New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 15161718192021222324252627 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #721
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1176 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    Okay, you know what, I need to know who you’re talking about as a textbook Mary Sue, because if your talking about Durkon, I completely ignored him due to his male gender and only you hating him, is it Sigdi? Are you calling Sigdi the Mary Sue? Because none of the characters I mentioned are loved by everyone, in fact most of them have clear people who hate them, and of them only Andi hating Bandana is actually shown as wrong (most of the rest are shown as right).
    Tbh, to me, gender is irrelevant to the concept. One could argue Superman is a Mary Sue. I wouldn't quite agree, but there's still enough overlap for me to hate that character regardless. :P
    Attention LotR fans
    Spoiler: LotR
    Show
    The scouring of the Shire never happened. That's right. After reading books I, II, and III, I stopped reading when the One Ring was thrown into Mount Doom. The story ends there. Nothing worthwhile happened afterwards. Middle-Earth was saved.

2. - Top - End - #722

Quote Originally Posted by Goblin_Priest View Post
    Tbh, to me, gender is irrelevant to the concept. One could argue Superman is a Mary Sue. I wouldn't quite agree, but there's still enough overlap for me to hate that character regardless. :P
    I was talking about girls beyond the Mary Sue argument, none of the female characters in this comic are called Mary Sues, but a lot of them get a lot of hate, so I was wondering who this textbook Mary Sue he was talking about was, and since women I didn’t mention is still mostly not a non-sequitur I was assuming that.

3. - Top - End - #723

I was talking about girls beyond the Mary Sue argument, none of the female characters in this comic are called Mary Sues, but a lot of them get a lot of hate, so I was wondering who this textbook Mary Sue he was talking about was, and since women I didn’t mention is still mostly not a non-sequitur I was assuming that.
    Yea, no idea.
    Attention LotR fans
    Show
    The scouring of the Shire never happened. That's right. After reading books I, II, and III, I stopped reading when the One Ring was thrown into Mount Doom. The story ends there. Nothing worthwhile happened afterwards. Middle-Earth was saved.

4. - Top - End - #724
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    What happens if you hit Multiquote, then Reply to Thread?
    The same thing did, but now a few hours later the problem is gone away.

Magic!
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2019-08-26 at 02:50 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

5. - Top - End - #725

HalflingRogueGuy

Biggest Mary Sue of all time:

Ben Affleck.

Seriously.

Can you believe that guy being a movie star, much less Batman? Heck no. Of course not. Whoever wrote the story on that one is absolutely delusional.
    Last edited by Dion; 2019-08-26 at 07:37 PM.

6. - Top - End - #726
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post

Ben Affleck.

Seriously.

Can you believe that guy being a movie star, much less Batman? Heck no. Of course not. Whoever wrote the story on that one is absolutely delusional.
    Counterpoint: Dante Alighieri.

Going through the depths of hell, traversing purgatory and chilling in heaven? All with hardly a scratch on you?

Man, talk about wish-fulfillment.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

7. - Top - End - #727
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Ben Affleck.

Seriously.

You forgot Oscar winner.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

8. - Top - End - #728

Two Oscars (on two noms), two BAFTAs (on three noms), four Emmy noms, three Golden Globes (on four noms), a DGA, a PGA and two SAG Awards. Oh, and four Razzies, for tone.

9. - Top - End - #729
    Ettin in the Playground

And to help Dion out I’ll give another Mary Sue, Sherlock Holmes, we never learn why he’s so smart and so good of a detective.
    The cocaine addiction, right?

Ben Affleck.

Seriously.

Probably Matt Damon, though he was nice enough to put Affleck's name on it too.

10. - Top - End - #730

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post

Going through the depths of hell, traversing purgatory and chilling in heaven? All with hardly a scratch on you?

