teenagers was making too much noise. Luckily I didn't hear it because I was on my earphones but I did saw him shouting at them. Crazy.

22. - Top - End - #1372
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Good for you. Anyway one time there was a Caucasian man who was yelling at the teenagers (African-Americans) and saying racist things about them at the library The teenagers was making too much noise. Luckily I didn't hear it because I was on my earphones but I did saw him shouting at them. Crazy.
    So, the good thing about libraries is that they have books in them. The bad thing about libraries is that they have other people in them.

That's a sentiment I could get behind.

23. - Top - End - #1373
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

So, the good thing about libraries is that they have books in them. The bad thing about libraries is that they have other people in them.

Yeah that is accurate. My library kicked a guy out for having a weapon, which backfired when he then started shouting and waving his weapon around.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

24. - Top - End - #1374
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Yeah that is accurate. My library kicked a guy out for having a weapon, which backfired when he then started shouting and waving his weapon around.
    Wait, what?

I'd be incredibly worried if that didn't lead to a court forbidding them from going near the library for years, at minimum. Why would you need any kind of weapon in a library, we drove the book goblins to extinction over a millennia ago. Why would a normal person ever need a weapon anyway? It's not like most people have a sudden need to commit murder (unless they're a PC in a modern day game).

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

25. - Top - End - #1375

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Wait, what?

I'd be incredibly worried if that didn't lead to a court forbidding them from going near the library for years, at minimum. Why would you need any kind of weapon in a library, we drove the book goblins to extinction over a millennia ago.
    To be fair, the court thing may well have happened. It's just doubtful that we would know about it.
    Why would a normal person ever need a weapon anyway? It's not like most people have a sudden need to commit murder (unless they're a PC in a modern day game).
    Assuming that's a serious question, I have a rifle because it's really fun to shoot at the range.

26. - Top - End - #1376
    Titan in the Playground

Assuming that's a serious question, I have a rifle because it's really fun to shoot at the range.
    Serious in 'I have no clue why you'd need to carry a weapon (actually was thinking knives because of where I live) around town', not serious in 'I don't know why people own guns for use at ranges, for hunting, or for pest control'. I understand legal weapons, I even know people who legally own shotguns, and I also understand that the answer to my actual question is not appropriate to here. Although I do want to try shooting at a range despite my sight problems (which stopped me from being good enough at archery to take it up).

Show

27. - Top - End - #1377
    Titan in the Playground

Why would a normal person ever need a weapon anyway? It's not like most people have a sudden need to commit murder (unless they're a PC in a modern day game).
    One, not everybody lives in a safe area devoid of wildlife capable of doing serious harm to a human being. Two, self-defense. Three, societal collapse (at least on a small scale) is a lot more common than we tend to think it is. Sure, it's not an every day occurrence, but it does happen (riots, natural disasters, etc). Four, why does it have to be "needed" to own it?

I will say no more on the subject, lest we get embroiled in a political discussion.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

28. - Top - End - #1378
    Colossus in the Playground

Got spotted at the restaurant by someone who used to know me in school. They said I was looking really good today.

This might not seem all that noteworthy or relevant but I used to have a crush on her and it has basically made everything feel weird and floaty all day. My fingers don't even feel attached right now.

29. - Top - End - #1379
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Yes. There will always be jerks at the library.

30. - Top - End - #1380
    Titan in the Playground

Feeling down because I have to see friends being happy and in relationships while I'm miserable and alone, and struggling to meet new people (due to those problems with social situations that people swear I don't have) with not even online dating helping me to make friends (doesn't help that I don't very any mutual matches anymore). Oh, and my friends utterly refuse to introduce me to any of their friends, even only as people who like the same thing and not as relationship material.

It doesn't help that I occasionally have to deal with 'somebody likes you, not going to say who' and other teasing at work, because people can't see how utterly soul crushing that could be. So I feel stuck in a feedback loop where feeling down and unable to be in a relationship is keeping me down and in a place where I can't/shouldn't be in a relationship. And then I have to deal with the implication from society that I've failed because obviously this is what matters and not being able to do mental maths or deconstruct a story.

Show