From what I heard about Inferno, yea... that's quite a lot of wish-fulfillment in there. Not quite sure it'd qualify as a Mary Sue, though, because he often has his buddy come and help him out and do everything, as opposed to just being able to do it all on his own, but still getting pretty close.
    Attention LotR fans
    Show

11. - Top - End - #731
    Titan in the Playground

Doesn’t he gets seven scratches on him in purgatory? Specifically magic burn scars for his sins.
    Also he isn’t there to do anything or fight anyone, he’s just getting a tour and the whole thing is a dream anyway.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2019-08-27 at 10:38 AM.

12. - Top - End - #732
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Doesn’t he gets seven scratches on him in purgatory? Specifically magic burn scars for his sins.
    Also he isn’t there to do anything or fight anyone, he’s just getting a tour and the whole thing is a dream anyway.
    7 scratches doesn't mean much in comparison to...well, all of Hell past Limbo. And a bit before it, too.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

-Squire Doodad

13. - Top - End - #733
    Titan in the Playground

7 scratches doesn't mean much in comparison to...well, all of Hell past Limbo. And a bit before it, too.
    Sure, but why would he be tortured exactly? He isn't even dead yet.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2019-08-27 at 06:06 PM.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

14. - Top - End - #734
    Ogre in the Playground

Sure, but why would he be tortured exactly? He isn't even dead yet.
    He's in an area where everyone else is being tortured.
    He is not.

He gets to go explore the entirety of the afterlife (give or take) without needing to die and without any horrible punishment or complete and utter agony (psychological stuff like from the Bolgias notwithstanding).

-Squire Doodad

15. - Top - End - #735
    Titan in the Playground

He's in an area where everyone else is being tortured.
    He is not.

He gets to go explore the entirety of the afterlife (give or take) without needing to die and without any horrible punishment or complete and utter agony (psychological stuff like from the Bolgias notwithstanding).
    Neither is Virgil.

I mean, the entire story is a dream Dante-as-character is having as an allegorical moral tale and you say that that the story doesn't end with him at chapter one chasing a banner indefinitely makes the character a Mary Sue? That's really weird to me.

You realize there are no particular stakes in this story, nor any kind of change in the satus quo, everybody stays where they beginned, right? It's literally just a tour.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

16. - Top - End - #736

Weren't we trying to give examples of Rey-comparable characters who clearly weren't Mary Sues? And then we try to argue over whether Dante is a Mary Sue.

17. - Top - End - #737
    Ogre in the Playground

Neither is Virgil.

I mean, the entire story is a dream Dante-as-character is having as an allegorical moral tale and you say that that the story doesn't end with him at chapter one chasing a banner indefinitely makes the character a Mary Sue? That's really weird to me.

You realize there are no particular stakes in this story, nor any kind of change in the satus quo, everybody stays where they beginned, right? It's literally just a tour.
    The point was that Dante goes to the afterlife to have a tour and is an author avatar of the highest degree (being literally Dante Alighieri), and so is the ultimate Mary Sue.
    Then we started taking it slightly too seriously, whoops XD

-Squire Doodad

18. - Top - End - #738

Weren't we trying to give examples of Rey-comparable characters who clearly weren't Mary Sues? And then we try to argue over whether Dante is a Mary Sue.
    If anyone, I'd say Virgil is perhaps the Mary Sue of that story.

But, to be honest, I haven't actually read the book.
    Attention LotR fans
    Show

19. - Top - End - #739
    Ogre in the Playground

If anyone, I'd say Virgil is perhaps the Mary Sue of that story.

But, to be honest, I haven't actually read the book.
    The Inferno in particular is a good read (it's a trilogy known as Divine Comedy (meaning it ends well), consisting of The Inferno, The Purgatory, and The Paradise). I'd recommend the Ciardi translation, though if you know Italian very well (i.e. first-language or equivalent fluency) then try reading it in that.

Virgil essentially is the one that overcomes most of the obstacles, but in a more Gandalf or Obi-Wan-esque way; he's Dante's mentor, not the hero.
    Last edited by Squire Doodad; 2019-08-27 at 07:33 PM.

-Squire Doodad

20. - Top - End - #740

The Inferno in particular is a good read (it's a trilogy known as Divine Comedy (meaning it ends well), consisting of The Inferno, The Purgatory, and The Paradise). I'd recommend the Ciardi translation, though if you know Italian very well (i.e. first-language or equivalent fluency) then try reading it in that.

Virgil essentially is the one that overcomes most of the obstacles, but in a more Gandalf or Obi-Wan-esque way; he's Dante's mentor, not the hero.
    Disclaimer: my knowledge of Dante's Inferno is limited to Overly Sarcastic Productions' summary of it.

Lieutenant Mary Sue was created as a parody, a character that defied all expectations, excelled at everything, and was unanimously loved. She satyrized fanfics where people created characters that were too perfect and fulfilled some sort of wish fulfillment in allowing them to interact via proxy with their idols.

There's a similar dynamic that appears to go on in Inferno. Virgil is the object of adoration, much as Mary Sue, and like her can pretty much overcome any challenge presented to him. While he's not himself a projection of the author, his presence still serves the wish fulfillment by him becoming Dante's friend and aid, much as how Spock, Kirk, and everyone loved Lieutenant Mary Sue, Dante and Virgil become best buds.

After Rey, I'd say Virgil sounds like one of the best candidates for being a Mary Sue.

But I didn't read the book so maybe I don't really know anything about how Virgil is really portrayed. XD
    Attention LotR fans
    Show

21. - Top - End - #741
    Ogre in the Playground

Disclaimer: my knowledge of Dante's Inferno is limited to Overly Sarcastic Productions' summary of it.

Lieutenant Mary Sue was created as a parody, a character that defied all expectations, excelled at everything, and was unanimously loved. She satyrized fanfics where people created characters that were too perfect and fulfilled some sort of wish fulfillment in allowing them to interact via proxy with their idols.

There's a similar dynamic that appears to go on in Inferno. Virgil is the object of adoration, much as Mary Sue, and like her can pretty much overcome any challenge presented to him. While he's not himself a projection of the author, his presence still serves the wish fulfillment by him becoming Dante's friend and aid, much as how Spock, Kirk, and everyone loved Lieutenant Mary Sue, Dante and Virgil become best buds.

After Rey, I'd say Virgil sounds like one of the best candidates for being a Mary Sue.

But I didn't read the book so maybe I don't really know anything about how Virgil is really portrayed. XD
    Pick it up from a library, though I don't think you would have read it in 30 minutes XD

As I said earlier, Virgil is more of a mentor character. He can surpass most of the obstacles, but his staying time is limited and he is there to aid Dante than anything else. Also, there are plenty of times where Virgil is powerless and they resort to semi-literal Lesser-Deus ex Machina. If I remember correctly, Virgil doesn't go with Dante to the Paradise, but rather has to return to Limbo.

-Squire Doodad

22. - Top - End - #742

Weren't we trying to give examples of Rey-comparable characters who clearly weren't Mary Sues?
    Aye. Like Luke Skywalker.

23. - Top - End - #743
    Ogre in the Playground

Honestly, I feel like Luke actually has reasonable power for who he is. Given the Doylist setting - quick power gain for movie reasons, son of force guy, no past instances of this to compare power to - Luke actually does pretty well. There are some issues with him suddenly taking command of shooting Death Stars like Womp Rats and how he goes one on one with a (holding back) apparent pure evil Sith Lord despite having little training, but most of those are understandable and work out to be the result of the medium and suspension of disbelief instead of sudden plot holes.

Then we get to Thanos.

Wait, no, wrong thread? They seem to be merging...

-Squire Doodad

24. - Top - End - #744

Or like I said before Sherlock Holmes, a clear Mary Sue, how'd he get to be such a detective huh? Why would the best detective ever live with some random doctor? Its unrealistic I tell you!

25. - Top - End - #745
    Ogre in the Playground

Or like I said before Sherlock Holmes, a clear Mary Sue, how'd he get to be such a detective huh? Why would the best detective ever live with some random doctor? Its unrealistic I tell you!
    Doctor Who is a Mary Sue. Ridiculously long life, time travel box, strong omni-tool doodad, nifty haircut sometimes? Inconcievable!

...though that is more a member of a race of superbeings being the protagonist, and it is balanced better than, say, Superman.

You know you've done something wrong when you need to make an ultra rare material that kills the hero to stop him from being an instant win button in all situations. Which, I might add, took about 10 years to pop up.
    Last edited by Squire Doodad; 2019-08-27 at 08:10 PM.

-Squire Doodad

26. - Top - End - #746
    Titan in the Playground

Weren't we trying to give examples of Rey-comparable characters who clearly weren't Mary Sues?
    Wait, what? I thought we were talking about horrible storytelling and how it isn't fair to blame the obvious character for being butchered by a poorly-presented narrative; what does that have to do with Luke?
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

27. - Top - End - #747

Doctor Who is a Mary Sue. Ridiculously long life, time travel box, strong omni-tool doodad, nifty haircut sometimes? Inconcievable!

...though that is more a member of a race of superbeings being the protagonist, and it is balanced better than, say, Superman.
    They've been balancing Superman to threats more than once a month since 1938, I'd say he's pretty well balanced.

And here's another Mary Sue: Batman! Honestly we can keep naming superheroes and call them Mary Sues as long as we want, it'll be fun (The Flash! Robin! Green Lantern! Thor!).

28. - Top - End - #748
    Titan in the Playground

An interesting take on the Divine Comedy is Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle's Inferno.
    Shorter than the English translation of Dante's original. Won some awards when it came out.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2019-08-27 at 08:24 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

29. - Top - End - #749
    Ogre in the Playground

They've been balancing Superman to threats more than once a month since 1938, I'd say he's pretty well balanced.

And here's another Mary Sue: Batman! Honestly we can keep naming superheroes and call them Mary Sues as long as we want, it'll be fun (The Flash! Robin! Green Lantern! Thor!).
    My point is that the Doctor started out human and evolved into a high-tech race that regenerates through many lives, but he is still quite mortal. He's good at getting out of things, but he also runs into difficulties that he cannot surmount with his plan quite often.

Superman took a while to amass his current trove of abilities, but he started out with incredible abilities and is effectively immortal (aging notwithstanding), whereas the Doctor is only seemingly immortal due to his regeneration abilities and time travel; in theory someone could lock him up and be done with it over the course of a few weeks.

Though yes, this is fun
    The biggest Mary Sue is obviously Picard. They've been exploring space for generations now, how come Picard constantly finds some fascinating phenomenon every week?! Sure he might not be superpowered, but he keeps on finding all these things!
    Last edited by Squire Doodad; 2019-08-27 at 08:26 PM.

-Squire Doodad

30. - Top - End - #750

Honestly, I feel like Luke actually has reasonable power for who he is. Given the Doylist setting - quick power gain for movie reasons, son of force guy, no past instances of this to compare power to - Luke actually does pretty well. There are some issues with him suddenly taking command of shooting Death Stars like Womp Rats and how he goes one on one with a (holding back) apparent pure evil Sith Lord despite having little training, but most of those are understandable and work out to be the result of the medium and suspension of disbelief instead of sudden plot holes.
    Take away the other movies for a moment. He's the son of a Jedi Knight. What's that have to do with anything? There's no explanation of it being genetic, or inherited, just "oh hey let me teach you." and, after a few minutes and Ben teaching Luke one thing, he can make a remarkably difficult shot without the assistance of a targeting computer. Heck, he even gets to be one of the few who gets to take a shot! He's assigned wingmen to protect him, he's been given command of an attack run on the Death Star, all on the say-so of one of his friends saying he's the best bush pilot in the Outer Rim. The same kid who was excitedly pointing and yelling "what's that?!" at the console on the Falcon not a few hours prior.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    Wait, what? I thought we were talking about horrible storytelling and how it isn't fair to blame the obvious character for being butchered by a poorly-presented narrative
    Ah, well, that too.